News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

PA Turnpike News

Started by mightyace, February 16, 2009, 05:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CentralPAGal

I was just on the recently widened portion (mp220-226) near Carlisle the other day and noticed that part of that stretch seems to have been reconstructed with only 4' median shoulders (but still 6 lanes) rather than a full 10 or 12' shoulder. Anyone have some idea why this might have been done? Just some way to cut costs? Something else?

It also appears that preliminary work has begun on the last section between Carlisle and Blue Mtn. Saw a couple of bridges being reconstructed, and tree clearing in the right of way zone.
Clinched:
I: 83, 97, 176, 180 (PA), 270 (MD), 283, 395 (MD), 470 (OH-WV), 471, 795 (MD)
Traveled:
I: 70, 71, 75, 76 (E), 78, 79, 80, 81, 86 (E), 95, 99, 270 (OH), 275 (KY-IN-OH), 376, 495 (MD-VA), 579, 595 (MD), 695 (MD)
US: 1, 9, 11, 13, 15, 22, 25, 30, 40, 42, 50, 113, 119, 127, 209, 220, 222, 301

MASTERNC

Quote from: CentralPAguy on December 16, 2016, 11:07:31 PM
I was just on the recently widened portion (mp220-226) near Carlisle the other day and noticed that part of that stretch seems to have been reconstructed with only 4' median shoulders (but still 6 lanes) rather than a full 10 or 12' shoulder. Anyone have some idea why this might have been done? Just some way to cut costs? Something else?

It also appears that preliminary work has begun on the last section between Carlisle and Blue Mtn. Saw a couple of bridges being reconstructed, and tree clearing in the right of way zone.

Just saw on the website the MP 220-226 project is no longer listed as active, and the web cam at the Carlisle interchange shows six lanes.  They finished that last piece in a hurry since Thanksgiving.

Flyer78

The E-ZPass auxiliary ramps at Quakertown, at least Northbound, are now open. There is signage indicating E-ZPass only for exit 31-A, Cash/Tickets/E-ZPass 31-B. It looked like the southbound ramps from PA-63 are open as well.

74/171FAN

Quote from: Flyer78 on December 23, 2016, 11:16:13 PM
The E-ZPass auxiliary ramps at Lansdale, at least Northbound, are now open. There is signage indicating E-ZPass only for exit 31-A, Cash/Tickets/E-ZPass 31-B. It looked like the southbound ramps from PA-63 are open as well.

FTFY.  They were open December 4th and December 11th respectively.

I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

MASTERNC

Delaware River Bridge was closed today after NJ TPK inspectors found a crack on a truss.  It's creating a travel nightmare right now with everyone trying to use the smaller bridges or squeezing across the Scudder Falls Bridge.  There's no word on when it will reopen.

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/real-time/Delaware-River-Bridge-closed.html

ixnay

So why isn't the connector open from U.S. 130 (NJTP exit 6A) east to exit 6?  (According to Google Maps) That doesn't make sense.

ixnay

Don'tKnowYet

Quote from: ixnay on January 20, 2017, 09:42:25 PM
So why isn't the connector open from U.S. 130 (NJTP exit 6A) east to exit 6?  (According to Google Maps) That doesn't make sense.

ixnay

They also closed the 130 Interchange in full about a year ago when that westbound dump truck slammed into the new AET overhead reader and caught fire.  When it happened, i snooped around with friends that might know and the general consensus is that Interchange 6 has to close completely because there is no way to know who is destined to go west and who is destined to go east.  So if you entered and they closed at the ramp split AND you wanted to go west but only had the option to go east, you would be sent to an unfounded U Turn at the cost of an unnecessary toll.  So they also don't want anyone backing up back to 130 when they found out they were screwed.

Alps

Is it that hard to put up temporary ground signs on 130 saying "TO NJTP ONLY"? I can see it being harder from the NJTP mainline, but on the other hand the detour is easily signed from 130.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: MASTERNC on January 20, 2017, 07:20:59 PM
Delaware River Bridge was closed today after NJ TPK inspectors found a crack on a truss.  It's creating a travel nightmare right now with everyone trying to use the smaller bridges or squeezing across the Scudder Falls Bridge.  There's no word on when it will reopen.

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/real-time/Delaware-River-Bridge-closed.html

CBS-Philly Channel 3: Emergency Repairs Close Delaware River Turnpike Bridge

Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission: UPDATE: Assessment of Delaware River Turnpike Bridge Continues - Bridge will remain closed through tomorrow at a minimum
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

ixnay

Quote from: Don'tKnowYet on January 20, 2017, 11:00:00 PM

ixnay

They also closed the 130 Interchange in full about a year ago when that westbound dump truck slammed into the new AET overhead reader and caught fire.  When it happened, i snooped around with friends that might know and the general consensus is that Interchange 6 has to close completely because there is no way to know who is destined to go west and who is destined to go east.  So if you entered and they closed at the ramp split AND you wanted to go west but only had the option to go east, you would be sent to an unfounded U Turn at the cost of an unnecessary toll.  So they also don't want anyone backing up back to 130 when they found out they were screwed.

You mean that dump truck was so high that it failed to clear the reader?  What was in that truck that made it cook?  Or did it careen out of control and hit the shoulder stanchion?

ixnay

ekt8750

Quote from: ixnay on January 21, 2017, 07:47:59 AM

ixnay

You mean that dump truck was so high that it failed to clear the reader?  What was in that truck that made it cook?  Or did it careen out of control and hit the shoulder stanchion?

ixnay

Third possibility, said dump truck could have been driving with its hopper raised (seen that happen way too often).

