News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

On/Off Ramp Shifting Lane Locations?! Help!

Started by Andrew, May 29, 2014, 02:04:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andrew

Brandon

"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

jeffandnicole

Welcome!

What would you like to know specifically about lane drops on ramps?

Marc_in_CT

Here's one in Shelton, CT at exit 12, from Old Stratford Road to CT Route 8 northbound.  I believe the reasoning behind this one is to allow two left turn lanes, to get more cars through the turn in less time.  CT seems to do this in quite a few locations.

https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ll=41.27436,-73.116206&spn=0.001016,0.001182&t=h&z=20

vdeane

I have a love/hate relationship with this one on my commute: http://goo.gl/maps/fUpEv

On the one hand, it causes there to be two merge points grinding traffic to a halt during rush hour instead of one.  On the other hand, without the extra lane, traffic would likely back up onto Wolf Rd more often than it already does.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Andrew

Thanks for the hasty replys guys, I appreciate it.  Im looking more for lane drops on tight radius cloverleaf type ramps.  The guidance for lane drops on tangent sections is pretty clear and the ones you have sent me are redily available and widely used.

Jeff and Nicole.

Im looking for guidance on any of these tight radius lane drops for on ramps.  Im looking for any latest research or guidance on design.  There are not many of them and I would assume the taper lengths for the drop would and should be longer than a regular tangent lane drop.

Again, thanks.   My search continues!  The google man will hopefully be falling out of the sky a lot today.  :sombrero:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.