News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Long distance bypasses

Started by TheStranger, December 26, 2018, 06:13:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kphoger

Quote from: ilpt4u on December 29, 2018, 12:12:21 AM
Living in Southern IL now, even if I were driving to Milwaukee or Green Bay, depending on the time of day I'm hitting Northern IL, I would seriously consider I-57->I-74->I-39->I-43 vs I-57->I-94 or I-57->I-294->I-94. To Madison or the Dells, no question I'm going up I-74/I-39, unless I just want to take US 51 right up the middle of the state from Southern IL until it combines with I-39 in Bloomington/Normal (its a fun drive, and it breaks up the endless Illinois flat Interstate miles of I-57)

Any further NW, tho, like Twin Cities and beyond, I am going to use the Avenue of the Saints

When I lived in southern Illinois, I found it to be a decently pleasant drive to get off at Salem and take US-51 north from Sandoval–and that was for trips to/from the Twin Cities.  Google Maps suggests it's just a couple of minutes faster than taking Ave of the Saints from where I lived, but nowadays I would seriously consider taking that route (it was still being finished up back then).  Depending on what town you live in, it might even be the hands-down best route.

But, taking Ave of the Saints, you still need to figure out Saint Louis.

My preferred Saint Louis bypasses:

Chicago to KC  –  I-72 from Springfield > US-54 to Kingdom City  –  shaves off 28 miles

Chicago to Joplin  –  I-72 from Springfield > US-54 to Macks Creek > MO-73 to Buffalo > US-65 to Springfield  –  adds 14 miles

Carbondale to Joplin  –  Go south instead of north, using US-60 to Springfield (MO)  –  shaves 10 miles off the IL-127 route through Nashville, avoids the lettered routes of any decent alternative through Missouri
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

sprjus4

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on December 26, 2018, 08:13:25 PM
Quote from: Beltway on December 26, 2018, 07:55:20 PM
I-81 provides a super-bypass of the Northeast, I-95 and I-85, with 'spur connectors' to the major cities/regions, segments of I-90 (Boston), I-88 (Albany), I-84 (Hartford), I-80 (NYC), I-78 (NYC), I-76 (Philadelphia), I-70 (Baltimore), I-66 (D.C.) and I-64 (Richmond and Norfolk).
Though with the truck traffic, how much time are you actually saving?
I rode a good portion of I-81 this past weekend, and a lot of trucks & out of state motorists heading home from the holidays, and even with all the traffic combined, it always stayed above 70 MPH. I-95 on the other hand can be a nightmare (even the rural areas), and passes through Baltimore and Washington D.C. without any good bypasses. Once you hit New Jersey though, that really ends when you hop on the turnpike and it's smooth sailing from there bypassing Wilmington, Philadelphia, and other urban areas. Until some massive DC & Baltimore bypass (which will never happen) is built, I-81 is a good alternative for north-south traffic wanting a mainly rural route without a lot of local traffic.

hbelkins

Tennessee is always going to be a bottleneck on its north-south interstates. I-65 is the most heavily-traveled-by-truck route in Kentucky, and most of that traffic is not going to enter or exit at the new TN 109 interchange. And the cost to widen I-75 across Pine Mountain at Jellico, south of the state line, would be astronomical. I don't know if I-840/TN 109 will make a decent bypass of I-65 in Nashville or not, but the US 27/TN 111/US 127/various Kentucky routes corridor will end up being a good bypass of Knoxville.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

froggie

Quote from: hbelkinsI don't know if I-840/TN 109 will make a decent bypass of I-65 in Nashville or not

Not if TDOT doesn't make TN 109 at least limited-access.  Still way too many driveways along the exiting 4-lane segments of TN 109, plus they force you to turn to get on/off the Gallatin bypass at the south end.

silverback1065

why wasn't there a full beltway around nashville?  they have a patchwork of 440 and 155 instead.

sprjus4

Quote from: silverback1065 on January 03, 2019, 05:49:35 PM
why wasn't there a full beltway around nashville?  they have a patchwork of 440 and 355 instead.
Funding issues. They want one though, but if built would probably be a toll road. Also the ramps on either end of I-840 are designed for extension.

silverback1065

Quote from: sprjus4 on January 03, 2019, 05:56:47 PM
Quote from: silverback1065 on January 03, 2019, 05:49:35 PM
why wasn't there a full beltway around nashville?  they have a patchwork of 440 and 355 instead.
Funding issues. They want one though, but if built would probably be a toll road. Also the ramps on either end of I-840 are designed for extension.

i thought 840 was officially dead? they want a beltway closer to 155 and 440?

adventurernumber1

Quote from: sparker on December 27, 2018, 09:55:45 PM
Quote from: NE2 on December 27, 2018, 07:31:05 PM
Quote from: webny99 on December 26, 2018, 09:26:49 PM
Tennessee's I-840, mentioned above, is one of the most outstanding examples (of those which only bypass one metro area). The frustrating thing about I-840 is that it has created needless congestion on I-40, I-65, and I-24 where it meets them. I-65 at I-840 is especially problematic - I-65 loses a southbound lane at I-840 when it should be gaining one. It was an incredible lack of forethought to combine a lane drop with a huge influx of through traffic. Talk about solving one problem and creating another! :banghead:
I wonder if you've been there long enough to see congestion patterns.