Mr. Matté

Quote from: ekt8750 on January 21, 2017, 02:47:47 PM
Quote from: ixnay on January 21, 2017, 07:47:59 AM

ixnay

ixnay

Third possibility, said dump truck could have been driving with its hopper raised (seen that happen way too often).

If you're referring to October of last year, the dump truck actually brought down power lines west of US 13: http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2016/10/28/pa-turnpike-closed-eb-and-wb-due-to-downed-wires/

Back to the bridge itself, this article has a photo of the actual complete sever of the truss member.

cpzilliacus

Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Roadsguy

So it's closed between Delaware Valley (US 13) in PA and US 130 in NJ? I'll mark it as under construction in OSM if it's not already.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

cl94

Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

MASTERNC

Quote from: Roadsguy on January 22, 2017, 03:04:16 PM
So it's closed between Delaware Valley (US 13) in PA and US 130 in NJ? I'll mark it as under construction in OSM if it's not already.

It's actually closed between US 13 and the NJ Turnpike (even the US 130 exit is closed for traffic heading eastbound to the mainline Turnpike).

jeffandnicole

If I were to guess...and it's just a guess...the majority of traffic entering at 130 heads towards PA. Thus, it's easier just to keep the entire interchange closed to prevent confusion. The detour to Exit 7 is very simple, and is actually cheaper for the motorist.

cl94

Quote from: jeffandnicole on January 22, 2017, 08:01:36 PM
If I were to guess...and it's just a guess...the majority of traffic entering at 130 heads towards PA. Thus, it's easier just to keep the entire interchange closed to prevent confusion. The detour to Exit 7 is very simple, and is actually cheaper for the motorist.

That and, once you get on the ramp, there's no way to turn around and avoid a toll if you meant to head toward PA. I picture some stupid out of towner getting slapped with the turnaround charge and raising a stink.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

kalvado

Bridge was built almost at the same time (Jan 1954-May 1956)  as old Tappan Zee bridge (March 1952-Dec 1955). Deficit of steel during construction was mentioned as a reason why TZB  is being rebuild right now. I wonder if there is any link in terms of amount/quality of steel between these situations.

cl94

Quote from: kalvado on January 22, 2017, 10:30:34 PM
Bridge was built almost at the same time (Jan 1954-May 1956)  as old Tappan Zee bridge (March 1952-Dec 1955). Deficit of steel during construction was mentioned as a reason why TZB  is being rebuild right now. I wonder if there is any link in terms of amount/quality of steel between these situations.

Bigger issue with TZB is the foundations. Wood piles that are rotting.

kalvado

Quote from: cl94 on January 22, 2017, 10:34:47 PM

Yes - but as far as I remember it was "they used wood because there was no steel".

Alps

That's an interesting question. Different agencies, different restrictions. Maybe this one didn't have to "Buy American"? The Newark Bay Bridge is a twin to the Delaware River Bridge, and has much heavier loading, but... well, I can't say it's really in better shape, but it's open. (It gets much heavier repair due to the trucks.)
Incidentally, I have a role with detour signing in this project (for local roads on the PA side). If anyone intends to go down toward Bristol to see what's going on, please do see how they look. For that matter, if anyone has any local knowledge about traffic patterns, hit me up.

cl94

Quote from: kalvado on January 22, 2017, 10:41:24 PM
Quote from: cl94 on January 22, 2017, 10:34:47 PM

Yes - but as far as I remember it was "they used wood because there was no steel".

TZB was directly impacted by Korean War shortages, hence the use of wood. The Delaware River bridge was after the war and not impacted by it.

jeffandnicole

Per Philly.com, you will be able to access the NJ Turnpike Extension eastbound from 130 today.  I also saw in the story several local roads in PA under the bridge will be closed as well.

A few stories said to expect very heavy traffic on other nearby bridges. While this make sense, 2 of the bridges mentioned include the Trenton Makes and Calhoun Street bridges. I can't see much traffic that would have normally used the PA & NJ Turnpike making their way to these  very small bridges.  I do think 1, 95, 195 and NJ 29 to be much heavier today though.  I'll gauge the traffic when I'm in the Trenton area around 7:45am.

jeffandnicole

Based on my visuals, traffic was pretty typical on 295, 29, 1, Trenton Makes, and Calhoun Street bridges.

295 North was slow for about 2 miles approaching Exit 47, Rt. 541, which is also the road the NJ Turnpike Interchange 5 exits onto.  Turns out a broken down car in the acceleration lane was the culprit there.

I spotted about a half-dozen vehicles on the NJ Turnpike Extension Eastbound, which means they could access the Turnpike from US 130.  No traffic on the westbound side whatsoever.

Traffic is normally slow on other portions of 295, as well as 29 from 295 to US 1, and exiting from US 1 North to 29; nothing unusual about the congestion there.  Considering the rain and wind today, traffic moved at a relatively good pace.

The only problem with motorists heading to US 1 South off of 29 North is there's no advanced BGS approaching Rt. 1, until approximately 500 feet prior to the interchange.  A 1/2 mile ahead BGS would've been useful around 29 and Cass Street.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.