News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Roads in ads

Started by Pete from Boston, March 05, 2014, 11:55:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete from Boston

On one of the old-folks channels I watch there's an ad playing for HDVision sunglasses that has several road shots -- a wide BGS, and a toll plaza with many EZ-Pass signs over lanes.  I only got a quick, distant look, and don't have a DVR.  Anyone seen this and recognize the roads?

SteveG1988

Here are a few roads for ya, in an advert campaign from 1993/1994, it is interesting what has and hasn't really happened, or it has happened in a different way
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

hotdogPi

I saw a car commercial with a sign saying "Mass Ave" with a 2A sign and an arrow. The 2A shield was smaller than normal (although a few of those do exist in real life).
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

golden eagle

There was a car ad Peyton Manning did a while back, and the ad showed a BGS with a US 2 shield pointing to Greenwood. While there is a Greenwood south of Indianapolis, there's no US 2 there.

Henry

Speaking of car commercials, I remember one from the mid-90s that had two men traveling on H3, and the question of why there are Interstates in HI.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

formulanone

Quote from: SteveG1988 on March 06, 2014, 10:37:41 AM
Here are a few roads for ya, in an advert campaign from 1993/1994, it is interesting what has and hasn't really happened, or it has happened in a different way

It looks like he's driving a W124 E-Class Mercedes in that ad. Mercedes-Benz was one of the first automakers with in-dash navigation units available, but not commercially available for a few years. Amazing that nearly everything (save the phone booths and that nearly everything looked like it was an out-take from Blade Runner) came true in some way, although the videophone premise exists. Looking back, the link between booths and the phone card - both a common sight in 1993/94 - had to be preserved because it was their current business model, and people could relate to it tangibly in some way.

Somewhere, TV road/car ads which gloss over every realistic scenario:

- The rain-slicked road on a sunny day
- The large city which has no traffic during daytime
- The parking spot right in front of the building in downtown
- Construction zones performing the most hazardous types of jobs just inches away from your windshield
- Windshields without glare
- People who can carry on a conversation in a moving convertible
- Curvy rural roads with no large vehicle traffic upon them
- Garages that are entirely white or black and have just the right lighting

Laura

I feel like the majority of roads in ads are non-descript so that the ad can be played nationwide and not be tied to any region. It honestly makes the commercials kind of blah and flavorless.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.