News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Famous Vehicle Sightings In The Wild...

Started by thenetwork, May 23, 2014, 07:25:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thenetwork

If you are a true roadgeek, then the odds you have seen a famous vehicle cruising the highways and byways are pretty good.  What have you seen on the road???

-  I have been followed by the Oscar Meyer Weinermobile on the road in Western Colorado a few years ago.

-  I have also driven beside the Ghostbusters Ecto-1 car on I -90 in Cleveland.  I believe a car collector in the area bought the movie car and would drive it in parades and festivals.

getemngo

I too have seen the Weinermobile. It was at an event at a local grocery store, which my family stopped at, but none of us knew it was going to be there.

I've also driven behind the Dominator from Storm Chasers in my hometown. (And no, there were no tornados nearby.) That was a weird sight.
~ Sam from Michigan

kendancy66

On the way back from Las Vegas on I-15, I passed the time machine from the Back to the Future movies.  It was being transported on a trailer.  It had the Mr. Fusion adapter.  Had both the mid 80's California License Plate, and also the Future license plate next to it.  I think I also saw the flux capacitor and digital time display when I was checking it out.  Looks like someone at possibly bought it from a collector auction.

Also around year 2000. I was driving south on I-95 between Richmond and Petersburg VA.  Going in the other direction was the Blues Brothers 1975 Plymouth police car.  It had the big speakers on top.  If you remember from the movie, you might know what I am referring to.

Takumi

I see NASCAR haulers on I-95 and I-85 occasionally, usually when they're racing in Richmond. To expand the category to just "very rare cars", I've seen an Aston Martin of some sort on I-40/85, a couple Nissan GT-Rs, a few Lamborghinis, high-end Porsches, and a Ford Model A.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

hbelkins

I've seen a few NASCAR haulers, moreso heading to the Brickyard several years ago than Kentucky Speedway, because I haven't worked in Frankfort and thus commuted on I-64 since Kentucky got a Cup race.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

DaBigE

I routinely see the Wienermobile on my way to work, as OM uses a nearby hotel for the traveling "hot dog ambassadors". Occasionally, there will be upwards of 3 or four parked there at the same time. Most of the time it's the full-sized version, but I've also seen the "cocktail wienermobile" (build on a Mini Cooper) as well. Most recently, the Planters Peanutmobile has been there as well.
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

andrewkbrown

Presidential motorcades.

Seen them several times, been in two of them.
Firefighter/Paramedic
Washington DC Fire & EMS

hbelkins

I saw Bush 43 do a campaign stop for a Kentucky gubernatorial candidate back in 2003. It was at an airport, so I got a good look at Air Force One on the runway.

Thing 342

Quote from: hbelkins on May 24, 2014, 02:00:39 PM
I saw Bush 43 do a campaign stop for a Kentucky gubernatorial candidate back in 2003. It was at an airport, so I got a good look at Air Force One on the runway.
The 747s used for Air Force One routinely do landing exercises at the Newport News / Williamsburg  Airport. They are very loud.

I frequently pass by NASCAR trailers on I-85 between Charlotte and Greensboro.

Takumi

When Queen Elizabeth visited Jamestown a few years ago, my dad (who worked on an I-64 project on the way there) saw her land at Richmond and take off towards the Historical Triangle.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

algorerhythms

Quote from: getemngo on May 23, 2014, 07:42:44 PM
I've also driven behind the Dominator from Storm Chasers in my hometown. (And no, there were no tornados nearby.) That was a weird sight.

I've seen it several times, but it's probably not as notable for me because I live in Norman, Oklahoma.

Pete from Boston

I've seen Marine One heading into Boston from the south/west a couple of times.  I don't know if it was carrying someone important (president was in town at least one of those times) or if there's a staging point off in that direction.

bing101

Trucks for Indy cars, Nhra and Nascar on Ca 37 Parkway to Sonoma/Sears Point Race Track passing through Vallejo.

bing101

News ENG Vans for San Francisco TV Stations and Sacramento TV Stations on I-80 Solano County before going to story scene.

KABC7 News, CBS Los Angeles trucks going to the Fire Scene on the I-210 Freeway to look for wildfires.

rickmastfan67

My family raced several NASCAR haulers in the past when they were heading to Daytona along I-77/I-26 in SC.

renegade

The Google Street View car.  Twice.  On the same day.
Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

1995hoo

We saw the Weinermobile parked with its hood open, presumably for repairs, at a Penske truck rental place near our house.

Living in the DC area and working downtown for several years, I've seen the presidential motorcade go by quite a few times. The current limo is far more unique and distinctive than previous ones because it's so much more heavily armored. I think it's quite ugly, actually.

Last fall I was parked in front of this car I've seen quite a few times (that's my black Acura with my wife standing next to the open door). The license plate tells you who owns it:

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

DrSmith

I saw the Wienermobile going thru the toll plaza entering the Jersey Turnpike at Interchange 1 years back.

CNGL-Leudimin

Quote from: renegade on May 26, 2014, 02:26:27 AM
The Google Street View car.  Twice.  On the same day.

I've also seen the Street View car twice, but on different days.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

dave19

One time when I was sitting in the Pizza Hut in Ebensburg, PA, the OM Weinermobile pulled into the parking lot. Its occupants parked it in the back of the lot and came in for dinner. This was probably about 25 years ago.

Man cannot live on hot dogs alone...

:-D

Takumi

Quote from: 1995hoo on May 26, 2014, 08:53:47 AM

Needs more fender flares.

I've been behind the GMSV car before. I may be on GMSV in a few places in Hopewell now.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

signalman

I've seen the GMSV car 4 different times on various roads.  Also saw the OM Weinermobile at my work last summer.  They pulled in for gas and bought drinks inside.

hbelkins

Quote from: 1995hoo on May 26, 2014, 08:53:47 AM

Last fall I was parked in front of this car I've seen quite a few times (that's my black Acura with my wife standing next to the open door). The license plate tells you who owns it:

It's not computing for me.

1995hoo

Alex Ovechkin. He's been nicknamed "Alexander the Great" and "the Great 8" (he wears sweater number 8).
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Takumi

This whole time I thought it was Gilbert Arenas, who used to play for the Washington Wizards and had a nickname of Agent Zero (A0 could be an abbrevation thereof) and was a total head case.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.