News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

President Barack Obama has a road named after him in Orlando, FL.

Started by roadman65, October 15, 2011, 02:48:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SSOWorld

Lombardi Ave, Holmgren Way and Brett Favre Pass in Green Bay (the third is 1 block ending in a cul-de-sac by his restauraunt) It won't be long and McCarthey and Mr. Rodgers will have streets named after them too.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

There's John Lee Hooker Ln in Clarksdale, Miss.

B.B. King Road in Indianola, Miss.

Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

formulanone

Quote from: agentsteel53 on October 27, 2011, 06:17:30 PM
eh, those two were basically gradual developments of concepts without a single agreed-upon "eureka!" moment.

Philo Farnsworth and Tim Berners Lee? Nah, just give credit to Thomas Edison and Ben Franklin, then.

Quote from: oscar on October 27, 2011, 07:51:44 PM
...Joe Montana souvenirs....

Wow, I remember when you could buy pre-posted envelopes for the same price as the stamp itself (this was around 1992). Bought about 50 of those when I went off to college...deal of the century when I made minimum wage money!

roadman65

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

pianocello

That sign is a waste of money. They'll have to replace the sign with one that doesn't say "Pres." (or says "Former Pres.") in a few years anyway. Besides, they don't post the end of other famous streets such as Michigan Avenue in Chicago or 5th Avenue in New York with a sign like that.
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

agentsteel53

live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Zmapper

I have to ask... was that sign payed for with federal government stimulus funds?

roadman65

Quote from: NE2 on December 24, 2011, 01:38:43 PM
Once a president, always a president.

He is right!  Even JFK and Honest Abe are still  President Kennedy and President Lincoln spite they have moved on either decades and centuries ago.

Sheryl Crowe

formulanone

Scott5114

Remember those puzzles you see sometimes with the really tall, skinny letters that are almost impossible to read unless you stare at them for a while?

That reminds me of one of those. Jeez, pick one name, don't sign both.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

vtk

I'm pretty sure the MUTCD says somewhere that guide signs are to be sized to fit their contents, not the other way around.  Street name signs are a type of guide sign, right?
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

formulanone

Those laminate signs have been in use for at least 5-10 years now in South Florida, so my guess is that they just replaced the SW 40 Street panels with an "updated" version.

realjd

You'd think "Obama Blvd" would be sufficient for the sign.

Central Avenue

Quote from: realjd on December 26, 2011, 09:35:08 PM
That was my thought, too. It's not as if there's any other "Obama" who a street would be named for.
Routewitches. These children of the moving road gather strength from travel . . . Rather than controlling the road, routewitches choose to work with it, borrowing its strength and using it to make bargains with entities both living and dead. -- Seanan McGuire, Sparrow Hill Road

Zmapper

Quote from: Central Avenue on December 26, 2011, 09:54:56 PM
Quote from: realjd on December 26, 2011, 09:35:08 PM
That was my thought, too. It's not as if there's any other "Obama" who a street would be named for.

I think Ricardo Mangue Obama Nfubea might want to have a word with you.  :sombrero:

Takumi

Because if there's one person who needs a road in Florida named after him, it's the former prime minister of Equatorial Guinea. :p
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

roadman65

Well, Mr. President got to see his namesake street yesterday en route from Orlando International AIrport to WIndermere, FL  His motorcade went on FL 528, FL Turnpike, I-4, and Conroy Road past his parkway.  It would be nice to see his reaction to it!   His motorcade actually had a rolling roadblock traveling East on I-4 so there would be no stopped traffic .  However, I was on Westbound I-4 where he was not traveling on, yet the WB I-4 to the FL Turnpike ramp was sealed off until the Presidient passed by, even though he was going the other way from NB to EB.

I am guessing the narrow ramp configuration is not considered secure enough like the wide freeways are.

Sheryl Crowe

golden eagle

There's the Haley Barbour Parkway in Yazoo City, MS, named after our former governor.

bugo

Quote from: US71 on October 27, 2011, 09:03:49 PM
I'm sure Disney lawyers have sent threatening letters to every small town in Montana, telling each not to even think about renaming itself Hannah.

Who would be dumb enough to do that?   :pan:

Montana.  They have a town called Joe.

empirestate

Maybe we should take a cue from Mexico and just name all of our streets after dates instead of people.

Scott5114

Quote from: bugo on February 25, 2012, 01:48:40 PM
Quote from: US71 on October 27, 2011, 09:03:49 PM
I'm sure Disney lawyers have sent threatening letters to every small town in Montana, telling each not to even think about renaming itself Hannah.

Who would be dumb enough to do that?   :pan:

Montana.  They have a town called Joe.

Don't forget, Oklahoma named a town after Gene Autry, who I'm sure a lot of younger people have never heard of.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

mgk920

mightyace

My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

roadman65

You know there is a bridge named after a hero that was not in public office nor was a preacher, spokesperson, athlete, etc.
That would be the Arland Williams Bridge (I-395 & US 1 Northbound) over the Potomac River between Washington, DC and Arlington, VA.

He was a passenger aboard the Air Florida Jet  Flight 90 that crashed into the Potomac decades ago in 1982 that could have been rescued from the icy waters of the river as this happened in mid Winter.  Instead, he insisted that the rescue workers take another person stranded in the water besides him and when they finally came for him, he perished.   That has gotten to be the best situation for a bridge or road to be named after as what Mr. Williams did was selfishness and thought of another life before his own in this me first world that we live in.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.