News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Random Thoughts

Started by kenarmy, March 29, 2021, 10:25:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Poiponen13 on January 01, 2024, 12:52:26 PM
Quote from: Big John on December 31, 2023, 05:38:24 PM
Quote from: mgk920 on December 31, 2023, 05:33:13 PM
Quote from: vdeane on December 31, 2023, 05:01:41 PM
Quote from: Big John on December 31, 2023, 04:57:32 PM
jakeroot could have already done it in JST
For a second there I thought JST was "Jake Standard Time".  Shouldn't have taken as long as it did to realize that the J was for "Japan".  :-D

What time does Sydney (as in 'Australia') use?

Mike
Australian Eastern Time (AET - UTC+11)
And remember that it is UTC+11 only in local summer when it uses DST, otherwise it is on UTC+10.

Here is a "no" for you to break in the New Year with.  Please apply it as the default response to your next "proposal."

ZLoth

Quote from: Big John on December 31, 2023, 05:38:24 PM
Quote from: mgk920 on December 31, 2023, 05:33:13 PM
Quote from: vdeane on December 31, 2023, 05:01:41 PM
Quote from: Big John on December 31, 2023, 04:57:32 PM
jakeroot could have already done it in JST
For a second there I thought JST was "Jake Standard Time".  Shouldn't have taken as long as it did to realize that the J was for "Japan".  :-D

What time does Sydney (as in 'Australia') use?

Mike
Australian Eastern Time (AET - UTC+11)

Bzzt, nope, thanks for playing.

Australia is divided into three separate time zones:

• Australian Eastern Standard Time (AEST). AEST is equal to Coordinated Universal Time plus 10 hours (UTC +10)
  • Australian Central Standard Time (ACST). ACST is equal to Coordinated Universal Time plus 9.5 hours (UTC +9.5)
  • Australian Western Standard Time (AWST). AWST is equal to Coordinated Universal Time plus 8 hours (UTC +8)
It gets really fun when Daylight Saving Time comes into play. As part of working "overnight shift" for several years, I did Asia-Pacific (APAC) support.
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Scott5114

Talc, probably. Everything's hard compared to talc.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

kphoger

Quote from: Scott5114 on January 03, 2024, 03:56:10 PM
Talc, probably. Everything's hard compared to talc.

Graphene aerogel?
Technically, even butter is softer than talc.
Not quite what I was getting at, though...
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

formulanone

ZLoth

Does anyone really pay for Internet connectivity while on a airplane? I know that several airlines have in-flight WiFi available so that you can watch or listen to the on-board entertainment (movies, TV shows, music) from your phone, laptop, or tablet, but unless you can charge it off as a business expense, can you do without Internet connectivity for a few hours? Some of the charges I see are as follows:

• Alaska Airlines - $8 for flight duration, $19 for a 24 hour pass
  • American Airlines - $16-$19 for flight duration
  • Delta Airlines - $16 for 24 hours in North America, $28 for Global Pass
  • JetBlu - Free for all passengers
  • Southwest - $8 for flight duration
  • Spirit - Starting at $2.99 for browsing, starting at $5.99 for streaming, both are dependent on flight length
  • United - $7 for one hour, $19 for 24 hours
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

Rothman

Quote from: ZLoth on January 04, 2024, 01:42:10 AM
Does anyone really pay for Internet connectivity while on a airplane?

Yes.

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

JayhawkCO

The United prices aren't accurate. I paid $8 each way for my DEN-SJU flights. Well worth it for ~6 hour flights.

D-Dey65

How far east within the US can you find Night Speed Limit signs?

kkt

Does anyone really pay for Internet connectivity while on a airplane? I know that several airlines have in-flight WiFi available so that you can watch or listen to the on-board entertainment (movies, TV shows, music) from your phone, laptop, or tablet, but unless you can charge it off as a business expense, can you do without Internet connectivity for a few hours?

The question isn't "can you do with Internet for a few hours if you have to?", the question is "will spending a few bucks make the next few hours less painful?". 

JayhawkCO

Quote from: kkt on January 04, 2024, 12:50:33 PM
Does anyone really pay for Internet connectivity while on a airplane? I know that several airlines have in-flight WiFi available so that you can watch or listen to the on-board entertainment (movies, TV shows, music) from your phone, laptop, or tablet, but unless you can charge it off as a business expense, can you do without Internet connectivity for a few hours?

The question isn't "can you do with Internet for a few hours if you have to?", the question is "will spending a few bucks make the next few hours less painful?".

Yep. I watched a live soccer match on the outbound to Puerto Rico. It was nice and cost me very little. I was also playing an online board game against my friends and didn't have to make them wait for my turn.

tmoore952

Quote from: D-Dey65 on January 04, 2024, 12:45:11 PM
Serious (non-joking) answer.

