News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Cane-shaped things

Started by bandit957, December 17, 2018, 08:29:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandit957

Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Sometimes you see these little cane-shaped things along roads. I remember a couple of them around my area.

Here's what I mean...

https://goo.gl/maps/nK23BpmhFqA2
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

ErmineNotyours

english si

Certainly some form of ventilation of something underground. The cane bit is to stop water getting in.

PHLBOS

Quote from: ErmineNotyours on December 17, 2018, 10:11:03 PMNatural gas vents?
Vents, yes; natural gas, not always.  Such are used for other utility systems (examples: septic and/or sanitary sewer) as well.
Quote from: english si on December 18, 2018, 04:38:10 AM
Certainly some form of ventilation of something underground. The cane bit is to stop water getting in.
Correct.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Michael

They're casing vents, although I have no idea why the casing needs to be vented.
http://mncaer.com/pipeline_location/

rarnold

Cased pipes are vented to prevent a build-up of flammable materials in the pipe, to provide a warning of a leak, and the ability to sample the air in the casing pipe. Most pipes are not cased except where the pipe goes under a roadway or close to the surface.

Tonytone

Quote from: bandit957 on December 17, 2018, 08:29:13 PM
Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Sometimes you see these little cane-shaped things along roads. I remember a couple of them around my area.

Here's what I mean...

https://goo.gl/maps/nK23BpmhFqA2
They need to redo that road

But to be on topic. I've seen those for years, It has a warning label about it being a "Gas"  pipe, and i always see them by streets & neighborhoods. When I lived in Florida, they were everywhere.

iPhone
Promoting Cities since 1998!

Brandon

I've seen a few of these around sewer lift stations, presumably to stop a build-up of sewer gas (methane).
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Scott5114

Around here, they have a sharp angle at the top, rather than a rounded curve like that.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

US 89

Those are a pretty common sight, but I'm almost positive I've seen one that was actually shooting water out. Never saw that again.

index

I used to play on those things as a little kid. They also have a sharp end at the top around here, and you can find plenty of them in the woods behind my development. They do not smell very good, which is a given.
I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.