Worst Interstate drive you have experienced

Started by ShawnP, September 02, 2010, 07:23:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShawnP

Mine is I-70 west of Topeka, Kansas which is flat (rises so slowly you don't notice) and really barren of any tree's. Total sheer boredom and maybe it was me but that Colorado state line sure seemed to move further west. Second place is I-75 south of Macon, Georgia which has trees but very straight and after the busy roads of Atlanta it dies in the middle of the night.

agentsteel53

I-10 and I-75 in Florida.  God damn is St. Petersburg far away from Mobile.  Glancing at the map, you'd figure it to be about a 300 mile drive or so...

I was in Mobile at 2, not unreasonable to show up in St Pete for dinner, right?
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

RoadWarrior56

If you want 150 miles of sheet monotony, try I-16 between Macon and Savannah.  At least along I-75 south of Macon, the numerous billboards can keep you entertained.

agentsteel53

Quote from: RoadWarrior56 on September 02, 2010, 07:37:57 PM
If you want 150 miles of sheet monotony, try I-16 between Macon and Savannah.  At least along I-75 south of Macon, the numerous billboards can keep you entertained.

I know the feeling!  The other direction, though: had to catch a plane at 4am in Atlanta...

jake@aaroads.com

Scott5114

I-35 in the Flint Hills is tedious to me, as is anywhere else there's an excessive span of space between exits. A lot of people would probably call I-40 in Texas pretty damn boring, since the Llano Estacado is so empty and flat, but there's enough exits there that it makes it interesting, and if you're going west, then the anticipation of hitting the next state helps deflect the relative boredom of the westernmost part of it.

For me it's not so much the scenery that makes things boring, but the lack of exits. As long as I have BGSes to ogle I'm fine. But when there's no reading material, well...

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

corco

I'm with you on I-70 from ~ Junction City all the way to Denver. Western Kansas and Eastern Colorado are the most godforsaken pieces of the entire country. Soooo borrrring. Last time I was in that area it was night time and we watched some older lady hit a deer and then we had to put it out of its misery, so that made the trip a bit more exciting, but holy crap that drive sucks.

Other rough interstate drives- I-84 from Heyburn Idaho to Tremonton, Utah. That drive feels like it takes forever- it seems a lot further than it should be. This likely has to do with the lack of exits mentioned above.

One weird note- Wyoming is the only state I know of in which the interstates are usually more engaging than the two lanes. The two lane roads are so rural and there's no towns that it's really hard to stay focused. Getting on the interstate is a good way to wake up, something I don't find to be the case anywhere else I've driven extensively.

allniter89

Yep, I-16 is my choice, especially after dark! I've seeen many a vehicle into the trees, probably cuz they fell asleep.
To me, I 75 south of Macon usually has enough vacation traffic on it to keep it interesting and sometimes a large pita
I-80 in IA & NB and I 94 ND are also miserable rides as flat, boring scenery and few cities to break the monotony.
I 95 from Boston to Wash DC is bad for me cuz I hate the constant heavy traffic, and endless settlements. In fact I actually hate driving I 95 from Boston to Miami, there is so much vacation traffic and insane drivers on this highway, even in the middle of NC or SC it can get aggravating  :banghead:
I am SO HAPPY I retired from otr truck driving  :sombrero: :clap:, it is getting so bad on the highways the last few years.  :ded:
BUY AMERICAN MADE.
SPEED SAFELY.

thenetwork

I nominate I-70 from the UT/CO state line to Green River, UT. Compared to Colorado, I-70 in Eastern UT is flat, long and civilization-less.

It's amazing how quickly the terrain (& scenery) changes when you are Westbound on I-70 crossing into Utah.  Whoever determined where the state line was to be placed way back when was spot on!

I-70 finally gets interesting when you hit the San Rafael Swell. It's like "how the hell is the freeway getting through *that*"???

bugo

Quote from: Scott5114 on September 02, 2010, 07:55:49 PM
I-35 in the Flint Hills is tedious to me, as is anywhere else there's an excessive span of space between exits.

I find the Flint Hills to be beautiful.  They look like a giant blanket that has been tossed on the ground.

mightyace

I-65 in Indiana, especially north of Indianapolis.
I-70 in Indiana from Indy west to Terra Haute.
I-57 in Illinois, again especially northern part.
The entire I-80/90 duplex on the Indiana and Ohio toll roads.

