News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Exit 0

Started by Duke87, July 25, 2009, 09:38:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NE2

Quote from: cjk374 on March 02, 2014, 01:26:21 AM
On I-55 coming into Mississippi from Louisiana, the Osyka/Gillsburg exit should qualify to be exit 0...it's only about a 1/2 mile into MS.
Nope. The Goog says 0.6 mi to the exit ramp, 0.8 mi to the overpass.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

DevalDragon

Actually, Eastbound 80 should be / used to be Gary Indiana. A few interchanges still have the old signs using Gary.

Quote from: amroad17
Notice that Illinois is using states for control cities instead of Toledo (eastbound) and Des Moines (westbound), which was used at the I-57 interchange until the sign replacement project in the area around 2005 or 2006.  I liked it better with the cities on the signs.

Brandon

Quote from: DevalDragon on April 11, 2014, 01:27:02 AM
Actually, Eastbound 80 should be / used to be Gary Indiana. A few interchanges still have the old signs using Gary.

Quote from: amroad17
Notice that Illinois is using states for control cities instead of Toledo (eastbound) and Des Moines (westbound), which was used at the I-57 interchange until the sign replacement project in the area around 2005 or 2006.  I liked it better with the cities on the signs.

East I-80 was "Gary Indiana" as a secondary control from Joliet eastward.  West of there, it's "Joliet" and "Moline - Rock Island" (has been, still is).  "Toledo" used to be very common for eastbound I-80 as a primary control from I-55 east.  Now, both the primary and secondary control seem to have merged into "Indiana".
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Gnutella

I took this picture on I-65 in Indiana, just across the Ohio River from Louisville:

I also know that I-72 in Illinois used to have Exits 0A-B at I-55, but now they're Exits 103A-B since I-72 was extended west into Missouri.

Legodinodoctor

Quote from: Jardine on December 17, 2013, 09:21:08 AM
As DandyDan noticed, Interstate 480 in Council Bluffs Iowa has an exit 0 for 'Riverfront'.  I-480 in Iowa is also really short.

Possibly one of the shortest Interstates in any state, I-480 terminates immediately after exit 0 (not a full interchange, just a westbound on ramp and an east bound exit) at it's junction with I-29
3 Things: 1. Interstate 480 ends at the Big Guide Sign (BGS for short) for Exit 1A&B:Interstate 29. (Or about 1/4 mile into Iowa from Nebraska state line)  2. I don't see an Exit 0 on Interstate 480 in Iowa. 3. That's shorter than Interstate 395 in Miami, where it ends about 1/8 of a mile from Exit 2/US 1/Biscayne Blvd.   :pan:
Edited to remove excess smileys and for grammar. Please learn capitalization. Do not use excessive smileys - one is plenty. Thank you! ~S
Propile pic for everything  (except this): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:I-595.svg

VCB02FromRoblox

Legodinodoctor

I'm just glad my home state (Florida) Doesn't use Exit 0 :pan:
Propile pic for everything  (except this): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:I-595.svg

PurdueBill

Quote from: Legodinodoctor on June 07, 2014, 06:04:21 PM
Quote from: Jardine on December 17, 2013, 09:21:08 AM
As DandyDan noticed, Interstate 480 in Council Bluffs Iowa has an exit 0 for 'Riverfront'.  I-480 in Iowa is also really short.

Possibly one of the shortest Interstates in any state, I-480 terminates immediately after exit 0 (not a full interchange, just a westbound on ramp and an east bound exit) at it's junction with I-29
3 Things: 1. Interstate 480 ends at the Big Guide Sign (BGS for short) for Exit 1A&B:Interstate 29. (Or about 1/4 mile into Iowa from Nebraska state line)  2. I don't see an Exit 0 on Interstate 480 in Iowa. 3. That's shorter than Interstate 395 in Miami, where it ends about 1/8 of a mile from Exit 2/US 1/Biscayne Blvd.   :pan:
Edited to remove excess smileys and for grammar. Please learn capitalization. Do not use excessive smileys - one is plenty. Thank you! ~S

According to Iowa DOT, I-480 is 0.721 miles long in Iowa--the route doesn't officially end where the "480 ends" sign is.  That is often the case, as the signage has to go in an appropriate location for motorists but the actual end may be in a specific spot based on a lot of factors.

All this time I thought BGS was big green sign.  Was I alone?

Doesn't I-395 go about 1.2 miles? I thought FDOT's SLD showed that length.

Quote from: Legodinodoctor on July 05, 2014, 10:14:39 AM

I wish Ohio did, but am pleased that Indiana uses Exit 0 liberally.

Brandon

And just what is wrong with an Exit 0?  All it means is that the exit is between mp 0 and mp 1.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

1995hoo

Quote from: Brandon on July 05, 2014, 10:09:50 PM

And just what is wrong with an Exit 0?  All it means is that the exit is between mp 0 and mp 1.

Yup. I would kind of like to live near an Exit 0–it'd be distinctive when giving directions, much more noticeable than Exit 173 is!
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

cjk374

Quote from: PurdueBill on July 05, 2014, 10:07:51 PM
All this time I thought BGS was big green sign.  Was I alone?

No you're not.  I thought it big green sign also.  I have used "BBS" to mean big blue sign.  Was I wrong for that also?
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

jeffandnicole

I'm pretty sure we, the roadgeek community, use BGS for Big Green Sign.

1995hoo

"Big Guide Sign" could be a useful interpretation if you wanted to use the term generically to refer to all road signs of that sort, given that Europe and Ontario have a decent number of blue signs. But I always thought the "G" stood for "Green."
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Scott5114

Traditionally the G has always stood for green. I suspect someone simply doesn't know what the Food he's talking about.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Legodinodoctor

I think the "Food" Virus has spread, Crappy Karma :ded: :pan:

cl94

While most termini in New York are not given an exit number, there are a couple spots that would be nicely served by an Exit 0. Take I-781, for example. The western terminus is Exit 1A/B for Interstate 81 S/N. While most of New York uses sequential numbering, I-781 is mile based and the zero point falls within the interchange. You could say the same about the western terminus of I-890, also mile based. On the sequential highways, I-690 Exit 1 is at the western terminus and as such, should probably go unnumbered or as Exit 0. Even with sequential numbering, it makes no sense for the low-end terminus to get a number other than 0.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.