News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Recent posts

Photos, Videos, and More / Re: New York State Roads
Last post by vdeane - Today at 08:23:17 PM
Quote from: D-Dey65 on May 12, 2024, 09:31:44 PMI'll check out your updates for the Long Island Expressway soon. In the meantime, I have to ask about a couple of Taconic State Parkway images on Wikimedia Commons;

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/d3/TSPnRoad-MountainsideClimb_%2839583028975%29.jpg/640px-TSPnRoad-MountainsideClimb_%2839583028975%29.jpg

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/e6/TSPnRoad-MountainsideNarrows_%2839768451054%29.jpg/640px-TSPnRoad-MountainsideNarrows_%2839768451054%29.jpg
Do those look like Southern Putnam County between West Mahopac and Fahnestock State Park to anyone else but me?

BTW, the exit with NY 301 still needs serious reconstruction.

The I-495 list update is a fix to the description, taking out the common roadgeek assumption that eastern extension plans were definitivly for a crossing to CT or RI.  The I-678 one is even more minor; I fixed a typo in the title.  Probably wouldn't even be worth reporting if not for the fact that each page has a timestamp of its last update on the bottom.

As for those Taconic photos, I agree.

Quote from: D-Dey65 on May 12, 2024, 09:41:36 PMBoat wash station?
https://nysroads.com/images/gallery/NY/i87a/102_2370-s.JPG
Why don't we see these more often?
Good question.  That one in particular was installed when the rest area was upgraded into a welcome center to help control invasive species in Lake George and the rest of the Adirondacks.
Central States / Re: Missouri
Last post by LilianaUwU - Today at 08:05:07 PM
Quote from: Plutonic Panda on Today at 06:01:17 PM
Quote from: LilianaUwU on May 12, 2024, 09:20:58 PM
Quote from: Plutonic Panda on May 12, 2024, 09:16:06 PM
Quote from: 74/171FAN on May 12, 2024, 06:49:41 PM
Quote from: ozarkman417 on May 12, 2024, 06:13:35 PMIf MoDOT builds a flyover from SB Route 13 to EB I-44.. that new Take 5 car wash may or may not be in the way. If it is, good riddance. The amount of new car washes constructed in Springfield these past couple of years is ridiculous.

Car wash mania seems to be all over the place these days.
You aren't kidding. Everytime I come back to OKC once every 4-6 months or so I see a new car wash.
I bet quite a few of them are money laundering schemes.
It is so funny you mention that. I've thought of that myself. I even joked with a cousin of mine that breaking bad gave me that idea.
I'm getting the same feeling about them as I do Mattress Firm.
And the Brent Spence Bridge itself.
Pacific Southwest / Re: Why I-5's most popular sto...
Last post by brad2971 - Today at 07:56:35 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on Today at 04:39:05 PMAt present moment here are the 87 octane prices is the Kettleman City area on Gas Buddy:

Off 41

Shell:  $5.77
Chevron:  $5.78

Off 269

EZ Trip:  $4.99 (listed cash price)

Until recently the Kettleman Stations were all charging well over $6 for 87.  When I passed through last year the prices were about $6.70 in Kettleman and about $4.60-$4.80 in Lemoore.

And just 30 miles down I-5 at Lost Hills, prices are around $.70/gal cheaper: https://www.autoblog.com/lost+hills-ca-gas-prices/

Also, can Caltrans D6 give any reason why SR 269 can't be used as a detour? https://dot.ca.gov/caltrans-near-me/district-6/district-6-projects/06-0v110

Off-Topic / Re: Changing one letter of a t...
Last post by GaryV - Today at 07:51:11 PM
Huddle Louse No Longer A Southern Chain - Not gonna go there
Road Enthusiasts Meetings / June 8, 2024: DE 1/16 road mee...
Last post by Alps - Today at 07:40:26 PM
https://deldot.gov/projects/index.shtml?dc=details&projectNumber=T201500301

Looks like we have until July before traffic moves onto the new bridge. That doesn't leave ALL that much time to see this under construction. Right now I see a gap in meets until June 22. I hereby suggest June 8 as a good date to get down and see construction there. Since it's not all that close to me, I welcome others' input as to what can be paired with this project to make it into a meet, and help co-hosting, if this is going to happen.

Thanks to @74/171FAN for bringing this idea back to life!
Northeast / Re: What is it with I-95 & bri...
Last post by abqtraveler - Today at 07:08:11 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on May 12, 2024, 08:44:12 PM
Quote from: DJStephens on May 07, 2024, 12:47:37 PMany replacement structure really ought to have greater horizontal clearance.  At least one of the backwalls was damaged by heat would imagine.   

There's a jersey barrier, 3 or 4 feet of flat concrete, then the wall. Seems adequate.

Agreed. Design a longer structure in case CTDOT gets around to widening I-95 through that area at some point.
Quote from: roadman65 on May 12, 2024, 08:45:08 AMThat's what Jacksonville will become. Like IH 610 around Houston, it once was a good bypass, but developers built along it to expand the city and now it's an urban loop.   Give Jacksonville time. Heck I remember when the 429 opened west of Orlando how nice it was in 2006.  I even said this will soon change and so did it. Now drive SR 429 from I-4 to Floridas Turnpike on the west leg and it's all homes and suburban in nature 18 years later.

BTW give SH 99 time. It will develop as well and be a new place for newbies to Southeast Texas. Homes, businesses, shopping centers, and apartments will line the Grand Parkway for sure.

I find it mildly amusing that Jacksonville also is getting it's own secondary, tolled beltway in the form of the First Coast Expressway. It's currently only being built as a quarter loop from I-10 to I-95 in the Southwest side of the metro, but it still works, in theory, as a bypass of Jacksonville for traffic going onto I-10.

I also remember going to a home builder for an interview a couple months ago and seeing a northern arc of the Expressway to I-95 in Nassau County near the state line mapped out as a possible future development corridor (Couldn't snap a photo sadly). However, Nassau County is very anti-suburban growth compared to St John's and Clay County and the northwest side of I-295 already doesn't see as much development or traffic so I doubt they'll announce or build it anytime soon.
Southeast / Re: Interstate 42
Last post by wdcrft63 - Today at 06:57:24 PM
Quote from: Life in Paradise on Today at 01:42:16 PM
Quote from: Henry on May 10, 2024, 10:17:42 PM
Quote from: Life in Paradise on May 10, 2024, 12:59:00 PMI still cringe every time I see I 40 take the south turn to Wilmington and think that NC has received approval for I-87 from Norfolk/Virginia Beach to Raleigh. An east/west interstate runs south for over 100 miles just to get to the Atlantic, where as another interstate comes from the Atlantic and travels over 100 miles mostly east/west and is numbered north/south.    :confused:

Methinks you wouldn't like the routings of I-26 or I-85, either. But they've been so well-established for decades that there'd be no use in changing them now.
I'm not crazy about I-26 either after they extended it to the Virginia line.  I-85, I'm not as bad with as a diagonal main trunk line, except I would have continued it down to Mobile and terminated I-65 in Montgomery (initial intereste plan) and then with all the population gains, run it down near Dothan and Tallahasee down the Florida Gulf Coast to Tampa.
I agree, but outside of Highway Nerdistan no one cares. People in Asheville certainly have strong opinions about NCDOT's plans for I-26 but they don't include any complaints about the number.

BTW I agree that the lack of an interstate leading SE from Montgomery into Florida is one of the most glaring gaps in the system. Unfortunately Alabama doesn't seem to have any interest in building it.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.