News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

TRIVIA NIGHT results and host registration

Started by Alps, December 07, 2012, 09:23:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alps

It's been hinted at, but I'd love to see people come back into our chat room. There should be at least a few people in there most nights. Click on the "CHAT" text in the menu at the top of the forum, and here's a direct link.

Now that chat is back, we ought to start having TRIVIA NIGHTS again. I think once a week proved to be too much, so let's say once a month. This thread will be used to update results of trivia nights and announce new ones. So watch this space and see when we're ready to start one up!

Alps

We need hosts! I'd like to have a trivia night soon - maybe even this week. I think in the past we've chosen midweek nights, Tues-Thurs, as a time when most of us are around and online. The format in the past has been roughly 50-60 questions, one question per state (more or less), Canadian provinces, national, even international, whatever you want to throw on. It takes about 5 hours to put together a list of good questions - some easy, some hard. Who wants to volunteer?

While I wait for a volunteer, let's get the night established. Poll open.

corco

QuoteRespond with the NUMBER OF THE QUESTION to ring in.
QuoteCLOSEST GUESS QUESTIONS: Respond directly with your guess.

Those two things could potentially overlap and cause a spam message- maybe preface closest guess questions with a number sign or something?

Alps

Quote from: corco on February 02, 2013, 12:44:44 AM
QuoteRespond with the NUMBER OF THE QUESTION to ring in.
QuoteCLOSEST GUESS QUESTIONS: Respond directly with your guess.

Those two things could potentially overlap and cause a spam message- maybe preface closest guess questions with a number sign or something?
It starts to get pretty tricky. The occasional spam message may happen, but the workaround could start to get more complicated than just letting it go.

bugo

Is there any trivia software that can be downloaded?  The chat room isn't a very good venue for trivia.

Alps

I see a lot of votes for Saturdays and Sundays, but truth is, I and many people are often busy or away. So, without further adieu, our first trivia night will be this Wednesday, February 13, at 9 PM Eastern Time. See you there?

(When you get in the chat room, make sure you enter "Trivia!")

agentsteel53

road chat is empty.  anyone wanna help me test it out?
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

agentsteel53

Quote from: Steve on February 12, 2013, 06:30:28 PM

to clarify: go to the drop down box at the top, and select the room marked "Trivia".

typing, literally, "Trivia!" does nothing other than make one look like a fool.  trust me; I just did precisely that.  :sombrero:
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

SSOWorld

I'll be on the road beginning at 4:00 tomorrow - I'll try to get in for  a bit but I scheduled a very long drive to end in southern MISS (from central IL) on Thursday so I'm getting a head start and getting past the Quads early and sleep.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Takumi

Quote from: agentsteel53 on February 12, 2013, 07:13:17 PM
Quote from: Steve on February 12, 2013, 06:30:28 PM

to clarify: go to the drop down box at the top, and select the room marked "Trivia".

typing, literally, "Trivia!" does nothing other than make one look like a fool.  trust me; I just did precisely that.  :sombrero:

Were there witnesses?
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Zmapper

If you aren't in there, this is what you are missing out on.

Alps

I'd like to congratulate NE2 as the winner of our inaugural trivia chat, with 29 points! (That's a lot.) He really cleaned up on his Minneapolis-St. Paul freeway knowledge. Right behind him was corco with 27 points, and to show how much of a race it was, next was Dr Frankenstein with just 7 points. Props to ZMapper, PennDOTFan, Stalin, Alex, and mgk920 for joining us and all finishing with a positive number of points as well - no one in the negative, that's a first!

If you'd like to host next time, please RSVP your spot here. I'm happy to give some pointers, but you can play with the format as you like. I'll tweak the rules here shortly based on lessons learned today. Also, we may have solved the spam message.

Dr Frankenstein

Had Québec not been in the trivia, I would have been deep in the negative.

Now I need to work on my reaction time. I would've gotten a better score with that. :p

Ian

I'd be interested in hosting the next one if that's alright.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

Alps

Quote from: PennDOTFan on February 14, 2013, 09:15:25 AM
You got it. All yours.

Ian

Quote from: Steve on February 14, 2013, 06:40:01 PM
You got it. All yours.

Thanks! Because I had today off, I was able to write up all of the questions for the next one. Since doing it on a Wednesday seemed to work out well, and everyone seemed to be in favor of doing them once a month, how about the next trivia night be Wednesday, March 13?
Youtube l Flickr

Molandfreak

Quote from: PennDOTFan on February 15, 2013, 04:42:03 PM
Quote from: Steve on February 14, 2013, 06:40:01 PM
You got it. All yours.

Thanks! Because I had today off, I was able to write up all of the questions for the next one. Since doing it on a Wednesday seemed to work out well, and everyone seemed to be in favor of doing them once a month, how about the next trivia night be Wednesday, March 13?
Shoot, I can't do the 13th. And I missed the first one too... :thumbdown:
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Ian

Oops is right, I apologize. There didn't seem to be much interest in having it last night, as there weren't a lot of people on the chat. How about next Wednesday, the 20th? I'll put up a reminder on Tuesday.
Youtube l Flickr

corco

Alps

Dr Frankenstein

I wasn't available; but I'll be on Wednesday.

Molandfreak

I might be able to on wednesday... I'll see how it goes
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

froggie

QuoteHe really cleaned up on his Minneapolis-St. Paul freeway knowledge.

Curious as to just what the questions were...

NE2

List the numbers of the MSP area freeways. Apparently questions worth many points go at the end.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.