News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Declaration "Declaring" the Interstate Highway System "Complete"

Started by jakeroot, July 01, 2014, 08:07:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jakeroot

I've read on Wikipedia (hmm) that the Interstate Highway System was declared "complete" in 1992. I cannot find any evidence of this. Not necessarily of it being complete in 1992, but any sort of paper, document, news story, really anything stating when it was (in its original form and at least for the most part) complete.

Anybody know where something like this would be located?

jemacedo9

In the early 90's, PA declared in one of it's annual reports that it's interstates complete when the gaps were closed on I-78, I-476, I-676, and I-279. 

And then came...I-99..

froggie

Technically, according to FHWA (look at FAQ #11), it isn't finished yet.  And it won't until PennDOT and PTA finish the interchange at 95/276.

Roadrunner75

Let me guess which group of people resulted in the FAQ for why I-99 is out of sequence, as well as the following "why don't you fix the numbering" question.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: jake on July 01, 2014, 08:07:03 PM
I've read on Wikipedia (hmm) that the Interstate Highway System was declared "complete" in 1992. I cannot find any evidence of this. Not necessarily of it being complete in 1992, but any sort of paper, document, news story, really anything stating when it was (in its original form and at least for the most part) complete.

During the 1990's InterCounty Connector war, at least one anti-ICC activist repeatedly demanded that the governor of Maryland at the time, Parris Glendening, "declare" that the state's highway network was "complete."

The activist was ignored, and after he left office, Glendening was also ignored.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

getemngo

The 1992 date refers to the completion of I-70 through Glenwood Canyon in Colorado on October 14, 1992. From the FHWA: "The project not only connected the final leg of Interstate 70 (I—70), but also it symbolized the completion of the original U.S. interstate highway system."

I imagine that means the last segment of the last 1957 route was completed — except I-69 south of Lansing opened 3 days later, on October 17. And that ignores the I-95 gap in New Jersey, and probably others...
~ Sam from Michigan

PHLBOS

Bold emphasis added:

Quote from: getemngo on July 02, 2014, 12:37:30 PM
The 1992 date refers to the completion of I-70 through Glenwood Canyon in Colorado on October 14, 1992. From the FHWA: "The project not only connected the final leg of Interstate 70 (I—70), but also it symbolized the completion of the original U.S. interstate highway system."

I imagine that means the last segment of the last 1957 route was completed — except I-69 south of Lansing opened 3 days later, on October 17. And that ignores the I-95 gap in New Jersey, and probably others...
The key phrase in the above-quote is indeed original.  The now-under construction I-95/276 interchange was/is not not part of the original Interstate Highway system.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

getemngo

But what makes I-70 in Colorado the cutoff for "original"? Why would something that was planned in 1957 suddenly not count if it was completed after October 14, 1992? As for my I-69 example, I-69 was originally supposed to run from Indianapolis to Flint, so the stretch south of Lansing should count as original, even though it wasn't completed until after Glenwood Canyon.

Getting back to the OP, we still haven't found any official documents stating this was the completion of the original Interstate Highway System, nor any news stories from 1992 - just an FHWA newsletter from 2004 saying it was a "symbolic" completion.
~ Sam from Michigan

1995hoo

Quote from: Roadrunner75 on July 02, 2014, 12:21:39 PM
Let me guess which group of people resulted in the FAQ for why I-99 is out of sequence, as well as the following "why don't you fix the numbering" question.

QuoteI-99 is out of sequence–what can be done about it?

Although State and Federal officials normally select Interstate route numbers, Congress made the choice of "99" for upgraded U.S. 220 in Pennsylvania.  Section 322 of the National Highway System Designation Act of 1995 states that the specified section of U.S. 220 ". . . is designated as Interstate Route I-99."  Therefore, only a statutory revision can change the number.

The truly hypertechnical people might therefore argue the route shields on said highway should bear the "number" "I-99" instead of just "99." (I always assumed the hyphen in "I-xxx" usage denoted "nterstate Highway" or "nterstate Route.")
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

froggie

QuoteThe key phrase in the above-quote is indeed original.  The now-under construction I-95/276 interchange was/is not not part of the original Interstate Highway system.

However, a continuous I-95 *WAS* part of the original system.  And I-95 will not be continuous until the aforementioned interchange is completed.

jakeroot

I imagine that means the last segment of the last 1957 route was completed — except I-69 south of Lansing opened 3 days later, on October 17. And that ignores the I-95 gap in New Jersey, and probably others...

