News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Most Names for One Stretch of Road

Started by Pete from Boston, February 25, 2014, 11:18:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete from Boston

I apologize if this has been asked, but a quick search didn't reveal it.

Here in Boston we have a road called, all at once:

- Central Artery
- Thomas P. "Tip" O'Neill, Jr., Tunnel
- John F. Fitzgerald Expressway

They all have some official merit (as opposed to, say, "The Big Dig," which was always just a colloquialism).

In terms of names, not route numbers, what stretch of road have you been on that carried more than the usual number of names?

US71

Chicago Heights, Illinois:

US 30 aka 14th St (local block #)  aka 211th Street (Chicago block #) aka Lincoln Highway

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Doctor Whom

I was once on a block in Baltimore on which the city had posted two honorary street names in addition to the real street name.  It's been so long that I can't tell you what they were.

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

PHLBOS

Quote from: Pete from Boston on February 25, 2014, 11:18:51 PMHere in Boston we have a road called, all at once:

- Central Artery
- Thomas P. "Tip" O'Neill, Jr., Tunnel
- John F. Fitzgerald Expressway

They all have some official merit (as opposed to, say, "The Big Dig," which was always just a colloquialism).
To clarify & if I'm not mistaken, the John F. Fitzgerald Expressway, in its original pre-Big Dig form, includes the Central Artery* along with the Southeast Expressway, the Dewey Square/South Station Tunnel*, the Pulaski Skyway (elevated expressway between Mass Ave. & fore-mentioned tunnel: at least pre-Big Dig), the Tobin Bridge and Northeast Expressway.

*since replaced w/the O'Neill Tunnel.

Side bar to those in the Greater Boston area: Is the Central Artery moniker even used anymore by reporters and such to describe the O'Neill Tunnel?
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Mr. Matté

At the engineering firm where I work, I overheard the principal telling one of the drafters that on the plans for a church in Princeton, NJ, he had to put on the plans "Nassau Street a.k.a. Kings Highway a.k.a. Princeton Kingston Road." Afterwards, I told him, "Don't you also have to put 'New Jersey State Highway Route No. 27' on there too?" And now that I've read other examples here, the road should also be known as "Lincoln Highway" as well.

Urban Prairie Schooner

Somewhat related, but I always found it interesting how in some foreign countries (UK particularly) a continuous roadway will often change street names seemingly randomly, sometimes within blocks of the last change. I assume this has origins in some historical phenomena such as the merger of separate communities, etc. (You see this in a few places in Quebec/Ontario where urban amalgamations have taken place.)

NE2

Quote from: Urban Prairie Schooner on February 26, 2014, 07:53:44 PM
Somewhat related, but I always found it interesting how in some foreign countries (UK particularly) a continuous roadway will often change street names seemingly randomly, sometimes within blocks of the last change. I assume this has origins in some historical phenomena such as the merger of separate communities, etc. (You see this in a few places in Quebec/Ontario where urban amalgamations have taken place.)
New England's a foreign country.

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Pete from Boston

Quote from: NE2 on February 26, 2014, 08:55:42 PM

I don't see anything random about the mile in which Land Boulevard changes to Charlestown Ave., Austin St., and then Green St.

Now, if you want to talk about Route 9 east of Worcester, where the street addresses jump variously about between Boston-Worcester Turnpike, Turnpike Rd., Boston Rd., Boston Turnpike, etc., without agreement from one business to the next, then perhaps there's a point to be made.

hotdogPi

MA 28 north of Boston, too. Going north from around MA 125:

Main St, S Main St, Main St, N Main St, S Broadway, Broadway (+ O'Leary Bridge), S Broadway (NH border), N Broadway, Rockingham Rd.

All within 16 miles.

US 1 north of Boston is also confusing:

Tobin Bridge, Northeast Expressway, Broadway, Newburyport Turnpike, Newbury St, Boston St, Turnpike Rd.
And some of these overlap.
(Plus Google says Adamski Memorial Highway, but I'm not sure if it's correct.)
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

NE2

Quote from: Pete from Boston on February 26, 2014, 09:39:16 PM

I don't see anything random about the mile in which Land Boulevard changes to Charlestown Ave., Austin St., and then Green St.
Your logic is impeccably bunk. Let's make babies.

