News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

PA Turnpike News

Started by mightyace, February 16, 2009, 05:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PHLBOS

Quote from: ixnay on February 23, 2016, 08:32:07 PM
The only reason I responded to your posts in Reply #1368 in the manner that I did was that based on your wording (particularly the I-176/Morgantown interchange comment) it gave one the impression that the info. you posted has since been outdated.

Quote from: ixnay on February 23, 2016, 08:32:07 PMPer Google satellite, that transition from 476 north to 276 west is free of stoplights (and I noticed the couple of at-speed E-ZPass lanes in each direction at the toll plaza).
Yes, but one still uses another road (Germantown Pike) as a means of reaching the westbound Turnpike (I-276).  The only reason why there's no traffic light between the 2 interchanges (Blue Route & Turnpike) along Germantown Pike is because of their close proximity.

Quote from: ixnay on February 23, 2016, 08:32:07 PMIIRC for the first 12 months after the Mid-County Expressway opened full-length, the only direct access from same to the turnpike was the ramp to 276 east.  All movements from the Blue Route to 276 west and the northbound NE Ext. were via Germantown Pike.
Such was obviously a temporary condition due to the northbound overpass being overhauled; it was raised to accommodate the then-new directional ramp (from I-276 West to I-476 South) underneath.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

ARMOURERERIC

I follow the construction projects on the PTC rather diligently.  I have wondered to awhile why the separate websites for projects on the eastern portion are so lacking in progress photos and updates vs the western projects?

cpzilliacus

If someone is going to rob money from any toll road toll plaza, why not rob one that is busy (and presumably has lots of cash transactions)? Fort Littleton does not seem to be a very busy place when compared to Pennsylvania Turnpike toll barriers at places like Warrendale, New Stanton, Breezewood, Carlisle, and Valley Forge.

AP via MCall.com: Turnpike worker recalls attack that left three dead

QuoteA Pennsylvania Turnpike toll collector who survived a botched robbery attempt last month that left three people dead said she was terrified but her instincts took over during the attack by a retired state trooper, who was killed by police responding to her call for help.

QuoteMartha Berkstresser told The Associated Press in an interview last week that her "mind was going 24 mph" after Clarence Briggs pulled a gun on her and co-worker Danny Crouse as they were counting money at a booth in the Fort Littleton interchange during the predawn twilight on Sunday, March 20.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

CobaltYoshi27

I honestly just go I-80 anyway.  :)
I's traveled:
10(TX) 20(TX) 24(TN) 30(TX) 35(TX) 40(TN) 45(TX) 64(KY-VA) 65(TN-KY) 66(VA-DC) 68(WV-MD) 69(TX) 70(IN-MD) 71(OH) 75(TN-MI) 76(OH-NJ) 77(VA-OH) 78(PA-NJ) 79(WV-PA) 80(OH-NJ) 81(TN-NY) 83(MD-PA) 84(NY-MA) 86(PA-NY) 87(NY) 88(NY) 89(NH-VT) 90(OH-MA) 91(CT-VT) 93(MA-NH) 95(NC-MA) 99(PA)

cpzilliacus

TheTimes-Tribune.comTurnpike, PennDOT officials announce Scranton Beltway plans

QuoteHang on Interstate 81 drivers, help is on the way.

QuoteHowever, it will cost you and is at least seven years away.

QuoteState transportation officials outlined more detailed plans Thursday for a proposed $170 million Scranton Beltway designed to divert traffic off the busiest local stretch of Interstate 81 onto the Pennsylvania Turnpike.

The beltway probably won't be ready until 2023.

The project would mark the largest local highway construction project since the 1990s construction of the $460 million Casey Highway across Lackawanna County, state Sen. John Blake said.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Rothman

Quote from: cpzilliacus on May 03, 2016, 12:23:35 AM
TheTimes-Tribune.com:  Turnpike, PennDOT officials announce Scranton Beltway plans

QuoteHang on Interstate 81 drivers, help is on the way.

QuoteHowever, it will cost you and is at least seven years away.

