News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Random Thoughts

Started by kenarmy, March 29, 2021, 10:25:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rothman

Quote from: vdeane on November 30, 2023, 08:22:09 PM
Anyone ever notice that pretty much every thread relating to New Jersey devolves into control city arguments again and again?  I wonder why that is.
Some people find arguing pointlessly over subjective minutiae to be addictive it seems.  Such discussions reduce the quality of the main regional and state threads.

Same goes for people who make statements like, "Route X should obviously be Route Y instead, because that's how the numbering system works in my mind and therefore everyone else should think my way, too."
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

vdeane

Quote from: Rothman on December 01, 2023, 12:15:37 AM
Anyone ever notice that pretty much every thread relating to New Jersey devolves into control city arguments again and again?  I wonder why that is.
Some people find arguing pointlessly over subjective minutiae to be addictive it seems.  Such discussions reduce the quality of the main regional and state threads.

Same goes for people who make statements like, "Route X should obviously be Route Y instead, because that's how the numbering system works in my mind and therefore everyone else should think my way, too."
Still, it seems to happen to New Jersey-related discussion a LOT, much more than for any other state.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Rothman

Quote from: vdeane on December 01, 2023, 12:51:45 PM

Still, it seems to happen to New Jersey-related discussion a LOT, much more than for any other state.
True.  A lot of people travel the Turnpike, though.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Rothman on December 01, 2023, 01:27:26 PM
Quote from: vdeane on December 01, 2023, 12:51:45 PM

True.  A lot of people travel the Turnpike, though.

Every inch of NJ is a municipality, many of those munis have significant population or business/commercial areas, and there's 3 other states which have significantly large cities bordering NJ. 

Unlike in most other states where there are significant distances between populated areas, and even more significant distances between heavily populated areas, in NJ one can go from town to borough to city to village to town and consistently hit populated, important municipalities. 

There's about 560 municipal entities in NJ, in which their 9 million residents reside.  Yet, only 7 have populations over 100,000, which shows how large many of the munis tend to be in this state.

And many highways also tend to not exactly enter the municipality mentioned.  Or end or traverse in sections of municipalities whose names are more well known than the municipality name itself, which screws with people's mindset of how Control Cities should be used.

When I recently posted the videos of the new route, I thought nothing of the control cities used and thought they were reasonable, and didn't conflict with any other recent decision or signage used elsewhere.  Yet, here we go again.

So, to sum it up: It's 'Complicated'. 

tmoore952

Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 01, 2023, 01:42:31 PM
Every inch of NJ is a municipality, many of those munis have significant population or business/commercial areas, and there's 3 other states which have significantly large cities bordering NJ. 

In each case the large city in the neighboring state is the largest city in that state, and all within a total distance of about 135 miles (this is [or at least used to be] the mileage on the sign that is on northbound 295 in Delaware just after it splits from 95 north). I believe that is the distance (via NJ Turnpike) from there to the beginning of the George Washington Bridge, as I remember seeing a "131 [and change]" milepost there.

I did live in NJ for a year or so (1996). But for all the other years (with the notable exception of going to then-Continental Arena to see the NHL NJ Devils) the only time I drove on the turnpike was to get to someplace in another state.

Flint1979

Traffic jam in Copper Harbor, Michigan yesterday.

Big John

^^ Plus I thought the Great Lakes Circle Route signs were green.

mgk920

Hmmm, survivors of the latest Michigan gun season.   :-o

Mike

Flint1979

Quote from: Big John on December 04, 2023, 01:32:46 AM
^^ Plus I thought the Great Lakes Circle Route signs were green.
It's because the loop and spur routes of the GLCT have white on brown signs, the rest of them have white on green signs.

Flint1979

Quote from: mgk920 on December 04, 2023, 02:58:15 AM
Hmmm, survivors of the latest Michigan gun season.   :-o

Mike
Lol yeah and at least they are crossing the highway by the deer crossing sign.

TheHighwayMan3561

Minnesota replaced a lot of the aging green LSCT signs on Highway 61 with brown ones in the last couple years.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Flint1979

When you have a choice.

tmoore952

Quote from: Flint1979 on December 09, 2023, 11:35:18 AM
When you have a choice.

I would get the sauerkraut dog, every time.

Although, I'm not sure why that is more expensive (13% more [gotten by ~34/30]) than the options with chili added, or ground beef added.