This is what I was looking for. Thank you. That said, please continue the conversation.

Grzrd

Quote from: froggie on July 02, 2014, 02:22:44 PM
QuoteThe key phrase in the above-quote is indeed original.  The now-under construction I-95/276 interchange was/is not not part of the original Interstate Highway system.
However, a continuous I-95 *WAS* part of the original system.  And I-95 will not be continuous until the aforementioned interchange is completed.

From the FHWA Interstate FAQ page:

When did the program end?

It didn't.  The program authorized by the Federal-Aid Highway Act of 1956 includes one last piece of Interstate that is likely to be built under the terms of the 1956 Act.  It is a connection north of Philadelphia to close the last gap in I-95.  The project involves an I-95 interchange with the Pennsylvania Turnpike and an additional bridge over the Delaware River parallel to the existing bridge.  Review of the proposed project under the National Environmental Policy Act of 1969 has been completed and detailed design is underway.
In addition, States continue to develop routes outside the 1956 Act program that may be added to the Interstate System under existing legislation or that have been or will be declared "future Interstates" by Federal legislation.

NJRoadfan

At the pace PA is moving, it might be finished in time for the 100th anniversary of the Interstate System.

PHLBOS

Bold emphasis added:

Quote from: Grzrd on July 02, 2014, 03:37:01 PMFrom the FHWA Interstate FAQ page:

When did the program end?

It didn't.  The program authorized by the Federal-Aid Highway Act of 1956 includes one last piece of Interstate that is likely to be built under the terms of the 1956 Act.  It is a connection north of Philadelphia to close the last gap in I-95.  The project involves an I-95 interchange with the Pennsylvania Turnpike and an additional bridge over the Delaware River parallel to the existing bridge.  Review of the proposed project under the National Environmental Policy Act of 1969 has been completed and detailed design is underway.
In addition, States continue to develop routes outside the 1956 Act program that may be added to the Interstate System under existing legislation or that have been or will be declared "future Interstates" by Federal legislation.
I find it rather interesting that one FHWA source would contradict another FHWA source like that.  Somebody obviously didn't run the first source through a fact-check or by original, the first source was referring to the actual highway segments that were ultimately built... gap or no gap in route numbering. 

Despite the I-95 gap in NJ, all of the original 50-51 miles of I-95 in neighboring PA were indeed completed by the mid-1980s and the fore-mentioned Turnpike interchange and NJ Turnpike widening is a de-facto substitute for the absence of I-95 in Somerset County NJ.

Quote from: NJRoadfan on July 02, 2014, 03:47:09 PM
At the pace PA is moving, it might be finished in time for the 100th anniversary of the Interstate System.
Such could be PA's revenge towards NJ for sticking it to them for not building their original I-95 (somerset Freeway).  :)
GPS does NOT equal GOD

froggie

Quote from: PHLBOS on July 02, 2014, 04:05:51 PMDespite the I-95 gap in NJ, all of the original 50-51 miles of I-95 in neighboring PA were indeed completed by the mid-1980s and the fore-mentioned Turnpike interchange and NJ Turnpike widening is a de-facto substitute for the absence of I-95 in Somerset County NJ.

As I recall, early 1980s Congressional legislation is what dictated the final routing of I-95.  So it's not exactly "de facto".

bulldog1979

Quote from: getemngo on July 02, 2014, 01:56:20 PM
But what makes I-70 in Colorado the cutoff for "original"? Why would something that was planned in 1957 suddenly not count if it was completed after October 14, 1992? As for my I-69 example, I-69 was originally supposed to run from Indianapolis to Flint, so the stretch south of Lansing should count as original, even though it wasn't completed until after Glenwood Canyon.

In 1957, there was no I-69 in Michigan; we still had the South Bend-to-Kalamazoo line on the map, and the next year, I-69 ended at Marshall. The extension to Flint came in 1968, with the rest to I-94 in Port Huron coming later. From Interstate 69 in Michigan:
By June 1958, this freeway had been shifted further east and renumbered I-69, connecting Indianapolis, Indiana, with Marshall; no connections north and east to Lansing, Flint or Port Huron were planned as part of the Interstate Highway System.

The MSHD requested additional Interstate Highway mileage in 1968 under the Federal-Aid Highway Act of 1968 including an extension of I-69 from Marshall to Port Huron; this extension was approved as far as I-75/US 23 in Flint on December 13, 1968.

