News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Random Thoughts

Started by kenarmy, March 29, 2021, 10:25:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kphoger

I can't listen to the first movement of Carmina Burana and NOT hear "salsa cookies, windmill cookies".

IYKYK
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Max Rockatansky

Much like Homer Simpson I had no idea what Cesar Chavez looked like.  That was until I just passed a picture of him in hall in front of my office.

Poiponen13

Why all time zone threads are eventually locked?

Max Rockatansky

You pushed the DST button, you'd shouldn't have done that. 

Poiponen13

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on September 19, 2023, 09:38:34 AM
You pushed the DST button, you'd shouldn't have done that.
What DST-related did I post in "Time zones 2" thread?

1995hoo

To give a serious answer, I believe it's because most time-related threads tend to devolve into the same few arguments that have been repeated ad nauseam.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

kphoger

Quote from: Poiponen13 on September 19, 2023, 09:30:57 AM

Quote from: 1995hoo on September 19, 2023, 10:01:42 AM
To give a serious answer, I believe it's because most time-related threads tend to devolve into the same few arguments that have been repeated ad nauseam.

It got quite heated.  On more than one occasion, I think.

So DST is an unspoken/unwritten off-limits topic.  Religion and politics are officially banned but are often tolerated.  DST is not officially banned but is never tolerated.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

mgk920

Quote from: kphoger on September 19, 2023, 11:37:45 AM
Quote from: Poiponen13 on September 19, 2023, 09:30:57 AM

Quote from: 1995hoo on September 19, 2023, 10:01:42 AM

It got quite heated.  On more than one occasion, I think.

So DST is an unspoken/unwritten off-limits topic.  Religion and politics are officially banned but are often tolerated.  DST is not officially banned but is never tolerated.

I just don't have time for those sorts of threads, either.

Mike

Max Rockatansky

I don't understand the obsession with time and time zones.  I stayed out of most of the threads but the carnage they wrought was something notable.

formulanone

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on September 19, 2023, 12:52:54 PM
I don't understand the obsession with time and time zones.  I stayed out of most of the threads but the carnage they wrought was something notable.

Cliffs Notes version

Poster 1: "I know what's best for everyone by making things entirely more complex"

Poster 2: "Make no changes at all or ever at any time, and deal with it."

Poster 3: "Um, it's fine as is...though imperfect like everything else."

Poster 1&2: "poster three is demonstrably an idiot"

Poster 4: "clearly the best of both worlds is to put every county in their own time zone"

Poster 1&2: "please expound upon your ridiculous idea you've spent years planning out, so we can pick apart how you're a fool for thinking Chumbatron County, Floribaska and Kuwashima County, East Thumberthorpe could possibly be on +2:18 and +2:39 respectively; they're each off by 68 seconds!"

kphoger

Maybe the darkness problem (on either side of the argument) could be alleviated by bringing arc sodium streetlamps back into vogue.
Male pronouns, please.

Scott5114

Since, to the wiki folks, just saying "AARoads" is ambiguous (do you mean the wiki or the forum?) they always have to call this place "AARoads Forum". But that's a lot of typing, so now some people are just typing "aarf". 🐶
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Hunty2022

Quote from: Scott5114 on September 20, 2023, 07:54:43 PM
Since, to the wiki folks, just saying "AARoads" is ambiguous (do you mean the wiki or the forum?) they always have to call this place "AARoads Forum". But that's a lot of typing, so now some people are just typing "aarf". 🐶

AARF (forum)
AARW (wiki)
AAR (actual website)
100th Post: 11/10/22
250th Post: 12/3/22
500th Post: 3/12/23
1000th Post: 11/12/23

Hunty Roads (under construction):
https://huntyroadsva.blogspot.com

Big John

Do we have one for people?  :bigass:

GaryV

Quote from: Hunty2022 on September 20, 2023, 08:09:26 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on September 20, 2023, 07:54:43 PM

AARF (forum)
AARW (wiki)
AAR (actual website)

Too bad - you missed "Talk Like A Pirate Day" by only 1 day.

1995hoo

Some guy in our neighborhood posted this question. He hasn't responded to everyone who replied with the very obvious question.

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

D-Dey65

Evidently, New York State wants to tear down the dam that makes Woodlands Lake in Ardsley;
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Woodlands_Dam_Removal_sign_2023_jeh.jpg
I took pictures of that place in 2021 because of the former rest area/restaurant pff the Saw Mill River Parkway that's located in the park next to that lake, and I also wrote a major expansion on the Wikipedia article on it. 

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.032156,-73.8459588,3a,75y,44.18h,89.92t/data=!3m8!1e1!3m6!1sAF1QipOaI5_C6BoBvkTyf186VoFJwPVXEb97Gu6OoTdh!2e10!3e11!6shttps:%2F%2Flh5.googleusercontent.com%2Fp%2FAF1QipOaI5_C6BoBvkTyf186VoFJwPVXEb97Gu6OoTdh%3Dw203-h100-k-no-pi-0-ya246.42227-ro-0-fo100!7i7168!8i3584?hl=en&entry=ttu

See the ducks in the link above? They're not going to be able to swim there for long.

The City of Yonkers and Town of Greenburgh had better prepare themselves for more flooding in the future.

hotdogPi

One of the now-deleted (it contained a quote by the user™) posts by Bobby5280 had him using Wallethub to rank states all the way back in 2017.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: 1 on October 03, 2023, 07:03:37 AM
One of the now-deleted (it contained a quote by the user™) posts by Bobby5280 had him using Wallethub to rank states all the way back in 2017.

How flat.

D-Dey65

I've been in Florida for over 24 years, and for some reason I only realized in recent months how seldom I hear the music of Zebra on any local album-oriented rock radio stations.

I tried to think of other similar bands I don't hear about that often in Florida as opposed to Long Island and other segments of the New York Tri-State Area, but I still don't remember any.

In the alternative scene, one band I don't hear too much of in the south is Lush. In fact, I swear the only time anyone else in the Tampa Bay Metro Area hears this band is when I play their tunes on my PC, my car stereo, or some personal music device.

kurumi

Quote from: D-Dey65 on October 03, 2023, 11:08:44 PM
I've been in Florida for over 24 years, and for some reason I only realized in recent months how seldom I hear the music of Zebra on any local album-oriented rock radio stations.

I tried to think of other similar bands I don't hear about that often in Florida as opposed to Long Island and other segments of the New York Tri-State Area, but I still don't remember any.

In the alternative scene, one band I don't hear too much of in the south is Lush. In fact, I swear the only time anyone else in the Tampa Bay Metro Area hears this band is when I play their tunes on my PC, my car stereo, or some personal music device.

Zebra had a few classic hair-metal near-prog hits, especially "Who's Behind the Door".

But Lush... I had 2 of their CDs/EPs back in the day. Shoegaze in its prime.

Here's "Sweetness and Light":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YarHCFGFYg
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

kphoger

Birds are dinosaurs.
Birds are reptiles.

How did I not find out about this earth-shaking revolution in scientific thought until yesterday?
Male pronouns, please.

Max Rockatansky

Never seen the original Jurassic Park?  Quaint to recall a time when "birds are dinosaurs" was a controversial theory.

Flint1979

I heard that Busch Gardens in Tampa is an overrated tourist attraction. After being there I agree. But I was there in 1995 so not anytime recently but I remember it.

GaryV

Quote from: Flint1979 on October 04, 2023, 11:52:21 AM
I heard that Busch Gardens in Tampa is an overrated tourist attraction. After being there I agree.

But don't they have birds? So ... dinosaurs?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.