News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Roads that serve more than one community with the same name

Started by roadman65, February 14, 2013, 10:29:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nwi_navigator_1181

Quote from: Brandon on February 21, 2013, 11:17:56 AM
Quote from: nwi_navigator_1181 on February 20, 2013, 11:23:33 PM
I-65 serves both Nashville, IN (15 minutes west on Indiana 46) and Nashville, TN.

I-94 serves Lansing, IL and Lansing, MI, as well.

How the heck does I-94 serve Lansing, MI?  That's I-69 and I-96.  I-94 is well over 40 miles away at that point.

Edited my original post for correction. I had a long day yesterday. My bad. :)
"Slower Traffic Keep Right" means just that.
You use turn signals. Every Time. Every Transition.

1995hoo

Quote from: cpzilliacus on February 21, 2013, 07:04:16 PM
In the "reasonably close" category, there's U.S. 301, which runs  through Prince George's County, Maryland and through Prince George County, Virginia.

U.S. 1 runs through Prince George's County, but makes a turn to the southeast in Petersburg, Virginia, which allows it to avoid Prince George County (it comes pretty close to the Prince George County border in Petersburg).

This prompts me to recall that I-85 runs through a Mecklenburg County in both North Carolina (near Charlotte) and Virginia (adjacent to the state line). I probably wouldn't have thought of it without your post because I don't normally think of a county as a "community" unless it's a small urban county.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

kphoger

Quote from: 1995hoo on February 22, 2013, 05:35:01 PM
Quote from: cpzilliacus on February 21, 2013, 07:04:16 PM
In the "reasonably close" category, there's U.S. 301, which runs  through Prince George's County, Maryland and through Prince George County, Virginia.

U.S. 1 runs through Prince George's County, but makes a turn to the southeast in Petersburg, Virginia, which allows it to avoid Prince George County (it comes pretty close to the Prince George County border in Petersburg).

This prompts me to recall that I-85 runs through a Mecklenburg County in both North Carolina (near Charlotte) and Virginia (adjacent to the state line). I probably wouldn't have thought of it without your post because I don't normally think of a county as a "community" unless it's a small urban county.

These days (dadgum whippersnappers!), the term "˜community' can basical refer to any group of people with something in common.  So if one highway serves, say, two regional spousal abuse support groups with the same name, does that count?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Revive 755

Quote from: roadman65 on February 14, 2013, 10:29:11 AM
I was noticing that I-64 has a neat situation where it serves not only Lexington, KY, but also Lexington, VA.

I-64 does better and serves two suburbs in the St. Louis metro with the same name:  O'Fallon, MO and O'Fallon, IL.

US 14 serves both Janesville, Wisconsin, and Janesville, MN

empirestate

Quote from: kphoger on February 23, 2013, 11:21:31 AM
These days (dadgum whippersnappers!), the term "˜community' can basical refer to any group of people with something in common.  So if one highway serves, say, two regional spousal abuse support groups with the same name, does that count?

Now that you mention it, why are we in America so fond of the word "community", when its neighbor words "commune" and "communist" are so abhorrent? What's the connotation of "-ity" that smooths over the whole meaning for us?

kphoger

Quote from: empirestate on February 23, 2013, 12:55:09 PM
Quote from: kphoger on February 23, 2013, 11:21:31 AM

Now that you mention it, why are we in America so fond of the word "community", when its neighbor words "commune" and "communist" are so abhorrent? What's the connotation of "-ity" that smooths over the whole meaning for us?

Commune connotes Hippie.
Communism connotes oppression and the abdication of personal property.
Community connotes personal ties with loved ones, including friends and family, and goodwill among men.  We in America seem to have lost those things to some degree, so perhaps we use the word community to refer to something contrived and unnatural precisely because we still have a need for what it originally meant.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Speedway99

Quote from: nwi_navigator_1181 on February 20, 2013, 11:23:33 PM
I-65 serves both Nashville, IN (15 minutes west on Indiana 46) and Nashville, TN.

I-94 serves Lansing, IL and Lansing, MI, as well.