I-840 is a very odd duck indeed.  It essentially serves two purposes -- one is simply a Nashville outer bypass for I-40; the other connects regional exurbs.  There's not a lot of long-distance traffic that can utilize I-840 efficiently aside from the aforementioned I-40 alternate; Knoxville traffic heading to Huntsville or Birmingham would generally pass through Chattanooga and use either US 72 west or I-59 southwest to reach their destinations; a I-40/840/65 routing would be well out of the way unless there was an interim stop in the Nashville area (and that's a pretty specific itinerary).  Now -- if the old Saturn plant in Spring Hill were still functioning at its 1990's level, there might be a rationale for 6-laning I-65 down at least to TN 396 -- but since GM's only got 3K workers there right now on multiple shifts, the congestion, if any, would be minimal and sporadic.  And there's little in the way of long-distance patterns from either westward I-40 or I-24 in general that would utilize I-65 south of I-840.  If anything, the growth of Franklin north of the I-840 junction (primarily electronic manufacturing/distribution) would call for a 6+ lane I-65 north of the interchange, with traffic dispersing onto I-840 (principally east, where most of the suburban growth is occurring) toward outlying residential areas.  And unless the destination is specifically Columbia or Spring Hill, eastbound I-40 traffic from Memphis and Jackson won't turn south on I-65 from I-840 (or I-40, for that matter!); the 4-laned US 72 and I-22 address any Memphis-AL traffic.   

Often, DOT's tend to shrink lanes on freeways radiating outward from a metro center once a bypass has been reached; the I-65/840 situation is no different.  Unless there's a concerted effort to 6-lane all of I-65 in TN (like in KY), it'll probably remain "as is" for the foreseeable future.  It's pretty clear from the 65/840 interchange design (as well as the two junctions with I-40) that TNDOT designed the 840 route as a full loop, serving both I-40 and I-65 as a functional bypass.  Without the northern half, the existing bypass has limited utility, so its contribution to regional congestion is questionable -- and if it takes a significant number of through trucks off I-40 (or 440) through town, it's fulfilling its current main duty!

On my trip back from the Dallas-Fort Worth Metro Area in July 2015, our ride (a bus) took Interstate 840 (formerly TN 840) in what I gathered to be a very efficient route. We were headed east on I-40 toward Nashville, and we took I-840 east, crossed I-65, then moved onto I-24 Eastbound toward Chattanooga. This appeared to be much quicker and much more efficient than taking I-40 directly into Nashville (or even using I-440) then getting onto I-24 there to head southeast. Of course, as has been noted, not every traffic movement utilizing Interstate 840 is as efficient or likely as this one. But I noticed this to be a very useful routing using I-840, since traffic probably would have likely been much worse closer to downtown Nashville.

Interstate 840 is a beltway (*currently a partial beltway) so monstrous in size, which may be one reason why it is going to be very hard to get the northern half of the beltway completed (if it ever is). I'd imagine that if fully completed, I-840 (TN) would surpass I-275 (KY-IN-OH)(Cincinnati) as the largest beltway in the United States. I can't imagine how expensive it would be. It would be incredibly interesting to see, though.

Although not very necessary, as noted, I could see it as being a little bit useful to widen I-65 south from I-840 just down to the limited-access TN 396. It could alleviate any possible congestion at the I-65/I-840 interchange that webny99 is referring to. It is definitely a low priority, but I could see benefits that it might add, even if small. But more appropriately, if growth and sprawl in the southern Nashville Metro Area continues at the rapid rate that it has been at lately (including Spring Hill's population skyrocketing from around 7,000 to around 29,000 between the 2000 and 2010 censuses, and being estimated at around 40,000 as of late), then a larger-scale widening may be in store for that part of Interstate 65 anyway in the long-term.

But regarding other long distance bypasses, I feel that I have heard that many truckers use US 27 to bypass the Turnpike from central Florida to the Miami area. Much of US 27 there is multi-lane, IIRC, so it could indeed be an effective bypass if one wants to avoid the tolls.

The one time I have been to the Jacksonville area (the northeast part of the metro area specifically), my family took I-75 South (to Macon) to I-16 East to I-95 South. Another route, which Google Maps marks as the quickest (from Macon to Jacksonville), is I-75 South to I-10 East. However, the bypass I am getting at is that I believe an effective bypass route could be made by utilizing GA 19 and US 23 in southeast Georgia (and it would be around the same length of time, according to Google Maps).

I've heard that some truckers take US 27 north through the state of Georgia as an alternative to Interstate 75, but I don't know how common that actually is, especially when considering the fact that US 27 still has a few "spots" (one of them being the very tricky proposed bypass of Summerville through the mountains) throughout the state that would need to be upgraded before US 27 truly meets the complete standard as a legitimate efficient bypass of I-75 through the entire state.

Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

sprjus4

Quote from: adventurernumber1 on January 03, 2019, 11:27:38 PM
Interstate 840 is a beltway (*currently a partial beltway) so monstrous in size, which may be one reason why it is going to be very hard to get the northern half of the beltway completed (if it ever is). I'd imagine that if fully completed, I-840 (TN) would surpass I-275 (KY-IN-OH)(Cincinnati) as the largest beltway in the United States. I can't imagine how expensive it would be. It would be incredibly interesting to see, though.
Completing the beltway would surpass the size of I-275 definitely, probably would be about 160 miles long (that's over 2 hours of driving!), but when TX-99 (Grand Parkway) outer beltway toll road in Houston, Texas is completed, it would be 184 miles long (3 hours to drive!). The Texas project is more likely in the future because being a toll road, it funds itself. A 30 mile extension is currently planned to be built and opened by 2022. It would only be a super-two in rural locations, with 10 ft shoulders (the standard Texas rural road design), and a 70 - 75 MPH speed limit, but limited-access on a right of way for four lanes. That project alone would bring the beltway to more than 100 miles long, and the longest in the United States.

cl94

Between Crow Agency, MT (east of Billings) and Whitewood, SD (west of Rapid City), it's 12 minutes and 56 miles faster to use US 212 and SD 34 instead of I-90.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: cl94 on January 04, 2019, 09:25:34 PM
Between Crow Agency, MT (east of Billings) and Whitewood, SD (west of Rapid City), it's 12 minutes and 56 miles faster to use US 212 and SD 34 instead of I-90.
It's always amused me that I-90 is not the through route, and it makes an awkward turn in Wyoming. Anyone know why they didn't just extend I-25 into Montana and make I-90 use SD 34 and US 212?
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

hotdogPi

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on January 04, 2019, 10:06:07 PM
It's always amused me that I-90 is not the through route, and it makes an awkward turn in Wyoming. Anyone know why they didn't just extend I-25 into Montana and make I-90 use SD 34 and US 212?

More miles of road would have had to have been built due to I-25 being longer.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

US 89

Quote from: 1 on January 04, 2019, 10:09:03 PM

And also because the routing into Wyoming serves a lot more population. The US 87/US 16 alignment that got built passes through Sheridan and Gillette in Wyoming (both of which have micropolitan areas), whereas a US 212 routing would only pass through Broadus, MT. Not to mention the fact that US 212 passes through the Northern Cheyenne Indian Reservation, which would be one more hoop for planners to jump through.

I swear we've discussed this before.

EDIT: yes, we have...and the same person, no less.

SectorZ

Quote from: US 89 on January 04, 2019, 11:43:00 PM

And also because the routing into Wyoming serves a lot more population. The US 87/US 16 alignment that got built passes through Sheridan and Gillette in Wyoming (both of which have micropolitan areas), whereas a US 212 routing would only pass through Broadus, MT. Not to mention the fact that US 212 passes through the Northern Cheyenne Indian Reservation, which would be one more hoop for planners to jump through.

Well he had a break and came back so I'll give him a pass. RGT 2.0 apparently forgot what version 1.0 discussed here. At least he's consistent.

Roadgeekteen

Oh  :banghead: :banghead:. That was over a year ago, can't remember that long in detail!
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Flint1979

The route is also 55 miles shorter.

sparker

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on January 05, 2019, 10:35:49 AM

Oh  :banghead: :banghead:. That was over a year ago, can't remember that long in detail!

Avoiding lengthy segments through Native American sovereign territory -- which more often than not requires protracted negotiation, design compromises, and "quid pro quo" arrangements regarding compensation (which given all considerations is quite justified) seems to be part and parcel of corridor planning in the western states -- and is one of many reasons (cost being the primary issue) that a northern extension of I-17, long tossed about in this forum, hasn't happened and is likely not to occur.  Aside from wishing to serve the Sheridan and Gillette areas in WY (the latter prescient due to its later stature as the functional center of the Powder River coal region), avoidance of multiple Native American jurisdictions -- as a US 212-based I-90 and just about any iteration of a potential I-17 would necessitate -- is probably the most prudent approach.  There's already too many divides and conflicts in today's sociopolitical arena; best to avoid fomenting any more.

cl94

Quote from: Flint1979 on January 05, 2019, 12:02:20 PM

...which is exactly what I said.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

webny99

Quote from: cl94 on January 05, 2019, 02:52:41 PM
Quote from: Flint1979 on January 05, 2019, 12:02:20 PM
...which is exactly what I said.

I think he saw "faster" and assumed you were talking about time, not distance.

CNGL-Leudimin

Even Big Rig Steve used this route last time he went through the area. However it was nightime after he passed Broadus MT, and it was a severe PITA to search the MT/WY and WY/SD borders along that route.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

DJ Particle

Quote from: ilpt4u on December 26, 2018, 07:16:56 PM
I-74 and I-39 combine to make a Long Distance bypass of Chicago, to/from points South, North, or West. Just doesn't work too well for points East

From WI:
I-39
I-74
I-465
I-70 to points East Coast.
I-70, I-71 to Cleveland

Saves toll money too!   :-D

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.