QuoteState transportation officials outlined more detailed plans Thursday for a proposed $170 million Scranton Beltway designed to divert traffic off the busiest local stretch of Interstate 81 onto the Pennsylvania Turnpike.

The beltway probably won't be ready until 2023.

The project would mark the largest local highway construction project since the 1990s construction of the $460 million Casey Highway across Lackawanna County, state Sen. John Blake said.

I'm not sure that at-speed tolling plazas would greatly increase the use of I-476/Northeast Extension along that route.  Probably would go up a little, but I still see I-81's numbers staying around where they are despite the improvements.

Really odd that they call it the "beltway" -- seems to imply that they're building a new road when really, it's just totally revamping the I-81/I-476 connections.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

jeffandnicole

Interesting that they think the majority of traffic that would make use of the tolled bypass would be truckers, which as a whole seek out ways to avoid tolls.  Wonder how they came upon that analysis.

vdeane

Indeed.  The I-81 junctions definitely could use improvement, but this is not the reason why.  People will still avoid I-476 because they don't want to pay.  It won't do anything for anyone going to/from I-380, I-84, or US 6.  It won't do anything if you're getting off anywhere in or near Scranton.  About the only people it would attract is people from NY going to/from points south on I-81 who want to go 70 instead of 55.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Mr_Northside

Quote from: Rothman on May 03, 2016, 08:03:42 AM
Really odd that they call it the "beltway" -- seems to imply that they're building a new road when really, it's just totally revamping the I-81/I-476 connections.

Yeah... maybe just "Bypass" would have been better than Beltway.

The only time I've been thru the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton area on a family trip, I think the summer between my 9th-10th grades in the mid 90's, my dad made a point of taking this stretch of the NE Extension to expressly avoid I-81 in the area, and thought it well worth the money (though the tolls were a good bit less then, and I think the highway was still PA-9 at the time)

At any rate, since PennDOT admitted they're pretty much not going to do any widening or major improvements to I-81 there, it's better than nothing.
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

Flyer78

Providing faster access to... Kaiser Rd?

jemacedo9

I travel that area 3x or 4x a year; I tend to use I-476 instead of I-81 to avoid the traffic...even if it's not stop and go on I-81, it's still much more crowded and annoying than I-476.  I-476 is usually virtually empty.

BUT...my travels usually keep me on I-476 headed to/from Philly.  So the extra $2 in EZPass tolls for me is worth it.  What I can't see is...people on I-81 either direction, who are going to stay on I-81 north to NY or south to Hazleton, deciding to jump off onto I-476 for that 10 mile stretch.

vdeane

Perhaps they could install travel time signs or otherwise emphasize the difference in speed limit?

Another idea would be to swap I-81 and I-476, thereby emphasizing the PTC as a bypass?

Quote from: Mr_Northside on May 03, 2016, 03:06:16 PM

The only time I've been thru the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton area on a family trip, I think the summer between my 9th-10th grades in the mid 90's, my dad made a point of taking this stretch of the NE Extension to expressly avoid I-81 in the area, and thought it well worth the money (though the tolls were a good bit less then, and I think the highway was still PA-9 at the time)

At any rate, since PennDOT admitted they're pretty much not going to do any widening or major improvements to I-81 there, it's better than nothing.
Well, one would be able to loop around Scranton like one would in any other beltway if the new junctions have all movements, but the lack of local exits on I-476 begs the question of why one could possibly WANT to.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

74/171FAN

Quote from: vdeane on May 03, 2016, 05:29:30 PM
Perhaps they could install travel time signs or otherwise emphasize the difference in speed limit?

Another idea would be to swap I-81 and I-476, thereby emphasizing the PTC as a bypass?

Quote from: Mr_Northside on May 03, 2016, 03:06:16 PM

Well, one would be able to loop around Scranton like one would in any other beltway if the new junctions have all movements, but the lack of local exits on I-476 begs the question of why one could possibly WANT to.

