News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Random Thoughts

Started by kenarmy, March 29, 2021, 10:25:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kurumi

Quote from: kphoger on October 20, 2023, 06:43:20 PM
OK, so I just whipped up an arrangement of the second line of "Christmas Time Is Here" by Vince Guaraldi (A Charlie Brown Christmas).

The two lines of music shown below are identical, except for the third beat of the second measure.  Only the highlighted note is different:  the C♭ and B♮ are enharmonically equivalent.

Piano players:  which spelling makes the most sense to you in that A♭m6 chord?  Does spelling it as a C♭ help you conceptualize it as the third of the chord?  Do you even care that it's the third of the chord?

I do care; chords help explain structure and modulation, and help group together what would otherwise be a bunch of accidentals. The A minor to A♭ minor echoes the B minor to B♭ minor one measure earlier, and the consistent notation does help.
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

Hunty2022

Total amount of time spent in states this year, at 10/21/23, 10:10 AM Eastern:

Virginia: 9 Months, 12 Days, 23 Hours, 54 Minutes
Maryland: 3 Days, 20 Hours
Georgia: 2 Days, 5 Hours, 8 Minutes
North Carolina: 12 Hours, 13 Minutes
Florida: 10 Hours, 36 Minutes
South Carolina: 8 Hours, 48 Minutes
Tennessee: 1 Hour, 17 Minutes
Delaware: 13 Minutes
100th Post: 11/10/22
250th Post: 12/3/22
500th Post: 3/12/23
1000th Post: 11/12/23

Hunty Roads (under construction):
https://huntyroadsva.blogspot.com

kphoger

Sealand has never lost a soccer match against Seborga.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kphoger

Quote from: Scott5114 on October 20, 2023, 06:45:50 AM

Quote from: US 89 on October 19, 2023, 11:10:31 PM

Quote from: Scott5114 on October 19, 2023, 05:32:41 PM
(Then again, sharps annoy me in general, since music for trombone is not often written with them; the most common key signatures for music which would call for a trombone to be around at all tend to have one to three flats.)

Doesn't written trombone music automatically transpose down from C to B-flat anyway?

Truth be told, I have no idea—I went to school in Oklahoma, so music education didn't actually cover anything beyond how to play the notes on the page. They never told us how transposition works or even what a chord was since none of our instruments could play more than one note at a time.

No, it doesn't.  Trombone music is written in concert pitch.

His confusion lies in the fact that it is a B♭ instrument.  But that just means first position is a B♭, not that your sheet music is written a whole-step off.  What is written on a trombonist's sheet music as a G is actually a G.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

tmoore952

Also musically related but in a different way.

The Jefferson Airplane song "3/5 of a Mile in 10 Seconds"  -- computes to 216 MPH.

Why the song is called that I have no idea. Lyrics are not about speed, either velocity-related or drug-related.

US 89

Quote from: kphoger on October 27, 2023, 04:38:24 PM

(Then again, sharps annoy me in general, since music for trombone is not often written with them; the most common key signatures for music which would call for a trombone to be around at all tend to have one to three flats.)

Doesn't written trombone music automatically transpose down from C to B-flat anyway?

Truth be told, I have no idea—I went to school in Oklahoma, so music education didn't actually cover anything beyond how to play the notes on the page. They never told us how transposition works or even what a chord was since none of our instruments could play more than one note at a time.

His confusion lies in the fact that it is a B♭ instrument.  But that just means first position is a B♭, not that your sheet music is written a whole-step off.  What is written on a trombonist's sheet music as a G is actually a G.

Heh - I knew many of the usual band brass and woodwind instruments transpose to B-flat, so I assumed the trombone would also be among those. Today I learned.

GaryV

Quote from: US 89 on October 28, 2023, 03:18:05 PM
Quote from: kphoger on October 27, 2023, 04:38:24 PM

Heh - I knew many of the usual band brass and woodwind instruments transpose to B-flat, so I assumed the trombone would also be among those. Today I learned.

And trombone is written in bass clef too.

