News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Road-related pet peeves

Started by TravelingBethelite, September 01, 2015, 02:21:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

silverback1065

OracleUsr

Anti-center-tabbing, anti-sequential-numbering, anti-Clearview BGS FAN

silverback1065

2 more for me:

1- reused street names, almost always happens when the streets are named after letters, one example that really annoys me is Richmond, IN their street grid is a complete clusterfuck, the letters and numbered streets reset at least 3 times depending on where you are in the city

2- Indiana loves to do this, when a state route is rerouted or decommissioned, they simply remove the shield, leaving a confusing and ugly sign.  This signage gantry is bullshit: https://www.google.com/maps/@40.4237786,-86.9032603,3a,75y,28.8h,83.93t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sfYFCicfEKB6PJfUAXOYupg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1

either add the surface street names to new, smaller signs, or take this bs down.  If you weren't careful, you'd think you actually are in Brookston, which is miles away.  Examples of this is everywhere in Indiana. Heck, leave the SR 43 shield there and slap a "TO" in front of it.

roadman65

Not in South Bend as the business routes still are signed in many places despite it being formally decommissioned.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Zeffy

Quote from: noelbotevera on September 17, 2015, 07:30:55 PM
People who say GPS/phone apps are better than paper maps (they're not).

In the same vein, people who ignore road signs while following a GPS/phone app map and end up where they shouldn't be (I.E. hitting a bridge that clearly says "LOW CLEARANCE".

Another one I hate is people who don't use turn signals. I mean come on, all it takes is half of a second to flick your wrist!
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

SignGeek101

Quote from: Zeffy on September 17, 2015, 09:13:37 PM
Another one I hate is people who don't use turn signals. I mean come on, all it takes is half of a second to flick your wrist!

I think some people just forget. I know my dad does when he drives sometimes. It seems like something automatic though, almost like closing a car door after leaving the car (although I have forgotten to do that myself).

Bruce

Elevated freeways in urban areas
Overpasses with chainlink fences
Streets with only one side with sidewalks
Streets without adequate number of crosswalks
Incomplete bike lanes

Pete from Boston

Right- or left-turn-only lanes posted well beyond a typical traffic backup point, stranding drivers in the wrong lane before they know it's the wrong lane.

Quote from: SignGeek101 on September 17, 2015, 09:16:58 PM
Quote from: Zeffy on September 17, 2015, 09:13:37 PM

I think some people just forget. I know my dad does when he drives sometimes. It seems like something automatic though, almost like closing a car door after leaving the car (although I have forgotten to do that myself).

Someone I'm not supposed to criticize tells me she has been driving long enough to "know when it is and isn't necessary" to signal when changing lanes.  Drives me nuts.

Sam

Quote from: Pete from Boston on September 17, 2015, 05:39:37 AM
The lack of the most basic of proofreading that allows sign legends like "Emergency Stopping Olny" to be hung ever make it into production, much less make it out of the shop.

You mean like this gem from the NY State Thruway?

( I guess the Frog wants to make it blurry. It says "LIMIT SPEED 55" )

CtrlAltDel

People who don't drive within the lines on loop ramps.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

1995hoo

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on September 21, 2015, 05:39:18 PM

Loop ramps that are striped to make the turn far wider than it needs to be.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

pumpkineater2

Quote from: 1995hoo on September 21, 2015, 10:24:32 PM

I get seriously bugged when any solid line is crossed.
Come ride with me to the distant shore...

1995hoo

Quote from: pumpkineater2 on September 21, 2015, 11:48:27 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on September 21, 2015, 10:24:32 PM

I get seriously bugged when any solid line is crossed.

I don't get too bugged about it because, at least in Virginia anyway, it's not illegal to cross a single solid white line–it's just "discouraged." On Saturday I was stuck behind a slowpoke who was doing 25 in a 45 zone, and when we pulled up to a red light the guy in the lane to our left, who was equally slow, stopped three carlengths back of the stop bar (he was the first one on line in that lane), so damn right I cut over the solid line into that lane to get myself first on line to get away from the idiots.

Setting that aside, I can think of a number of highway ramps around here, not all of them loop ramps, where the lane striping wants you to take such a wide turn that just about everyone ignores the striping and makes a tighter turn. Doesn't bother me.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Thing 342

Construction speed limits that extend well past the extent of the job site. Examples include the 35mph limit on US-17 between VA-134 and VA-173 (about 3 miles) despite work only happening on the stretch between VA-134 and SR-620 (about 3/4 of a mile), and the 60 mph limit along I-85 south of Greensboro that extended well past what was essentially shoulder work. Putting orange barrels along the side of the road does not count as 'work' in my book.

