News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Albany NY to Newberyport Ma

Started by Hot Rod Hootenanny, September 08, 2019, 05:44:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hot Rod Hootenanny

I'm looking for suggestions for the fastest route from Albany to Doug Kerr's pizza meet, but allowing me to collect all the counties in western Massachusetts.
I was thinking of following I-90 east to suburban Springfield, then taking US 202 north to Ma 2 east to I-495 to the Newburyport meet.
Is that my best option, or would there be a quicker route that would still maximize clinching counties in Massachusetts?
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

froggie

That's one option, though instead of slogging through Holyoke you could stay on the Mass Pike to MA 21 north to US 202.

Another option would be Mass Pike to I-91 to MA 9 East to MA 116 North then take back roads from North Amherst over to US 202 in Shutesbury.

A final option is Mass Pike to I-91 to MA 2.  This is the only routing that completely eliminates traffic signals and (except thru Millers Falls and Erving) speed limits lower than 50.  It's a longer distance but similar time-wise to the other options.

Rothman

Heh.  The fastest way to Boston from my home as a kid was to take dirt roads (e.g.  Pratt Corners Road) to Shutesbury and then out to US 202.  I wouldn't recommend going that way if you're coming from the Pike and are new to the area.

I liked the MA 21 to US 202 option.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.