News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Random Thoughts

Started by kenarmy, March 29, 2021, 10:25:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

J N Winkler

There are two main reasons I'm interested in the day of the week of dates well in the past:

*  Understanding how historical events were timed in relation to the structure of an ordinary week.  For example, JFK was assassinated on November 22, 1963, which was a Friday.  This put in context a British friend's memory of that day, which was that she had just gotten off work and was getting ready for the weekend when the news broke (GMT was and still is six hours ahead of CST).

*  Building backstory for fictional characters.  If I know I have two protagonists born in 1980, one on March 15 and the other on July 4, then with the day of the week for those dates (Saturday and Friday respectively), I have pegs for their birth stories.

Generally I just pull the Wikipedia article for the year and follow the link (typically in the first sentence of the article) for the appropriate calendar.  (I do have GnuWin32, but it does not include a port of cal.)
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Scott5114

Quote from: tmoore952 on January 18, 2024, 04:28:08 PM
Whatever. My original post was not intended to be that serious. Or that nit-picky.

And everyone else is not you.

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

kkt

Quote from: J N Winkler on January 18, 2024, 01:04:25 PM
Quote from: kkt on January 17, 2024, 10:19:38 PMFor fun and games, type cal 9 1752

24 Geo. 2. c. 23.

Am I weird for missing the use of the regnal year for citing statutes in the U.K.?

kkt

Quote from: J N Winkler on January 18, 2024, 06:18:18 PM
There are two main reasons I'm interested in the day of the week of dates well in the past:

*  Understanding how historical events were timed in relation to the structure of an ordinary week.  For example, JFK was assassinated on November 22, 1963, which was a Friday.  This put in context a British friend's memory of that day, which was that she had just gotten off work and was getting ready for the weekend when the news broke (GMT was and still is six hours ahead of CST).

*  Building backstory for fictional characters.  If I know I have two protagonists born in 1980, one on March 15 and the other on July 4, then with the day of the week for those dates (Saturday and Friday respectively), I have pegs for their birth stories.

Generally I just pull the Wikipedia article for the year and follow the link (typically in the first sentence of the article) for the appropriate calendar.  (I do have GnuWin32, but it does not include a port of cal.)

They left out cal?  That's a shame.  It's only 168k.  Probably couldn't write "Hello, World" in Windowsland in less than a meg.

J N Winkler

Quote from: kkt on January 18, 2024, 10:37:10 PMThey left out cal?  That's a shame.  It's only 168k.  Probably couldn't write "Hello, World" in Windowsland in less than a meg.

Actually, I checked more closely and it's there, but as gcal (presumably short for "GNU cal").

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.19045.3803]
(c) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

D:\downloads\deletables>gcal 9 1752

September 1752
Su Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa
        1  2 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

D:\downloads\deletables>
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

kkt

Quote from: J N Winkler on January 18, 2024, 11:58:21 PM
Quote from: kkt on January 18, 2024, 10:37:10 PMThey left out cal?  That's a shame.  It's only 168k.  Probably couldn't write "Hello, World" in Windowsland in less than a meg.

Actually, I checked more closely and it's there, but as gcal (presumably short for "GNU cal").

September 1752
Su Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa
        1  2 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

That's a relief!

J N Winkler

Quote from: kkt on January 18, 2024, 10:32:16 PM
Quote from: J N Winkler on January 18, 2024, 01:04:25 PM
Quote from: kkt on January 17, 2024, 10:19:38 PMFor fun and games, type cal 9 1752

24 Geo. 2. c. 23.

Am I weird for missing the use of the regnal year for citing statutes in the U.K.?

I would say not, but the old system had some problematic features that are not well explained in the Wikipedia article on citations, such as restarting the numbering at a session break within a parliament (e.g., 13 Ann. and 1 Geo. 1. St. 1 were both sessions of the fourth parliament of Great Britain).

CNGL-Leudimin

September 1752
Su Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa
        1  2 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

That is surely British-centric (as the USA didn't exist back then). The Gregorian Calendar came into force in October 1582, so I guess cal/gcal will return anything between October 1582 and September 1752 "wrong" (at least from the perspective of someone living in the lands that adopted that calendar immediately).
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

1995hoo

The word filter catches other things as well. For example, one particular forum member insists on typing "should of" when he means to type either "should have" or "should've." The word filter changes what he types to "should have." (Those of you who have the word filter enabled should nevertheless see "should of" twice in this post because I circumvented the filter—if I hadn't done so, this post wouldn't make sense to people who have the filter enabled.)

I have not attempted to go through and figure out all the offensive terms the forum censors, though I am aware of at least two (and neither is a word I would normally use except in the context of specifically referring to one of those words as a word, or perhaps in a quotation).
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

hotdogPi

"Could" and "would" also get the "of" treatment.

Genius
Biscuit (previously bundle of sticks)
Lorry (previously cigarette)
Mezzanine
Sault Sainte John Madden
Booger Queen
And one that I won't say since it's that bad.

The filter also changes the default Tapatalk message to size-1 white font.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

Poiponen13

I just found out that words sight, site and cite are homophones. They are pronounced exactly same. This surprises me.

1995hoo

Quote from: 1 on January 19, 2024, 09:38:29 AM

And one that I won't say since it's that bad.

