News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Random Thoughts

Started by kenarmy, March 29, 2021, 10:25:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rothman

Quote from: kkt on February 09, 2024, 10:37:50 AM
Quote from: Scott5114 on February 09, 2024, 10:17:21 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 09, 2024, 09:53:48 AM
Quote from: thspfc on February 09, 2024, 09:42:39 AM
Quote from: Scott5114 on February 09, 2024, 09:16:33 AM
Quote from: thspfc on February 09, 2024, 12:34:40 AM
Quote from: Scott5114 on February 08, 2024, 07:00:28 PM
Quote from: thspfc on February 08, 2024, 04:52:59 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on February 08, 2024, 12:54:57 PM
Quote from: kphoger on February 08, 2024, 12:35:18 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on February 08, 2024, 12:31:55 PM
Maybe we should move on from the concept of making excuses for self-serving pieces of shit.

As soon as you agree to take a job that doesn't pay you anything at all.

I will as soon as everyone else does.

Quote from: thspfc on February 08, 2024, 12:53:26 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on February 08, 2024, 11:23:17 AM
Maybe we should move on from the concept of things and services requiring compensation.
Maybe you should for once explain exactly how the hell this could ever work instead of just incessantly bitching about one of the most basic concepts of human history . . .

Sure. You'll have to pay my essay rate of $500/hour though.
I'll decline. The fact that you think this is a "gotcha" is hilarious.

The fact that you think I'm taking this conversation seriously is more hilarious.
So you're just refusing to explain your point.

Get that credit card ready, operators are standing by!
Still waiting.

Do you have your credit card standing by and are just on hold?

Our operators are experiencing higher than normal call volume. Please stay on the line! You are currently number

in the queue. We appreciate your business!

Your call is important to us.
Not as important as it is to you, but it is still important to us.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

wanderer2575

Maybe we should move on from the concept of making excuses for self-serving pieces of shit.

Maybe we should move on from the concept of things and services requiring compensation.
Maybe you should for once explain exactly how the hell this could ever work instead of just incessantly bitching about one of the most basic concepts of human history . . .

The fact that you think I'm taking this conversation seriously is more hilarious.

Still waiting.

Our operators are experiencing higher than normal call volume. Please stay on the line! You are currently number

And it may be monitored for quality-control purposes.  Also, please listen carefully as our menu options have changed.

jmacswimmer

Quote from: wanderer2575 on February 09, 2024, 11:22:55 AM

Still waiting.

And it may be monitored for quality-control purposes.  Also, please listen carefully as our menu options have changed.

If you'd like to receive a call back during normal business hours, please press 1 at any time. Otherwise, please remain on the line and a representative will be with you as soon as possible!
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

webny99

If you really want an explanation (to the extent that there is one), you'll have to find and respond to an instance when it was being said seriously.

kphoger

Quote from: vdeane on February 08, 2024, 09:28:51 PM
-Individuals would act as they do now.

Got it.

-Recycling centers would no longer send materials that can't be immediately used due to lack of cleaning, etc. to landfills.  Instead they would do what is needed to ensure that everything that can be made suitable for recycling, is.

Got it.

-Companies that make products would be required to use recycled materials first, not virgin material, even if virgin material is cheaper.

This is where you lose me still.  What does "first" mean?  They're only allowed to use virgin plastic if the entire world runs out of recycled plastic?

(Note that I've only ever been talking about plastic in this entire discussion.)  (And thank you for bearing with me and explaining your idea.  I appreciate it.)
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

vdeane

Quote from: kphoger on February 09, 2024, 01:14:43 PM
This is where you lose me still.  What does "first" mean?  They're only allowed to use virgin plastic if the entire world runs out of recycled plastic?
I'll admit that I don't have a detailed action plan on this.  Presumably some sort of government oversight would be required.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Brandon

Quote from: vdeane on February 09, 2024, 11:09:16 PM
I'll admit that I don't have a detailed action plan on this.  Presumably some sort of government oversight would be required.