You can find them on Shady Grove Road between Piney Meetinghouse Road and Darnestown Road in Gaithersburg, MD. (I believe this is still Gaithersburg although it is very close to both Rockville and Potomac)

D-Dey65

Quote from: tmoore952 on January 04, 2024, 01:26:26 PM

You can find them on Shady Grove Road between Piney Meetinghouse Road and Darnestown Road in Gaithersburg, MD. (I believe this is still Gaithersburg although it is very close to both Rockville and Potomac)
Ahh, yes. Here's one:
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.0833204,-77.2162935,3a,37.5y,58.18h,94.57t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s4G9IWc9EBOjiNkvOHou6vQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?hl=en&entry=ttu

dlsterner

Quote from: D-Dey65 on January 04, 2024, 02:52:49 PM

Ahh, yes. Here's one:
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.0833204,-77.2162935,3a,37.5y,58.18h,94.57t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s4G9IWc9EBOjiNkvOHou6vQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?hl=en&entry=ttu
Another one, just a tad further east.  It's on St. Charles Parkway between La Plata and Waldorf in Maryland, on the "semi secret" Waldorf bypass.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/yypFjyFjJqmNT9dp6

formulanone

Does anyone really pay for Internet connectivity while on a airplane? I know that several airlines have in-flight WiFi available so that you can watch or listen to the on-board entertainment (movies, TV shows, music) from your phone, laptop, or tablet, but unless you can charge it off as a business expense, can you do without Internet connectivity for a few hours? Some of the charges I see are as follows:

• Delta Airlines - $16 for 24 hours in North America, $28 for Global Pass

It's free on about 40-50% of the flights within the continental US, if you have a SkyMiles account. It depends on the aircraft type (mainline planes only, not a regional jet) and whether they've upgraded the features on the individual aircraft. Or if it's not buggy that day.

It was like a 3G connection about 10 years ago. Not so bad now, but not amazing; good enough to get some work done, but forget about uploading 40-50 photos to Flickr.

bm7

I've never flown but I wouldn't pay for internet. I have plenty of offline entertainment sources on my phone if needed.

Hunty2022

In 2023, I took a grand total of 13,287 (!!) photos. The month with the most photos was August, having nearly half the total count.

The county with the most photos was somehow Greene County, VA, but the photo count includes screenshots.
100th Post: 11/10/22
250th Post: 12/3/22
500th Post: 3/12/23
1000th Post: 11/12/23

Hunty Roads (under construction):
https://huntyroadsva.blogspot.com

D-Dey65

Quote from: dlsterner on January 04, 2024, 05:18:31 PM

Ahh, yes. Here's one:
Another one, just a tad further east.  It's on St. Charles Parkway between La Plata and Waldorf in Maryland, on the "semi secret" Waldorf bypass.

Hey, how is St. Charles Parkway as a bypass for US 301 in Waldorf?

dlsterner

Quote from: D-Dey65 on January 09, 2024, 10:15:51 PM
Quote from: dlsterner on January 04, 2024, 05:18:31 PM

Ahh, yes. Here's one:

Hey, how is St. Charles Parkway as a bypass for US 301 in Waldorf?
Not too bad.  It's still going to be somewhat slow because of lower speed limits and traffic lights, but I find it less stressful, which is a plus in my book.  Plus many times less traffic.  The US 301 / MD 5 concurrency can still have heavy traffic at times, but I normally bear east on US 301 towards Bowie whereas most traffic bears left on MD 5 towards Washington.

I haven't had the opportunity to time it to see which way is faster.  But fastest isn't always best IMHO.

D-Dey65

Quote from: dlsterner on January 09, 2024, 11:49:03 PM
Not too bad.  It's still going to be somewhat slow because of lower speed limits and trafficights, but I find it less stressful, which is a plus in my book.  Plus many times less traffic.  The US 301 / MD 5 concurrency can still have heavy traffic at times, but I normally bear east on US 301 towards Bowie whereas most traffic bears left on MD 5 towards Washington.
Hey, I do that too. What I also find is that MD 3 is another traffic nightmare. I used to take US 301 to MD 3 in Bowie so I could catch I-97. Not anymore. Now I take MD 197 to MD 198, and cut through Laurel to get to I-95. Plus it gives me a chance to get to one of my favorite I-95 rest areas.

webny99

• January 2021 was a major blown opportunity for 20/20 hindsight puns - especially with how exciting it was to put the year 2020 behind us

Big John

Was afraid to eat Chunky soup as I thought it was some kind of mutant food that ate things from its slogan "soup that eats like a meal."

kenarmy

-When is the US 98 realignment gonna be complete?
-The title of the thread is random thoughts so like?? I'm just sharing random thoughts.
-Becoming lactose intolerant must be one of the hardest things to experience.
-Onych means nail..
-People wake up and crave olive mix?
-Rip to the people that have to fill out all those W-2s.
-I just can't see.. or taste the appeal of watermelon.
-Are there any US 96 fans?
-I really feel like Bad is better than Thriller. Song and album.
-Do any of yall go to auto shows?
-I know time flys, but last year felt really long to me.
-Chargers really get used and abused.. and then get disregarded when they've finally had enough.
-bye.  :-P
Just a reminder that US 6, 49, 50, and 98 are superior to your fave routes :)

EXTEND 206 SO IT CAN MEET ITS PARENT.

Scott5114

Quote from: kenarmy on January 12, 2024, 10:03:59 PM
-Rip to the people that have to fill out all those W-2s.

Most of the time this is done by a program that's hooked up to the payroll database these days. It did probably really suck when you had to fill them out on a typewriter and mail a copy off to the IRS.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.