Freeways that obliterated the previous route

Started by getemngo, March 21, 2014, 03:05:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thenetwork

Quote from: vegas1962 on March 23, 2014, 03:57:47 PM
I-96 essentially replaced Schoolcraft Rd. between I-275 and Evergreen Rd., even though Schoolcraft never "officially" had any sort of route designation and the name was retained for the service drive that serves that entire stretch of the freeway.

Actually, Schoolcraft Road was briefly signed "officially" as M-2 when the majority of the Jeffries Freeway was being constructed in the mid-70s. 

JustDrive

I-5 between Fort Tejon and the actual Grapevine...it was built directly on top of old US 99. 

Also, I-10 between Cabazon and Indio was also built on top of old US 60/99

route56

Quote from: J N Winkler on March 22, 2014, 08:55:06 PM
The vast majority of Kansas' Interstate mileage is on new location.  Probably the best example of a modern freeway that obliterated a forerunner surface street is Kellogg Avenue in Wichita.  However, a considerable length of I-35 in Johnson County from 63rd Street south is built on top of a US 50 relocation which was itself constructed (per USGS 7.5" quads) between 1935 and 1957.  At one time there was a trumpet connection between US 50 and 63rd Street which was obliterated when I-35 was built to the north on a new alignment loosely following but not overlapping Merriam Drive, Merriam Lane, and Southwest Blvd.

According to the KDOT resolutions, this stretch of US 50 was built in or around 1950. I-35 from Olathe to Ottawa was let in 1957. The Wellsville-Ottawa stretch was opened in 1958, the rest was complete by 1960.

I'd probably be more inclined to say that the US 50 relocation was a precursor to the interstate system.
Peace to you, and... don't drive like my brother.

R.P.K.

J N Winkler

Quote from: route56 on March 27, 2014, 11:05:14 AMAccording to the KDOT resolutions, this stretch of US 50 was built in or around 1950. I-35 from Olathe to Ottawa was let in 1957. The Wellsville-Ottawa stretch was opened in 1958, the rest was complete by 1960.

I'd probably be more inclined to say that the US 50 relocation was a precursor to the interstate system.

If this part of US 50 was built around 1950, then it would have been known an Interstate highway was supposed to run in this general corridor, and the relocation might have been built with room left under bridges for a second carriageway, like the Super Two freeway relocations of US 75 and US 69 in the 1970's.  The 1957 USGS 7.5" quadrangle suggests this is the case since the contour lines are offset more to the west of the US 50 roadway than to the east.  However, I don't know of a way to obtain definitive confirmation other than to get hold of the original construction plans (this is reason 1,143 why I wish KDOT would set up an online as-builts repository).

HistoricAerials.com has 1959 aerial imagery (already shows I-35, with the Shawnee Mission Parkway cloverleaf in place), 1958 topographic mapping (essentially the same as 1957, with trumpet connection and single-carriageway road), 1954 mapping (no trumpet, what looks like a new US 50 routing in unbordered red), and 1943 mapping (old US 50 city-street routing).
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

xcellntbuy

There are sections of old NY 17 literally underneath an elevated section of the current NY 17.  One of our members, I believe, has photos on their website.

mgk920

Among others here in Wisconsin (especially I-43 in northern Milwaukee County), most of I-94 between Milwaukee and Madison obliterated former WI 30.  Also, I-(41)/94 in Racine and Kenosha Counties evolved into what it is today over the years on the original routing of US 41 (previously the first incarnation of WI 15).

Mike

RoadWarrior56

The SB lanes of I-24 on the south side of Monteagle TN totally obliterated the old 3-lane 2-way section of US 41/US 64.