Why?  If there's a market, let it sort itself out.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

vdeane

Quote from: Brandon on February 10, 2024, 09:56:37 AM

And how would the market do that?  This is the type of thing that requires some form of coordinated tracking of stuff that is put in recycle bins and how much is used, to verify that it's actually being done.  If left to the market, I could easily see businesses saying "there's no processed material to buy, therefore we're using virgin material like we do already" and recycling centers saying "there's nobody to take this stuff, so we're just sending it to the landfill like we do today, and also we're going bankrupt because the new cleaning mandates put us out of business without anyone buying anything" and nothing would meaningfully improve (and would in fact get worse) because of an exploited loophole.

Basically the entire premise of my line of thought is that, while the free market can be great at some things, it is absolutely atrocious at others, recycling among them.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

JayhawkCO

I'm assuming that you feel the same way about highways, yeah? No more public roads and the private sector will obviously fulfill needs for the masses?

formulanone

Super Bowl ads...

1) people always show off their phones in unnatural ways, as if they're the Statue of Liberty

2) families always have their heads buried in their phones

3) at least one ad will be too long and you'll honestly forget what they were selling

4) white guys are not hip to the latest of anything

5) bumping into famous people just sort of happens

6) at least one beer ad will be memorable, usually with an inverse proportion to its actual desirability

7) will probably make fun of AI at least twice

TheCatalyst31

Quote from: formulanone on February 11, 2024, 10:54:32 AM
7) will probably make fun of AI at least twice
It's still the pregame show, and I just saw two straight ads making fun of AI, so congrats on calling that one.

7/8

Quote from: JayhawkCO on February 10, 2024, 11:28:13 PM

I'm assuming that you feel the same way about highways, yeah? No more public roads and the private sector will obviously fulfill needs for the masses?

Our country needs a private-sidewalk voucher system, but, thanks to the incestuous interplay between our corrupt federal government and the public-sidewalk lobby, it will never happen.

Scott5114

Less than 24 hours after arriving in Las Vegas I saw a hobo try and fistfight a pickup truck. While it was moving.

The title "entertainment capital of the world" seems to be an understatement.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

ZLoth

Do prople actually order checks with custom backgrounds anymore? I write so few checks that a book can easily last for two years, and I tend to order the cheapest checks that my financial institution offers. Out of curiosity, I looked around at some customer back grounds, and some Star Trek checks caught my eye.... only for the cost of a pack (100 checks) to cause me sticker shock. What's the point?
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

Max Rockatansky

I'm still on checkbooks which have my address from the home I owned in Scottsdale until 2010.

kkt

Quote from: ZLoth on February 14, 2024, 05:25:29 PM
Do prople actually order checks with custom backgrounds anymore? I write so few checks that a book can easily last for two years, and I tend to order the cheapest checks that my financial institution offers. Out of curiosity, I looked around at some customer back grounds, and some Star Trek checks caught my eye.... only for the cost of a pack (100 checks) to cause me sticker shock. What's the point?

Star Trek checks will be more expensive than most.  I got National Parks.  That order should last me several years and considering how long they last it's not that much.

Rothman

People still order checks?  I haven't done so in years.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

zachary_amaryllis

Quote from: Scott5114 on February 07, 2024, 01:44:19 PM
The fundamental problem with America is that nobody wants to do the right thing if the right thing isn't profitable.

You're not wrong.

I don't fundamentally 'object' to the whole recycling thing. It's just a pain in the rear.

Once every 3 months or so, Mom has me load up all the recyclables. She's, I'm guessing bored, so she actually washes the plastic containers. It's 24 miles to the recycling dropoff point, because they don't pick them up where I live. I figure I probably break about even, since at some polnt I've hauled all this stuff UP the hill, and I try to make sure I have more than one 'thing' to do when I go to town.

I'll meet everyone sorta halfway, for my own things. I recycle aluminum, since I drink a lot of canned soda. I sort my cardboard stuff and recycle that. Even the plastic bottles, that Mom has said just bring inside and she'll wash them. I get paid for the aluminum, and it's usually enough for lunch or something while I'm out.

It's not that stuff isn't biodegradable. It's just that it doesn't biodegrade, in a time frame convenient for us. If you're throwing stuff in the landfill, you're really just putting stuff back where you got it. And landfills don't have to be the world-ending things we think they are. Think Mount Trashmore in VA Beach. How cool is skating on top of 20 years of used diapers?
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

JayhawkCO

Quote from: Rothman on February 15, 2024, 07:06:57 AM

I think I've done it twice in the last 15 years. And the only reason I had to do it the second time is because I couldn't find the ones I ordered the first time. (Later found them in a closet.)

