News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Random Thoughts

Started by kenarmy, March 29, 2021, 10:25:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1995hoo

Quote from: Poiponen13 on September 14, 2023, 10:29:48 AM
Its date is determined according to Easter, which always falls in March or April, and in these months, there are already lots of feats leading to Easter, but none similar in August, September or October. So, Gemerton is an August/September holiday for everyone.

Easter sometimes falls in May, according to the Orthodox calendar.

What sort of "feats" lead up to Easter, BTW? Someone rising from the dead seems like quite the feat on its own.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Poiponen13

Quote from: 1995hoo on September 14, 2023, 10:41:35 AM
Its date is determined according to Easter, which always falls in March or April, and in these months, there are already lots of feats leading to Easter, but none similar in August, September or October. So, Gemerton is an August/September holiday for everyone.

Easter sometimes falls in May, according to the Orthodox calendar.

What sort of "feats" lead up to Easter, BTW? Someone rising from the dead seems like quite the feat on its own.
Typo. I meant "feasts".

kphoger

Quote from: Poiponen13 on September 13, 2023, 08:33:07 AM
Happy Gemerton's Day!

Quote from: GaryV on September 13, 2023, 08:55:38 AM
Except in the Southern Hemisphere, where it happens in March.

Quote from: Poiponen13 on September 13, 2023, 12:12:14 PM
What does that mean? Is always happens in September or August.

Quote from: kphoger on September 13, 2023, 12:57:01 PM
It means that Gemerton's Day occurs in March for locations south of the Equator.

Quote from: Poiponen13 on September 14, 2023, 09:39:05 AM
It can't.

It can.

In the Southern Hemisphere, due to South America's long history of liberalism and anti-clericalism, as well as a general decline in religious affiliation, Easter will be severed from its Christian roots in favor of being a generic spring-season holiday.  The date of Easter in the Southern Hemisphere will therefore be moved to the first Sunday on or after September 25.  Next year, therefore, Gemerton's Day in the Southern Hemisphere will be on March 5.

So, Gemerton is an August/September holiday for everyone.

This is not true for the Southern Hemisphere, as already explained.

Quote from: GaryV on September 14, 2023, 10:22:49 AM
Gemerton is a fall holiday, for everyone.

Not always technically not true, because it doesn't always occur after the autumnal equinox in the Northern Hemisphere, and it never does in the Southern Hemisphere.  But yes, it nevertheless functions as the unofficial start to the fall season.

there are already lots of feats leading to Easter

What sort of "feats" lead up to Easter, BTW?

Quote from: Poiponen13 on September 14, 2023, 11:25:11 AM
Typo. I meant "feasts".

As explained above, the date of Easter will be divorced in the Southern Hemisphere from the Christian liturgical calendar, so that point is irrelevant.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

hotdogPi

These three holidays are more important:

AARoads Forum 15th Anniversary Day (January 15, 2024)
Solar Eclipse Day (April 8, 2024)
Taylor Swift Is Old Enough To Be President Day (December 13, 2024)
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

1995hoo

Quote from: kphoger on September 14, 2023, 11:57:21 AM
.... Easter will be severed from its Christian roots ....

That's more or less already happened in the USA anyway.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

GaryV

What does that mean?

It means that Gemerton's Day occurs in March for locations south of the Equator.

It can't. In the same vein, Easter would happen in September in Southern Hemisphere. It does fall in spring rather than fall in Southern Hemisphere, but the thing is that September is a spring month and March a fall month there.

If you can make stuff up, why can't I? Gemerton is a fall holiday, for everyone.
Maybe in your made-up world. But not in my world.

What are these feats leading to Easter? I know the pancake flipping run somewhere in Kansas, and maybe the cheese wheel roll in England?

kkt

Quote from: Poiponen13 on September 13, 2023, 08:33:07 AM
Happy Gemerton's Day!

Quote from: GaryV on September 13, 2023, 08:55:38 AM
Except in the Southern Hemisphere, where it happens in March.

What does that mean? Is always happens in September or August.

It can't.

It can.

In the Southern Hemisphere, due to South America's long history of liberalism and anti-clericalism, as well as a general decline in religious affiliation, Easter will be severed from its Christian roots in favor of being a generic spring-season holiday.  The date of Easter in the Southern Hemisphere will therefore be moved to the first Sunday on or after September 25.  Next year, therefore, Gemerton's Day in the Southern Hemisphere will be on March 5.