On September 4, [1973], I-69's designation was officially extended by Congress to end at I-475 on the east side of Flint; this extension, and all subsequent ones, was of non-chargeable mileage, or segments not financed through the Interstate Highway fund.

The I-69 designation was officially extended once more under Congressional legislation on February 10, 1987; this last extension designated I-69 all the way to I-94 in Port Huron to reflect the 1984 openings.

Jardine

It's hell to get old, but I would have sworn there was a similar whoop ti doo when the Wallace, Idaho segment was finished.

:pan:

PHLBOS

Quote from: froggie on July 02, 2014, 09:25:01 PMAs I recall, early 1980s Congressional legislation is what dictated the final routing of I-95.  So it's not exactly "de facto".
Let's be clear, by de-facto, I mean alternate routing(s) that utilize existing highways for the process.  Had there already been an interchange between the PA Turnpike & I-95 present during the early 80s (even a simple dual-trumpet type w/a toll plaza); the redesignations would've long since have taken place once the new routing was approved.

Similar legislation likely (read not gospel) played a role in routing I-95 along the eastern half of the Capital Beltway in the DC area as well as routing it along most of MA 128 in the Greater Boston area during the 70s.  Even if such was proposed on a state (or states) level; it still required Federal approval due to the 90-10 Federal-State funding arrangement an Interstate required back then.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

froggie

QuoteSimilar legislation likely played a role in routing I-95 along the eastern half of the Capital Beltway in the DC area as well as routing it along most of MA 128 in the Greater Boston area during the 70s.

I can't speak for the Boston area, but "similar legislation" was NOT necessary for rerouting I-95 along the Capital Beltway.  The reason legislation was necessary for 95/276 was because of 276's toll road status.

TEG24601

I was always told that the system was completed when they bypass of Wallace, ID was completed, and the last stop light on the system was removed.
They said take a left at the fork in the road.  I didn't think they literally meant a fork, until plain as day, there was a fork sticking out of the road at a junction.

pianocello

Quote from: TEG24601 on July 05, 2014, 10:37:20 AM
I was always told that the system was completed when they bypass of Wallace, ID was completed, and the last stop light on the system was removed.

Breezewood says hi. So does Jersey City, Cheyenne, and sometimes Syracuse.
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

TEG24601

Quote from: pianocello on July 05, 2014, 11:35:14 AM

Except those were all planned.  Wallace was because of their blocking of I-90, until the entire city was bypassed with a viaduct.
They said take a left at the fork in the road.  I didn't think they literally meant a fork, until plain as day, there was a fork sticking out of the road at a junction.

Kacie Jane

Quote from: TEG24601 on July 05, 2014, 03:02:58 PM
Quote from: pianocello on July 05, 2014, 11:35:14 AM

Except those were all planned.  Wallace was because of their blocking of I-90, until the entire city was bypassed with a viaduct.

With the exception of I-180 in Wyoming, I don't think that's accurate.  I'm pretty sure the intention was always to have an actual interchange at Breezewood, but Breezewood won't let them build it.  Likewise, i'm sure they would have liked to have an actual freeway approach to the Holland Tunnel, but it's not worth the trouble to actually build it.

Mapmikey

Quote from: froggie on July 05, 2014, 12:01:24 AM
QuoteSimilar legislation likely played a role in routing I-95 along the eastern half of the Capital Beltway in the DC area as well as routing it along most of MA 128 in the Greater Boston area during the 70s.

I can't speak for the Boston area, but "similar legislation" was NOT necessary for rerouting I-95 along the Capital Beltway.  The reason legislation was necessary for 95/276 was because of 276's toll road status.

I-95 rerouting in DC was definitely not due to legislation.  It was the result of a meeting among DC, VA, MD , and Fed Hwy Admin in Oct 1975 where it was decided to reroute 95 onto the Beltway.  Applications from all entities were submitted to AASHTO in Nov 1975.

See page 32 of http://www.ctb.virginia.gov/meetings/minutes_pdf/CTB-10-1975-01.pdf

Mapmikey

PHLBOS

Quote from: froggie on July 05, 2014, 12:01:24 AMThe reason legislation was necessary for 95/276 was because of 276's toll road status.
Fair enough, but my earlier point regarding the I-95 re-routes in NJ/PA, MA & DC/MD/VA not involving/requiring construction of a highway corridor being the de-facto route still stands.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.