News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

PA Turnpike News

Started by mightyace, February 16, 2009, 05:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crown Victoria

A recent study finds that, driven the greatest end-to-end distance (Gateway to Clarks Summit via Mid-County) and using Toll-By-Plate, the PA Turnpike is the most expensive toll road worldwide.

https://www.buckscountycouriertimes.com/story/news/2021/03/03/pa-turnpike-tolls-most-expensive/6902492002/

The biggest issue that I have with this is that the study compares toll facilities without regard to their length, i.e. long-distance turnpikes, toll bridges, and everything in between. A better comparison would be comparing toll facilities by cost per unit of distance, either miles or kilometers, including methods of payment.

For comparison purposes, an example I'll use is the PA Turnpike vs the West Virginia Turnpike. Currently, it costs 13.6 cents/mile to travel the WV Turnpike regardless of payment method (unless you're in the single fee program). The PA Turnpike is more expensive (by a lot) if you pay by mail (25.5 cents/mile), but CHEAPER using EZ Pass (12.6 cents/mile).

Another example using a much shorter distance would be the Delaware Turnpike portion of I-95, which costs 33.3 cents/mile regardless of payment method ($4 to travel from the MD line to I-295).

The Holland Tunnel costs between $11.75 and $16, depending on payment method and time of day, to travel 1.62 miles. That's at least $7.25/mile! Exactly why comparing toll facilities needs to account for distance traveled and other factors.

vdeane

I wonder how it compares to ON 407 or the Confederation Bridge.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

wilbur_the_goose

I noticed yesterday that the tollbooth overhead signage for EZ Pass/Cash were removed from Downingtown and Reading interchanges.   Also, I think the 5 MPH speed limit signs were replace with "Keep Moving" signs.

SGwithADD

Quote from: Crown Victoria on March 05, 2021, 10:40:52 AM
A recent study finds that, driven the greatest end-to-end distance (Gateway to Clarks Summit via Mid-County) and using Toll-By-Plate, the PA Turnpike is the most expensive toll road worldwide.

https://www.buckscountycouriertimes.com/story/news/2021/03/03/pa-turnpike-tolls-most-expensive/6902492002/

The biggest issue that I have with this is that the study compares toll facilities without regard to their length, i.e. long-distance turnpikes, toll bridges, and everything in between. A better comparison would be comparing toll facilities by cost per unit of distance, either miles or kilometers, including methods of payment.

For comparison purposes, an example I'll use is the PA Turnpike vs the West Virginia Turnpike. Currently, it costs 13.6 cents/mile to travel the WV Turnpike regardless of payment method (unless you're in the single fee program). The PA Turnpike is more expensive (by a lot) if you pay by mail (25.5 cents/mile), but CHEAPER using EZ Pass (12.6 cents/mile).

Another example using a much shorter distance would be the Delaware Turnpike portion of I-95, which costs 33.3 cents/mile regardless of payment method ($4 to travel from the MD line to I-295).

The Holland Tunnel costs between $11.75 and $16, depending on payment method and time of day, to travel 1.62 miles. That's at least $7.25/mile! Exactly why comparing toll facilities needs to account for distance traveled and other factors.

Not that the turnpike isn't expensive, but the study's also a bit misleading. It quotes the toll for traveling from the Ohio border to Clarks Summit via the turnpike and the NE extension, yet reports only the base mainline mileage of 360 miles (580 km in the study, because Australia).  End-to-end on the mainline is $95.30, while Ohio to Clarks Summit at $112.90 is a ~447-mile journey (not to mention one that nobody would normally take, as it makes more sense to use 80 to 81 instead of going south then north).  This article at least discusses the mainline toll, but others seem to be leaving it out completely.

MASTERNC

Quote from: wilbur_the_goose on March 07, 2021, 08:10:57 AM
I noticed yesterday that the tollbooth overhead signage for EZ Pass/Cash were removed from Downingtown and Reading interchanges.   Also, I think the 5 MPH speed limit signs were replace with "Keep Moving" signs.