Now French Horn - that's a whole nuther animal. Some music concert pitch is written in F, some in E flat.

kurumi

When I was in marching band, a neat trick (as a trombone player) was to just sightread an alto saxophone player's part. Trombones are concert C (as in, same as a piano) in bass clef, and alto sax is E♭ in treble clef.

The lowest line of bass clef is G, and the lowest line of treble is E. However, an alto sax E sounds like a G. If you play the sax part as if it were bass clef, and do the right thing regarding accidentals, the differences cancel out (you're just 2 octaves lower).
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

Rothman

Quote from: kurumi on October 28, 2023, 07:49:24 PM
When I was in marching band, a neat trick (as a trombone player) was to just sightread an alto saxophone player's part. Trombones are concert C (as in, same as a piano) in bass clef, and alto sax is E♭ in treble clef.

The lowest line of bass clef is G, and the lowest line of treble is E. However, an alto sax E sounds like a G. If you play the sax part as if it were bass clef, and do the right thing regarding accidentals, the differences cancel out (you're just 2 octaves lower).
But then you're playing the alto saxophone's part and not your own?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

dlsterner

Having been a trombonist in marching & symphonic bands during junior high & high school, that never occurred to me!  But I see how it could work.  As you said, just have to watch what key you're in and the accidentals.  (I'm assuming this trick would also work with the euphonium or baritone).

Although, having a high school band director who definitely favored the brass side over the woodwind side and made his own arrangements of (most) of our marching music, I of course would want to stick with the trombone part, as it was likely more interesting than the alto sax part.

Quote from: Rothman on October 28, 2023, 08:16:37 PM

I see this as more of a "parlor trick" than something you would make a habit of doing.

kurumi

Quote from: dlsterner on October 28, 2023, 08:37:56 PM

Having been a trombonist in marching & symphonic bands during junior high & high school, that never occurred to me!  But I see how it could work.  As you said, just have to watch what key you're in and the accidentals.  (I'm assuming this trick would also work with the euphonium or baritone).

Although, having a high school band director who definitely favored the brass side over the woodwind side and made his own arrangements of (most) of our marching music, I of course would want to stick with the trombone part, as it was likely more interesting than the alto sax part.

Quote from: Rothman on October 28, 2023, 08:16:37 PM

I see this as more of a "parlor trick" than something you would make a habit of doing.

Yeah, this was during the occasional "downtimes" between practice, performance, etc. but people are standing around with their instruments ou.

hotdogPi

Top 506 by post count, minus the unknowns of FritzOwl, ixnay, johndoe, and RoadMaster09. 475 are within the 50 states.

StateForum membersRepresentatives
Alabama67
Alaska01
Arizona119
Arkansas114
California3352
Colorado98
Connecticut145
Delaware41
Florida1528
Georgia1214
Hawaii02
Idaho12
Illinois2217
Indiana199
Iowa54
Kansas54
Kentucky76
Louisiana116
Maine22
Maryland118
Massachusetts209
Michigan1913
Minnesota58
Mississippi44
Missouri78
Montana22
Nebraska13
Nevada44
New Hampshire32
New Jersey1912
New Mexico23
New York2226
North Carolina1614
North Dakota01
Ohio1815
Oklahoma95
Oregon106
Pennsylvania2317
Rhode Island12
South Carolina37
South Dakota31
Tennessee59
Texas2338
Utah44
Vermont11
Virginia1711
Washington1010
West Virginia42
Wisconsin228
Wyoming01

US territories and Canada. I'm not doing other countries because this is primarily a US/Canada forum.

Other locationForum membersTheoretical representatives
Washington DC31
Puerto Rico04
Ontario919
Quebec411
Nova Scotia11
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

JayhawkCO

Right off the get go, looks like Wisconsin is the outlier.

mgk920

Quote from: JayhawkCO on October 30, 2023, 11:45:16 AM
Right off the get go, looks like Wisconsin is the outlier.

Yep, LOTS of us proud cheeseheads in here!   :D

Mike

Scott5114

Quote from: 1 on October 30, 2023, 11:42:46 AM
Top 506 by post count, minus the unknowns of FritzOwl, ixnay, johndoe, and RoadMaster09. 475 are within the 50 states.

