News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Random Thoughts

Started by kenarmy, March 29, 2021, 10:25:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: D-Dey65 on January 31, 2022, 12:16:51 PM
Quote from: Takumi on January 16, 2022, 03:44:33 PM
Remember that brief period in the late 1990s when swing music was really popular, then just disappeared again seemingly overnight? That was weird.
That trend emerged from Third-wave Ska music, believe it or not. However, Joe Jackson tried to start a swing revival in 1981 with his "Jumpin' Jive" album, and it wasn't as well-received.

Yeah, I remember that.  Funny thing is it was pre-internet. 

Seems the internet has been responsible for things being a fiery hot trend then disappearing and everyone acting like they weren't obsessed with it just a few months ago.

Gangnam Style
The Harlem Shake
Uptown Funk
That dress that was blue/black or white/gold
Those two lamas
Zombies
Bacon
Ninjas
What Does the Fox Say?
Despacito
Laurel or Yanny
The Kiki Challenge
Ice Bucket Challenge
Chilli Pepper Challenge
The Mannequin Challenge
Tiger King
Squid Game

All of these qualify as the same thing.  Something everyone was talking about non stop and then if you ask those same people about it today they will have no recollection of it existing, much less being complete obsessed with it when it was big.   The internet helps with information being almost real time. Someone says this is popular and everyone gets that information immediately. Conversely someone says this is no longer cool and everyone gets that information immediately that they now need to move on to the next thing.   

I understand it now.  Something that came and went in the 90s is strange.  Fads have come and gone for ages, but in today's world they can explode and then completely vanish in literally a week.  I am fascinated with that.  Not the fads, no.  I am fascinated with people I know shutting down their lives completely for this fad, then later acting like they didn't shut their lives down for that fad. 

Takumi

Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on January 31, 2022, 12:52:59 PM
Remember that brief period in the late 1990s when swing music was really popular, then just disappeared again seemingly overnight? That was weird.
That trend emerged from Third-wave Ska music, believe it or not. However, Joe Jackson tried to start a swing revival in 1981 with his "Jumpin' Jive" album, and it wasn't as well-received.

Yeah, I remember that.  Funny thing is it was pre-internet. 

Seems the internet has been responsible for things being a fiery hot trend then disappearing and everyone acting like they weren't obsessed with it just a few months ago.

Gangnam Style
The Harlem Shake
Uptown Funk
Those two lamas
Zombies
Bacon
Ninjas
What Does the Fox Say?
Despacito
Laurel or Yanny
The Kiki Challenge
Ice Bucket Challenge
Chilli Pepper Challenge
The Mannequin Challenge
Tiger King
Squid Game

All of these qualify as the same thing.  Something everyone was talking about non stop and then if you ask those same people about it today they will have no recollection of it existing, much less being complete obsessed with it when it was big.   The internet helps with information being almost real time. Someone says this is popular and everyone gets that information immediately. Conversely someone says this is no longer cool and everyone gets that information immediately that they now need to move on to the next thing.   

I understand it now.  Something that came and went in the 90s is strange.  Fads have come and gone for ages, but in today's world they can explode and then completely vanish in literally a week.  I am fascinated with that.  Not the fads, no.  I am fascinated with people I know shutting down their lives completely for this fad, then later acting like they didn't shut their lives down for that fad. 

I'm sure it had happened before, too. The swing revival was notably preserved by some 90s sitcoms making episodes involving it. Friends and Home Improvement off the top of my head, and a third (I want to say Just Shoot Me, but not 100% on that) where two of the main characters are looking to join a swing dancing club but inadvertently join a swingers' sex club. I'm also watching through Frasier currently and wouldn't be surprised if there's an episode mentioning it.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

formulanone

Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on January 31, 2022, 12:52:59 PM

Gotta say that's still somewhat fascinating to me, because photographic white balance can really distort the perception of colors. 

Quote from: Takumi on January 31, 2022, 05:38:56 PM

Ah yes, Squirrel Nut Zippers were huge for about 2-3 months. "Hot" is still a fun listen.

Someone remarked that it was an amazing surprise hit, since it was difficult to get airplay for a genre that fit few radio stations' patterns. (I don't know if I worded that right.)

allniter89

My mothers' fav dance was the Swing, she said it was sooo much fun. She was in her 70s, she ballroom danced til she was 90.
I enjoy Brian Seltzers' Orchestra music occasionaly. I prefer Rock n Roll tho!
BUY AMERICAN MADE.
SPEED SAFELY.

allniter89

This posts' purpose is to raise my post count past six six six. to 667 :awesomeface:
BUY AMERICAN MADE.
SPEED SAFELY.

