News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Different Direction, Different Speed Limit

Started by webny99, January 06, 2019, 06:42:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wxfree

The speed zone manual I referred to is TxDOT's, so it wouldn't apply to other states.  I assumed that was obvious in context because I don't know of any federal speed limit rules.
I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

webny99

I think I may have mentioned this before, but there are three adjacent roadways here, and ALL THREE have different speed limits. And they're not even in the hierarchy that you'd assume: the middle roadway (I-190 NB) has the lowest limit, a ridiculous 45 mph, while being flanked by I-190 SB (65 mph) and NY 265 (55 mph both directions). Pretty crazy that NY 265, the "surface street", gets the higher limit than I-190 NB, the "freeway".

sprjus4

Being close to home and traveling it often, I've never thought about this one of having different speed limits until now.

I-264 through the Downtown Norfolk interchange complex, the eastbound lanes are posted at 55 mph, whereas the westbound lanes are only 35 mph, due to sharper curves and twists plus entrance ramps to the left and right in that direction, and a straightaway on the eastbound direction.

bulldog1979

Guam Highway 1 has different speed limits in opposite directions.

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Going east on I-630 (into Little Rock) without construction there's a speed limit of 60, but going west, there's a speed of 55. What I don't get is why you want slower traffic going out of a city center...
Well, that's just like your opinion man...

crispy93

In late 2017, NYSDOT lowered the speed limit on I-84 at the stormville rest area, but only for westbound (downhill) traffic, to 55. The eastbound lanes (going uphill) is still 65.
Not every speed limit in NY needs to be 30

vdeane

Quote from: crispy93 on November 15, 2019, 01:03:01 PM
In late 2017, NYSDOT lowered the speed limit on I-84 at the stormville rest area, but only for westbound (downhill) traffic, to 55. The eastbound lanes (going uphill) is still 65.
Looks like that's probably related to an issue with the bridge over NY 52; the street view shows what looks like an indefinite lane shift and shoulder closure.  I see there's a project out there right now, so it's probably temporary.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

renegade

I encountered something along these lines once, years ago.  I can't recall where to save my soul, other than it was somewhere in Ohio.  I only remember it because the ticket was $145.

:colorful:
Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

crispy93

Quote from: vdeane on November 15, 2019, 01:47:56 PM
Looks like that's probably related to an issue with the bridge over NY 52; the street view shows what looks like an indefinite lane shift and shoulder closure.  I see there's a project out there right now, so it's probably temporary.

Yes, the bridge project is wrapping up. But for about a year, it was a plain old speed reduction: yellow "55 ahead" signs and several sets of "speed limit 55" signs (I figured they were out of "state speed limit 55" signs and made do). Didn't take long before half of them were falling down or knocked off into the grass. No work zone was set up yet. Within the last few months, they now say "work zone speed limit 55." We'll see what happens.
Not every speed limit in NY needs to be 30

vdeane

Quote from: crispy93 on November 19, 2019, 03:20:35 PM
Quote from: vdeane on November 15, 2019, 01:47:56 PM

Yes, the bridge project is wrapping up. But for about a year, it was a plain old speed reduction: yellow "55 ahead" signs and several sets of "speed limit 55" signs (I figured they were out of "state speed limit 55" signs and made do). Didn't take long before half of them were falling down or knocked off into the grass. No work zone was set up yet. Within the last few months, they now say "work zone speed limit 55." We'll see what happens.
Still likely temporary, even then.  I'm guessing some part of the structure was found to be unsafe, resulting in the lane shift, and R8 probably didn't want to have a jersey barrier right up against a travel lane with a 65 mph speed limit.  Last year's street view clearly shows the shift with no work zone.

Such situations aren't unprecedented.  Just look at the 55* mph speed limit on the Thruway through Seneca lands due to poor pavement.

*I think.  Many articles say 45, but they could easily be confusing it with the advisory speed, and the street view isn't current.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

cl94

Quote from: vdeane on November 19, 2019, 08:07:10 PM
Such situations aren't unprecedented.  Just look at the 55* mph speed limit on the Thruway through Seneca lands due to poor pavement.

*I think.  Many articles say 45, but they could easily be confusing it with the advisory speed, and the street view isn't current.

It was 55 when I was through last year and it remains 55 according to the plans NYSTA posted today for the full-depth rehab.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

amroad17

I-75 in Northern Kentucky...

SB: 65 mph beginning at Exit 186 (Buttermilk Pike)
NB: 55 mph beginning at Exit 184 (Erlanger)

So, for approximately 2 miles, SB has a 65 mph limit vs. NB at 55 mph.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

hbelkins

I-79 between the West Virginia line and I-70 in Pennsylvania used to have this setup. Different speed limits NB and SB in one area where mine subsidence had been an issue.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

cwf1701

I-94 near Exit 210 is 70 MPH westbound, 55 Eastbound. The Speed Limit drop Eastbound near Exit 208.

stevashe

Quote from: cwf1701 on November 22, 2019, 10:26:15 PM
I-94 near Exit 210 is 70 MPH westbound, 55 Eastbound. The Speed Limit drop Eastbound near Exit 208.