Providence example: Angell Street - Thomas Street - Steeple Street - Exchange Terrace - Sabin Street - Broadway. All in just over 1/2 mile. And a mile to the east, the through route begins as South Angell Street coming off the Henderson Bridge (AKA Henderson Expressway, but this name isn't signed). A mile to the west, it changes to Westminster Street, Plainfield Street, and Pocasset Avenue in quick succession, before ending at a five-way intersection where the continuation of Pocasset Avenue lines up with Magnolia Street.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: NE2 on February 26, 2014, 09:55:52 PM
Quote from: Pete from Boston on February 26, 2014, 09:39:16 PM

Your logic is impeccably bunk. Let's make babies.

Providence example: Angell Street - Thomas Street - Steeple Street - Exchange Terrace - Sabin Street - Broadway. All in just over 1/2 mile. And a mile to the east, the through route begins as South Angell Street coming off the Henderson Bridge (AKA Henderson Expressway, but this name isn't signed). A mile to the west, it changes to Westminster Street, Plainfield Street, and Pocasset Avenue in quick succession, before ending at a five-way intersection where the continuation of Pocasset Avenue lines up with Magnolia Street.

Stop it, you're getting me excited.

sammi

[...] a continuous roadway will often change street names seemingly randomly, sometimes within blocks of the last change. [...] (You see this in a few places in Quebec/Ontario where urban amalgamations have taken place.)

I know of a few in and around Toronto. We have a lot of this actually.

• Spadina Rd, Spadina Ave (this one is confusing)
  • Avenue Rd, Queen's Park, University Ave
  • Bloor St, Danforth Rd
  • Antibes Dr,  Drewry Ave, Cummer Ave, McNicoll Rd
  • Bovaird Dr, Castlemore Rd, Rutherford Rd, 16th Ave

But, that's not the topic of this thread.
Most Names for One Stretch of Road

briantroutman

It depends on how formally you consider the names, but there are many places in PA where sections of highways have multiple dedications and names of varying officiality.

For example US 15 north immediately north of Williamsport is simultaneously...

• US 15
  • Marine Corps League Memorial Highway
  • Susquehanna Trail
  • Dolly M. Wilt Highway

sdmichael

I've got a better one. At the border of Beverly Hills and Los Angeles, off of Coldwater Canyon Road, you'll find Cherokee Lane. Go up this road a few blocks. First, each half is in each city. Then the street changes names... and block numbers... for each half. One side of the street is Cherokee Lane in Los Angeles, the other side of the street is Loma Vista Dr in Beverly Hills. I haven't found another street like it.

Brandon

Multiple names for a road are not uncommon around Chicagoland.

A few examples:
22nd Street aka Cermak Road
Caton Farm Road aka 175th Street aka Bruce Road
Division Street aka Stateville Road aka 167th Street
LaGrange Road aka 96th Avenue aka Mannheim Road - becomes River Road further north
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Pete from Boston

In Assembly Square in Somerville, Massachusetts, where they are building a glorified outlet mall, the third or so retail redevelopment of the site, every decade seems to bring a new street renaming.

Sturtevant Street became Assembly Sq. Drive, but both still appear on maps . This month, they renamed it Grand Union Blvd., which will surely continue this area's commitment to confusing the crap out of people.

Edit:  Just for fun, a few signs refer to this as "Ikea Way," which the road was never named, and on which there was never an Ikea.

doorknob60

None of these are really simultaneous, but they change names a lot over a short distance.

There's one continuous stretch through Bend that, from west to east, is called Portland Ave, Olney Ave, Penn Ave, and then Neff Rd. It technically makes sense within Bend's grid (and using different names on the west and east side), but it can be confusing. Link: http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=15/44.0632/-121.3026

And then near by, you have a corridor (although not technically a continuous stretch) with, from west to east, Skyliners Rd, Galveston Ave, Riverside Blvd, Franklin Ave, and Bear Creek Rd. There are two turns along this stretch, but it's widely considered to be one corridor. (as the other streets branching off it are minor neighborhood streets).

Oh and might as well point out the one in between those two, from west to east, (Johnson Rd if you're coming from Tumalo,) Shevlin Park Rd, Newport Ave, Greenwood Ave, and then just US-20 continuing east.

sdmichael

Quote from: sdmichael on February 27, 2014, 03:30:07 AM
I've got a better one. At the border of Beverly Hills and Los Angeles, off of Coldwater Canyon Road, you'll find Cherokee Lane. Go up this road a few blocks. First, each half is in each city. Then the street changes names... and block numbers... for each half. One side of the street is Cherokee Lane in Los Angeles, the other side of the street is Loma Vista Dr in Beverly Hills. I haven't found another street like it.

