News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

States that are connected more to another state than their own

Started by roadman65, May 26, 2014, 01:01:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

The discussion about the least amount of lanes between two states got me inspired to come up with this one here.

In New York you have State Island connected to New Jersey via twelve lanes on three crossings, while its connected to the rest of the state via 12 lanes on one crossing into Brooklyn and with the Staten Island Ferry not taking autos anymore it is only the Verazzano Bridge that has the only way to take your car intrastate to the rest of the state's land areas. 

Now you have the same amount of lanes from one area going from one section of a state to another as to its neighbor or even outside of its state.  Yet, in Virginia you have its Eastern Shore only connected to its mother land via four lanes on bridge, but narrows to two inside two of its tunnel going across the large water body, but more going to neighboring state Maryland as you have four of US 13 and many local two lane roads.  Thus having Eastern Shore of Virginia being more road accessible to Maryland than Virginia.

Then if you want to count Michigan's two peninsulas as two separate regions, you have only the four lanes of I-75 on the Mighty Mac connecting the two regions of Michigan while both Lower and Upper Peninsula have endless amounts of crossings to neighboring states and even Canada.  All except the UP and Canada with only two lanes of I-75 being two less than the Mackinac Bridge.

Any other areas of a state have more roads leading to another state than its own whether small or even a big concentrated area?
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Mapmikey

Washington DC on Columbia Island has 17 lanes connecting to Virginia and zero lanes connecting to any other part of DC...

The UP of Michigan is similar to the eastern Shore Virginia example.

Knotts Island NC has 6 lanes connecting to Virginia and zero to any other part of NC.

Mapmikey

Big John

hotdogPi

Directly south of Fall River MA is a section of Rhode Island that is only accessible from Rhode Island on RI 24, but has many Massachusetts crossings.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

CNGL-Leudimin

Any point that is contiguous to its territory but it can only be accesed from another territory qualifies. Point Roberts, the Northwest Angle, Os de Civis (Spain), that Austrian valley I forgot its name...
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

jp the roadgeek

Estcourt Station, ME is only accessible from Canada, and is the only point in Maine that has a 418 area code.  And Campobello Island, NB, is only accessible from Lubec, ME
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

hbelkins

Kentucky Bend, in the far western part of the state, is cut off from the rest of Kentucky by the Big Muddy, and is only accessible from Tennessee.

On the far other end of the state, Vulcan, WV, is accessible only via bridge from Pike County, Ky.

There is also another small section of Pike County, Ky., that can only be accessed by going through a part of Virginia. And a few spots along the Virginia secondary route that leads to that area are "islands" surrounded by the other state.

Same can be said of a few spots along WV/VA 102 between Bluefield and Pocahontas, where the road crosses the state line several times.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

vdeane

Hyde, AK, which is so disconnected from everywhere else that it is the only place one can legally enter the US without first reporting to customs (you can't leave without reporting to Canada though; I presume they have a station solely to prevent people from driving away immediately after getting "Hyderized").

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on May 26, 2014, 04:42:30 PM
Estcourt Station, ME is only accessible from Canada, and is the only point in Maine that has a 418 area code.
Technically there are logging roads that connect it.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

oscar

Quote from: vdeane on May 26, 2014, 10:06:39 PM
Hyde, AK, which is so disconnected from everywhere else that it is the only place one can legally enter the US without first reporting to customs (you can't leave without reporting to Canada though; I presume they have a station solely to prevent people from driving away immediately after getting "Hyderized").

No, until the customs station was opened in 1996, the RCMP kept an eye on the border for DUI violations. (So warned the town paramedic when I visited in 1994. She strongly urged me to walk around town for several hours while my Hyderization wore off.) More likely the station was to catch people smuggling low-tax American tobacco and alcohol from Hyder into Canada.

To expand the point about Alaska, all of southeastern Alaska has three roads (all two-lane and paved) into British Columbia (the roads out of Hyder, Haines, and Skagway), but the only motor vehicle connection to the rest of Alaska not going through B.C. and Yukon is the "cross-gulf" auto ferry line between Prince William Sound and Juneau.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

pianocello

An obvious answer is da UP, which is more easily accessible to Wisconsin than the rest of Michigan.
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

Bitmapped

There are a couple parts of Monongalia County, West Virginia that are only accessible from Pennsylvania.

