News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Exit 0

Started by Duke87, July 25, 2009, 09:38:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duke87

[This thread has been split from the Southern GSP observations thread in the Northeast section of the the forum and then moved here. -S.]

Quote from: Chris on July 25, 2009, 04:11:49 AM
How often does an Exit 0 happens? I remember a few, like Exit 0 on I-10 in Texas and Exit 0 near Sioux Falls on I-229.

Add I-69 in Indiana to that list.

Theoretically, it should happen whenever an exit is less than half a mile from the beginning of the route. In practice, many DOTs instead opt to fudge it and call it exit 1 in such cases. California, for instance, by policy always does that.
Why? "Driver expectation". There being an exit 0 confuses some people, somehow. I don't get where it's confusing, but there you have it.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

agentsteel53

there is even an Exit 00 somewhere (Texas?  I forget) where apparently there were exits 0 and 1 and they wanted to fit one inbetween but didn't want to call it 0A.  Or something like that.  Maybe it was even before 0, and they didn't want exit -1.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

mefailenglish

I-164 in Evansville, IN has a posted Exit 0.

City

Instead of numbering the last exit "0", they shouldn't even be numbered at all. Maybe many DOTs would oppose it, but it would be less confusing than an exit 0.

rawmustard

Quote from: City on July 27, 2009, 06:49:58 PM
Instead of numbering the last exit "0", they shouldn't even be numbered at all. Maybe many DOTs would oppose it, but it would be less confusing than an exit 0.

Now why would it be confusing? An interchange at the very start of a route is at the 0 milemarker, and so its number should correctly be 0. One thing that always annoys me about MDOT and I-194 was that the exit at the very start for I-94 was numbered 1. Then you had the exit for Columbia Avenue which is two miles away, but the exit number only increments by one, since the latter exit is numbered correctly based on its milepost. Since the idea of mileage-based exits is to give drivers a way to estimate mileage between interchanges, having Exit 1 where it should be Exit 0 mucks up that process. Perhaps MDOT might consider that when those signs are up for replacement, but I wouldn't hold my breath. MDOT pretty much skirted the issue with M-6, as neither of its termini interchanges are numbered, but at least the first interchange at 8th Avenue is Exit 1, since it's closer to one mile than two from I-196.

Now with sequential exits, it would be wrong for there to be an Exit 0, since you don't count a 0th item when counting sequentially.

vdeane

I'm of the opinion that termini interchanges shouldn't be numbered, though that may be influenced by the fact that NY doesn't do it.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Scott5114

Quote from: agentsteel53 on July 26, 2009, 02:03:03 AM
there is even an Exit 00 somewhere (Texas?  I forget) where apparently there were exits 0 and 1 and they wanted to fit one inbetween but didn't want to call it 0A.  Or something like that.  Maybe it was even before 0, and they didn't want exit -1.

The only 00 I remember seeing was in Puerto Rico.

Oklahoma doesn't use Exit 0, they fudge it by letting Mile 1 for exit numbering last from MP 0.00 to 1.99. Check out this example from I-240 in OKC:

No.Mi.Name
1A0.0I-44 west — Lawton
1B0.5May Ave.
1C1.5Penn Ave.
2A2.4Western Ave.

Quote from: rawmustardNow with sequential exits, it would be wrong for there to be an Exit 0, since you don't count a 0th item when counting sequentially.

In computer programming, array indexes generally start with 0. Therefore many programmers will start numbered lists with 0. If you ever see anyone do this, chances are they're a programmer.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

SSOWorld

Quote from: rawmustard on July 28, 2009, 01:02:35 AM
Now with sequential exits, it would be wrong for there to be an Exit 0, since you don't count a 0th item when counting sequentially.
Unless you were a computer scientist :P
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Hellfighter

It would be more correct if they put like "Exit .2"!  :-D

Bryant5493

I-10 at the southern end of I-65 is numbered exit "0," for the "control cities" of Mississippi and Florida.

Be well,

Bryant
Check out my YouTube page (http://youtube.com/Bryant5493). I have numerous road videos of Metro Atlanta and other areas in the Southeast.

I just signed up on photobucket -- here's my page (http://s594.photobucket.com/albums/tt24/Bryant5493).

PAHighways

The southern terminus of PA Turnpike 66 is marked with 0s:

EXIT 0A - I-70/I-76/PA TPK
EXIT 0B - US 119 NORTH

SP Cook

On I-70 in WV, Wheeling Island is exit zero, and is followed eastbound by exit 1 and exit 2, so they could not "fudge" and just call it exit one.

As the name implies, Wheeling Island is an island in the middle of the Ohio River, in WV jurisdiction (the Ohio belongs to WV and KY to the opposite shore, unlike most rivers which are split down the middle). 

