News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Random Thoughts

Started by kenarmy, March 29, 2021, 10:25:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zachary_amaryllis

I-70 and US 6 just need to get a room already.
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

Hobart

Quote from: zachary_amaryllis on October 06, 2023, 07:41:51 PM
I-70 and US 6 just need to get a room already.

I don't think they're committed to each other enough... US 6 is going steady with I-80 as well.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

J N Winkler

US 6 just has a colorful marital history.  There's also an element of "the odds are good, but the goods are odd" because I-70 and I-80 tomcat around with US 40 and US 30 respectively.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

D-Dey65

There was actually a commercial for Busch Gardens in Tampa that I saw 23-24 years ago that I'm trying to find.

Flint1979

US-6 has a lot of dates with Interstate's.

D-Dey65

I'm currently testing this page to see if I'm still signed in. Microsoft just kicked me out of a whole bunch of websites I was on in their latest forced update.

Flint1979

Every time I hit the deck of the Mackinac Bridge I make my car radio play, The wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald by the late great Gordon Lightfoot it sends a pretty good vibe.

Max Rockatansky

When I knew that I was gong use I-105 during my wife's birthday trip to Santa Monica Pier I put on the main background theme from Speed.  Sure livened up what otherwise is the most boring freeway in the Los Angeles area.

formulanone

Quote from: kphoger on October 04, 2023, 10:09:02 AM
Birds are dinosaurs.
Birds are reptiles.

How did I not find out about this earth-shaking revolution in scientific thought until yesterday?

Dinosaur-shaped chicken nuggets are their missing link.

mgk920

Quote from: formulanone on October 08, 2023, 12:30:13 PM
Birds are dinosaurs.
Birds are reptiles.

How did I not find out about this earth-shaking revolution in scientific thought until yesterday?

I'll have a Bronto Burger!

:D

Mike

GaryV

Quote from: mgk920 on October 08, 2023, 01:26:26 PM
Quote from: formulanone on October 08, 2023, 12:30:13 PM
Birds are dinosaurs.
Birds are reptiles.

I'll have a Bronto Burger!

:D

Mike

Don't get the ribs, it will tip your car over.

CNGL-Leudimin

Are a zombie and an enderman admins of this forum too?

(This stems from the fact the admins of this forum are Steve and Alex, and in Super Smash Bros Ultimate the alternate costumes for Steve from Minecraft include Alex, Zombie and Enderman)
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

1995hoo

I don't want to start a new thread for this because I think it's too trivial a topic, but I figured some of you might enjoy the tweets Elon Musk has been posting (I note he failed to include Rome, New York).

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1712342306597065001

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1712628323455545852

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1712653024454230260
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

D-Dey65

I just found out today is the 14th anniversary of my registration on the AARoads Forum.

I'm not sure if this means anything, but what the hell.

1995hoo

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on October 13, 2023, 02:08:55 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on October 13, 2023, 08:41:15 AM
I don't want to start a new thread for this because I think it's too trivial a topic, but I figured some of you might enjoy the tweets Elon Musk has been posting (I note he failed to include Rome, New York).

I see the melon doesn't know there's no village named Fucking anymore, it has been Fugging since 2021.

I doubt he gives a fug.

CNGL-Leudimin

That post now doesn't make sense, I deleted the quoted one after I saw the melon acknowleged one of the places is now named Fugging instead.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

1995hoo

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on October 13, 2023, 04:46:33 PM
That post now doesn't make sense, I deleted the quoted one after I saw the melon acknowleged one of the places is now named Fugging instead.

It still makes sense because the quotation from the deleted post is still there.

kkt

I thought I'd pass on this sign-related cartoon:

https://xkcd.com/2841

Big John

Make a K or Y turn.

D-Dey65

I just had to buy a mousepad last night, and now my mouse keeps getting stuck on it, and shutting down various windows on my PC against my will.

Actually, I should've posted this in the "Minor things that bother you" thread. I also have a harder time cutting, copying and pasting thanks to this new mousepad.

