News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

America's Highways 1776-1976 book

Started by bugo, July 11, 2014, 02:04:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bugo

Does anybody else have a copy of this book?  About fifteen years ago, the government wanted to get rid of a stash of these books so they were giving them away for free.  I ordered a copy.  Looking back, I should have had a couple more copies sent, one to my mom's house, one to my dad's house, etc.  They are going new for $50 on Amazon.  The book is quite interesting and is a must have for any road enthusiast.  There are lots of pictures of old signs and roads, and renderings for the proposed Interstate shields that were created before the shield we have today was approved.

http://www.amazon.com/Americas-Highways-1776-1976-History-Federal-Aid/dp/B000E48LK8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1405058526&sr=8-1&keywords=america%27s+highways+1976

Pete from Boston

I have it.  The FHWA or whoever finally just started giving them away.

roadman

I read the book years ago (found a copy in my local library), but never realized FHWA was giving them away for free.  Might just pick up a copy from Amazon.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

rschen7754

Pete from Boston

Quote from: roadman on July 11, 2014, 01:58:39 PM
I read the book years ago (found a copy in my local library), but never realized FHWA was giving them away for free.  Might just pick up a copy from Amazon.

Someone posted the copy of an ad for the free books from Public Roads to misc.transport.road in December 2002.  I can't seem to create a link that works, but you can search Google Groups for the title "Free U.S. Highway History Book from FHWA."  You never know – maybe they still have some.

roadman

"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.