If you're going to compare against the US House, shouldn't you take the top 435 by post count?
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Hobart

Late to the party, but it's also worth mentioning the other trombone party trick: you can get away with reading music written in Bb treble clef (like for trumpet or British trombone music) by reading it as it were in tenor clef. The B in the middle of the staff for Bb treble clef sounds the same as concert A, right in the middle of tenor clef.

I actually do this backwards to read tenor clef. I started on trombone, but picked up trumpet for my college's pep band before actually having to learn tenor clef to a reasonable extent.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Scott5114

People actually use tenor clef?????
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

kphoger

Quote from: Scott5114 on October 31, 2023, 02:37:49 PM

Usually just cello and bassoon players, though that doesn't mean they're happy about it.
Male pronouns, please.

paulthemapguy

If Wawa expands to Wisconsin, they will have to rebrand as WauWau.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 391/425. Only 34 route markers remain!

Hobart

In addition to bassoon and cello mentioned before, most orchestral pieces usually write the tenor (first and second) trombone parts in tenor clef, with the clef shifting to bass or alto if range dictates. This is extremely rare in concert band music, but happens there as well. I recall most of my excerpts for the Chicago Youth Symphony being in tenor clef (though I never actually auditioned).

Bass trombone generally never reads tenor clef (though there may be odd one-off exceptions), and jazz trombone people fear anything besides bass clef, even if it means writing five ledger lines above the staff.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

kurumi

Quote from: Hobart on November 01, 2023, 01:21:53 AM

In addition to bassoon and cello mentioned before, most orchestral pieces usually write the tenor (first and second) trombone parts in tenor clef, with the clef shifting to bass or alto if range dictates. This is extremely rare in concert band music, but happens there as well. I recall most of my excerpts for the Chicago Youth Symphony being in tenor clef (though I never actually auditioned).

Bass trombone generally never reads tenor clef (though there may be odd one-off exceptions), and jazz trombone people fear anything besides bass clef, even if it means writing five ledger lines above the staff.

I've done jazz, marching, and symphonic, and was always bass clef. Regarding 5 ledger lines: my "one rep max" was a D5 (9 notes above middle C) which I think was exactly five lines. I couldn't reliably hit it (thankfully never came up in performance), and there's no way I could get close to that now.

mgk920

Quote from: paulthemapguy on October 31, 2023, 03:04:45 PM

With their first outlet o be Wausau, WI?

Mike

kphoger

Quote from: mgk920 on November 01, 2023, 03:08:46 PM

Quote from: paulthemapguy on October 31, 2023, 03:04:45 PM

With their first outlet o be Wausau, WI?

If only Barbara Walters were still alive, she could get a temp job as Baba Wawa of the Wausau WauWau.
Male pronouns, please.

D-Dey65

Quote from: kurumi on October 20, 2023, 11:49:27 PM
Quote from: kphoger on October 20, 2023, 06:43:20 PM
OK, so I just whipped up an arrangement of the second line of "Christmas Time Is Here" by Vince Guaraldi (A Charlie Brown Christmas).

The two lines of music shown below are identical, except for the third beat of the second measure.  Only the highlighted note is different:  the C♭ and B♮ are enharmonically equivalent.

Piano players:  which spelling makes the most sense to you in that A♭m6 chord?  Does spelling it as a C♭ help you conceptualize it as the third of the chord?  Do you even care that it's the third of the chord?

I do care; chords help explain structure and modulation, and help group together what would otherwise be a bunch of accidentals. The A minor to A♭ minor echoes the B minor to B♭ minor one measure earlier, and the consistent notation does help.
Can you get sheet music for "Starlust," by Lush, or the opening theme from "Up the Down Staircase" by Fred Karlin?

Anyway, this "mom" in some of the Winn-Dixie TV commercials looks like a shorter version of Brooke Shields:
https://www.ispot.tv/ad/1HCf/winn-dixie-winn-and-save-with-winning-prices

DriverDave

How many inhabited planets do you think exist within 100 light years of Earth? That's about 50,000 stars in total.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.