News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Random Thoughts

Started by kenarmy, March 29, 2021, 10:25:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

formulanone

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on March 05, 2023, 05:54:26 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on March 05, 2023, 05:31:49 PM
Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on March 05, 2023, 10:58:04 AM
I guess my random thought on this comes down to:

I wish they would use common sense and not require you to go exactly the speed limit to avoid tickets for either impeding traffic or speeding, like give you some leeway on each side as long as you aren't driving like an idiot, but unfortunately they don't in the nanny atates.

They don't give you leeway because they want an excuse to pull you over. It's not a lack of common sense–they are doing it intentionally.

Exactly. If you go exactly the speed limit and in the right lane, they'll say:

"Why are you trying so hard not to look suspicious..that's suspicious!"

Do what everyone else is doing, subtract 5%, and you're golden.

Don't manufacture an excuses like these or you'll go neurotic.

I've never gotten a ticket for doing the speed limit, except for a warning when my tag was expired (and had purchased a new registration sticker that I was picking up that very day).

Max Rockatansky

A good way to look suspicious is trying to not look suspicious. 

Scott5114

If I were ever pulled over for doing exactly the speed limit, I'd just say "I set my cruise control to the speed limit so I don't speed." It's the truth.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Flint1979

Why would any cop waste their time pulling over someone doing the speed limit? Someone driving the way you are supposed to drive? They are looking for people breaking the law, not people following the law.

LilianaUwU

Don't get me started on abuse of power by the police.
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

Scott5114

Quote from: Flint1979 on March 06, 2023, 07:38:18 PM
Why would any cop waste their time pulling over someone doing the speed limit? Someone driving the way you are supposed to drive? They are looking for people breaking the law, not people following the law.

They want to establish probable cause for a search. Maybe the driver is a minority they don't like, or they have out of state plates, or the car matches the description of one they're looking for, or the cop is desperate to meet a quota and is hoping to issue an expired license or proof of insurance ticket, etc.

Flint1979

Quote from: Scott5114 on March 06, 2023, 07:42:24 PM
Quote from: Flint1979 on March 06, 2023, 07:38:18 PM

They want to establish probable cause for a search. Maybe the driver is a minority they don't like, or they have out of state plates, or the car matches the description of one they're looking for, or the cop is desperate to meet a quota and is hoping to issue an expired license or proof of insurance ticket, etc.
Right they profile a lot but if you are going the speed limit then your speed isn't why they are pulling you over.

vdeane

Quote from: formulanone on March 06, 2023, 07:02:37 PM

I wish they would use common sense and not require you to go exactly the speed limit to avoid tickets for either impeding traffic or speeding, like give you some leeway on each side as long as you aren't driving like an idiot, but unfortunately they don't in the nanny atates.

They don't give you leeway because they want an excuse to pull you over. It's not a lack of common sense–they are doing it intentionally.

I've never gotten a ticket for doing the speed limit, except for a warning when my tag was expired (and had purchased a new registration sticker that I was picking up that very day).
Keep in mind that MMM has expressed a pathological dislike of driving in the right hand lane in the past.  Hence the "obstructing traffic" issue with driving at or below the speed limit.  If he was willing to keep right except to pass, it wouldn't be an issue.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: vdeane on March 06, 2023, 08:12:44 PM
Quote from: formulanone on March 06, 2023, 07:02:37 PM

Keep in mind that MMM has expressed a pathological dislike of driving in the right hand lane in the past.  Hence the "obstructing traffic" issue with driving at or below the speed limit.  If he was willing to keep right except to pass, it wouldn't be an issue.
MMM should move to the UK then.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

MultiMillionMiler

If it's a 3 lane road I'll usually stay in the middle lane at 5-10 over if I am not trying to take any ticket chances. If it's 4 lanes, I'll stay in the 2nd most right lane. 5 lanes on each side it depends on traffic, but either lane 2 or 3.

ZLoth

From Futurism:

Gen Z Is Apparently Baffled by Basic Technology
"Sadly, neither watching TikTok videos nor playing Minecraft fulfills the technology brief."
QuoteMembers of Gen Z are entering the workforce with certain types of technological know-how, from navigating the depths of the internet and using apps to editing photos on their smartphones.

