News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Is road rage getting worse or what?

Started by roadman65, April 10, 2014, 09:24:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mergingtraffic

Quote from: jeffandnicole on April 14, 2014, 08:40:33 AM
Quote from: SidS1045 on April 14, 2014, 07:47:29 AM
Quote from: doofy103 on April 13, 2014, 06:22:48 PMBut if I'm doing 85mph in a 65 in the left lane and somebody is tailgating me, why should I move over?  I don't.  You're not supposed to go 85mph anyway.  Now, if I'm doing 65mph in a 65mph then I do.

Wrong.  Every state has laws against what is usually called "failure to yield," and they are not speed-limit-dependent.  You are required to move to the right, if it's safe to do so, if faster traffic is coming up behind you.

And, as has already been pointed out, if you aren't a cop it's not up to you to enforce your own peculiar brand of "law."  If your hypothetical tailgater isn't supposed to go 85 neither are you.

Thank you.   Doofy103 basically defined road roage: "But if I'm doing (something, regardless if it's lawful or not) and somebody is (doing something else, regardless if it's lawful or not), why should I (do the lawful thing)? I don't. "

At some point along the line, people made the decision that the speed limit is THE law, and all other laws are secondary.  Now, we have gotten to the point where someone's individual comfort speed is THE law; the speed limit law is secondary, and all other laws fall behind that.

I don't know about all states, but usually the speed limit is actually just one of many laws, all independent of each other.

In the above example, the poster believes that because they are going a certain speed above the speed limit, they don't have to obey other laws.  Make that *certain* other laws.  Would the poster say "I'm going 85 in a 65.  Thus, I'm going to drink a beer".  Or "I'm going 85 in a 65.  I'm going to drive on the opposite side of the roadway"?  But yet, the poster writes "I'm going 85 in a 65.  I'm not going to move to the right".

What's the difference? None, other than personal road rage, in which the poster has determined that he will control what speed others will do.

I could care less what others go and I don't try to slow others down but if I'm passing somebody and there's somebody behind me that can't wait the seconds it takes me to pass the other vehicle or vehicles, why should I speed up to complete my pass faster to satisfy them!? 

If I'm doing 70mph in a 55mph passing 6 cars and somebody is tailgating me (who was doing 85mph before they got up to me), why should I only pass 2 cars and get back over to the right lane satisfy THEM?!  I'm going to complete what I intended to do, pass the 6 cars. 

It's like: people that go faster than YOU go to fast but someone going slower than YOU are too slow.  It's part of the "all about me" attitude.  If you don't go what speed I WANT to go, get outta my way. 

Note: I also hate left lane campers, the ones that sit to the back-left of vehicles or the ones doing 50mph in the left lane for miles on end.  Those I agree hamper the flow of traffic.
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

corco

If you're actively passing cars, you don't need to get over. If you pass two cars, and the next clump are a half mile ahead of you, yeah, you probably need to get over. Absolutely, though, if you're passing cars and somebody comes up and tailgates you wanting to go faster, you have no obligation to get over. If the speed limit is 70, and the cars in the right lane are going 35, you have a right to be in the left lane going 40 but for god's sake get over as soon as you finish passing.

Otherwise, it's kind of arbitrary- who are you to say that 70 MPH is "fast enough"? I almost have more respect for people who left-lane camp at the speed limit, because at least they're using a non-arbitrary number. If you're already speeding, your choice of what is "fast enough" is as arbitrary as everybody else's, so why should your number be the number?*

*This is not to suggest or imply that I think passing lanes have anything to do with speed limits. Speed has absolutely nothing to do with passing lanes, except in the context of A) Am I going faster than the car to the right, and B) If I get over, is the car behind me going fast enough that I can get over and then back over before I hit the next group of cars.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: doofy103 on April 14, 2014, 09:15:36 PM
...(who was doing 85mph before they got up to me)...

How do you know they were going 85 mph before they got up to you?

Mergingtraffic

Quote from: jeffandnicole on April 14, 2014, 09:34:21 PM
Quote from: doofy103 on April 14, 2014, 09:15:36 PM
...(who was doing 85mph before they got up to me)...

How do you know they were going 85 mph before they got up to you?

That's the one point you get me on in my response?!   

If I'm doing 90mph and the normal speed of traffic is 70mph, you're saying all cars doing less than 90 need to get out of my way?  It would be nice, but we share the road with others.  I'm the one out of line, the one going 90 not the rest of the cars doing 70-80. 

Thank you CORCO for getting what I'm try to say.