SSOWorld

The Indiana Toll road interchange with US 12/20/41 where it becomes the Chicago Skyway is Exit 0.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Mr_Northside

QuoteThe southern terminus of PA Turnpike 66 is marked with 0s:

EXIT 0A - I-70/I-76/PA TPK
EXIT 0B - US 119 NORTH

Wasn't there a period of time that the Arona Rd. exit was #0.  (Sometime right after the switch to mileage based, but before the US-119 cloverleaf became exit 0)??
Or is my mind just playing tricks on me.
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

PAHighways

Quote from: Mr_Northside on September 21, 2009, 11:53:46 AMWasn't there a period of time that the Arona Rd. exit was #0.  (Sometime right after the switch to mileage based, but before the US-119 cloverleaf became exit 0)??
Or is my mind just playing tricks on me.

I only remember it as 2 before the conversion.

myosh_tino

Quote from: Scott5114 on September 20, 2009, 05:41:09 PMOklahoma doesn't use Exit 0, they fudge it by letting Mile 1 for exit numbering last from MP 0.00 to 1.99. Check out this example from I-240 in OKC:

No.Mi.Name
1A0.0I-44 west — Lawton
1B0.5May Ave.
1C1.5Penn Ave.
2A2.4Western Ave.
AFAIK, There will be no "Exit 0" in California.  They fudge Mile 1 similar to what Oklahoma does in the quoted section above but it's a little different...

Mile 1 zone = 0.00 to 1.49
Mile 2 zone = 1.50 to 2.49
Mile 3 zone = 2.50 to 3.49
and so on.

For example...

Exit #MileageName
1A0.50 miColeman Avenue
1B1.25 miNorth 1st Street
2A1.75 miU.S. 101 Southbound
2B2.00 miU.S. 101 Northbound
33.25 miBrokaw Road
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

vdeane

That would still be in the exit 1 range even if CA used exit 0.

Most exit 0 issues could probably be eliminated if termini were not numbered.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

mightyace

Quote from: deanej on September 24, 2009, 08:43:31 PM
That would still be in the exit 1 range even if CA used exit 0.

Most exit 0 issues could probably be eliminated if termini were not numbered.

In the sequential numbering days, PA's interstate to interstate junctions did not have exit numbers with the exceptions of the PA Turnpike and of I-180 & I-80, but that is because I-180 West used to be PA 147 North.

Even though I like sequential numbering, I always thought that was odd.  :pan:

Not surprisingly, they got exit #s with the move to mileage based exits, one of the few things that I like about the change.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

agentsteel53

Vermont, if I recall correctly, does the same thing.  The I-93 exit on I-91 does not have a number.  Exit 21 is to the north of it, and exit 20 to the south.  I remember once missing my exit thinking "oh, it's two exits away, I will look out for exit 19".  Nope!  :banghead:

jake@aaroads.com

froggie

I-93 doesn't have an exit number there, but I-91 does.  Exit 19.

Of the six cases of Interstate route junctions in Vermont (3 junctions with 2 routes each), the three that do not have exit numbers are the above-mentioned I-93, I-189 at its I-89 terminus, and I-89 where it crosses I-91 (exit number on I-91 there is 10N/S).

Mike_OH

On I-75 in Cincinnati, there exits 1A, 1B, 1C, 1D, 1E, 1F, and 1G within the first mile.  Plus, Exit 2A comes at the 1.5 mile marker.

Darkchylde

I-110 in Louisiana has too many Exits 1 - from south to north - 1I-J (Terminus), 1A, 1B, 1C, 1H, 1D, 1G, 1E and 1F (yes, in that order.)

Only Exit 0 I've ever seen was the one on I-40 in Texas. And even then they're hit or miss - I-45 doesn't have any Exits 0, but has at least one exit that'd probably qualify.

deathtopumpkins

Quote from: Darkangel on October 08, 2009, 07:23:52 AM
I-110 in Louisiana has too many Exits 1 - from south to north - 1I-J (Terminus), 1A, 1B, 1C, 1H, 1D, 1G, 1E and 1F (yes, in that order.)

I-70 in Kansas City has an exit 2A-Z I believe...
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

agentsteel53

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on October 08, 2009, 10:13:02 PM

except for O and I, yes.  But the exits are not all on I-70.  They are all on this monster loop road that is 70 for part of the route, but not all. 

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=kansas+city+MO&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=47.215051,70.664062&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Kansas+City,+Jackson,+Missouri&ll=39.102391,-94.582844&spn=0.022746,0.050855&z=15

incidentally, 70 westbound is damn near impossible to follow for the first-time traveler.  I wonder why they didn't just route 70 on the route that is now 670 - it's not only shorter, but straighter as well.

jake@aaroads.com

Greybear

Quote from: agentsteel53 on October 08, 2009, 10:16:43 PM
Quote from: deathtopumpkins on October 08, 2009, 10:13:02 PM

except for O and I, yes. 

Z isn't used either.

There is an Exit 0 on I-10 at the Texas/New Mexico line.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.