Scott5114

Quote from: allniter89 on February 01, 2022, 12:55:39 AM
This posts' purpose is to raise my post count past six six six. to 667 :awesomeface:

It didn't work. :P
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

LilianaUwU

Quote from: Scott5114 on February 01, 2022, 03:12:36 AM
Quote from: allniter89 on February 01, 2022, 12:55:39 AM

It didn't work. :P

Shenanigans, I tell you!  :pan:
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

kevinb1994

Quote from: allniter89 on January 31, 2022, 10:47:04 PM

My mothers' fav dance was the Swing, she said it was sooo much fun. She was in her 70s, she ballroom danced til she was 90.
I enjoy Brian Setzer's Orchestra music occasionaly. I prefer Rock n Roll tho!
FIFY

I'm a fan of Setzer myself ("˜Rock This Town' is one for the ages, and he put out a Christmas album some years ago), but I haven't listened to him in awhile. Rock and roll will never die, of course.

noelbotevera

Force is the derivative of energy, and the derivative of force is momentum. Meaning that momentum is somehow a more significant quantity than force (because the second derivative is the most useful).
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

kkt

First year calculus?

noelbotevera

Quote from: kkt on February 02, 2022, 08:01:18 PM
First year calculus?
College physics, actually. Basic college physics.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

US 89

Quote from: noelbotevera on February 02, 2022, 06:46:18 PM
Force is the derivative of energy, and the derivative of force is momentum. Meaning that momentum is somehow a more significant quantity than force (because the second derivative is the most useful).

Hm? Force is the derivative of momentum with respect to time (F = m*a = m*dv/dt = dp/dt).

Max Rockatansky

If something is "out of order"  was it once "in of order?"

noelbotevera

Quote from: US 89 on February 02, 2022, 10:08:00 PM
Quote from: noelbotevera on February 02, 2022, 06:46:18 PM

Hm? Force is the derivative of momentum with respect to time (F = m*a = m*dv/dt = dp/dt).
I have this backwards. Impulse is the integration of force w.r.t time, but energy (or rather work) is the integration of force with respect to displacement. Deriving force in that scenario (with respect to displacement) results in...I think jerk, because it's assumed that mass is constant.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

LilianaUwU

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 02, 2022, 10:10:07 PM

I mean, it would be awkward to say it like that, so I guess that's why we call that situation "working as expected".
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

Scott5114

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 02, 2022, 10:10:07 PM

No, it just means that the order it contains has been depleted and more order needs to be supplied at the next available opportunity.

Flint1979

I thought this was rather cool. Yesterday as I was driving on SB I-75 heading to Detroit a bunch of traffic got jammed up in the two lane stretch between the US-23 split and the south end of I-475. A Dodge Journey with Texas license plates decides to start weaving in and out of traffic and punching it. When we got up to the point where I-475 dumps into I-75 south and a third lane is added from I-475's off ramp the Dodge Journey punched it and was doing over 100 mph. About 10 miles down the road near the Grange Hall exit a Michigan State trooper had the Dodge Journey pulled over, I started laughing when I saw that it was the Dodge Journey that had been blowing around all the traffic. It had a different colored tailgate than the rest of the vehicle. I loved seeing that though.

GaryV

Kids don't know how good they have it these days.  When I was young, I had to walk through 9 feet of shag carpet to change the channel on the TV.

zachary_amaryllis

Quote from: GaryV on February 06, 2022, 12:49:22 PM
Kids don't know how good they have it these days.  When I was young, I had to walk through 9 feet of shag carpet to change the channel on the TV.

when I was a kid, the only tv we got up here was a fuzzy-at-best channel 5 out of cheyenne, unless you wanted to shell out serious cash for the old c-band satellite. so, no channel-changing, but frequent knocking-snow-off-the-antenna.

now i have 500 channels of directv and don't even miss stupid channel 5.
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

kurumi

Some states favor extruded signs (see other thread). Other states favor increment.

Craig County takes a little from the former, and the rest from the latter :-)
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

Scott5114

That took me a minute. :-D

1995hoo

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

D-Dey65

Ugh, another good website is dead, and Internet Archives won't preserve it.

Some guy who called himself "railkid" used to have a website which included a guide to the railroad regulatory signs, and now it's gone:
http://railkid.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/NORACSignalRules3.png

Flint1979

I mentioned it awhile ago but we have a county in Michigan that uses the same type of font for street signs that the famous or infamous maybe Craig County sign uses. The Michigan county that does this is Tuscola.

D-Dey65

What other signs are in the "RG Series" of the MUTCD besides this one?

Because I looked on the source link for that sign, and it's dead.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.