News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

A map of places in the United States where there are no roads

Started by cpzilliacus, May 04, 2014, 01:28:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cpzilliacus

Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

algorerhythms

It looks pretty much an inverse population density map.

Zeffy

I expected New Jersey to be more yellow, considering we're the densest state in terms of population, and you're in a new town every 5 miles or so (exceptions apply).
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

Scott5114

That map's scale is seriously jacked up. What is that, logarithmic? And although I normally advocate use of km, in this case, they're useless, because I would imagine a wide swath of the US has values of 0.5 mi (the center of a mile-road square), but that works out to 0.8 km, which is hard to pick out on the scale.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

sammi

"I love that this map is measured is something we don't measure roads in the US with." - /u/Johnhaven from reddit
("Except for I-19. Fuck yeah." - /u/ModusPwnins)

Why is this map in km, anyway? It says the resolution is 30 m, but I'm assuming that's actually 30.48 m (100 ft).

Duke87

That's a log scale, yes.

It is interesting how this map does not produce a pronounced and obvious dividing line between east and west the same way a population density map does. What this tells us is that you can still have a lot of roads without a lot of people (just look at Wyoming).

Although I do wonder how they define "road". Do ATV trails count? What about unpaved roads which are in rough enough condition as to only passable to vehicles with high ground clearance?
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

SD Mapman

Quote from: Duke87 on May 04, 2014, 02:12:52 PM
Although I do wonder how they define "road". Do ATV trails count? What about unpaved roads which are in rough enough condition as to only passable to vehicles with high ground clearance?
That explains Wyoming, then.
The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. - G.K. Chesterton

triplemultiplex

Quote from: Duke87 on May 04, 2014, 02:12:52 PM

Sure, those are roads.  They're not good roads, but they count.

"That's just like... your opinion, man."

sammi

Quote from: SD Mapman on May 05, 2014, 12:27:38 AM
That explains Wyoming, then.

:spin:

(Fun fact: I accidentally zoomed in on Colorado the first time. :))

oscar

Quote from: algorerhythms on May 04, 2014, 01:31:07 PM
It looks pretty much an inverse population density map.

It seems like most of the areas in green (lowest road density) are mountainous areas, or the hillier desert regions, where even bad roads are hard to build or otherwise unlikely.  One of them in Nevada, probably in the latter category, looks like the nuclear test site northwest of Las Vegas.  Not one of them is Death Valley, which has a very low population density but is criss-crossed with many bad (and sometimes deadly) unpaved roads.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Road Hog

South Florida is pretty striking, where you have dark green (the Everglades) right next to the bright yellow.

jakeroot

I am not familiar with the eastern US, but I wouldn't have expected Appalachia to be that...dense? Road-filled? More roads than I would have thought.

golden eagle

formulanone

Quote from: Road Hog on May 06, 2014, 04:18:44 PM
South Florida is pretty striking, where you have dark green (the Everglades) right next to the bright yellow.

One moment you're deep in a vast grid system designed for six million people...thirty minutes later, you can be 25 miles from any through roads other than the one you're presently on.

xcellntbuy

Quote from: formulanone on May 15, 2014, 09:12:19 PM

One moment you're deep in a vast grid system designed for six million people...thirty minutes later, you can be 25 miles from any through roads other than the one you're presently on.
Absolutely true.  If you have ever flown at night into south Florida, the dividing line (called the urban development boundary (UDB) between development and wild Everglades is absolutely stark.  Lots of people, homes and businesses in the east, millions of birds and hungry alligators in the west.

-NCX75-

Quote from: xcellntbuy on May 15, 2014, 09:36:06 PM

Absolutely true.  If you have ever flown at night into south Florida, the dividing line (called the urban development boundary (UDB) between development and wild Everglades is absolutely stark.  Lots of people, homes and businesses in the east, millions of birds and hungry alligators in the west.

I'd hate to be one of those guys whose backyard backs to the edge of the Everglades... here in DFW we obviously don't have to worry about that. Heck, there is probably a new subdivision up in Celina, TX (30+ miles from Dallas) as I type, and when I wake up tomorrow morning it'll be the next big suburb.

(slight exaggeration here, for both FL and TX.  :sombrero: )

Oh, as for the map, I think it would be sufficient to look at a road map and find the areas without roads.  :spin:

formulanone

Quote from: -NCX75- on May 15, 2014, 11:18:50 PM
I'd hate to be one of those guys whose backyard backs to the edge of the Everglades... here in DFW we obviously don't have to worry about that.

I used to live about one mile from the western fringes of the "Water Conservation Area" - basically, that huge expanse west of civilization that is neither national preserve land nor national park - but other than lots of mosquitoes in the summer evenings, it was nice knowing there wouldn't be anything built further west than there, because it was perpetually under water, mud, sawgrass, and alligators.

That's what makes it so different; many large urban agglomerations have the city core(s), then suburbs, then rural and small towns, and then low-population density farmland. There in South Florida, it's mostly Atlantic Ocean - Cities - Dense Suburbs - Canal - Levee Wall - Almost Uninhabited Swampland compressed between a 10-to-15 mile span. I guess the southern areas of Louisiana are kind of the same way, although the coastal terrain is even more inhospitable, so civilization is mostly located more inland, and along the Mississippi River, as it is the backbone of their economy.

-NCX75-

Quote from: formulanone on May 15, 2014, 11:33:38 PM
I'd hate to be one of those guys whose backyard backs to the edge of the Everglades... here in DFW we obviously don't have to worry about that.

I used to live about one mile from the western fringes of the "Water Conservation Area" - basically, that huge expanse west of civilization that is neither national preserve land nor national park - but other than lots of mosquitoes in the summer evenings, it was nice knowing there wouldn't be anything built further west than there, because it was perpetually under water, mud, sawgrass, and alligators.

That's what makes it so different; many large urban agglomerations have the city core(s), then suburbs, then rural and small towns, and then low-population density farmland. There in South Florida, it's mostly Atlantic Ocean - Cities - Dense Suburbs - Canal - Levee Wall - Almost Uninhabited Swampland compressed between a 10-to-15 mile span. I guess the southern areas of Louisiana are kind of the same way, although the coastal terrain is even more inhospitable, so civilization is mostly located more inland, and along the Mississippi River, as it is the backbone of their economy.
I've never been to S. Florida, but when I went to New Orleans it was fascinating as to how quick the swamp gave way to the 'burbs. One second you're driving a causeway that lasts seemingly forever over uninhabitable wasteland, the next second you're in the good ol' city of Kenner. (I think it's all right... never spent much time there)

Road Hog

Quote from: xcellntbuy on May 15, 2014, 09:36:06 PM

I'd hate to be one of those guys whose backyard backs to the edge of the Everglades... here in DFW we obviously don't have to worry about that. Heck, there is probably a new subdivision up in Celina, TX (30+ miles from Dallas) as I type, and when I wake up tomorrow morning it'll be the next big suburb.

(slight exaggeration here, for both FL and TX.  :sombrero: )

Not too far off the mark for TX. Gotta watch out for coyotes and hawks if you have little animals.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.