News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

PA Turnpike News

Started by mightyace, February 16, 2009, 05:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

odditude

Quote from: Roadsguy on July 15, 2016, 02:35:14 PM
Even after the widening, there's still a lot of unused pavement space on the Northeast Extension at the Mid-County Interchange. Does anyone know what it is or was supposed to be used for?
the imagery i'm seeing there is from mid-construction. it's currently 3 lanes in each direction.

Roadsguy

Quote from: odditude on July 15, 2016, 04:25:30 PM
Quote from: Roadsguy on July 15, 2016, 02:35:14 PM
Even after the widening, there's still a lot of unused pavement space on the Northeast Extension at the Mid-County Interchange. Does anyone know what it is or was supposed to be used for?
the imagery i'm seeing there is from mid-construction. it's currently 3 lanes in each direction.

Turn on 3D. That shows it finished in that section, and you can see that not only is that unused space still there, but it seems like they added even more.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

Flyer78

Tolls to rise six percent toll increase on the way in 2017.

"Revenues from this increase will fund a newly approved, 10-year spending plan which invests more than $5.77 billion in our system in the coming decade – a large part of which will support ongoing total reconstruction and widening projects."

Revenues from the 2017 increase will also allow the PTC to fund its annual requirement to support off-Turnpike ground-transportation enhancements. Since 2007, the PTC has been providing supplemental funding to the commonwealth that is invested by PennDOT into non-tolled highways and public-transportation providers. Starting in Fiscal Year 2015, PTC payments have funded transit exclusively.

https://www.paturnpike.com/press/2016/20160719153742.htm

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Flyer78 on July 20, 2016, 10:26:05 AM

Pittsburgh Post Gazette: Pennsylvania Turnpike to raise tolls 9th year in a row - Commission increases fees 6 percent, reviews all construction projects

QuoteThe Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission's chairman says the agency isn't in financial trouble today but it needs to take steps to avoid problems in the future.

QuoteThat's why the commission Tuesday voted to increase tolls for the ninth year in a row, review all construction projects to make sure the agency can afford them and provide close scrutiny on all hirings. The 6 percent toll hike will raise the cost of a trip from Ohio to New Jersey from $48.90 to $51.85 and from $34.93 to $37 for E-ZPass users, who received a toll break several years ago to encourage more motorists to use the cashless system.

Quote"Right now, I can say no, we're not in financial trouble,"  said commission Chairman Sean Logan of Monroeville. "I want to make sure that doesn't become a yes in two or five or 10 years."

QuotePart of the reason for the toll increase is the turnpike's obligation to pay PennDOT $450 million a year under a 2007 state law. Initially that money was for general PennDOT expenses, but two years ago the obligation was changed to earmark the money for public transit only and cut the payment after 2023 to $50 million a year.

QuoteThe 2007 law, Act 44, envisioned a stream of revenue from higher turnpike tolls and new tolls on Interstate 80 flowing from the commission to PennDOT. Despite the Federal Highway Administration's rejection of I-80 tolls that spring, the turnpike still is required to pay PennDOT $450 million per year and to raise tolls as necessary to meet all of its funding obligations.

QuoteTo meet those obligations now, the turnpike has been borrowing. Mr. Logan said the commission collects about $1 billion a year in tolls, has debt payments of about $600 million annually and operating expenses of about $380 million a year, a figure that doesn't include road construction and maintenance.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Alps

Quote from: cpzilliacus on July 20, 2016, 11:56:12 AM

Pittsburgh Post Gazette: Pennsylvania Turnpike to raise tolls 9th year in a row - Commission increases fees 6 percent, reviews all construction projects

QuoteThe Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission's chairman says the agency isn't in financial trouble today but it needs to take steps to avoid problems in the future.

QuoteThat's why the commission Tuesday voted to increase tolls for the ninth year in a row, review all construction projects to make sure the agency can afford them and provide close scrutiny on all hirings. The 6 percent toll hike will raise the cost of a trip from Ohio to New Jersey from $48.90 to $51.85 and from $34.93 to $37 for E-ZPass users, who received a toll break several years ago to encourage more motorists to use the cashless system.

Quote"Right now, I can say no, we're not in financial trouble,"  said commission Chairman Sean Logan of Monroeville. "I want to make sure that doesn't become a yes in two or five or 10 years."

