News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Random Thoughts

Started by kenarmy, March 29, 2021, 10:25:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

formulanone

Quote from: tolbs17 on March 07, 2022, 11:13:50 AM
Quote from: kphoger on March 07, 2022, 11:09:25 AM
Exactly.  Then we can start a discussion about whether "interchanges" was ever an approved alternative, or if they're used in subtly different circumstances, or if it's a state-specific thing, or whatever.
Might as well do that, also there was this thread too but I'm not bumping it because it's a topic that has been discussed almost 9 years ago so it has some inactive members on it such as (agentsteel53, Kacie Jane, etc)

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=9237.0

I don't mind seeing old posts bumped, as long as there's relevant content, seeing some old names and getting a chance to see posts I missed beforehand is welcome.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: 1 on March 07, 2022, 10:37:00 AM
I do not recommend the forum chatroom; they're hostile to chat newcomers, even me.

This is not true. At all.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

LilianaUwU

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on March 07, 2022, 01:15:18 PM
I do not recommend the forum chatroom; they're hostile to chat newcomers, even me.

I can confirm that it isn't true, as I've been welcomed with open arms.
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

kphoger

Quote from: LilianaUwU on March 07, 2022, 03:58:31 PM

Are you sure, madam, that it's not just because you're a lily among thorns?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

thspfc

Quote from: kphoger on March 07, 2022, 04:01:55 PM

Are you sure, madam, that it's not just because you're a lily among thorns?
That's exactly why.

Max Rockatansky

I'm not a regular in forum chat I've never been anything but welcomed in there when I do visit.  I talk to a lot of the regulars in a Facebook Messenger group chat given it is way easier to use on my phone than forum chat.  Even when I tried TapTalk I found forum chat to be difficult from a phone. 

CNGL-Leudimin

I'm also not a regular on the chat, simply because it is most active when I'm asleep. The downside of being in a time zone well ahead of most of you. At least I can take advantage of that to create New Year threads at 6 p.m. Eastern :sombrero:. I remember tolbs17 created one of his quantity-over-quality threads on such topic, without even noticing my now traditional time traveling one.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

hotdogPi

Changing the subject: I've done about 15 miles of walking, mostly in dense housing areas, since the war started, and I have not seen a single Ukrainian flag. Is this typical?
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

jlam

The forum chat is acting weird for me. It's saying "This IP address is invalid."  What's that about?

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: 1 on March 07, 2022, 07:58:14 PM
Changing the subject: I've done about 15 miles of walking, mostly in dense housing areas, since the war started, and I have not seen a single Ukrainian flag. Is this typical?

Is it typical to Ukrainian flags in New England?  I didn't even know what the Ukrainian flag looked like until a bunch of people made it their Facebook profile picture.  I've never seen an actual Ukrainian flag out in the world.  I suspect more people than not aren't paying attention to the war in the Ukrainian and on other things closer to home.

tolbs17

Quote from: jlam on March 07, 2022, 08:03:34 PM
The forum chat is acting weird for me. It's saying "This IP address is invalid."  What's that about?
I'm getting the same issue with the chat, however I get a different message it says "User or IP is banned.".

hotdogPi

Quote from: tolbs17 on March 07, 2022, 09:11:55 PM
I'm getting the same issue with the chat, however I get a different message it says "User or IP is banned.".

I believe you actually are banned, based on what you've said before (it happened a few years ago).
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

Alps

Quote from: tolbs17 on March 07, 2022, 10:34:54 AM
Quote from: kphoger on March 07, 2022, 10:26:39 AM
Quote from: tolbs17 on March 07, 2022, 04:25:43 AM
I try my best to make them interesting for them to see what I'm talking about.

It's a forum.  The bulk of your activity should be focused on engaging people in a conversation, not just posting something you hope someone will be interested in seeing.
I get that it's a forum but I don't know what chatroom that's related to roads or any roadgeeks that I can talk to in person about my nitpicks.

I've met with SectorZ and noelbotevera in person, as well as going to one roadmeet and hanging out the most with PHLBOS during that roadmeet.

Mostly just you. A lot of newcomers are welcome.

1995hoo

Quote from: 1 on March 07, 2022, 07:58:14 PM

Ukrainian flags are in high demand and are hard to find right now–similar to how US flags were very hard to find after 9-11. I have one that came in today's mail, but I'm not flying it (or any flag) right now because of bad weather. Hopefully the weather will allow me to fly it tomorrow.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

tolbs17

Quote from: 1 on March 07, 2022, 09:18:17 PM

I believe you actually are banned, based on what you've said before (it happened a few years ago).
Few years ago? That would be in 2019 and 2020. Wasn't very active

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: tolbs17 on March 07, 2022, 09:35:40 PM
Quote from: 1 on March 07, 2022, 09:18:17 PM

Few years ago? That would be in 2019 and 2020. Wasn't very active

More activity was obviously not the solution.

jlam

I might be banned too. Alps was acting a little weird to me while I was on there earlier.

Alps

Quote from: jlam on March 07, 2022, 09:46:14 PM
I might be banned too. Alps was acting a little weird to me while I was on there earlier.
You weren't exactly chatting.

kenarmy

its ok bestie i can get to the chat sometimes but then i get autobanned soon after  :-P.
Just a reminder that US 6, 49, 50, and 98 are superior to your fave routes :)

EXTEND 206 SO IT CAN MEET ITS PARENT.

webny99

Quote from: kenarmy on March 07, 2022, 11:35:09 PM
its ok bestie i can get to the chat sometimes but then i get autobanned soon after  :-P.

I think it kicks you out after a certain length of time without saying anything.

I didn't feel welcome, but I simultaneously decided it wasn't a good fit for me anyways. I'm better with thought-out communication than spontaneous.

zachary_amaryllis

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on March 07, 2022, 01:15:18 PM

i pop in sometimes, and the conversation can be interesting.
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

JoePCool14

I'm graduating university in a couple months and I'm looking forward to being out of school.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 65+ Clinches | 280+ Traveled | 8800+ Miles Logged

kkt

Quote from: JoePCool14 on March 09, 2022, 12:49:16 PM
I'm graduating university in a couple months and I'm looking forward to being out of school.

Congratulations!  It's a good time to be entering the job market.

Scott5114

Other forums are still having DST threads...and they look exactly the same as AARoads DST threads used to. The only thing different is the usernames.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

kurumi

Warning... this reply contains the S-word...

A really thorough ESL course will need to devote a lecture to the proper use of the word shit. It's more than just a scatalogical term. It's a multipurpose metaphor that warps the grammar around it and has surprising nuance.

"Wawa is the shit" means it's good. But "Wawa is shit" means it's bad. However, "Wawa ain't shit" is also bad.

"He doesn't know shit" and "He knows his shit" are semantic opposites, but the role of the word "shit" in each is not as directly opposite. In fact, it's difficult to find a non-shit word that can be substituted in both sentences and still sound natural. Try it!

As George Carlin pointed out long ago, you don't "take a shit", you leave one. Meaning, "shit" can completely negate the meaning of nearby verbs.

As noted in Taro Gomi's book, "Everyone Poops". And various types of animal scat convey specific meanings. Yes, often "bullshit", "horseshit" and "dogshit" can be interchanged. Ticketmaster service fees can be described with any of those. But a good-natured "I'm just bullshitting you" cannot be swapped with "horse" or "dog". It doesn't sound right.

"Bat shit" has its own specific meaning (crazy), as does "ape shit" (belligerent).

The other colloquial uses are not as subtle or difficult to master.
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.