News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

I-80 Reroute in Wyoming

Started by Plutonic Panda, January 31, 2022, 05:48:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SectorZ

Quote from: hbelkins on February 04, 2022, 02:04:36 PM
Quote from: Rothman on February 03, 2022, 09:46:55 PM
Quote from: froggie on February 03, 2022, 03:15:01 PM
^^ Kentucky doesn't have the acute and persistent drifting problems that those other states do.
You mean Kentucky isn't geographically or meteorologically representative of the entire country, let alone Wyoming?  Imagine that. :D

The point is, Kentucky's attitude is "throw the resources at it to keep the road open." In the past few years, we've even developed an "emergency route" plan that creates a "superpriority" system. Interstates and parkways are already Priority A routes, but the emergency system would basically move all resources to them (or to the emergency routes designated in each county.)

The plains and upper midwest states would rather just close the roads than do what it takes to keep them open. And the citizenry is OK with that. It's not the case here. We certainly haven't spoiled drivers with a "black pavement" policy but there's an expectation that main roads will remain open unless they're physically blocked.

The bigger problem is wind, not snow, and that's what causes the shutdowns. Even with perfectly clear roads, 75 MPH wind gusts will tip over many tractor trailers. Most everywhere in the nation has higher winds in the winter so the winds coincide with the snow.

Zonie

Indeed.  This was a truck driver that ignored a closure on this stretch of I-80 (near Elk Mountain).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_wnG_iW9So

hbelkins

Quote from: Zonie on February 05, 2022, 04:57:28 PM
Indeed.  This was a truck driver that ignored a closure on this stretch of I-80 (near Elk Mountain).

Was the road closed only to trucks? Because there are a whole lot of other vehicles on the road.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

kwellada

Well, that one is going to be hard to 'splain away to the insurance company and police.

In January 2006 I moved from Denver to Seattle and took the Uhaul on I-80 in Wyoming rather than deal with I-70's mountains. While the weather was "fine", the normal winds resulted in at least an hour of white knuckle driving at slow speeds. I do not want to experience it in an actual storm.

brad2971

Quote from: froggie on February 05, 2022, 12:18:04 AM
Quote from: hbelkins on February 04, 2022, 02:04:36 PM
Quote from: Rothman on February 03, 2022, 09:46:55 PM
Quote from: froggie on February 03, 2022, 03:15:01 PM
^^ Kentucky doesn't have the acute and persistent drifting problems that those other states do.
You mean Kentucky isn't geographically or meteorologically representative of the entire country, let alone Wyoming?  Imagine that. :D

The point is, Kentucky's attitude is "throw the resources at it to keep the road open." In the past few years, we've even developed an "emergency route" plan that creates a "superpriority" system. Interstates and parkways are already Priority A routes, but the emergency system would basically move all resources to them (or to the emergency routes designated in each county.)

The plains and upper midwest states would rather just close the roads than do what it takes to keep them open. And the citizenry is OK with that. It's not the case here. We certainly haven't spoiled drivers with a "black pavement" policy but there's an expectation that main roads will remain open unless they're physically blocked.

Having grown up out "on the prairie", there is only so much you can do before you have to just give up because it is not safe for the plow operators to keep going or emergency personnel to constantly respond to defiant motorists.  Roads will fill up with blowing snow faster than the plows can take it off.  So yes, it makes a lot of sense to close the road instead of "doing whatever it takes"...

Here in Colorado, CDOT's crews do everything they can 24/7 to keep I-70 and I-25, even US40 and SH82 west of Aspen open.

On the eastern plains, not so much: https://www.google.com/maps/@39.2713562,-103.6774484,3a,37.5y,26.44h,86.22t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s9-gCOg1cKlnc_S0ow0l65w!2e0!7i16384!8i8192   And usually, I-70 east from E-470 to the Kansas line is closed before one even reaches that place I linked.

MCRoads

These might be even more impractical than rerouting the interstate, but...

Ok, so if wind is the problem, the Netherlands has a sol!

Or, you could build a snow shed over the problematic areas. It works for railroads, so why can't it work for regular roads?
I build roads on Minecraft. Like, really good roads.
Interstates traveled:
4/5/10*/11**/12**/15/25*/29*/35(E/W[TX])/40*/44**/49(LA**)/55*/64**/65/66*/70°/71*76(PA*,CO*)/78*°/80*/95°/99(PA**,NY**)

*/** indicates a terminus/termini being traveled
° Indicates a gap (I.E Breezwood, PA.)

more room plz

Plutonic Panda

I was thinking that as well. Would building a permanent structure over the road be cheaper than moving it?

SD Mapman

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on February 07, 2022, 11:17:11 AM
I was thinking that as well. Would building a permanent structure over the road be cheaper than moving it?
That would be an incredibly long permanent structure...

Quote from: hbelkins on February 05, 2022, 08:31:40 PM

Was the road closed only to trucks? Because there are a whole lot of other vehicles on the road.
They do have "Closed to light and high-profile vehicles" on I-80 a good bit of the winter, even when it's open to regular traffic. As to how well that's enforced... I went from Cheyenne to Laramie when one of those was on and only about 20% of the trucks turned back.
The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. - G.K. Chesterton

Plutonic Panda

Quote from: SD Mapman on February 07, 2022, 12:26:22 PM
Quote from: Plutonic Panda on February 07, 2022, 11:17:11 AM
That would be an incredibly long permanent structure...
Would it be needed the entire length?

silverback1065

Quote from: MCRoads on February 07, 2022, 11:14:50 AM

Or, you could build a snow shed over the problematic areas. It works for railroads, so why can't it work for regular roads?

potentially a good idea. since planting trees would take too long, the trees would need to grow large and that takes time.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: silverback1065 on February 07, 2022, 12:47:17 PM

potentially a good idea. since planting trees would take too long, the trees would need to grow large and that takes time.