All flat, flat, flat....
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

Quillz

I don't like that it takes me over three hours to travel about five miles on I-405 some days. And most of I-5 through the Central Valley is pretty boring.

Scott5114

Oh, god, I forgot. I-39 in Illinois. First interstate where it was so boring I intentionally went to sleep to get away from it.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

allniter89

Quote from: mightyace on September 02, 2010, 08:34:37 PM

All flat, flat, flat....
Yeah, the NY Thruway is boring also.
I forgot I 57 in IL, man thats a long 300some miles from Chicagoland to Missouri, especially in a truck with 55 speed limit!
I 39 was even worse when it 1st opened and had hardly any services near it, but it's still a long ride!
BUY AMERICAN MADE.
SPEED SAFELY.

wh15395

Quote from: mightyace on September 02, 2010, 08:34:37 PM

All flat, flat, flat....
At least the windmills around Lafayette are somewhat interesting on I-65. My complaint is when you get north of Lafayette, the road is filled with holes. And the part I hate about 80/90 (in Ohio) is that it seems like there is a state trooper waiting to pull you over every 15 miles.

allniter89

Sheeit!! You have a Ohio State Turd waiting for you every 15 feet!! Them guys are MF!!
BUY AMERICAN MADE.
SPEED SAFELY.

ShawnP

My last ride in the middle of the night on I-70 west of Topeka I had nothing to keep the interest except some CD's and KOA out of Denver.

florida

I-95 in SC and VA.
I-4 from Exit 118 to Exit 132.
So many roads...so little time.

KEK Inc.

I-5 between Wilsonville and Grants Pass is boring as hell, and there's hills south of Eugene.  Also, apparently, the entire stretch of I-5 in Oregon is a construction zone since ODOT never puts end road work signs, and there's plenty of 'TRAFFIC FINES ARE DOUBLED' signs...  :\

Also, ODOT doesn't have a speed limit higher than 65...
Take the road less traveled.

Mergingtraffic

Imagine how the people felt who built these interstates!
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

KEK Inc.

Quote from: doofy103 on September 02, 2010, 10:08:25 PM
Imagine how the people felt who built these interstates!
In the case of ODOT, probably drunk or high off of meth.
Take the road less traveled.

74/171FAN

Anytime I'm on I-95 SB coming home from DC from about a mile or two south of Springfield to VA 123 in Woodbridge(obviously due to congestion) and I-81 from US 460 in Christiansburg to US 11/US 220/US 220 ALT, there's always a lot of traffic on 81 and passing the slower traffic always becomes a pain
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

huskeroadgeek

Quote from: RoadWarrior56 on September 02, 2010, 07:37:57 PM
If you want 150 miles of sheet monotony, try I-16 between Macon and Savannah.  At least along I-75 south of Macon, the numerous billboards can keep you entertained.
This was the first one that came to mind for me too. To me, a drive like this is worse than the flat nothingness of the Great Plains. Fortunately when I was on I-16 I was riding on a tour bus instead of driving, but I had a real hard time staying awake for it which bugged me because I had never been on it before and I didn't want to miss all the signs I hadn't ever seen before. At least it was useful for county collecting since it goes through 11 different counties.

Grzrd

I tend to have rotten luck with 2-lane (in one direction; 4-lane total) stretches of I-10 in Mississippi; it always amazes me how many slower drivers insist on staying in left lane.  Could just be simple bad luck, though ...

kurumi

I-80 in Pennsylvania, aka the Keystone "Shortway". Control cities you've never heard of. Speed limit 55, "Radar for your protection", back when other states had already gone to 65. One of the two lanes blocked off for miles, so that random blocks of concrete could be leisurely cut out and replaced.

My nomination for Deceptively Long-ass Drive is actually the Wilbur Cross and Merritt Parkways at 11 pm. Connecticut's a small state; Meriden to Norwalk is nowhere near border-to-border. Google Maps says it's not even 50 miles. But it seemed to take forever.
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

agentsteel53

Florida always continues to earn my award for "deceptively long-ass drive".  Did you know it is 879 miles!! from Mobile to Key West?  And an unfortunate segment of that done at 25mph? 

had I made a guess, I'd have said 350 miles, done in five hours easy.

oh Hell no!

you can get, from Mobile, to El Paso faster than you could get to Key West.

jake@aaroads.com

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.