TheOneKEA

In Maryland, Interstate 97 north of MD 32 and south of Business MD 3 replaced the southbound lanes of MD 3. The original southbound roadway was replaced with the northbound roadway of I-97, and a new southbound roadway was built next to it. Because MD 3's roadways were not built adjacent to one another in the area, there was little to no displacement of any businesses or homes. South of the existing terminus of MD 32, the northbound lanes of I-97 follow a formerly two-lane segment of MD 32 that used to terminate at the existing junction of the Exit 5 ramps and MD 178; in fact, the original sign assembly on northbound MD 178 still uses the original signage indicating that MD 32 west is straight ahead.

In Cumberland, Interstate 68 directly replaced US 40 on its elevated downtown bypass and uses the surface alignments on either side of the elevated section as-is, with the only obvious change being the acquisition of access controls. On the eastern side, the original roadbed that leads to the four-lane undivided segment of MD 144 between Bedford Road and the US 220 interchange can still be seen. Further east, in Hancock, the old US 40 bypass around that town was replaced by the easternmost four miles of I-68 and the first three miles of I-70 south of the Mason-Dixon Line.

TheStranger

In South San Francisco and San Bruno, the segment of I-280 between the Avalon Drive and Crystal Springs Road exits supplanted much of the southernmost portion of Junipero Serra Boulevard.
Chris Sampang

djlynch

Quote from: txstateends on March 24, 2014, 02:50:55 PM
Texas:

(snip)

Also much of I-35's alignment. It's particularly evident between Temple and Waco, where the freeway plows straight through the middle of Troy and Bruceville-Eddy.

US81

Quote from: djlynch on April 23, 2014, 10:36:45 AM
Texas:

(snip)

Also much of I-35's alignment. It's particularly evident between Temple and Waco, where the freeway plows straight through the middle of Troy and Bruceville-Eddy.

There is at least one older US 81 alignment between Temple and Waco including thru Bruceville-Eddy and Troy. (Several can be found in both Waco and Temple proper.) I don't know the chronology as definitely as I would like, but some segments look old enough that I think it likely that US 81 had moved from the older (west) alignment to the current location and then I-35 was constructed "on top".

In the 1980's, there were long segments all along I-35 thru Texas where one frontage road was obviously older than the other where it was easy to infer that the old two-lane highway had been converted to function as service road; far fewer of these now.

Modified to add: Troy and Salado have those great old 1950's era bridges (similar to the Austin "lower deck") that I presume date from the original I-35 construction. 

amroad17

Just thought of two more:

I-690 was built over State Fair Blvd. north and east of the Fairgrounds near Syracuse.  The part north of the Fairgrounds was upgraded on the spot--where the parking area is now between the relocated State Fair Blvd. and I-690; the part east obliterated where State Fair Blvd. went to Bear Street.
DE 1 obliterated the former Dupont Highway (US 13) for nearly 3/4 mile south of Tybouts Corner.  This is where, if you are driving southbound, you can see the original and partly abandoned Dupont Highway to the right.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

roadman65

Oh yes, I forgot this one in NJ.  The massive Woodbridge, NJ Tangle (Garden State Parkway, US 9, NJ 440, and NJ Turnpike) had the Garden State Parkway built over previous US 9.  Originally the Garden State Parkway was where US 9 is and vise versa.  Evidence still shows the former configuration if you look at the New Brunswick Avenue overpass on US 9 NB where there is a faded sign on the right side abutment that reads "New Brunswick Ave." which is typical of the GSP on most of its overpasses identifying the cross roads instead of the usual overhead on the girders or parapet.

Although not a freeway, in Orlando John Young Parkway extension is built over a former section of Carder Road.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

texaskdog

I-94 over US 12 east of Saint Paul before it goes into Wisconsin.

mgk920

I-70 obliterated several significant chunks of the former US 6 between Denver, CO and Green River, UT, the most well known being the Glenwood Canyon section.

More locally, the new US 45 freeway between US(I)-41 in Oshkosh (Algoma Interchange) and US 10 (Winchester Interchange) obliterated a couple of sections of the previous WI 110.  On the part just south of US 10, the southbound side of the freeway uses the previous WI 110 concrete.

