News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Random Thoughts

Started by kenarmy, March 29, 2021, 10:25:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZLoth

Quote from: Rothman on January 24, 2024, 05:48:41 PMWhatever did we do on planes before phones?

Depends on how far back in time you want to go. And I should also note that you should also include "tablets" and "laptops" as well as "phones".
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

kkt

Quote from: Scott5114 on January 24, 2024, 07:21:52 PM
Quote from: J N Winkler on January 24, 2024, 01:02:51 PM
Quote from: GaryV on January 24, 2024, 08:21:06 AMRemember typing, when you were supposed to put two spaces after a period and a colon? (But only one space after a semi-colon)

I still do it.  I'm not looking to start a discussion on politics or religion on here, but I think those who advocate using single spaces everywhere grossly overstate the obsolescence of the double space.

Maybe I want to use those bytes for something besides storing your precious extraneous spaces in, did you ever think of that? :P

Ha :)

So what's the street value of a byte of RAM these days?

Rothman

I used to bring a healthy CD collection and a Discman on planes...
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

formulanone

Quote from: Rothman on January 24, 2024, 05:48:41 PM
Whatever did we do on planes before phones?

We enjoyed the smell of newsprint on a Monday morning.

I look though my photo collection, type out a little work, or read an occasional book, for the most part. Movies and TV shows for the longer flights (usually 3 hours or more; too many unfinished movies by missing out on the last part because it wasn't available on the return trip).

Scott5114

Quote from: kkt on January 24, 2024, 07:33:37 PM
Quote from: GaryV on January 24, 2024, 08:21:06 AMRemember typing, when you were supposed to put two spaces after a period and a colon? (But only one space after a semi-colon)

I still do it.  I'm not looking to start a discussion on politics or religion on here, but I think those who advocate using single spaces everywhere grossly overstate the obsolescence of the double space.

Maybe I want to use those bytes for something besides storing your precious extraneous spaces in, did you ever think of that? :P

Ha :)

So what's the street value of a byte of RAM these days?

I recently bought 1073741824 bytes of RAM, and the regular retail price for it was $98.99 (I got it on sale though). That means each one of those extraneous spaces takes up $0.0000000028809881769121 worth of RAM.

I expect a check in the mail post haste.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

wanderer2575

Quote from: GaryV on January 24, 2024, 08:21:06 AM
Remember typing, when you were supposed to put two spaces after a period and a colon? (But only one space after a semi-colon)

That's how I do it.

Anecdote:  The February 1985 issue of Twilight Zone magazine had an interview with Stephen King and Peter Straub, in which they talked about how they collaborated to write The Talisman.  King made the comment that while working on his half of the copy editing, there were several places he thought he had written something really good and it turned out to have been written by Straub.  King said "The only way I could tell was the typing style.  (Straub) will double-space after periods and between dashes, and I don't do that."

D-Dey65

Would anybody try to steal a road sign in a situation like this?
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Mudflow_covering_SR_504_near_Coal_Bank_bridge,_July_1980.jpg
Even if you were to turn it over to the proper authorities for any reason?

Scott5114

Not for a W-series sign. If it were a route marker...

kphoger

Quote from: GaryV on January 24, 2024, 08:21:06 AM
Remember typing, when you were supposed to put two spaces after a period and a colon? (But only one space after a semi-colon)

If that were the case, then why do you stand sheepishly by while the forum converts extra spaces in posts to   entities in order to force them to show up?

Quote from: Scott5114 on January 24, 2024, 08:43:20 PM
I recently bought 1073741824 bytes of RAM, and the regular retail price for it was $98.99 (I got it on sale though). That means each one of those extraneous spaces takes up $0.0000000028809881769121 worth of RAM.

I expect a check in the mail post haste.

I still top the list of forum members with the most posts.  If I round my post count to 28,250, and if I estimate that I use an average of five instances of double-space per post, then I owe you . . . ummm . . . a few thousandths of a cent.

You can expect your check from me once it reaches something that can be rounded to a penny—which at this rate should be in approximately 182 years.  I expect you'll have to wait much longer for the other members' checks.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Scott5114

Oh goodness,   is actually five bytes. So each of those spaces actually has a cash value of $0.0000000144049408845605. Better keep those checkbooks handy!

J N Winkler

Quote from: kphoger on January 25, 2024, 10:18:12 AMYou can expect your check from me once it reaches something that can be rounded to a penny—which at this rate should be in approximately 182 years.  I expect you'll have to wait much longer for the other members' checks.