It's like getting mad because there are 5 people ahead of you at the fast food restaurant.  Too bad. 
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

mass_citizen

the left lane is not legal for travel, only passing. so you're both breaking the law in that case, regardless of speed. unless of course as you said you are passing a platoon of cars.

I started slowing down a bit when I used to aggressively pass cars in my muscle car and speed only to get off at an off-ramp and sit at a stop light. who pulls up 5 cars behind me? that guy I was in such a rush to pass a mile ago.

just isn't worth the extra 10-15 mph. 

TheKnightoftheInterstate

Quote from: DaBigE on April 10, 2014, 11:36:25 PM
I think it has to do with the growth of the "me first" society/mentality that technology and social media is creating. People (especially the younger generations) sit behind the safety of a keyboard for most of what they do, not realizing there are real consequences to their actions. They expect instant gratification regardless of the cost to someone else because somehow their time is more valuable than anyone else. This then transfers to when they're behind the wheel. And when something does happen, it's someone else's fault.

My $0.02; now pass the popcorn  :wave:

This!

I am college-aged and I completely agree with this assessment. My peers are frankly awful. It is probably why I am such a loner, the hypocrisy of people is overwhelming.

Also, I blame it on the tidal wave of quick forgiveness that has swept away this world. There aren't enough consequences for one's actions nowadays. A simple sorry doesn't cut it in the real world. It shouldn't matter who you are or where you are from or your background, you commit a crime or a felony, you pay the piper.

Incidents like this are why I am not a hurry to get my license.
I-99= From Cumberland to Corning if life was fair

I-95 disappearance and reappearance in NJ is the greatest trick since Houdini

Irony: When a road geek doesn't know how to drive

Let's Go Bucs!

These boots had to see California
and an Arizona morning where God paints the sky
-Eric Church

agentsteel53

Quote from: mass_citizen on April 15, 2014, 01:27:22 AMonly to get off at an off-ramp and sit at a stop light. who pulls up 5 cars behind me? that guy I was in such a rush to pass a mile ago.

sometimes it is.  somewhere in those 5 cars might be someone who will, on the next 45mph two-laner, decide to go 30mph, braking randomly and maintaining no awareness of the double-yellow, because they have important texts to answer.  I consider it a good thing to be ahead of them.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Brian556

Quote from the knight of the interstate:

QuoteAlso, I blame it on the tidal wave of quick forgiveness that has swept away this world. There aren't enough consequences for one's actions nowadays

Very well said. To be honest, I'm surprised that there is so little road rage. It's amazing what people will tolerate, and that's part of the problem. There really should be more road rage, and that would, in my opinion, actually help things, because it might get people's attention enough to change their behavior.

I don't tolerate shit like other drivers do. If I come up on somebody driving slow in the left lane, I will flash my lights and blow my horn.
If somebody make a right turn in front of me without a signal, I honk.

A lot of this behavior is prevalent because the police are failing to do their job. If people feared consequences for their behavior, they would behave. It's like those kids you see in stores misbehaving and defying their parents, because they know the parent doesn't have enough balls to lay down the law.

In Louisiana, nobody speeds because they know the speed limit is actually enforced there. You get into FL on I-10, and people are complete jerks. They go 90, and won't allow drivers in the right lane into the left lane to pass a slowpoke like they are supposed to be able to do.

It's ridiculous that the city will get onto people for having their grass too high ,yet they do nothing about drivers without headlights at dusk. These people are nearly invisible, and are a threat to other's lives, and should be dealt with seriously and accordingly.

Kids should need discipline like this, adults should not. Adults should be able to discipline themselves. However, these issues, along with "alcoholism" and obesity (in most cases), prove otherwise. It's a shame that people don't do right, if for nothing else, to maintain a civilized society. As an adult, I figured out that you have to think about both what good for yourself, and the greater good and function as a whole, and act accordingly.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: mass_citizen on April 14, 2014, 01:44:36 AM
and I thought I was the only one that noticed this trend. its especially frustrating when people take every aggressive move possible to get ahead of you only to come to a red light. it has definitely gotten worse over the last ten years or so.

at least for all the Mass-holes here in MA.

I guess as people learn to drive, their baseline ends up being the prevailing behavior of the time.  They take it from there and run with it, adding their own hurry, panic, and self-absorption.

Someone cut into my right turn lane just as I was about to turn yesterday, forcing his big vehicle into my ROW where the is space only designed for one car.

I leaned on the horn, and he pulled alongside me at the next light not to tell me where to stick it, but almost worse, politely explained that his maneuver was planned out and not malicious. 