There are 15 MPH signs at the Valley Forge interchange.  Likewise, the overhead signage was removed from Mid-County and Bensalem interchanges.

roadman65

I heard that Maryland has a sign at Hancock, MD on WB I-70 informing motorists that I-68 is free road westward. 
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Alps

Quote from: roadman65 on March 09, 2021, 11:05:12 PM
I heard that Maryland has a sign at Hancock, MD on WB I-70 informing motorists that I-68 is free road westward. 
nope

Roadrunner75

Quote from: Alps on March 10, 2021, 12:09:44 AM
nope
The closest to that is probably just this "Alt Route West" sign:
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.6533096,-78.0477514,3a,80.7y,343.04h,99.99t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sqFM4r56x3NGNKtY2fbZgeQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

MASTERNC

It is amazing the Turnpike hasn't covered up the signs for slip ramps that still say they are for only for E-ZPass customers.  They themselves have said in an online newsletter that those are no longer exclusive to tagholders (and you can even calculate Toll by Plate rates for those exits).

Also, it sounds like the PA Turnpike might actually start widening in the MP 320-326 section.  They would only widen between the Valley Forge Service Plaza and interchange (about 2 miles) and work could begin some time this year.  The tree clearing work they have been doing lately is part of the project.

Roadsguy

Quote from: MASTERNC on March 15, 2021, 09:38:44 AM
It is amazing the Turnpike hasn't covered up the signs for slip ramps that still say they are for only for E-ZPass customers.  They themselves have said in an online newsletter that those are no longer exclusive to tagholders (and you can even calculate Toll by Plate rates for those exits).

They've actually opened them up to toll-by-plate? I know they said pre-pandemic that they were going to when they went all-electronic on the mainline, but didn't notice that they had actually done it yet.

I don't think they've actually changed any permanent signage yet for AET. I'm sure they would have on the original timeframe, but now they might just not be in any hurry. They have, however, removed all the overhead signage for each lane at the toll plazas, including the digital displays on newer toll plazas. Now it's just empty spaces; they didn't even bother putting up generic "E-ZPass/Toll by Plate" signs over each lane like they did the Northeast Extension, I-376, PA 43, and PA 66. Maybe they'll fast-track toll plaza removal and open-road tolling conversion now that the mainline is AET, or maybe they're just waiting until they get around to changing all the signage to put those generic over-lane signs up.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

vdeane

The pessimist in me wonders if they'll just leave everything like that figuring "traffic has been coping with it so far, why spend money we don't have?".
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

MASTERNC

Quote from: Roadsguy on March 15, 2021, 10:12:03 PM
Quote from: MASTERNC on March 15, 2021, 09:38:44 AM

They've actually opened them up to toll-by-plate? I know they said pre-pandemic that they were going to when they went all-electronic on the mainline, but didn't notice that they had actually done it yet.

I don't think they've actually changed any permanent signage yet for AET. I'm sure they would have on the original timeframe, but now they might just not be in any hurry. They have, however, removed all the overhead signage for each lane at the toll plazas, including the digital displays on newer toll plazas. Now it's just empty spaces; they didn't even bother putting up generic "E-ZPass/Toll by Plate" signs over each lane like they did the Northeast Extension, I-376, PA 43, and PA 66. Maybe they'll fast-track toll plaza removal and open-road tolling conversion now that the mainline is AET, or maybe they're just waiting until they get around to changing all the signage to put those generic over-lane signs up.

Some of the major interchanges now have the "All Lanes: E-ZPass or Toll-By-Plate" signs at entry & exit.  I know Lehigh Valley, Carlisle, and Gettysburg Pike have them.

74/171FAN

Quote from: vdeane on March 15, 2021, 10:20:50 PM
The pessimist in me wonders if they'll just leave everything like that figuring "traffic has been coping with it so far, why spend money we don't have?".