Dennis Rader (current release date of February 26, 2180) should be out by then.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

D-Dey65

More reasons to like the updated MUTCD -- the bicycle-related signage;
https://mutcd.fhwa.dot.gov/pdfs/11th_Edition/part9.pdf#page=24

mgk920

Quote from: D-Dey65 on January 26, 2024, 07:07:48 AM

I've had an idea in recent years of a Wisconsin-specific state bicycle route system (a state version of the USBR system) that uses a specially modified Wisconsin state highway shield as its route marker.  Make it smaller (bicycle-sized), reverse its colors (white numbers on a black (maybe green) shield) and put a common bicycle image in white at its top.  I think that this could work.

Mike

Poiponen13

Quote from: mgk920 on January 26, 2024, 02:02:46 PM

I've had an idea in recent years of a Wisconsin-specific state bicycle route system (a state version of the USBR system) that uses a specially modified Wisconsin state highway shield as its route marker.  Make it smaller (bicycle-sized), reverse its colors (white numbers on a black (maybe green) shield) and put a common bicycle image in white at its top.  I think that this could work.

Mike
The bicycle routes could also use the odd=north-south, even=east-west rule with numbers increasing in one direction.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Poiponen13 on January 26, 2024, 02:05:32 PM

Mike
The bicycle routes could also use the odd=north-south, even=east-west rule with numbers increasing in one direction.

Never heard of the U.S. Bike Route System?

Rothman

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 26, 2024, 07:05:00 PM

Mike

Heh.  Few people have and even when they have, the only bike route they know of is 76.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Scott5114

It's kind of funny how, unless it was taken on a cloudy day, GSV images of Las Vegas seem to always be washed out. You'd think they'd learn to adjust the white balance for the desert sun...

Kind of reminds me of the trope of Mexico always getting a sepia filter when it's shown in a movie. Mexico is much less brown, and Las Vegas is much less washed out, in real life.

tmoore952

Quote from: Rothman on January 24, 2024, 07:55:51 PM
I did too. But I also needed to bring noise cancelling headphones in order to hear the music.

tmoore952

Quote from: Rothman on January 26, 2024, 08:50:41 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 26, 2024, 07:05:00 PM

Mike

Heh.  Few people have and even when they have, the only bike route they know of is 76.
I have heard of it but there are no routes nearby (nearby meaning, that I don't have to car-transport my bike to use)

Like almost everything else in this forum that requires travel, something I will be able to utilize/enjoy/partake much more once a couple more years pass.

formulanone

I remember that many airlines had a ban on portable CD players during the 1990s. I was ignorant of that rule during a flight from Miami to Madrid and surreptitiously covered it up with my in-flight blanket. (To think I had only flown three round-trips during that decade...)

Rothman

Quote from: formulanone on January 27, 2024, 10:13:56 PM

I remember that many airlines had a ban on portable CD players during the 1990s. I was ignorant of that rule during a flight from Miami to Madrid and surreptitiously covered it up with my in-flight blanket. (To think I had only flown three round-trips during that decade...)
Huh.  I don't remember that ban.

TheCatalyst31

I was too young to have a CD player in the 90s, but I used that same trick to listen to my iPod during landings in the late 2000s. I also sometimes pretended to be asleep when the flight attendants came by for the pre-landing check.

formulanone

Quote from: Rothman on January 27, 2024, 11:20:00 PM

I think it was probably weakly enforced; not once was I advised to put away my camera when below 10,000 feet, even before the ban was lifted around October of 2013. I don't recall hearing of flights getting diverted over an upset passenger with a Discman (or equivalent).

You can find a few old articles and discussions in the dusty corners of the intertubes.

Rothman

Quote from: formulanone on January 29, 2024, 06:17:11 AM
Quote from: Rothman on January 27, 2024, 11:20:00 PM

I think it was probably weakly enforced; not once was I advised to put away my camera when below 10,000 feet, even before the ban was lifted around October of 2013. I don't recall hearing of flights getting diverted over an upset passenger with a Discman (or equivalent).

You can find a few old articles and discussions in the dusty corners of the intertubes.
I seem to remember them not wanting you to listen to them during takeoff and landing or something like that, but not an outright ban.

ZLoth

Quote from: Rothman on January 29, 2024, 07:06:27 AMI seem to remember them not wanting you to listen to them during takeoff and landing or something like that, but not an outright ban.

Thats because takeoff and landing is the most critical time of the flight for a emergency to occur. Just ask the passengers of US Airways Flight 1549 whose flight ended up in the Hudson due to a collision with geese.
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.