If people can't tell what's egregious anymore, how do we even conceive of a reasonable standard to shoot for?

jeffandnicole

Quote from: agentsteel53 on April 15, 2014, 08:40:05 PM
Quote from: mass_citizen on April 15, 2014, 01:27:22 AMonly to get off at an off-ramp and sit at a stop light. who pulls up 5 cars behind me? that guy I was in such a rush to pass a mile ago.

sometimes it is.  somewhere in those 5 cars might be someone who will, on the next 45mph two-laner, decide to go 30mph, braking randomly and maintaining no awareness of the double-yellow, because they have important texts to answer.  I consider it a good thing to be ahead of them.

Exactly.  People often will make the comparison of being at the next light.  What about 2 lights down?  Or 3?   In football, not every pass is in the endzone.  They gain a few yards, then a few more, and eventually they hope to succeed with a touchdown.

I'm not saying people need to be cutting others off.  But just because someone wants to drive a certain way doesn't mean that everyone needs to be like them.  If I managed to pass someone and now the car ahead of them at the light, I'm still ahead of them.

roadman65

You know John Tesh once did a radio show on road rage.  He was pointing out that we could be the one's causing others to flare up without even knowing it.  We should keep right except to pass at all times, and if we are unsure of where we are going either pull off the road and consult a map (or gps) or find someone for directions. Being from Orlando I see all these tourists drive at 5 mph on a road that is 55 mph making sudden lane changes or sudden stops because they are lost.  Thus holding up traffic in the meantime stirring up blood pressure in many not so much that they are being held back in driving, but experiencing the wonder of why common sense is not being displayed in the other motorist.

I once saw one guy in the left turn lane on Central Florida Parkway Westbound to International Drive Southbound change his mind and want to go straight instead. He was the third car in line from the stop bar, and many behind him.  The light is timed to allow over 20 cars to turn left by fixed timer and not use the hoops here.  So he had over 11 cars behind him that did not make the light as he stood there waiting for the through signal to turn green so he can proceed with them which took place after the left turn signal ended.  So only 2 cars made the left turn light, while 11 others had to wait for the next left turn signal because this very ignorant driver does not want to accept responsibility of his mistake of being in the wrong lane.  That is an act that could cause road rage there and the one who gets outraged there was provoked by an excusable act.  Common sense should have told the driver he was obstructing traffic as well as the horns being honked at him.

This is one of many things tourists do when visiting the Sunshine State and I imagine elsewhere, so it can contribute to this ongoing problem.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

pctech

I'm not sure if incidents of road rage are increasing, but clueless, distracted, indifferent driving sure is.

jbnv

Quote from: Brian556 on April 15, 2014, 10:19:59 PM
A lot of this behavior is prevalent because the police are failing to do their job.

More likely that the police are doing their job dealing with stuff like murders, rapes and thefts. Most jurisdictions don't have the resources to have a cop on every highway just waiting for someone to exceed the speed limit or make an improper lane change.

I think we should consider simplifying the traffic law. You cause an accident, you pay a fine and restitution. Injure or kill someone, go to jail. Impaired or distracted driving? Pay a fine and lose your driving privilege temporarily or permanently. We can talk about the details, but the simple fact is that we can't enforce every jot and tittle of our complex laws.
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

jeffandnicole

Another factor: There's a lot of laws out there.  Almost everyone...yes, that means you, the person reading this...is breaking a law out there while driving. You probably don't know it, but you're not following every law that exists.

The police can stop people for various violations, but they're often hearing "Why are you pulling me over?  Everyone else is speeding."  Or "Why are you pulling me over for (this violation).  Other people are doing (other things that are way worse)". 

It's a never-ending battle...everyone thinks they are obeying the law, and when they're not obeying the law, it's not the most outrageous violation to them.

Brandon

^^ Far too many laws, IMHO.  Personally, I think it is high time we took stock what laws we have and start getting rid of silly ones.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

US71

Quote from: jeffandnicole on April 16, 2014, 09:40:36 AM
Another factor: There's a lot of laws out there.  Almost everyone...yes, that means you, the person reading this...is breaking a law out there while driving. You probably don't know it, but you're not following every law that exists.

The police can stop people for various violations, but they're often hearing "Why are you pulling me over?  Everyone else is speeding."  Or "Why are you pulling me over for (this violation).  Other people are doing (other things that are way worse)". 

It's a never-ending battle...everyone thinks they are obeying the law, and when they're not obeying the law, it's not the most outrageous violation to them.

Murphy's Law: in a row of 20 cars driving over the speed limit, the state police will stop YOU. ;)
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

roadman65

You know its funny how ongoing speed traps can still catch many people day to day.  You figure with the word out of their presence, that people would heed the speed limits, yet they do not.