The entire Eastern Panhandle of West Virginia is only connected to the rest of the state by 2 lanes (WV 9).

hbelkins

Are there no county routes that connect Hampshire and Morgan counties?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

corco

Alta, Wyoming is only accessible from Idaho.

The only paved connections to the Arizona Strip are only accessible by Nevada and Utah.

Idaho north of the Salmon River ( which is about a third of the state) has only two connections, one paved, to the rest of the state but dozens of connections to Washington.

froggie

QuoteAre there no county routes that connect Hampshire and Morgan counties?

There's one near the river due south of Paw Paw.  But I don't think Brian was referring to county lines, but instead to Cacapon Mountain...the mountain that parallels US 522 about a mile to the west.  There is only one road crossing of that mountain in West Virginia connecting to the eastern panhandle:  WV 9.  To the north is the Potomac.  The next road crossing to the south isn't until WV/VA 127.

1995hoo

Quote from: Mapmikey on May 26, 2014, 01:09:50 PM
Washington DC on Columbia Island has 17 lanes connecting to Virginia and zero lanes connecting to any other part of DC...

Do you not count Arlington Memorial Bridge as having lanes that connect to another part of DC, perhaps because of National Park Service jurisdiction versus DC government jurisdiction? It still qualifies for the OP's point because there are more lanes connecting to Virginia than there are across the bridge, of course. I'm just curious about the reasoning behind "zero lanes connecting to any other part of DC."

Regarding the original topic, there is a small area of Quebec accessible by land only from New York State. I cannot tell from the Google Maps imagery how many lanes there are because there is no Street View, but it appears to be two two-lane roads for a total of four lanes. The area is part of an Indian reservation, which probably explains why I don't see any signs of Customs facilities in either country for that little area:

https://www.google.com/maps/@45.0070635,-74.661959,15z
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Pete from Boston

There are countless examples of river-course boundary changes that strand territory across said river, inaccessible completely from its own state.  Too many to mention, really. 

TheCatalyst31

Kaskaskia, IL, is probably one of the more famous cases of a river-course change cutting off part of a state. It used to be the capital of Illinois, but now it's practically a ghost town and only accessible via Missouri.

theline

agentsteel53

there are precisely two roads from Ontario into western Canada.

plenty of roads from the US into Western Canada.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Alps

There are zero roads between any of the Hawaiian islands. They are therefore equally connected to Antarctica.

No, really, what?

Brandon

Quote from: Alps on May 28, 2014, 08:06:25 PM
There are zero roads between any of the Hawaiian islands. They are therefore equally connected to Antarctica.

No, really, what?

And there are no roads between any of the counties in Hawai'i either.  Even the one connected by land.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Road Hog

There are fingers of land created by Bull Shoals Lake in extreme northern Arkansas that are accessible only through Missouri. I believe those land areas have Missouri addresses and phone numbers and may even send their kids to Missouri schools.

Bitmapped

Quote from: froggie on May 27, 2014, 10:39:55 AM
QuoteAre there no county routes that connect Hampshire and Morgan counties?

There's one near the river due south of Paw Paw.  But I don't think Brian was referring to county lines, but instead to Cacapon Mountain...the mountain that parallels US 522 about a mile to the west.  There is only one road crossing of that mountain in West Virginia connecting to the eastern panhandle:  WV 9.  To the north is the Potomac.  The next road crossing to the south isn't until WV/VA 127.

Yes, I was referring to Cacapon Mountain.

mcdonaat

Louisiana east of the river connects to Mississippi more than the west side of the river. 39 lanes of river crossings, versus too-many-to-count state highways and county/parish roads crossing the border.

Landshark

Quote from: corco on May 27, 2014, 10:25:45 AM

Idaho north of the Salmon River ( which is about a third of the state) has only two connections, one paved, to the rest of the state but dozens of connections to Washington.

The panhandle of Idaho is better connected to WA, MT, and BC Canada than it is the rest of Idaho. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.