Hunty2022

Counties I've taken thousandth pictures in:

1000: Augusta County, VA - 12/10/22
2000: (Deleted)
3000: Guilford County, NC - 5/18/23
4000: (Deleted) City of Richmond, VA - 6/4/23
5000: Rockingham County, VA - 6/25/23
6000: (Deleted)
7000: Montgomery County, MD - 8/9/23
8000: Queen Anne's County, MD - 8/13/23
9000: Davidson County, NC - 8/25/23
10000: McIntosh County, GA - 8/27/23
11000: Clay County, FL - 8/27/23
12000: Spartanburg County, SC - 8/28/23
13000: Wythe County, VA - 8/28/23
14000: Madison County, VA - 10/13/23
100th Post: 11/10/22
250th Post: 12/3/22
500th Post: 3/12/23
1000th Post: 11/12/23

Hunty Roads (under construction):
https://huntyroadsva.blogspot.com

kphoger

Music nerd time...

The notion that "B♯ is really C, so they should just write it as a C" only makes any sense from a pianist's perspective, and only because of the layout of the white and black keys.  It makes no sense, though, from the perspective of playing any other type of instrument.  For example, a bass guitarist should have no different concept of playing a B♯ on the 3rd fret of the A string than he does of playing an A♯ on the 3rd fret of the G string.  Or, B♯ and C having the same fingering because they're enharmonically equivalent shouldn't phase a clarinet player any more than F♯ and G♭ having the same fingering because they're enharmonically equivalent.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

7/8

Quote from: kphoger on October 19, 2023, 04:28:04 PM
Music nerd time...

The notion that "B♯ is really C, so they should just write it as a C" only makes any sense from a pianist's perspective, and only because of the layout of the white and black keys.  It makes no sense, though, from the perspective of playing any other type of instrument.  For example, a bass guitarist should have no different concept of playing a B♯ on the 3rd fret of the A string than he does of playing an A♯ on the 3rd fret of the G string.  Or, B♯ and C having the same fingering because they're enharmonically equivalent shouldn't phase a clarinet player any more than F♯ and G♭ having the same fingering because they're enharmonically equivalent.

As a clarinet player, B♯ does phase me, to the point that by the time I process it, it's probably too late to get the note right. :-D G♭ is also less intuitive than F♯ for me, but not as bad as B♯.

My preferred accidentals: A♭/G♯ (equal preference), B♭, C♯, E♭, F♯

More practice would help with identifying my less preferred notations, but I'm lazy. :)

tmoore952

Quote from: 1995hoo on October 13, 2023, 08:41:15 AM

Not including the pictures (in what I quoted).

I immediately thought of Rome NY because I am watching VHS tapes I recorded on pay-per-view from Woodstock '99, which was at a closed AFB in Rome NY.

I have decided, almost 25 years after the fact, and after having spent some time these last couple months with Woodstock '69 and Monterey, to make some audio recordings of Woodstock '99 performances I like (yes, there are a few, although a much much larger percentage of it is trash IMO). I also realize that what I have is less than 1/2 of what went down, since there were two stages and they could only show one stage at a time. Not sure if YouTube has anything I don't already have; will have to look. There are certain groups I know played there which I like that I do not have video of.

I want to keep audio only because I can't really look at the videos anymore; to put it cleanly, the raw video has a LOT of camera shots taken by camerapeople (men most likely) with voyeuristic intent. If you know anything about this festival, you know what I mean.

kphoger

Quote from: 7/8 on October 19, 2023, 04:42:22 PM

Quote from: kphoger on October 19, 2023, 04:28:04 PM
Music nerd time...

As a clarinet player, B♯ does phase me, to the point that by the time I process it, it's probably too late to get the note right. :-D G♭ is also less intuitive than F♯ for me, but not as bad as B♯.

My preferred accidentals: A♭/G♯ (equal preference), B♭, C♯, E♭, F♯

More practice would help with identifying my less preferred notations, but I'm lazy. :)

I'm not saying they don't phase you.  I'm saying there's no logical reason they should phase you, because your instrument is not tied to the black and white key layout of the piano.  The only reason they phase you is that music is rarely written to include that notation, but the only reason for that ultimately boils down to the layout of the piano (or harpsichord, probably).
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.