News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

ADHS Sept. 2013 Completion Plan Report

Started by Grzrd, June 05, 2014, 09:21:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grzrd

I stumbled upon the Sept. 2013 ADHS Completion Plan Report, in which, pursuant to MAP-21, the respective states identify completion dates for their sections of the different corridors.

I found it interesting that Virginia has identified a completion date of Sept. 2026 for Corridor H; in contrast, Mississippi does not even attempt to identify a completion date for Corridor V due to funding uncertainty.

froggie

This subject got discussed extensively in another thread after it got brought up in a news article back in January.  After a decent search, I could find nothing official within VDOT or CTB documentation to support that 2026 completion date, and there's nothing in either the 6-Year-Plan or VTrans2035 to support it either.

In short, I believe VDOT just put in a "placeholder" date since they had nothing better to put in.  And someone in the West Virginia press misconstrued it and/or what someone at VDOT said about it.

hbelkins

What I find interesting is the assertion that US 119 in Kentucky will be completed in 10 years.

This involves a tunnel under Pine Mountain between the Cumberland and Kentucky river valleys (southwest of Whitesburg). No way they can get the geotech work done and wrap up construction by 2024.

Also, it looks like Pennsylvania is shirking all of its ARC corridors, which means that I-99 will never be completed between the State College area and Williamsport.

Plus, I thought all of US 23 in Ohio was finished, yet part of it shows up in red. Huh?

In addition, what 5 miles of I-26/US 23 in Tennessee aren't complete?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: froggie on June 05, 2014, 10:37:59 PM
This subject got discussed extensively in another thread after it got brought up in a news article back in January.  After a decent search, I could find nothing official within VDOT or CTB documentation to support that 2026 completion date, and there's nothing in either the 6-Year-Plan or VTrans2035 to support it either.

In short, I believe VDOT just put in a "placeholder" date since they had nothing better to put in.  And someone in the West Virginia press misconstrued it and/or what someone at VDOT said about it.

Nothing mentioned in Virginia's 2015 Draft Six Year Plan.  At least not right now.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Duke87

Quote from: hbelkins on June 05, 2014, 11:02:11 PM
Also, it looks like Pennsylvania is shirking all of its ARC corridors, which means that I-99 will never be completed between the State College area and Williamsport.

From a practical standpoint, only the lack of a direct interchange between 80 and 99 causes anything in the way of traffic headaches. 220 between Williamsport and I-80 is fine as it currently exists, there is little to no justification for upgrading other than so it can become I-99.

Pennsylvania also has a lot of deteriorated bridges in need of repair or replacement and is looking to focus resources in their current cycle of transportation spending largely on that.

So, yeah, now that New York has finished their portion, I expect that I-99 will probably sit in its current state of not quite completion for the foreseeable future. Or if PA wants to do something goofy just so the two pieces can connect without having to rebuild 220, they can route 99 down 180 and make the concurrency with 80 longer. Or they can not care because Bud Shuster is long gone from office and leaving freeways unfinished for decades is a great American pastime anyways.

As for the unfinished bit of corridor M, that's even more unnecessary than 220. That portion of US 22 is only two lanes but it's not at all crowded and doesn't carry any long-distance traffic - it makes more sense to take 322 and 99 between Lewistown and Holidaysburg.

If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

hbelkins

Forgot to mention earlier -- you don't go west from I-75 in Tennessee to the North Carolina border, you go east. So the definition of the US 64 corridor from Cleveland to Murphy needs a  :pan:

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.