QuotePart of the reason for the toll increase is the turnpike's obligation to pay PennDOT $450 million a year under a 2007 state law. Initially that money was for general PennDOT expenses, but two years ago the obligation was changed to earmark the money for public transit only and cut the payment after 2023 to $50 million a year.

QuoteThe 2007 law, Act 44, envisioned a stream of revenue from higher turnpike tolls and new tolls on Interstate 80 flowing from the commission to PennDOT. Despite the Federal Highway Administration's rejection of I-80 tolls that spring, the turnpike still is required to pay PennDOT $450 million per year and to raise tolls as necessary to meet all of its funding obligations.

QuoteTo meet those obligations now, the turnpike has been borrowing. Mr. Logan said the commission collects about $1 billion a year in tolls, has debt payments of about $600 million annually and operating expenses of about $380 million a year, a figure that doesn't include road construction and maintenance.
They are insane. This is insane. $52 for a car to go 300 miles and change. The NJ Turnpike Authority is able to get a lot more work done for a lot less per mile.

cl94

Quote from: Alps on July 20, 2016, 09:44:59 PM
Quote from: cpzilliacus on July 20, 2016, 11:56:12 AM

They are insane. This is insane. $52 for a car to go 300 miles and change. The NJ Turnpike Authority is able to get a lot more work done for a lot less per mile.

Yeah, but NJTA doesn't have Act 44 to deal with. Half of the toll revenue goes just to that.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

cpzilliacus

Currently about $35 (with E-ZPass) for a car to go from Ohio to New Jersey (nearly 357 miles), works out to about 10¢ a mile.

About the same (also with E-ZPass) the other direction. 

Now I can see that PTC probably has higher per-mile operating costs than NJTA because of the higher elevations of the E-W Mainline west of Carlisle, and the N.E. Extension north of  Lehigh Valley, plus the tunnels.

Much (all?) of the funding of Act 44 payments to PennDOT have been funded by the PTC selling bonds - an activity that drove New York City to the edge of bankruptcy  in  the 1970's.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Alps

Quote from: cpzilliacus on July 20, 2016, 11:09:02 PM

Currently about $35 (with E-ZPass) for a car to go from Ohio to New Jersey (nearly 357 miles), works out to about 10¢ a mile.

About the same (also with E-ZPass) the other direction. 

Now I can see that PTC probably has higher per-mile operating costs than NJTA because of the higher elevations of the E-W Mainline west of Carlisle, and the N.E. Extension north of  Lehigh Valley, plus the tunnels.

Much (all?) of the funding of Act 44 payments to PennDOT have been funded by the PTC selling bonds - an activity that drove New York City to the edge of bankruptcy  in  the 1970.
It's a bunch of trouble. Massachusetts dissolved their toll agency and I can see PA having to go the same route.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Alps on July 20, 2016, 11:43:45 PM
It's a bunch of trouble. Massachusetts dissolved their toll agency and I can see PA having to go the same route.

In theory, having an independent toll agency means a buffer (in the form of the agency's board of directors) between the agency and state elected officials (say, ummm, like those in the Pennsylvania legislature) that want to raid the toll agency's coffers for money because they do not want to raise taxes (especially on motor fuels) to collect - and to some extent to isolate the toll agency from politics. 

In the case of the  Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission, the board has done none of those things, and has hampered the PTC's efforts to build legitimate (and needed) highway projects (I-95/I-276 interchange in Bristol Township or added tube(s) or bypass of the run-down Allegheny Mountain Tunnel, anyone?).

So in the case of Pennsylvania, yes, getting rid of the PTC and making it a division of PennDOT might just result in a better Turnpike (I think transparency might be better as a part of the DOT).

Compare and contrast with  NJTA, which does give a substantial sum  of money annually to NJDOT (I do not remember how much), but still charges reasonable per-mile tolls and generally keeps the roads under its jurisdiction in decent shape (my gripes are that some of the bridge decks on the New Jersey Turnpike, while in apparently good condition, have expansion joints that make for a very bumpy  ride (especially north of Exit 13); and the lack of reassurance assemblies and signs showing the number of miles to several control cities, northbound and southbound).

noelbotevera

I've also noticed that the original section from 1940 has very narrow lanes. That might be the result of the PTC doing nothing.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

cpzilliacus

Quote from: noelbotevera on July 21, 2016, 09:18:52 PM
I've also noticed that the original section from 1940 has very narrow lanes. That might be the result of the PTC doing nothing.