Quote from: zachary_amaryllis on February 15, 2024, 07:31:24 AM
The fundamental problem with America is that nobody wants to do the right thing if the right thing isn't profitable.

You're not wrong.

I don't fundamentally 'object' to the whole recycling thing. It's just a pain in the rear.

Once every 3 months or so, Mom has me load up all the recyclables. She's, I'm guessing bored, so she actually washes the plastic containers. It's 24 miles to the recycling dropoff point, because they don't pick them up where I live. I figure I probably break about even, since at some polnt I've hauled all this stuff UP the hill, and I try to make sure I have more than one 'thing' to do when I go to town.

I'll meet everyone sorta halfway, for my own things. I recycle aluminum, since I drink a lot of canned soda. I sort my cardboard stuff and recycle that. Even the plastic bottles, that Mom has said just bring inside and she'll wash them. I get paid for the aluminum, and it's usually enough for lunch or something while I'm out.

It's not that stuff isn't biodegradable. It's just that it doesn't biodegrade, in a time frame convenient for us. If you're throwing stuff in the landfill, you're really just putting stuff back where you got it. And landfills don't have to be the world-ending things we think they are. Think Mount Trashmore in VA Beach. How cool is skating on top of 20 years of used diapers?

My main annoyance with recycling here is that it's not every week same as the trash; it's only every other week. So I always have to remember if it's the right week or not. Obviously, if I can't remember, I just put both out and then bring it back full if it's not the right week.

1995hoo

The most recent time we ordered checks, we used Walmartchecks.com. It was considerably cheaper than ordering them through the bank and they were both fast and reliable.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

kkt

Quote from: JayhawkCO on February 15, 2024, 12:27:54 PM

I think I've done it twice in the last 15 years. And the only reason I had to do it the second time is because I couldn't find the ones I ordered the first time. (Later found them in a closet.)

Quote from: zachary_amaryllis on February 15, 2024, 07:31:24 AM

You're not wrong.

My main annoyance with recycling here is that it's not every week same as the trash; it's only every other week. So I always have to remember if it's the right week or not. Obviously, if I can't remember, I just put both out and then bring it back full if it's not the right week.

Our city's solid waste department sends out a calendar once a year with all the recycling weeks shown.  Also which holidays they observe by making all the pickups a day later that week.

kphoger

Recycling service costs extra, so it's a non-starter for me.  Besides which, I'm not even in charge of my own trash service:  the landlords are.

For what it's worth, most of Wichita's recyclables end up at a plant in Hutchinson, and the plant manager of that facility has said that the requirement to clean items before tossing is out of date.

Quote from: Wichita Beacon — 26-JUN-2023
"We do not require any of that prep work to be done," Shaw said. "The mills are OK with it in an uncleaned condition."
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: kphoger on February 15, 2024, 01:08:02 PM
Recycling service costs extra, so it's a non-starter for me.  Besides which, I'm not even in charge of my own trash service:  the landlords are.
[/quote

My brother-in-law gave me this line too. For me, it's an extra $4 a month.

Rothman

Quote from: 1995hoo on February 15, 2024, 12:44:42 PM

The most recent time we ordered checks, we used Walmartchecks.com. It was considerably cheaper than ordering them through the bank and they were both fast and reliable.
That's all fine and dandy, but I don't have to order checks at all.  I've had an ample, hardly ever used supply for a decade now.

ZLoth

Quote from: Rothman on February 15, 2024, 10:47:35 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on February 15, 2024, 12:44:42 PMThe most recent time we ordered checks, we used Walmartchecks.com. It was considerably cheaper than ordering them through the bank and they were both fast and reliable.
That's all fine and dandy, but I don't have to order checks at all.  I've had an ample, hardly ever used supply for a decade now.

Which goes back to some of my original questions:

• Does anyone really look at these custom check background even if has a Route 66 Background?
  • Does anyone really care that your customer check background has a Boba Fett there?
  • Whats the point? All that I care about when I receive a check is the amount and that it isn't made of rubber!
Thanks, I'll stick with the cheapest and most basic (and boring) checks my financial institution offers. At the rate I write checks, they will last me a few years.
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.