In my subdivision cops are always out daily issuing speeding citations constantly and yet when I do the posted speed limit on this one arterial that is always patrolled, I get a line of cars behind me that were not there when I started.  In fact I have one video I posted on my youtube of me driving down the road that has the daily speed trap enforced on it, where a road raged driver passed me by and was out of the video within seconds of his passing me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6gg2uL8VNE
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

1995hoo

Quote from: Brian556 on April 15, 2014, 10:19:59 PM
Quote from the knight of the interstate:

QuoteAlso, I blame it on the tidal wave of quick forgiveness that has swept away this world. There aren't enough consequences for one's actions nowadays

Very well said. To be honest, I'm surprised that there is so little road rage. It's amazing what people will tolerate, and that's part of the problem. There really should be more road rage, and that would, in my opinion, actually help things, because it might get people's attention enough to change their behavior.

The other thing that I find interesting is the attitude so many people have that certain behaviors are acceptable behind the wheel that they would never attempt anywhere else. For example, at two different intersections near my house the left lane of three becomes left-turn-only. At both of them, it's quite common to see people come driving along in the left lane, right blinker on, and then shoving in at the last second or even just going straight and assuming other people will back down. Essentially, that's cutting the line, right? Do you think those people try that sort of thing at the supermarket checkout line or the restroom at a stadium? Of course they don't. The argument "I was in a hurry" doesn't really work–I'd suggest that many times the people in the stadium toilet line have a more urgent need than the average driver on the road does, but "I really gotta go RIGHT NOW" is not something I've ever heard anyone say in an attempt to cut the toilet line.

I'm sure part of the reason why people feel emboldened behind the wheel is similar to why you get the "Internet tough-guy" persona sometimes: People feel like they're protected when they're sitting behind a keyboard and not dealing with the other person face-to-face, and they feel something similar in the car because the vehicle provides something of a shield. Let's face it, the average driver doesn't want to be in a crash and will usually back down when someone gets super-aggressive if it looks like there will be a crash.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Pete from Boston

This is my feeling as well, and though it makes me sound 100 years old every time I say it, I feel like the internet is teaching us all that we're each very important.  After all, we're not only all instant experts, but our opinions and feelings (and mundane daily anecdotes) have been published and received by the community.  Our collective ego energy is at an historical peak.

jbnv

Quote from: Brandon on April 16, 2014, 09:46:14 AM
^^ Far too many laws, IMHO.  Personally, I think it is high time we took stock what laws we have and start getting rid of silly ones.

I think most speed limits on expressways and arterial roads can be repealed. If traffic is going to flow at whatever speed it feels like flowing, let it. Driving much faster than the flow, weaving around cars and other such misbehavior will still be illegal as reckless driving or endangerment. Driving too slow for your lane or otherwise impeding the flow of traffic can be a misdemeanor.
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

jeffandnicole

Quote from: jbnv on April 16, 2014, 02:35:09 PM
...Driving too slow for your lane or otherwise impeding the flow of traffic can be a misdemeanor grounds for the electric chair.

Fixed for you.

Pete from Boston

I think most speed limits on expressways and arterial roads can be repealed. If traffic is going to flow at whatever speed it feels like flowing, let it. Driving much faster than the flow, weaving around cars and other such misbehavior will still be illegal as reckless driving or endangerment. Driving too slow for your lane or otherwise impeding the flow of traffic can be a misdemeanor.

Misdemeanor?  You're calling for driving too slow for one's lane to be an arrestable offense?

jbnv

Quote from: Pete from Boston on April 16, 2014, 05:15:04 PM

Misdemeanor?  You're calling for driving too slow for one's lane to be an arrestable offense?

Probably not in and of itself, but surely should be cause for being pulled over and investigated for some greater violation, like DUI.

jfs1988

I guess so. A few minutes someone created a passing lane out of the left turn lane. It was in a school zone (25 MPH), however no children were present (35 MPH). What was the reason for passing? A TV Show is more important than traffic safety. Traffic Flow was going smoothly too. That driver passed 3 vehicles.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: jbnv on April 16, 2014, 05:38:46 PM
Quote from: Pete from Boston on April 16, 2014, 05:15:04 PM

Probably not in and of itself, but surely should be cause for being pulled over and investigated for some greater violation, like DUI.

This is probably often the case already.  I would bet the chemically and/or electronically distracted tend to stick out more by driving too slow (and erratically, of course) than they do by speeding. 

Of course, I drive a truck that has little interest in anything approaching high speed, but I guess I manage to keep it reasonably in the neighborhood of the limit on all but the steeper hills.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.