So, Gemerton is an August/September holiday for everyone.

This is not true for the Southern Hemisphere, as already explained.

Gemerton is a fall holiday, for everyone.

Not always technically not true, because it doesn't always occur after the autumnal equinox in the Northern Hemisphere, and it never does in the Southern Hemisphere.  But yes, it nevertheless functions as the unofficial start to the fall season.

there are already lots of feats leading to Easter

What sort of "feats" lead up to Easter, BTW?

Quote from: Poiponen13 on September 14, 2023, 11:25:11 AM
Typo. I meant "feasts".

As explained above, the date of Easter will be divorced in the Southern Hemisphere from the Christian liturgical calendar, so that point is irrelevant.

If they want to have a spring holiday, great, more power to them.  But how about finding their own name for it?  Especially if they want it to be a non-religious holiday.

hotdogPi

Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

Scott5114

Speaking of obscure holidays, I just tried to explain my understanding of Nevada Day to someone and it frankly felt like I was writing about a holiday in Alanland. For one thing, one of the traditions involves booing a parade of politicians...
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

CNGL-Leudimin

Well, I conmemorate the "Astronomical Easter Sunday" in the event Easter doesn't actually fall on the Sunday following the first Full Moon after the March equinox, as happened in 2019 when Easter was four weeks too late :sombrero:. I even have added the Pearson Sunday to the one before it (thus the astronomical equivalent to Palm Sunday), which also means the event it commemorates didn't actually take place in one as it was that same year (and also it was impossible for me to have called that day "Pearson Sunday". I was the "Should-have-been-Palm Sunday").
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

kphoger

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on September 14, 2023, 03:30:01 PM
Well, I conmemorate the "Astronomical Easter Sunday" in the event Easter doesn't actually fall on the Sunday following the first Full Moon after the March equinox, as happened in 2019 when Easter was four weeks too late :sombrero:. I even have added the Pearson Sunday to the one before it (thus the astronomical equivalent to Palm Sunday), which also means the event it commemorates didn't actually take place in one as it was that same year (and also it was impossible for me to have called that day "Pearson Sunday". I was the "Should-have-been-Palm Sunday").

You're applying strict astronomical criteria to something that was always a compromise between ecclesiastical and astronomical calendars to begin with?
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

US 89

Quote from: 1995hoo on September 14, 2023, 12:26:13 PM

Not in the South it hasn't. At least not as much as it has in most other regions. This was quite the shock to me after I first moved to Atlanta - Easter is a way bigger deal in these parts than it ever was growing up in Utah.

Rothman

Quote from: US 89 on September 15, 2023, 07:27:30 AM

Not in the South it hasn't. At least not as much as it has in most other regions. This was quite the shock to me after I first moved to Atlanta - Easter is a way bigger deal in these parts than it ever was growing up in Utah.

Easter coincides with The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints' General Conference half the time (first weekend in April) and the Church makes a big deal of it in the conference, but Mormons aren't into putting up banners and crosses and the like in front of their churches like other Christian religions...or message boards, for that matter.  I'd imagine the cultural/religious difference in that regard dampens the overt signs of Easter celebration in Utah.

That said, the best Easters are in Russia.  It's their big religious holiday -- bigger than Christmas (whichever day you choose to celebrate that...or just choose both...).  When I lived in Volgograd, things just seemed depressed for most of the year, but on Easter, the city turned into a big party.  People didn't flood the streets, but everyone opens their doors to visitors.  It's a great, friendly time in contrast to any other day of the year.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kphoger

Quote from: Rothman on September 15, 2023, 07:52:44 AM
That said, the best Easters are in Russia.  It's their big religious holiday -- bigger than Christmas (whichever day you choose to celebrate that...or just choose both...).  When I lived in Volgograd, things just seemed depressed for most of the year, but on Easter, the city turned into a big party.  People didn't flood the streets, but everyone opens their doors to visitors.  It's a great, friendly time in contrast to any other day of the year.

The traditional view in Orthodox Christianity is that both Easter and Pentecost are higher feast days than Christmas.
Male pronouns, please.