Where sections of the Turnpike have been reconstructed, I believe the lanes have been made wider as part of the reconstruction process.

Alps

Quote from: cpzilliacus on July 21, 2016, 08:48:34 PM
Quote from: Alps on July 20, 2016, 11:43:45 PM

In theory, having an independent toll agency means a buffer (in the form of the agency's board of directors) between the agency and state elected officials (say, ummm, like those in the Pennsylvania legislature) that want to raid the toll agency's coffers for money because they do not want to raise taxes (especially on motor fuels) - and to some extent to isolate the  toll agency from politics. 

In the case of the  Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission, the board has done none of those things, and has hampered the PTC's efforts to build legitimate (and needed) highway projects (I-95/I-276 interchange in Bristol Township or added tube(s) or bypass of the run-down Allegheny Mountain Tunnel, anyone?).

So in the case of Pennsylvania, yes, getting rid of the PTC and making it a division of PennDOT might just result in a better Turnpike (I think transparency might be better as a part of the DOT).

Compare and contrast with  NJTA, which does give a substantial sum  of money annually to NJDOT (I do not remember how much), but still charges reasonable per-mile tolls and generally keeps the roads under its jurisdiction in decent shape (my gripes are that some of the bridge decks on the New Jersey Turnpike, while in apparently good condition, have expansion joints that make for a very bumpy  ride (especially north of Exit 13); and the lack of reassurance assemblies and signs showing the number of miles to several control cities, northbound and southbound).
NJTA does not subsidize NJDOT. They only contribute money to projects that benefit the Turnpike (for example, the Pulaski Skyway reconstruction).

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Alps on July 22, 2016, 12:07:24 AM
NJTA does not subsidize NJDOT. They only contribute money to projects that benefit the Turnpike (for example, the Pulaski Skyway reconstruction).

I read someplace that there was some sort of systematic diversion of revenue to NJDOT, but I also know that you  know better than someplace.

cpzilliacus

KDKA NewsRadio 1020: Pa. Auditor General To Audit Turnpike Commission

QuoteThe Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission approved a six percent toll increase earlier this week, partly to keep itself out of future financial trouble.

QuoteThe toll increases, which will take effect next year, are to help cover debt payments that currently take up about a third of the Turnpike Commission's yearly budget.

QuoteThis will be the ninth year in a row the rates go up, partly to pay PennDOT for road maintenance by way of a 2007 law that requires them to do so.

QuotePennsylvania Auditor General Eugene DePasquale on Thursday told KDKA Radio's James Garrity he will audit the Turnpike Commission.

EDIT: A more detailed version of this story in the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette can be found here.

Rothman

Quote from: cpzilliacus on July 22, 2016, 12:37:08 AM

I read someplace that there was some sort of systematic diversion of revenue to NJDOT, but I also know that you  know better than someplace.

Heh.  Reminds me of the interstate mileage of the Thruway being used by NYSDOT and FHWA to determine the old Interstate Maintenance funding (and any other funding where it was a factor)...and then NYSDOT keeping it without giving any to the Thruway.  Worked pretty well; too bad Interstate Maintenance went the way of the dodo with MAP-21 (absorbed into National Highway Performance Program funding).

(personal opinion expressed)
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

jeffandnicole

The NJTA HEAVILY subsidizes NJDOT, to the tune of over $300 million a year.  Is that money going to the Puluski Skyway project?  Maybe....but the NJTA Financials don't specify that. They simply show it as a cash outflow from the NJTA to NJDOT.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: jeffandnicole on July 22, 2016, 10:16:30 AM
The NJTA HEAVILY subsidizes NJDOT, to the tune of over $300 million a year.  Is that money going to the Puluski Skyway project?  Maybe....but the NJTA Financials don't specify that. They simply show it as a cash outflow from the NJTA to NJDOT.