Mike

TXtoNJ

Quote from: US81 on April 23, 2014, 01:23:44 PM
Quote from: djlynch on April 23, 2014, 10:36:45 AM
Texas:

(snip)

There is at least one older US 81 alignment between Temple and Waco including thru Bruceville-Eddy and Troy. (Several can be found in both Waco and Temple proper.) I don't know the chronology as definitely as I would like, but some segments look old enough that I think it likely that US 81 had moved from the older (west) alignment to the current location and then I-35 was constructed "on top".

In the 1980's, there were long segments all along I-35 thru Texas where one frontage road was obviously older than the other where it was easy to infer that the old two-lane highway had been converted to function as service road; far fewer of these now.

Modified to add: Troy and Salado have those great old 1950's era bridges (similar to the Austin "lower deck") that I presume date from the original I-35 construction. 

In the Houston area, there's also I-45 from the Shepherd Curve north to Conroe, which obliterated US 75, and then the Katy Freeway, which only obliterated old US 90 (aka Old Katy Rd) in the recent reconstruction.

JustDrive

CA 99 between I-5 and Union Avenue in southern Kern County was built directly on top of old US 99. 

rte66man

Texas:
-- Much of I-40 east and west of Amarillo was built onto US 66 or used US 66's lanes as service road .....

That is true of much of I-40 west from Oklahoma City to Barstow.  While it's true there are long sections in OK and AZ (especially the stretch from Ash Fork to Oatman), far too much of it was obliterated in TX, NM, and CA.
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

billtm

In Indiana, I-65 obliterated old US 52 from Lebanon to Whitestown Pkwy., and now old 52 is a frontage road (Indianapolis Rd.). Also, I-74 obliterated old US 421 from Acton Rd. to Shelbyville, and now old 421 is a frontage road too (Southeastern Ave. / Michigan Rd.).

SidS1045

Not sure this strictly qualifies, but:  Horace Harding Boulevard -> Long Island Expressway in Queens NY.
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

roadman65

FL 570 took over part of Drane Field Road which is now a frontage road to FL 570.

I-64 near Williamsburg took over the WB lanes of former VA 168 making the original EB lanes (and first two lane carriageway) into a frontage road.

I-95 took the NB lanes of former 4 lane US 301 between Jarrat and present day Exit 41 near Petersburg.  US 301 now uses its original roadway that for a short while were SB only lanes north of Jarrat.

Sheryl Crowe

SteveG1988

The Vine St Expressway in Philadelphia totally obliterated the original routing of vine street. What remains are access roads with the name vine street. As far as i know though.

View of the railroad bridge

Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

amroad17

I-71 in Cincinnati obliterated parts of Duck Creek Road between exit 5 (Montgomery Road) and exit 8 (Ridge Road).  The parts obliterated are the Dana Avenue interchange (exit 5 SB), the Williams Road on ramp, and the massive Norwood Lateral/Ridge Road interchange.  There are websites devoted to this: one is duckcreek.org and another is queencitydiscovery.blogspot.com.

If I am not allowed to post these websites, let me know and I will edit this post.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

Alps

Quote from: SteveG1988 on May 20, 2014, 07:02:26 PM
The Vine St Expressway in Philadelphia totally obliterated the original routing of vine street. What remains are access roads with the name vine street. As far as i know though.

Are those BOTT'S DOTS??

roadman65

This picture brings back memories for me.  As a child I remember this street just as it is in the photo.  It was configured like Roosevelt Boulevard is Northeast Philly, and around Penn Square it was one way westbound while EB had to use Ridge Avenue SE Bound to Race Street to get to the Ben Franklin Bridge.

Yeah it was just when I moved to Florida in 1990 when they had Vine Street dug up to make the current suppressed freeway.  I had to wait 8 months to see the finished result as it was my first visit to New Jersey since my move when I got the chance to view the final results.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.