Rothman

Quote from: kphoger on September 15, 2023, 10:08:39 AM

The traditional view in Orthodox Christianity is that both Easter and Pentecost are higher feast days than Christmas.
Pentecost wasn't as big of a deal as Easter in Volgograd.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

webny99

Also true of the South in general in contrast to the rest of the country, not just around Easter.

vdeane

When I lived in Volgograd, things just seemed depressed
That's the impression I get of pretty much every former Soviet city when I look at them on street view.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

US 89

Easter coincides with The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints' General Conference half the time (first weekend in April) and the Church makes a big deal of it in the conference, but Mormons aren't into putting up banners and crosses and the like in front of their churches like other Christian religions...or message boards, for that matter.  I'd imagine the cultural/religious difference in that regard dampens the overt signs of Easter celebration in Utah.

Fair. And as someone who isn't Mormon, all I see is conference weekend and all the traffic it generates in the north half of downtown SLC. Any talk I've ever heard afterwards tends to be simply about how nice Elder John M. Smith and President Q. George Barlow's talks were. The fact that the whole experience repeats in October kills any association I might get between the April conference and Easter.

But beyond that, in the west Easter seems to be just another Sunday on the calendar, though with some uniquely religious significance. Kind of like Pentecost but a bit bigger. People of any Christian denomination who don't usually make the effort to go to church might find themselves at one on Easter morning, but that's really it. In lots of the South, it's a really important holiday where large extended families will reunite and hang out to a much greater extent than just going to church Sunday morning. It's nearly on par with Thanksgiving. When I went to college in Atlanta, basically everyone whose parents lived within a 6-8 hour radius would go home for Easter weekend. Campus was real dead on those weekends. That kind of importance was not something I ever saw growing up.

Rothman

Quote from: US 89 on September 16, 2023, 09:12:47 AM

Fair. And as someone who isn't Mormon, all I see is conference weekend and all the traffic it generates in the north half of downtown SLC. Any talk I've ever heard afterwards tends to be simply about how nice Elder John M. Smith and President Q. George Barlow's talks were. The fact that the whole experience repeats in October kills any association I might get between the April conference and Easter.

But beyond that, in the west Easter seems to be just another Sunday on the calendar, though with some uniquely religious significance. Kind of like Pentecost but a bit bigger. People of any Christian denomination who don't usually make the effort to go to church might find themselves at one on Easter morning, but that's really it. In lots of the South, it's a really important holiday where large extended families will reunite and hang out to a much greater extent than just going to church Sunday morning. It's nearly on par with Thanksgiving. When I went to college in Atlanta, basically everyone whose parents lived within a 6-8 hour radius would go home for Easter weekend. Campus was real dead on those weekends. That kind of importance was not something I ever saw growing up.

Although membership or affiliation in the U.S. is declining (especially "active" membership), Mormons still make up 55% of the population in Utah (Even in famously Catholic MA, only 34% of people their affiliate as such).  Church attendance is a big deal -- Devout Mormons attend every Sunday.  Therefore, Easter is just another Sunday in that regard, but with services tailored to the holiday (talks and musical numbers and the like).

That said, sure, there wasn't a compulsion to return home from school just for Easter if one was far away from home, but I'd bet if family was nearby, students would spend that weekend with family.

Poiponen13

We should separate the recent Easter discussion to new thread called "The Easter thread" to make room with other random thoughts not related to Easter at all.

GaryV

I just had a random thought associated with Ascension Day. Can I post that here?

Poiponen13

Quote from: GaryV on September 16, 2023, 02:11:54 PM
I just had a random thought associated with Ascension Day. Can I post that here?
You can.

Flint1979

I just realized that Michael Gross and Meredith Baxter were born on the same day and the same day as one of my aunts (June 21, 1947).

kphoger

Quote from: Poiponen13 on September 16, 2023, 12:07:08 PM
We should separate the recent Easter discussion to new thread called "The Easter thread" to make room with other random thoughts not related to Easter at all.

We should separate all of the posts in the forum by Poiponen13-du-Ha!-Ha! into his own thread.  Oh, wait, we can't.

Quote from: GaryV on September 16, 2023, 02:11:54 PM

I'm not sure if the term is used in actual German-speaking areas, but I grew up hearing Ascension Day occasionally referred to as Himmelfahrtfest.  Which sounds like something that it isn't.  On the other hand, my parents' congregation does do an Ascension Day dinner with beer, brats, and sauerkraut.  So maybe the German name is apt, after all...
Male pronouns, please.

GaryV

I posted somewhat in jest about Ascension Day, because it is time-linked to Easter.

When my wife was on choir tour in Europe in college, they went to one place that was all closed up because it was Ascension Day. I don't remember if that was in Germany, but it might have been.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.