News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Variable speed limit signs

Started by tradephoric, May 28, 2014, 01:58:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jakeroot

Quote from: SteveG1988 on May 29, 2014, 06:07:07 AM
Quote from: 1 on May 28, 2014, 02:17:25 PM
Why is the left lane slower in the picture?

it looks more like a HOV lane entry as well

Only the HOT Lanes south of Seattle have entry/exit points. Free entry across the white solid lane is the practice.

US71

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Zeffy

Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

tradephoric

^WOW.  Any idea what the speed limit runs during school times?  I can't imagine it dropping down too far from 65 mph.

bulldog1979

The S-Curve on US 131 in Grand Rapids has variable speed limit signs. Depending on the weather conditions, the speed limit drops from 55 through the curves.

I wish the Mackinac Bridge Authority would put some variable signs on the bridge instead of relying on their radio station to tell motorists to slow down for fog, high winds, etc. There are VMSs on either end of the bridge that advise motorists to tune into AM 1610 during weather events, but since no one does, people continue across the bridge at 45 mph instead of slowing to 25 mph as the radio station says.

realjd

Quote from: bulldog1979 on May 30, 2014, 12:44:20 AM
The S-Curve on US 131 in Grand Rapids has variable speed limit signs. Depending on the weather conditions, the speed limit drops from 55 through the curves.

I wish the Mackinac Bridge Authority would put some variable signs on the bridge instead of relying on their radio station to tell motorists to slow down for fog, high winds, etc. There are VMSs on either end of the bridge that advise motorists to tune into AM 1610 during weather events, but since no one does, people continue across the bridge at 45 mph instead of slowing to 25 mph as the radio station says.

Why don't they use the VMS  sign to show the new speed? In bad weather conditions the last thing I want to do is fiddle with my radio.

TXtoNJ

Quote from: tradephoric on May 29, 2014, 11:46:42 AM
^WOW.  Any idea what the speed limit runs during school times?  I can't imagine it dropping down too far from 65 mph.

Probably 55, if it's like the rest of the state.

renegade

Quote from: bulldog1979 on May 30, 2014, 12:44:20 AM

There used to be variable speed limits on the Mackinac Bridge.  Depending on conditions, the speed limit was 15, 30 or 45.
Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.