News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Resolving conflicts between the Interstate and US highway systems

Started by billtm, June 09, 2014, 05:06:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avalanchez71

Quote from: bugo on June 10, 2014, 01:33:58 PM
Quote from: Avalanchez71 on June 10, 2014, 10:00:23 AM
Quote from: bugo on June 10, 2014, 12:39:41 AM
Why I-44?  Why not I-42 or I-46?  I don't like duplicating numbers.
So one day it can connect to Saint Louis.

A road that runs SW-NE changing to SE-NW?  Yeah, that makes a lot of sense.

HB: I hate "multiplex" as well.  It's anal and sounds like a movie theater.

Well I-64 loops around itself doesn't it?

vdeane

Quote from: bugo on June 10, 2014, 01:33:58 PM

Come join us in the multiplex, where we watch all the movies at the same time and assimilate you into the hive mind.

NYSDOT uses the term "overlap".
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

bugo

froggie

I've taken to using "concurrency" more and more in recent months...

bugo

Quote from: froggie on June 10, 2014, 09:54:23 PM
I've taken to using "concurrency" more and more in recent months...

That's not a bad term. 

I sometimes use "duplex" or "triplex" and so on and so forth.

hotdogPi

I use "concurrency" as a noun and "multiplex" as a verb.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

Arkansastravelguy

Quote from: bugo on June 10, 2014, 09:41:18 PM
I like the Arkansas-friendly term "piggyback".
Figures Arkansas would use a 1st grade term.

iPhone

bugo

Arkansastravelguy

Quote from: bugo on June 11, 2014, 01:46:10 AM
Arkansas doesn't use "piggyback".
Arkansas is more "destroy the routing" than the theatre term multiplex

iPhone

bulldog1979

The original definition of "multiplex" is actually very close to describing the phenomenon. In communications, multiplexing is "combining many signals into a single transmission circuit or channel". That's really what a concurrency is doing.

As for the theatre, that's has several consecutive concatenations, first "cinema" and "complex" to form "cineplex" and then "multiple" and "cineplex" to get "multiplex".

Since I have yet to find a DOT that actually uses "multiplex" (or "duplex", "triplex", etc), I've switched to concurrency (noun), overlap (verb), "run(ning) concurrently" (verb/adverb phrase) for in speech and writing.

hbelkins

I've also used the term "share pavement," as in "I-80 and I-90 share pavement across most of Indiana and Ohio.

And I still think I-41 should have been a 3di child route.  :bigass:

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

billtm

I think I-41 from Milwaukee to Green Bay should be I-43W while I-43 from Milwaukee to Green Bay should be I-43E. Leave the rest of I-41 as I-94 and leave I-94 as is in Milwaukee so that I-894 can be decommissioned.

Bitmapped

Quote from: hbelkins on June 10, 2014, 11:35:10 AM
OH 7 and WV 7 almost intersect. OH 7 is the road that parallels the Ohio River from Chesapeake all the way up to near the point where the river crosses into Pennsylvania. WV 7 is an east-west route that runs from the Maryland state line to New Martinsville. It runs concurrently with WV 20 and then crosses a bridge into Ohio. The concurrency is minimally signed on the south side of downtown and not at all through the downtown area. North of downtown, at the entrance to the bridge, there is signage for Ohio 7, with both the word "Ohio" and an OH 7 marker. There is no route marker signage on the Ohio side of the river, so I don't know what hidden number the Ohio portion of the bridge and approaches might carry.

The New Martinsville Bridge is officially WV 7 and Ohio SR 536 but isn't actually signed as either route in the field.  SR 536 heads west from Ohio SR 7 just north of the bridge and has an unsigned multiplex with Ohio SR 7 down to and across the bridge.

WV 20 officially ends at WV 7 east of New Martinsville.  There isn't a multiplex between the two routes.

At its intersection with WV 2, WV 7 is signed as heading north along WV 2 towards New Martinsville but I've never seen any other signage for WV 7 between there and the state line.

hbelkins

Quote from: Bitmapped on June 11, 2014, 07:29:12 PM
WV 20 officially ends at WV 7 east of New Martinsville.  There isn't a multiplex between the two routes.

At its intersection with WV 2, WV 7 is signed as heading north along WV 2 towards New Martinsville but I've never seen any other signage for WV 7 between there and the state line.

WV 20 in my original post was a typo. I meant, of course, WV 2. Like you, I've seen no signage for WV 7 beyond the WV 2 intersection south of downtown, and nothing shows up on Street View.

I'd almost guess that by now the button copy "Ohio OH 7" signs have been replaced.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.