Nexus 7

silverback1065

cloverleaf interchanges in urban areas. almost always a traffic hazard.

jp the roadgeek

BGS's where a city in another state's 2 letter abbreviation is a capital letter and a small letter.  RIDOT puts Hartford, Ct. for signs getting off I-295 on to US 6 West. Is there a street named Hartford Court in Johnston?  Should be "CT"
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Pete from Boston

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on September 22, 2015, 12:05:54 PM
BGS's where a city in another state's 2 letter abbreviation is a capital letter and a small letter.  RIDOT puts Hartford, Ct. for signs getting off I-295 on to US 6 West. Is there a street named Hartford Court in Johnston?  Should be "CT"

Does the MUTCD say this?  As has been beaten to death here, postal abbreviations (two capital letters) are not used for all cases of state-name abbreviation.

empirestate

Quote from: Pete from Boston on September 22, 2015, 12:09:03 PM

Does the MUTCD say this?  As has been beaten to death here, postal abbreviations (two capital letters) are not used for all cases of state-name abbreviation.

Similar to how airport codes are not always appropriate abbreviations for cities in general.

Rothman

I don't mind it when other people cross solid lines, but I do feel superior when I stay within them. :>
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

roadman

From Section 2E.17 of the MUTCD:

QuoteIf used, abbreviations should be unmistakably recognized by road users (see Section 1A.15).

My interpertation of this is that state abbreviations on BGSes should always be capitalized.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

vtk

Quote from: roadman on September 23, 2015, 11:45:52 AM

From Section 2E.17 of the MUTCD:

QuoteIf used, abbreviations should be unmistakably recognized by road users (see Section 1A.15).

My interpertation of this is that state abbreviations on BGSes should always be capitalized.

My interpretation is that 2-leter USPS state abbreviations should always have both letters capitalized, but other well-known abbreviations (such as Conn, Neb, Mass, W Va, Penna) are also acceptable.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

Kacie Jane

Vtk, I think you're 100% right.  But I think there's still am issue where there's kind of an overlap between postal abbreviations and "other well-known abbreviations". Before standard postal abbreviations were a thing, Virginia was always Va. and I think people tended to user either Conn. and Ct.

Still, it shouldn't make that much of a difference.... except in the case of Ct where it could mean either Connecticut or Court... but if you're in Rhode Island and can't figure out that the sign for US 6 means the capital of the neighboring state instead of a small side street, you can't help stupid.

Thunderbyrd316

Quote from: Bruce on September 17, 2015, 09:59:04 PM
Incomplete bike lanes

I for one happen to love elevated urban freeways. I also like the "curved" chain link fences that California uses on a lot of it's overcrossings.

And most arterial streets should NOT have bike lanes, especially streets that are state highways. 

Bruce

Quote from: Thunderbyrd316 on September 23, 2015, 04:28:14 PM
Quote from: Bruce on September 17, 2015, 09:59:04 PM
Incomplete bike lanes

I for one happen to love elevated urban freeways. I also like the "curved" chain link fences that California uses on a lot of it's overcrossings.

And most arterial streets should NOT have bike lanes, especially streets that are state highways. 

All a matter of opinion.

I dislike elevated freeways because they create huge visual barriers between the two sides that aren't as easy to mend as a sunken freeway (a capped lid with a park can do wonders).

Chainlink fences on overpasses get in the way of my freeway photography, so it's a petty reason to not like them.

Some arterials streets are entirely appropriate corridors for separated bike lanes, state highway or not. Around here the definition is quite gray (the West Seattle Freeway is not a state highway, but SR 513 still is...there's reasons but they don't make sense anymore) and it is the duty of a DOT to adopt all forms of transportation (and that includes cycling...and transit). Arterials that are in areas with high enough pedestrian traffic should definitely have bike lanes, as the alternatives (riding on the sidewalk...or riding in traffic) aren't very good ways of attracting new cyclists.

D-Dey65

Quote from: noelbotevera on September 17, 2015, 07:30:55 PM
People who say GPS/phone apps are better than paper maps (they're not).
They both have their flaws. The latest Rand McNally oversized road atlas still has I-74 listed as Exit 14 on I-95.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.