As a (sometime) NJTA patron, I don't mind if some of the tolls I pay are going to projects that improve the network connectivity of the Turnpike (especially) and the Garden State Parkway.  If the Turnpike is subsidizing the Pulaski Skyway reconstruction to some extent, well, I think that is a good use of (some) Turnpike money (though as I have said before, I would really prefer that the Skyway be turned-over to the NJTA to toll, maintain and operate).

cpzilliacus

But that $300 million is less than the Act 44/Act 89 that the Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission is diverting to PennDOT - and beyond that, the Act 44/Act 89 payments are bleeding the PTC white, while the money that the New Jersey Turnpike Authority sends to NJDOT does not seem to impair the NJTA from getting its work done.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: cpzilliacus on July 22, 2016, 12:33:11 PM

But that $300 million is less than the Act 44/Act 89 that the Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission is diverting to PennDOT - and beyond that, the Act 44/Act 89 are bleeding the PTC white, while the money that the New Jersey Turnpike Authority sends to NJDOT does not seem to impair the NJTA from getting its work done.

There's a noticeable degrading of the Turnpike from how it used to be.  You'll find some asphalt rutting going on and other maintenance that isn't as kept up on as it used to be.   It's still superior to many other roads, but the slight deferring of maintenance is a bit noticeable to frequent users in areas that haven't been touched for a while (especially south of the 6-9 widening project).

It also prevents major projects that could've been funded today from getting constructed.  They've invested heavily into their 2 roads over the past decade, and due to a $200 million savings in the 6-9 widening they actually bumped up some other capital projects.  But that doesn't mean other projects haven't been deferred.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: jeffandnicole on July 22, 2016, 01:03:03 PM
There's a noticeable degrading of the Turnpike from how it used to be.  You'll find some asphalt rutting going on and other maintenance that isn't as kept up on as it used to be.   It's still superior to many other roads, but the slight deferring of maintenance is a bit noticeable to frequent users in areas that haven't been touched for a while (especially south of the 6-9 widening project).

It also prevents major projects that could've been funded today from getting constructed.  They've invested heavily into their 2 roads over the past decade, and due to a $200 million savings in the 6-9 widening they actually bumped up some other capital projects.  But that doesn't mean other projects haven't been deferred.

My  big gripe with Turnpike maintenance, as I suggested elsewhere, is the rough ride over many (most?) of the expansion joints of the elevated sections of the road, especially north  of Exit 13.   Otherwise, I think it is in  pretty decent  condition.

Is as perfectly maintained as the short (but immaculate) I-95 across New Hampshire?  Probably not.  The 14 or 15 miles of the New Hampshire Turnpike are as close to perfection as I have seen on any part of I-95, be it tolled or "free."

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Rothman on July 22, 2016, 08:19:59 AM
Quote from: cpzilliacus on July 22, 2016, 12:37:08 AM

Heh.  Reminds me of the interstate mileage of the Thruway being used by NYSDOT and FHWA to determine the old Interstate Maintenance funding (and any other funding where it was a factor)...and then NYSDOT keeping it without giving any to the Thruway.  Worked pretty well; too bad Interstate Maintenance went the way of the dodo with MAP-21 (absorbed into National Highway Performance Program funding).

(personal opinion expressed)

I believe other states with mileage of roads that were part of the Interstate system but belonged to legacy toll roads did the same thing.

Alps

Yeah, it's not just a blanket payment. There may be some money tied up in other things like the exchange of the free I-80 section and the free Parkway sections that ended up resulting in certain obligations. That I couldn't swear to or against.

qguy

So... any, um,  news on the Turnpike that's the actual, you know, TITLE of this thread??

noelbotevera

It seems they're repairing the Blue and Kittatinny Mountain Tunnels, as there was contraflow and what seems to be a temporary crossover to the EB lanes. WB lanes were closed.

More widening/repaving has been occurring. They're mostly near Pittsburgh.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

jpi

Well, I just came across an interesting article in Lancaster Online, if this holds true there is going to be a TON of traffic using I-80, US 22 and I-68 to get from eastern PA to points west and vice versa in the next 20 years :banghead:
http://lancasteronline.com/news/local/to-cross-pa-on-the-turnpike-it-s-possible-by/article_2d9be5d4-501c-11e6-81cc-439e7e7ee217.html
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.