I'm going to guess it's the word the forum censors to "hep cat."

wanderer2575

Quote from: Poiponen13 on January 19, 2024, 09:38:52 AM
I just found out that words sight, site and cite are homophones. They are pronounced exactly same. This surprises me.

On the flip side, each "c" in "Pacific Ocean" is pronounced differently.

1995hoo

How did you think they were pronounced? (That's a serious question—at least for the moment, I'm not making fun of you or picking on you, as I'm just genuinely wondering how you thought they were pronounced.)

Poiponen13

Quote from: 1995hoo on January 19, 2024, 10:06:48 AM

How did you think they were pronounced? (That's a serious question—at least for the moment, I'm not making fun of you or picking on you, as I'm just genuinely wondering how you thought they were pronounced.)
I had suspected if they were pronounced as same, and I just confirmed that from Wiktionary. The thing that they are pronounced exactly same surprises me, as I have never previously seen a homophone pair differing in that one word uses "s" and the other word uses "c", with both pronounced as "s" sound.

tmoore952

I work in an area where the titles and the numbers of certain documents are recorded. Every year they need to be "sighted" (meaning "physically sighted") by certain personnel. When I first heard this term, I thought it was "cited" -- along the lines of -- I (only) had to provide a list of their titles.

kphoger

Quote from: Poiponen13 on January 19, 2024, 10:13:39 AM
I have never previously seen a homophone pair differing in that one word uses "s" and the other word uses "c", with both pronounced as "s" sound.

cede / seed
ceiling / sealing
cell / sell
census / senses (depending on the final letter)
cent / sent / scent
cereal / serial
cymbal / symbol
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

1995hoo

Also, related to "cede," there's "cession" and "session."

kphoger

Quote from: 1995hoo on January 19, 2024, 10:46:21 AM
Also, related to "cede," there's "cession" and "session."

And, related to "cent–sent–scent", there's "cents–sense–scents".
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

tmoore952

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on January 19, 2024, 05:09:42 AM

September 1752
Su Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa
        1  2 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

That is surely British-centric (as the USA didn't exist back then). The Gregorian Calendar came into force in October 1582, so I guess cal/gcal will return anything between October 1582 and September 1752 "wrong" (at least from the perspective of someone living in the lands that adopted that calendar immediately).

Older almanacs (yes, I still have one or two) will show George Washington's birthday as Feb. 22, 1732 -- or Feb. 11, 1731 old style (or o.s.)  --- which is NOT a typo.

The Feb. 11 to Feb 22 change is discussed above.

The 1731 to 1732 change occurred because -- at the same time as the 11 day loss due to the adoption of the Gregorian calendar, -- New Year's Day was moved from March 25 to January 1. Under the old reckoning, March 24, 1700 was followed by March 25, 1701. (can you imagine that?).

========
Incidentally, for us road geeks, I remember that our old 1968 World Almanac had a table listing interstate highways and their mileage in each state. That table was one thing that got me interested in highways. Our old maps were another. Something to look for in a used book store, if you are so inclined (although a similarly dated road atlas would be better).
Unfortunately, I cannot elaborate more since I do not have that 1968 almanac at the present time, assuming my family still has it (long story). That was early enough that the list should have had the many more suffixed routes that existed before they were phased out in the 1970s.

kphoger

October 1582 is also fun for calendar nerds.  People went to bed on Thursday, October 4, and woke up the next morning on October 15.
Male pronouns, please.

1995hoo

Quote from: kphoger on January 19, 2024, 11:11:18 AM
October 1582 is also fun for calendar nerds.  People went to bed on Thursday, October 4, and woke up the next morning on October 15.

Perhaps the most unique one is February 1712 in Sweden.

Poiponen13

Quote from: 1995hoo on January 19, 2024, 11:39:03 AM
Quote from: kphoger on January 19, 2024, 11:11:18 AM

Perhaps the most unique one is February 1712 in Sweden.
It had 30 days.

mgk920

That sounds like the establishment of standard time in North America.  Prior to then, each locality kept its own solar time, relying of a prominent local clock as the 'standard'.  That worked well for a looooong time, until the advent of railroads made that impractical.  Keeping timetable schedules for public use, as well as real 'life safety' issues relating to train dispatching, meant that something had to be done about it.  After much hemming and hawing and *without any legislative involvement*, the various railroad companies agreed to set up standardized time zones and at noon (local railroad time) on 1883-11-18, a general telegraph signal went out, whistles blew, clocks in the various cities and towns in each time zone in Canada and the USA were reset and the standard time went into effect.  It sounds like an interesting time indeed.

Mike

jeffandnicole

Quote from: mgk920 on January 19, 2024, 01:49:47 PM
That sounds like the establishment of standard time in North America.  Prior to then, each locality kept its own solar time, relying of a prominent local clock as the 'standard'.  That worked well for a looooong time, until the advent of railroads made that impractical.  Keeping timetable schedules for public use, as well as real 'life safety' issues relating to train dispatching, meant that something had to be done about it.  After much hemming and hawing and *without any legislative involvement*, the various railroad companies agreed to set up standardized time zones and at noon (local railroad time) on 1883-11-18, a general telegraph signal went out, whistles blew, clocks in the various cities and towns in each time zone in Canada and the USA were reset and the standard time went into effect.  It sounds like an interesting time indeed.

Mike

And thus, long before most thought it could've happen, the advent of the digital clock always flashing 12:00 was born.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.