But wasn't I-94 supposed to go to Lansing (and Grand Rapids) in the original plan, with I-94s current path from Detroit to Benton Harbor being I-92? And why the change? I think 94 should've gone to GR and Lansing, they should've got the longer number instead. Also, not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but I-90 serves Rochester in both NY and MN, but doesn't quite enter either, while still staying close enough for this purpose.

lepidopteran

How about: VA-28 serves both Manassas, VA and Manassas Park, VA.   :D

They border each other, but they're two separate cities.

mgk920

WI 35 goes through both Superiors in Wisconsin.  Ditto WI 16, WI 164 and WI 190 through both Pewaukees.

:cool:

Mike

hbelkins

There are at least four communities named Fairview in Kentucky. US 68 serves two of them.

One is in Todd County, near the Christian County line, where the Jefferson Davis monument is located.

The other is in Fleming County, southwest of Maysville, where KY 165 intersects.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

agentsteel53

Quote from: hbelkins on February 25, 2013, 09:33:05 PM
There are at least four communities named Fairview in Kentucky.

how did the mail ever get to the correct Fairview before ZIP codes?  County name to disambiguate? 
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Alps

Quote from: agentsteel53 on February 26, 2013, 12:53:55 PM

how did the mail ever get to the correct Fairview before ZIP codes?  County name to disambiguate? 
There are six Washingtons in NJ. Most states duplicate a certain set of names in different places.

hbelkins

Quote from: agentsteel53 on February 26, 2013, 12:53:55 PM

I'm not sure how many of them have, or had, post offices.

theline

^ I'm pretty sure that USPS has rules preventing two places with the same PO name in the same state. If I remember right, that alone has forced some places to change names, just so they could get a PO. Unfortunately, no examples come to mind.

JMoses24

I-75 passes through Troy, Ohio and Troy, Michigan (just outside Detroit).

Danville, IL was mentioned as one for I-74. It is also one of two along US 150 (the other being Danville, KY).

SP Cook

Quote from: theline on February 26, 2013, 09:57:15 PM
^ I'm pretty sure that USPS has rules preventing two places with the same PO name in the same state. If I remember right, that alone has forced some places to change names, just so they could get a PO. Unfortunately, no examples come to mind.

This is correct.  My state has at least 10 in that situation.  I'm sure other states are similar.

Landshark

Quote from: theline on February 26, 2013, 09:57:15 PM

There would be 3 Woodland's along I-5 if states could have multiple municipalities with identical names.   Lacey, WA was once called Woodland but the P.O. forced a name change.

corco

When Lakewood, Washington was incorporated, the Lakewood WA in SnoCo had to change its name to North Lakewood

hbelkins

US 421, Frankfort KY and Frankfort IN.

US 127, Jamestown KY and Jamestown TN.

The terminus of TN 111 (former TN 42) at US 127 at Static, on the Kentucky/Tennessee line, taken in 1999.

SP Cook

I-64 almost has a triple, passing through Cheseapake, VA and Cheseapeake, WV, and within about 1/2 mile of Chesapeake, OH.  I-64 also passes through Williamsburg, VA, and within a mile of unincorporated Williamsburg, WV.

I-75 passes within a mile of Dayton, KY and through Dayton, OH.

There is a story that the land developers who started St. Petersburg flipped a coin between their birthplaces as to the name.  The guy born in St. Petersburg, Russia won.  The other guy was born in Detroit.  Which would make I-75 the Detroit to Detroit highway.

djsinco

3 million miles and counting

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

PHLBOS

Quote from: NE2 on March 04, 2013, 03:39:14 AM
Quote from: djsinco on March 04, 2013, 03:10:06 AM
I-70; Denver, CO and Denver, PA
Nope.
I think he meant I-76.  Denver, PA is accessible to I-76/PA Turnpike at Exit 286 (US 222 & PA 272).
GPS does NOT equal GOD

NE2

Quote from: PHLBOS on March 04, 2013, 03:40:55 PM
Quote from: NE2 on March 04, 2013, 03:39:14 AM
Quote from: djsinco on March 04, 2013, 03:10:06 AM
I-70; Denver, CO and Denver, PA
Nope.
I think he meant I-76.  Denver, PA is accessible to I-76/PA Turnpike at Exit 286 (US 222 & PA 272).
Still not the same road. But it is an interesting trivia question: where can you see a sign for I-76/Denver east of the Mississippi?
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

PHLBOS

Quote from: NE2 on March 04, 2013, 03:58:28 PMit is an interesting trivia question: where can you see a sign for I-76/Denver east of the Mississippi?
Along US 222.   

GPS does NOT equal GOD

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.