But when it comes to using a scanner or printer – or even a file system on a computer – things become a lot more challenging to a generation that has spent much of their lives online, The Guardian reports, a counterintuitive result of workplaces still relying on technologies that were around long before they were born.
FULL ARTICLE HERE
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: ZLoth on March 06, 2023, 10:48:10 PM
From Futurism:

"Sadly, neither watching TikTok videos nor playing Minecraft fulfills the technology brief."
QuoteMembers of Gen Z are entering the workforce with certain types of technological know-how, from navigating the depths of the internet and using apps to editing photos on their smartphones.

But when it comes to using a scanner or printer – or even a file system on a computer – things become a lot more challenging to a generation that has spent much of their lives online, The Guardian reports, a counterintuitive result of workplaces still relying on technologies that were around long before they were born.
FULL ARTICLE HERE
In college, we almost never print things anymore. Assignments are all submitted online.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Hobart

From Futurism:

FULL ARTICLE HERE

I will say, this is on my extremely short list of redeeming qualities! I learned a lot of tricks on my college's printers by working in my college's electrical engineering office, and everything else I can probably find in the manual. I feel like part of this problem may be caused by the "don't look at the manual!" trope.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

kphoger

Quote from: thspfc on March 04, 2023, 07:51:15 PM
I have an above average number of elbows.

I have an above average number of teeth.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

J N Winkler

Quote from: ZLoth on March 06, 2023, 10:48:10 PMFrom Futurism:

FULL ARTICLE HERE

Printers can be a trial even to those who grew up with them and are familiar with them, so to me this is not the man-bites-dog aspect of the story.  I found it surprising and alarming that Generation Z struggles with hierarchical organization of information using files and folders.  There are certain types of data for which even AI-assisted indexation is unnecessarily costly, and there is rarely enough transparency into how search algorithms work to be sure that a given search is returning the complete universe of matches even when the application in hand demands it.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

paulthemapguy

From Futurism:

FULL ARTICLE HERE

Ah yes, another article full of ageism to make the old farts feel less terribly about themselves.
Directing the self-rage at others isn't going to make you feel any better.

Printers have never been functional.  Trying to get my school or college papers in on time usually meant relying on the school computer labs, whose printers would half be broken.  Hell, even now, working in an office, the copy machine is busted every other month.  You can't pin that on the zoomers!
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 391/425. Only 34 route markers remain!

J N Winkler

At the moment I'm going through a stack of highway construction contracts from Chile.  One, for a relocation of Route 11 in Arica, involves a runaway truck ramp, for which the Chilean Spanish term is apparently lecho de frenado.  I think:  milk of stopping?  No, it turns out.  Lecho = bed; lecha = milt (especially when eaten as food); and leche = milk.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

MultiMillionMiler

Quote from: paulthemapguy on March 07, 2023, 04:48:56 PM
From Futurism:

FULL ARTICLE HERE

Ah yes, another article full of ageism to make the old farts feel less terribly about themselves.

Printers have never been functional.  Trying to get my school or college papers in on time usually meant relying on the school computer labs, whose printers would half be broken.  Hell, even now, working in an office, the copy machine is busted every other month.  You can't pin that on the zoomers!

Exactly

Scott5114

Quote from: J N Winkler on March 07, 2023, 03:06:57 PM
Quote from: ZLoth on March 06, 2023, 10:48:10 PMFrom Futurism:

FULL ARTICLE HERE

Printers can be a trial even to those who grew up with them and are familiar with them, so to me this is not the man-bites-dog aspect of the story.  I found it surprising and alarming that Generation Z struggles with hierarchical organization of information using files and folders.  There are certain types of data for which even AI-assisted indexation is unnecessarily costly, and there is rarely enough transparency into how search algorithms work to be sure that a given search is returning the complete universe of matches even when the application in hand demands it.

This is a problem borne mostly of users who mainly interface with the digital world through mobile devices. Both major mobile OSes go out of their way to obscure the organization of the file system, even to those who actively know it exists and want to explore it. Despite having used Android for about a decade at this point, I still find myself mystified trying to figure out where in the file tree it is going to save any individual download or photograph. I'm not sure that there even is a way to access the iOS file tree; on Android it requires downloading an app.

