News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Properly signing Cloverleaf ramps

Started by shadyjay, March 30, 2019, 10:52:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shadyjay

So driving around today got me thinking of the different ways that cloverleafs are signed.  Personally, I think Massachusetts does it the best...

Exit # A-B
    Route
Town Listed 1
Town listed 2
   1  MILE

EXIT #A
  Route  Dir.
Town Listed 1
   1/2 MILE

EXIT #B                   EXIT #A
Route  Dir.                Route   Dir.
Town Listed 2          Town Listed 1
   1/4 MILE                     ->

EXIT #B
Route   Dir.
Town Listed 2
      ->

Connecticut is all over the place, sometimes with two separate initial signs (such as I-91 North Exit 47, Exit #B 1 1/4 Mile / Exit #A 1 Mile) and sometimes giving no advance notice that there are two separate ramps, until the first ramp separates (I-395 NB Exit 13).  Exit 39A-B on the 'turnpike has them combined on the 1 and 1/2 mile, but gives notice of two separate exits with a EXIT 39A only 1/4 mile sign. 

So is there a MUTCD preferred way to sign these types of interchanges?  How does your state sign cloverleafs?  And, should there be a uniform way to sign cloverleaf ramps?

MNHighwayMan

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.