Would have been useful if you said what state this was in :-P

Looks like it's in Dearborn, Michigan https://www.google.com/maps/dir/42.2965745,-83.1861785/42.3222003,-83.1640644/@42.315801,-83.1658605,6263m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!4m1!3e0

cwf1701

Quote from: stevashe on November 23, 2019, 02:16:26 PM
Quote from: cwf1701 on November 22, 2019, 10:26:15 PM

Would have been useful if you said what state this was in :-P

Looks like it's in Dearborn, Michigan https://www.google.com/maps/dir/42.2965745,-83.1861785/42.3222003,-83.1640644/@42.315801,-83.1658605,6263m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!4m1!3e0
My Bad. there is a reverse between 8 and 10 Mile on I-94 in Detroit, going into Detroit/Wayne County, I-94 drop from 70 to 55 Westbound, and goes to 70 just after the curve south of 9 Mile.

deathtopumpkins

The Circumferential Highway in NH is posted at 45 eastbound, 50 westbound.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

DevalDragon

On the Indiana Toll Road between the Westgate Toll Plaza and Exit 3 across Wolf Lake is posted at 70 MPH eastbound and 55 MPH westbound.

bwana39

Texas doesn't do it even when it makes sense. 

When does it make sense? When a road going one way is through or in acceleration mode. Think a stop sign. It would be prudent to slow traffic before reaching a stop sign or traffic signal. The traffic leaving said impediment with no or significantly distant impediment could / should accelerate at a safe rate up to cruising speed.  Therefore, the speed leaving the intersection should be allowed to accelerate to one posted rate, while the traffic coming toward the impediment should be slowed gradually over distance making the speed limits unmatched across that area.
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

vdeane

Quote from: bwana39 on April 07, 2020, 11:38:04 AM
Texas doesn't do it even when it makes sense. 

When does it make sense? When a road going one way is through or in acceleration mode. Think a stop sign. It would be prudent to slow traffic before reaching a stop sign or traffic signal. The traffic leaving said impediment with no or significantly distant impediment could / should accelerate at a safe rate up to cruising speed.  Therefore, the speed leaving the intersection should be allowed to accelerate to one posted rate, while the traffic coming toward the impediment should be slowed gradually over distance making the speed limits unmatched across that area.
I'm not sure I'd agree on that.  Different vehicles take different amounts of time to slow down/stop for something and driving way slow because there's something I'd need to stop for a mile up the road is very frustrating.  This is a mile from customs - it's 65 the other way.  This one is a bit over half a mile from a toll barrier to a two-lane bridge - it's 55 the other way though the cloverleaf in between, 65 on either side of the bridge and interchange.  Here's yet another one, 45 approaching Fort Drum, even though you're half a mile away, and everyone else is getting off at the next interchange anyways.  It's 65 the other way.  Same thing happens approaching I-81.  In both I-781 examples, people will pass you like you're standing still even if you're speeding by 10 mph.

webny99

The I-781 examples are particularly laughable when compared to NY 531... which...
(a) only switches to 55, not 45
(b) remains 65 until much closer to the actual terminus, and
(c) ends at an actual stoplight! and not just a freeway ramp.

So if that's not total inconsistency on every possible level, I don't know what is.

vdeane

Quote from: webny99 on April 07, 2020, 08:14:39 PM
The I-781 examples are particularly laughable when compared to NY 531... which...
(a) only switches to 55, not 45
(b) remains 65 until much closer to the actual terminus, and
(c) ends at an actual stoplight! and not just a freeway ramp.

So if that's not total inconsistency on every possible level, I don't know what is.
And not only that, heading straight onto NY 31 west the roadway remains 55, so that drop has more to it than just being to slow people down for the light!

fwydriver405

Quote from: Joe The Dragon on January 15, 2019, 11:19:53 AM
Quote from: wxfree on January 14, 2019, 01:08:58 AM
Quote from: sprjus4 on January 12, 2019, 08:43:43 PM
I've seen in Texas frequently (on two or four lane) where it will gradually slow down for the town, but outbound it goes from the town speed limit to 55 MPH to 75 MPH. I wonder if it's ever jumped straight to 75 from 35 - 40.

Stops in Texas are basic. Speed limit 75 - four-way stop ahead - Stop - go - speed limit 75. Simple. I love it. One of my favorite states to drive in.

The speed zone manual specifies that speed limits should not change by more than 15 mph, and that a change should not occur less that 0.2 mile from the previous change.  This rule is not always followed.  I know of a place where the limit drops from 50 to 30, and several where it increases from 55 to 75.  At the latter locations, the speed limit inbound reduces from 75 to 70 to 55, which is in keeping with the guidance.

I like that reductions are limited, since a drop from 75 to 30 would be difficult, but I'd have no problem with an increase from 30 to 75 if the conditions made that appropriate.  However, another guideline in the manual is that the limit on an undivided road should be the same in both directions, for simplicity of enforcement.  The examples of 55 to 75 outbound and 75 to 70 to 55 inbound are obvious exceptions, but they are for short distances.  The examples I've seen just look like they're saving a single "Speed Limit 70" sign on the outbound side where it isn't really needed.  I've also noticed that the final sign, for "Speed Limit 75," tends to be about halfway between the "70" and "55" signs on the incoming side.  They use one sign placed about halfway between where the "70" and "75" signs technically should be.
But there are places where a school zone can drop an 45 down to 25-20.

There's a case in South Berwick ME on SR 236 near Marshwood High School. Speed Limit 55 during normal operations, but near the school, it drops down to 15...

capt.ron

There is a section of US 59 that straddles TX and AR just north of Texarkana. TX side has a higher speed limit vs AR.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.