Since mobile users are discouraged from even knowing the underlying file system is there, less curious users would have no concept of one. Thus, it is a big jump transitioning to a traditional OS like Windows or Linux, both of which have interacting with the file system as a core concept (Linux especially, since the file system even contains abstractions of concepts such as printers and network interfaces).

kphoger

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on March 04, 2023, 05:51:43 PM
What if saying I live on Long Island was also a double-bluff?

So...  what if you said you're from Long Island and you're actually from Long Island?  Yes, I'd agree that that's true.  But it doesn't make it a double-bluff.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: kphoger on March 08, 2023, 02:45:50 PM
Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on March 04, 2023, 05:51:43 PM
What if saying I live on Long Island was also a double-bluff?

So...  what if you said you're from Long Island and you're actually from Long Island?  Yes, I'd agree that that's true.  But it doesn't make it a double-bluff.
What if MMM actually lives in Nebraska?

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: kphoger on March 08, 2023, 03:06:57 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on March 08, 2023, 02:57:41 PM

Then he would have driven on a gravel road before.
Maybe MMM is just an advanced ai made by the new urbanists to drive us away from the forum  :bigass:

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on March 08, 2023, 03:11:52 PM
Quote from: kphoger on March 08, 2023, 03:06:57 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on March 08, 2023, 02:57:41 PM

Then he would have driven on a gravel road before.
Maybe MMM is just an advanced ai made by the new urbanists to drive us away from the forum  :bigass:

MMM is just the New Coke version of Tolbs.

formulanone

From Futurism:

But when it comes to using a scanner or printer — or even a file system on a computer — things become a lot more challenging to a generation that has spent much of their lives online, The Guardian reports, a counterintuitive result of workplaces still relying on technologies that were around long before they were born.
FULL ARTICLE HERE

The article isn't far off, but it also makes assumptions and is quick to complain, rather than explain. How trite and unsurprising...and everyone's first month at the job is fraught with mistakes and gaffes.

Maybe it's just coming from a long line of instructors, but you can't assume too much with anyone, because there's always gaps in everyone's knowledge, whether visible or well-shielded. So taking new employees under your wing is more likely to be helpful than not.

I train people on software (and sometimes the basics of Windows) all the time, though in a field where people usually only have a high-school education. Usually, the age group from 18-25 is the most willing to learn without pushback, those from 25-45 have a lot of built-up experience with computers, though a willingness to learn, pushing back one's ego, and a lack of setbacks/distractions help a lot in this case. It's tougher to train a know-in-all or someone who is attentive to their phone and little else in moments of quiet (this applies to a lot of people across the age spectrum), than for someone giving undivided attention in a career field that has plenty of natural distractions.

From there, experience starts to get a little more patchy from there on up. It depends if they'd had some personal experience with computing and PCs in their own "pre-Internet" era or not, when I start to chit-chat with folks about computers and such who are in my age, perhaps +/- 10-15 years. For those kind of in Generation X or older, there seems to be a naïve expectation that computers wouldn't really rule everything around them, that they'd become a tool we'd use when needed. Again, that's from working with people in clerically-specialized fields and those who work with their hands and tools. And if they didn't come from really well-to-do backgrounds or school systems with a greater emphasis on them, they didn't have as much exposure to them until a little later in their lives, since PCs were $1000-3000 items until the last 15-20 years.

When you get to the 55-70 year-olds, it's a challenge. They have a crystallized memory that works well on patterns and imagery, but shaking that for something different is tougher to grasp and there's a fear that it will make them obsolete. Or there's an impenetrable obstinance, because they've seen a lot of change throughout their lives; after all, this "thing" will be consigned to the forgetfulness of the next boss, or something else will "replace it in 5-10 years"...why bother? I get to feel younger and smarter than I really am, though.

As said before, there's not a great reason for my kids today to need to know how to move create directories (folders), move files, rename them, understand file types, and honestly my kids' school systems use a Google Classroom architecture which sort of even obviates the need to install software and organize files accordingly. I mean, I use it all the time but they have little need for it. I show them a few pointers that I figure will help them out but their eyes glaze over a little at this stuff.

By the same token, specialized stuff will always exist; printers are almost a Dark Art existing in mystical portal of form and operation over the last 50 years, each speaking their own mutated design language. They're frustrating as all get-out but they miraculously work about 50% the time.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.