I mainly see this as tolled express lanes without the congestion pricing or the HOV aspect.  Honestly, the travel times could be there now if the PTC and PennDOT were interested in having their ITS units work together. (if the PTC was interested in doing that, you would probably some sort of PA Turnpike destination when heading into King of Prussia on I-76 WB, instead of just the time to US 30 in Exton via US 202 SB).
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

briantroutman

Not that I'm saying they should do this, but once a high-speed direct connection between I-81 and the NE Extension is in place, is there anything that would prevent PennDOT from signing something like "THRU TRAFFIC - Harrisburg"  on I-476 and "LOCAL TRAFFIC - Scranton"  on I-81? Kind of like with I-495 in Wilmington or I-470 in Wheeling?

Alps

I've noticed more willingness to use toll roads in Texas, where people jump on to avoid delays on the free parallel Interstates (and other state/US freeways, expressways, and arterials). I think if you get enough congestion and there is no free-flowing untolled route, the tolled route will pick up volume.

jcn

Here's one tip when traveling on the PA turnpike.  If you are traveling westbound on the turnpike, and you get on the turnpike at or before the Lebanon Interchange, always stop at the Lawn Service Plaza.  This is because the next service plaza, Blue Mountain, is not for 90 miles which is the longest gap between service plazas westbound wise.  And while along the first half of the gap, there are a spew of exits in the Harrisburg area that have nearby accommodations in case of an emergency, as soon as you pass the Carlisle exit, there is not another exit before the Blue Mountain Service Plaza, and that service plaza isn't for another 40 miles.  I share this because my brother went to University of Pittsburgh and I'm from the Philly area, so my family would travel frequently to Pittsburgh on the turnpike, and one time, we were traveling on the stretch between the Carlisle exit and the Blue Mountain Service Plaza, and my mother had to use the restroom really bad, and we were so close to running out of gas.  Fortunately, we made it to Blue Mountain before disaster occured, but we were all so worried.  Even since then, we would always stop at Lawn.

Does anyone have any other tips for traveling the turnpike?

CobaltYoshi27

Quote from: Alps on May 03, 2016, 11:04:07 PM
I've noticed more willingness to use toll roads in Texas, where people jump on to avoid delays on the free parallel Interstates (and other state/US freeways, expressways, and arterials). I think if you get enough congestion and there is no free-flowing untolled route, the tolled route will pick up volume.

It also helps that the speed limit is higher on them, at least in Dallas/Fort Worth.
I's traveled:
10(TX) 20(TX) 24(TN) 30(TX) 35(TX) 40(TN) 45(TX) 64(KY-VA) 65(TN-KY) 66(VA-DC) 68(WV-MD) 69(TX) 70(IN-MD) 71(OH) 75(TN-MI) 76(OH-NJ) 77(VA-OH) 78(PA-NJ) 79(WV-PA) 80(OH-NJ) 81(TN-NY) 83(MD-PA) 84(NY-MA) 86(PA-NY) 87(NY) 88(NY) 89(NH-VT) 90(OH-MA) 91(CT-VT) 93(MA-NH) 95(NC-MA) 99(PA)

noelbotevera

Quote from: CobaltYoshi27 on May 04, 2016, 01:12:27 PM
Quote from: Alps on May 03, 2016, 11:04:07 PM

It also helps that the speed limit is higher on them, at least in Dallas/Fort Worth.
Well, I-35 between San Antonio and the Austin area has TX 130 as the tolled alternative, and I-35 gets plenty of traffic. TX 130 gets cricket sounds everywhere, as when it had opened, Section 5 and 6 had only 6000 AADT as of 2013. Texas A&M Transportation Institute found incentives to use TX 130, but although through trucks are a small part of traffic of I-35, there's still a lot of trucks there than on TX 130. Even on the 85 mph segment, there's still not a lot of traffic, and the 130 Concession Company went bankrupt too.

