News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Coast-to-coast Road Trips

Started by webny99, January 20, 2018, 01:09:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike_OH

That's sort of a dream of mine to do that.  I don't know anybody whose done a coast-to-coast trip, but my grandparents once did a trip from Cincinnati to California and back, and my brother once took a Greyhound bus from Tacoma, WA to Dayton, OH after moving out to Washington with a woman, and then later breaking up with her and returning back to Ohio.

briantroutman

During the years I lived in California, I'd fly home to Pennsylvania every few months or so, but I'd also drive back almost annually. So I've probably made the coast-to-coast drive close to ten times. Most of these were via I-80–which from S.F. to Williamsport is logical. A few trips were in winter, and in those cases, I took the southern route via Bakersfield and Barstow then across the combined I-40/44/70 corridor.

Once I made the trip eastward in April, and I thought I'd be OK using I-80, but a surprise late-season snowstorm resulted in the closure of an I-80 segment in Wyoming. I didn't know this at the time, and having stayed overnight in Salt Lake City the previous night, I spent the morning driving toward a dead end halfway across Wyoming only to have to turn around, go back to Salt Lake, then take I-15 and cut the corner from Provo to Green River and follow I-70 through the Colorado mountains to Denver. Honestly, I was dangerously tired as I was approaching Denver some 15 hours after I set out that morning.

I certainly preferred the I-80 route over I-40/44/70 and always looked forward to all of the familiar landmarks along the way–Culver's country, Iowa 80, Little America, Bonneville Salt Flats, and so on. But to be fair to the I-40/44/70 corridor, I had grown a little tired of it on several earlier drives from PA to Colorado, Oklahoma, and Texas.

When I moved from S.F. to Tampa, I got to make that drive twice in one week–once in the one-way rented truck, and a second time in my own vehicle. With the moving truck, I took I-10 basically straight across–coming just about 140 miles shy of clinching the entire length of I-10 in one trip. Just for variety, I did an odd dogleg from I-40 to I-20 to I-10–can't remember exactly how offhand.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.