As an update to my previous reply - I found the photos I was looking for. I posted them on my site.

http://socalregion.com/unusual-street-in-los-angeles-and-beverly-hills/

golden eagle

In Jackson, West Street starts just south of downtown. About 4-5 miles north of downtown, it becomes Northbrook Drive for one mile. After crossing Northside Drive, it becomes Hanging Moss Rd. for about another four miles. After crossing I-220 and West County Line Rd. going into Madison County, it then becomes Highland Colony Parkway for eight miles. North of MS 463, it then becomes Bozeman Rd. Several miles later, it becomes Catlett Rd. until it ends at MS 16.

roadman65

New Providence, NJ- Glenside Rd.- South Street- Passaic Street.  All of this within two miles.  Then if you want to get technical at Passaic Street's north end it defaults onto River Road.

In Union County, NJ you have Galloping Hill Road, Kenilworth Boulevard, Springfield Avenue, Miesel Avenue, and back to Springfield Avenue.

Here in Florida for US 192 in Osceola County it goes from Irlo Bronson Highway, Vine Street, then again Irlo Bronson Highway, 13th Street, and one more time Irlo Bronson Highway.

In Kissimmee, FL Orange Blossom Trail turns to Main Street which becomes Broadway Avenue and then finally Emmett Street.

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

bing101

West end of US-50 in Sacramento its also called I-305, Business 80, WX Freeway and West Capital City Freeway. AAroads US-50 Section even mentioned an El Dorado Freeway on US-50.

CA-51 in Sacramento, its East Business 80, Elvas Freeway, Marconi Curve and East Capital City Freeway.

San Bernardino Freeway (I-10) in Los Angeles and San Gabriel Valley was called Ramona Freeway, US-60, US-70 and US-99 before 1964.

roadman

Quote from: Pete from Boston on February 27, 2014, 10:03:24 AM
Just for fun, a few signs refer to this as "Ikea Way," which the road was never named, and on which there was never an Ikea.
When the current Assembly Square project was first announced, it was anticipated that Ikea would be one of the anchor stores for the new mall - despite the fact the mall was always designed with the idea of encouraging people to use transit to access it (this is why the state is wasting spending so much money on a new transit station for the mall that's less than 400 yards from an adjacent transit station).  About a year ago, Ikea suddenly pulled out of the deal - apparently because the City of Somerville was dragging their feet on approvals.

While work is rapidly nearing completion on the residental and office component of the development, it appears the transit station won't actually be completed for some time.  And the site of the "new" mall is still nothing but a huge dirt field.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

roadman

Quote from: PHLBOS on February 26, 2014, 05:26:05 PM
Side bar to those in the Greater Boston area: Is the Central Artery moniker even used anymore by reporters and such to describe the O'Neill Tunnel?
Nope.  All references I've ever heard from traffic reporters for several years now have been "O'Neill Tunnel" only.  And, as best I can recall, in the elevated highway days, no traffic reporters ever called it the Fitzgerald Expressway.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

Pete from Boston

Quote from: roadman on May 16, 2014, 02:10:31 PM
Quote from: Pete from Boston on February 27, 2014, 10:03:24 AM
Just for fun, a few signs refer to this as "Ikea Way," which the road was never named, and on which there was never an Ikea.
When the current Assembly Square project was first announced, it was anticipated that Ikea would be one of the anchor stores for the new mall - despite the fact the mall was always designed with the idea of encouraging people to use transit to access it (this is why the state is wasting spenign so much money on a transit station for the mall that's less than 400 yards from an adjacent transit station).  About a year ago, Ikea suddenly pulled out of the deal - apparently because the City of Somerville was dragging their feet on approvals.

While work is rapidly nearing completion on the residental and office component of the development, it appears the transit station won't actually be completed for some time.  And the site of the "new" mall is still nothing but a huge dirt field.

The ironic thing, if memory serves, is that IKEA was the initial development planned, 15 or so years ago.  The current ridiculous town-of-chain-stores (see: Station Landing) was to placate the smart-growth crowd. 

What I read about IKEA's decision was that the store they'd opened in the meantime in Stoughton was found sufficient to handle Metro Boston. 

This made me very suspicious when they pulled out so late in the going.  It was such late timing that I still wonder if someone requested they hold back announcing the decision until construction was substantially underway, space leased, etc.  Joe Curtatone has been celebrating this project as his personal triumph since shortly after becoming mayor ten years ago, and he's always been talked about as having ambitions for higher office.   

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.