So it's essentially a gamble if that toll road picks up volume, even if the free road is congested.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

MASTERNC

Quote from: jcn on May 04, 2016, 01:00:39 PM
Here's one tip when traveling on the PA turnpike.  If you are traveling westbound on the turnpike, and you get on the turnpike at or before the Lebanon Interchange, always stop at the Lawn Service Plaza.  This is because the next service plaza, Blue Mountain, is not for 90 miles which is the longest gap between service plazas westbound wise.  And while along the first half of the gap, there are a spew of exits in the Harrisburg area that have nearby accommodations in case of an emergency, as soon as you pass the Carlisle exit, there is not another exit before the Blue Mountain Service Plaza, and that service plaza isn't for another 40 miles.  I share this because my brother went to University of Pittsburgh and I'm from the Philly area, so my family would travel frequently to Pittsburgh on the turnpike, and one time, we were traveling on the stretch between the Carlisle exit and the Blue Mountain Service Plaza, and my mother had to use the restroom really bad, and we were so close to running out of gas.  Fortunately, we made it to Blue Mountain before disaster occured, but we were all so worried.  Even since then, we would always stop at Lawn.

I'm not sure it is 90 miles between Lawn and Blue Mountain.  I'm seeing the distance as 56 miles per the PA Turnpike website - it is still on the long side though.  The largest gap is west of New Stanton, given there's no longer a service plaza between there and the Ohio state line.  It's at least 77 miles between plazas in that case.

CobaltYoshi27

Quote from: MASTERNC on May 04, 2016, 08:40:41 PM

I'm not sure it is 90 miles between Lawn and Blue Mountain.  I'm seeing the distance as 56 miles per the PA Turnpike website - it is still on the long side though.  The largest gap is west of New Stanton, given there's no longer a service plaza between there and the Ohio state line.  It's at least 77 miles between plazas in that case.

I have an even better tip. Just drive I-80 instead.
For real, drive a little more cautiously because that road is prone to accidents.
I's traveled:

cpzilliacus

Quote from: CobaltYoshi27 on May 04, 2016, 08:42:14 PM
For real, drive a little more cautiously because that road is prone to accidents.

For me (living in Maryland), I-80 is not at all a feasible or worthwhile alternative to the I-70/I-76 part of the Pennsylvania Turnpike, even though that trip includes Breezewood. 

In some cases (depending on destination) I-68 to I-79 or even to Turnpike 43 is a workable bypass route.

CobaltYoshi27

Quote from: cpzilliacus on May 04, 2016, 08:55:33 PM
Quote from: CobaltYoshi27 on May 04, 2016, 08:42:14 PM

For me (living in Maryland), I-80 is not at all a feasible or worthwhile alternative to the I-70/I-76 part of the Pennsylvania Turnpike, even though that trip includes Breezewood. 

In some cases (depending on destination) I-68 to I-79 or even to Turnpike 43 is a workable bypass route.

For those living in New York, use I-80. For those in Maryland, use I-68. I actually like I-68 more, but I live in New York so it is a bit out of my way.
I's traveled:

SignBridge

As one who has driven both I-80 and the Pa. Tpk. between New Jersey and the Altoona-State College area, I prefer the Turnpike even with the tolls. I-80 is a horribly boring drive. Miles and miles of nothing to see. At least the Turnpike has service areas, interesting tunnels and is generally more scenic.

noelbotevera

Quote from: MASTERNC on May 04, 2016, 08:40:41 PM

Then again, how did the old Zelienople service plaza go bankrupt and close? That made the gap between services much more tolerable, as it was about 25 miles to the next service plaza at the Mahoning Valley service plaza on the Ohio Turnpike. Although it was 56 miles from New Stanton to there, it's a tolerable gap, and 25 miles is also decent. Would've helped a lot, as Pittsburgh is really far from there.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

CobaltYoshi27

Quote from: SignBridge on May 04, 2016, 09:24:05 PM
As one who has driven both I-80 and the Pa. Tpk. between New Jersey and the Altoona-State College area, I prefer the Turnpike even with the tolls. I-80 is a horribly boring drive. Miles and miles of nothing to see. At least the Turnpike has service areas, interesting tunnels and is generally more scenic.

I've been on both as well, and I find I-80 to be more interesting and scenic.
I's traveled:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.