If trees could grow there with all that wind, there would already be trees in the area.  It's desolate out there.

silverback1065

Quote from: JayhawkCO on February 07, 2022, 12:49:26 PM
Quote from: silverback1065 on February 07, 2022, 12:47:17 PM

If trees could grow there with all that wind, there would already be trees in the area.  It's desolate out there.

good point, they'd just blow away  :-D

seicer

So we are now proposing to construct snowsheds used in avalanche areas all across Wyoming?

Plutonic Panda

Quote from: seicer on February 07, 2022, 01:05:44 PM
So we are now proposing to construct snowsheds used in avalanche areas all across Wyoming?
I didn't realize I-80 in "all of Wyoming"  was only 100 miles across.

US 89

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on February 07, 2022, 01:10:52 PM

The point still stands...

Plutonic Panda

Quote from: US 89 on February 07, 2022, 01:37:29 PM
Quote from: Plutonic Panda on February 07, 2022, 01:10:52 PM

The point still stands...
It would be expensive but would it be more than building a new interstate for 100 miles? If the cover option went forward would it be needed for the entire 100 miles of the road?

triplemultiplex

Trees can grow just fine in wind.  There's not enough precipitation in the area in question to sustain them. That's the limiting factor.  It's an arid environment. So one would need to irrigate a living windbreak of trees.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

JayhawkCO

Quote from: triplemultiplex on February 07, 2022, 03:04:25 PM
Trees can grow just fine in wind.  There's not enough precipitation in the area in question to sustain them. That's the limiting factor.  It's an arid environment. So one would need to irrigate a living windbreak of trees.

From the University of Wyoming, "In many places, winds blow from the west, southwest, or northwest most of the time. A tree planted in an open area on the west or northwest side of a lot or a structure will be exposed to harsh, drying, and potentially damaging winds."  Not saying water isn't also a big culprit, but again, there is a reason that there are no native trees around there.

DenverBrian

Railroads are about 20 feet wide for single track, 40 feet for double track. Probably no more than 20 feet high. Usually used for spot situations where the snow shed is perhaps 1,000 feet long.

I-80 is probably 150 feet wide in that area. 75 feet wide if you "shed" the travel lanes individually. In many areas, the travel lanes are separated by hundreds of feet, so you'd definitely have to build two sheds.

All this, not for a few 1,000 foot chunks, but perhaps 100 miles continuous. The ENTIRE LENGTH is a "problematic area." It might be cheaper to actually just dig down 25 feet and roof the result. So, $20B instead of $50B.

Short answer: Not practical.

kkt

I remember lots of double-stacked containers on trains in Wyoming.  Maybe allow 21' high.

DenverBrian

Quote from: kkt on February 08, 2022, 04:37:49 AM
I remember lots of double-stacked containers on trains in Wyoming.  Maybe allow 21' high.

Good catch. Post edited. Doesn't change the gist of it.

roadfro

If you've got 11 minutes, here's a WYDOT video from about 5 years ago that'll tell you everything you ever wanted to know about Wyoming's high winds and their effect on highways.

Around the 2:00 mark, it mentions the wind criteria WYDOT uses to prompt advisories and closures. At about 3:30-4:00, there's a map that shows all the major locations of high winds and a slide covering the most common blow-over locations, most of which being in the area discussed about a reroute. Later on, it mentions some of the winter maintenance concerns related to winds.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

JayhawkCO

Super cool video.  And for our Eastern brethren, an explanation of Wyoming is quite a bit different than your states and winds.

MCRoads

Quote from: DenverBrian on February 07, 2022, 07:44:55 PM
Railroads are about 20 feet wide for single track, 40 feet for double track. Probably no more than 20 feet high. Usually used for spot situations where the snow shed is perhaps 1,000 feet long.

I-80 is probably 150 feet wide in that area. 75 feet wide if you "shed" the travel lanes individually. In many areas, the travel lanes are separated by hundreds of feet, so you'd definitely have to build two sheds.

All this, not for a few 1,000 foot chunks, but perhaps 100 miles continuous. The ENTIRE LENGTH is a "problematic area." It might be cheaper to actually just dig down 25 feet and roof the result. So, $20B instead of $50B.

I think you didn't read this part:
I build roads on Minecraft. Like, really good roads.
Interstates traveled:
4/5/10*/11**/12**/15/25*/29*/35(E/W[TX])/40*/44**/49(LA**)/55*/64**/65/66*/70°/71*76(PA*,CO*)/78*°/80*/95°/99(PA**,NY**)

*/** indicates a terminus/termini being traveled
° Indicates a gap (I.E Breezwood, PA.)

more room plz

DenverBrian

Quote from: MCRoads on February 12, 2022, 08:07:54 PM
Quote from: DenverBrian on February 07, 2022, 07:44:55 PM

I think you didn't read this part:
Oh, I read it. "Might be even more impractical?" Honestly?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.