Flint1979

Quote from: tmoore952 on December 09, 2023, 12:10:50 PM
Quote from: Flint1979 on December 09, 2023, 11:35:18 AM
When you have a choice.

I would get the sauerkraut dog, every time.

Although, I'm not sure why that is more expensive (13% more [gotten by ~34/30]) than the options with chili added, or ground beef added.
Flint style coney sauce is more than just ground beef I don't know why they advertise it that way. I get Flint style every time I have a choice, if I'm in Detroit and that's the only choice I'll throw down on a Detroit style too. I have never liked sauerkraut, dunno why really.

zachary_amaryllis

I was in Cheyenne the other day.

It occured to me that, the two exits, from the two main Interstates, to what many would consider to be the main drag ... of the capital city...

... the ramps end at rather unremarkable stop signs, on a rather unremarkable road.
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

webny99

Quote from: zachary_amaryllis on December 12, 2023, 12:14:57 PM

It occured to me that, the two exits, from the two main Interstates, to what many would consider to be the main drag ... of the capital city...

... the ramps end at rather unremarkable stop signs, on a rather unremarkable road.

That actually seems pretty stereotypical for the least-populated state in the country. It's a rare case where a roadgeek might actually be more surprised by it than the average person.

ZLoth

The population of Cheyenne is less than the population of the North Dallas suburb that I currently reside in.

The population of Wyoming at 578,803 is less than the population of the City of Dallas at 1.288 million. And, yes, in this instance, I'm not referring to the Metropolitan Statistical Area (MSA).

The population density (population divided by land area) of Wyoming is 49th. The only state with a lower population density is Alaska.

So, uh, what do people do for a living in that area?
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

webny99

Quote from: ZLoth on December 12, 2023, 03:50:30 PM
The population of Cheyenne is less than the population of the North Dallas suburb that I currently reside in.

The population of Wyoming at 578,803 is less than the population of the City of Dallas at 1.288 million. And, yes, in this instance, I'm not referring to the Metropolitan Statistical Area (MSA).

The population density (population divided by land area) of Wyoming is 49th. The only state with a lower population density is Alaska.

Mining, cattle ranching, and tourism/recreational industries, for starters.

zachary_amaryllis

Quote from: webny99 on December 12, 2023, 03:37:44 PM

That actually seems pretty stereotypical for the least-populated state in the country. It's a rare case where a roadgeek might actually be more surprised by it than the average person.
I'm a smidge atypical (aren't we all?).

It just seemed really weird to me. Even Laramie has lights at their interchanges.
clinched:

zachary_amaryllis

Quote from: webny99 on December 12, 2023, 06:42:22 PM
Quote from: ZLoth on December 12, 2023, 03:50:30 PM

Mining, cattle ranching, and tourism/recreational industries, for starters.
A lot come to Fort Collins, I would imagine. FE Warren AFB, is another biggie up there. Once a week I catch a Bustang to Denver, and there's usually a couple of Cheyenneites, that drove to the park & ride for the same reason.

Unexpectedly, found a sushi joint downtown. Decent, even. Not the first thing I would expect to find in Wyoming, to be sure.
clinched:

vdeane

Which interchanges on these?  I've been poking around in street view, and the interchanges that would seem to meet the description otherwise have traffic lights. :confused:
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

webny99

Quote from: vdeane on December 14, 2023, 12:56:51 PM

Which interchanges on these?  I've been poking around in street view, and the interchanges that would seem to meet the description otherwise have traffic lights. :confused:

Must be the two at either end of I-80 Business?

But thanks for pointing that out, as it is worth noting that there are at least 3 other interchanges that do have stoplights at their respective interstate junctions.

Big John

Gilette says it is the best a man can get.  They never told us which one.

zachary_amaryllis

Quote from: webny99 on December 14, 2023, 03:40:45 PM
Quote from: vdeane on December 14, 2023, 12:56:51 PM

Must be the two at either end of I-80 Business?

But thanks for pointing that out, as it is worth noting that there are at least 3 other interchanges that do have stoplights at their respective interstate junctions.

Where I-25, and I-80 exit to Lincolnway Ave / US 30 / Otto Road. You're like a mile or so from the heart of downtown there.
clinched:

kphoger

Quote from: Big John on December 14, 2023, 05:45:53 PM
Gilette says it is the best a man can get.  They never told us which one.

I've also heard that you can't keep a good man down.  But you can keep an average man down for about three minutes.  You can keep Carl in a jar.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.