That is my sentiment on this.  I think I have been on the PA Turnpike once in the last two years.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

tylert120

Quote from: vdeane on March 15, 2021, 10:20:50 PM

Because the Turnpike is great at spending money it doesn't have.  :sombrero:

ixnay

Quote from: Roadrunner75 on March 10, 2021, 01:55:38 AM
nope
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.6533096,-78.0477514,3a,80.7y,343.04h,99.99t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sqFM4r56x3NGNKtY2fbZgeQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Did that sign replace the blue on white "[I-68 shield]/Alternate Route to Ohio and Points West" sign?

ixnay

jmacswimmer

Quote from: ixnay on March 17, 2021, 08:17:56 AM
Quote from: Roadrunner75 on March 10, 2021, 01:55:38 AM
nope

Did that sign replace the blue on white "[I-68 shield]/Alternate Route to Ohio and Points West" sign?

ixnay

No - that one also still exists a mile upstream from the one Roadrunner75 linked:

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.6443704,-78.0369482,3a,37.6y,323.54h,88.82t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1stnk3CaDUtmciFjCX-_ANrg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!5m1!1e1?hl=en
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

MASTERNC

Looks like there might be some new directional signage noting AET sitting in the maintenance facility just off the Mid County interchange.

EDIT: I got a better look today.  Looks like signage for the Street Road slip ramp - it says NO TRUCKS and seems to have a TO directional indicator (likely to 95/NJTP).  They are modifying that intersection alongside the US 1 construction, so it makes sense.  I did not see E-ZPass ONLY on that sign, so it might be the first one indicating the ramp is open to any car.

Roadsguy

I went through the Valley Forge interchange today and noticed that the overhead E-ZPass/cash signs are still up over each toll plaza lane, though they have installed the "Keep Moving" signs. Are there any other interchanges known where they haven't removed the overhead signs yet? Every other interchange I've been through recently (Harrisburg East, Lebanon-Lancaster, Downingtown, and Norristown) don't have them anymore.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

sbeaver44

Does the short connector between the New Stanton Interchange and US 119/PA 66 have a signed number?  It looks like it is just SR 3091 or "New Stanton-Youngwood Rd"  but naturally Google shows it as PA 66B.  I don't see anything on GSV to suggest 66B is real?

roadman65

How does the 31A and 31B work now being cash is eliminated?  Is 31B closed to traffic on the NE Extension?  Or did they close 31A?  Or did they make 31A for PA 63 E Bound and 31B for PA 63 WB?
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

MASTERNC

Quote from: roadman65 on March 23, 2021, 07:52:20 PM
How does the 31A and 31B work now being cash is eliminated?  Is 31B closed to traffic on the NE Extension?  Or did they close 31A?  Or did they make 31A for PA 63 E Bound and 31B for PA 63 WB?

I don't think they've established that yet.  Personally, I'd make Exit 31A for eastbound traffic and Exit 31B for westbound

74/171FAN

Quote from: sbeaver44 on March 23, 2021, 07:43:45 PM
Does the short connector between the New Stanton Interchange and US 119/PA 66 have a signed number?  It looks like it is just SR 3091 or "New Stanton-Youngwood Rd"  but naturally Google shows it as PA 66B.  I don't see anything on GSV to suggest 66B is real?

I do not believe it is any signed route, but clarifying this with District 12 would not hurt.

Quote from: roadman65 on March 23, 2021, 07:52:20 PM

I believe that you could probably use either exit and just get a bill in the mail. However, I have not driven this part of I-476 since I clinched it in 2016.  Maybe briantroutman could clarify this one.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

akotchi

For now, nothing has really changed at 31A and 31B, including the signing.  Both exits are open, and 31B can be used to access both directions of Route 63.  I go up there about once a month.  I will be going back up there in a couple of weeks, so I will pay more attention then.
Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

Bitmapped

Quote from: sbeaver44 on March 23, 2021, 07:43:45 PM

It is a quadrant route (SR 3091), which is not signed other than on PennDOT's little white signs. From US 119 and PA 66, it is signed as I-70/I-76/Turnpike. From I-70/I-76, it is signed as US 119/Turnpike 66.

Since the whole complex more-or-less functions as one big interchange, I don't think there would be much benefit to independently signing the connector. Just indicating the routes it connects to is less confusing for drivers.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.