South Carolina

Started by wriddle082, January 30, 2011, 07:53:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wriddle082

Not sure if this question has ever come up in other threads, but does anybody know if SC 125 through the Savannah River Site is open to the general public?  There is a possibility that I would have to travel between Edgefield and Allendale Counties for work soon, and that route looks like it might save me some time.

Bryant5493

Horry County, SC Roadgeeking

Be well,

Bryant
Check out my YouTube page (http://youtube.com/Bryant5493). I have numerous road videos of Metro Atlanta and other areas in the Southeast.

I just signed up on photobucket -- here's my page (http://s594.photobucket.com/albums/tt24/Bryant5493).

wriddle082

I suppose SCDOT is smart in starting this project after Labor Day, and only the northbound lanes are being worked on...

http://www.scdot.org/ArtMan/publish/article_1261.shtml

Bryant5493

The Bypass (U.S. 17) - Myrtle Beach, S.C.

Be well,

Bryant
Check out my YouTube page (http://youtube.com/Bryant5493). I have numerous road videos of Metro Atlanta and other areas in the Southeast.

I just signed up on photobucket -- here's my page (http://s594.photobucket.com/albums/tt24/Bryant5493).

bhb192

Quote from: wriddle082 on August 21, 2011, 08:16:08 PM
Not sure if this question has ever come up in other threads, but does anybody know if SC 125 through the Savannah River Site is open to the general public?  There is a possibility that I would have to travel between Edgefield and Allendale Counties for work soon, and that route looks like it might save me some time.
You've probably figured it out by now, but yes SC 125 is open to the public. The only thing is that you must keep moving, you cannot pull over except for emergencies. Also, do not take any pictures or record videos of the highway through the Savannah River Site.

agentsteel53

Quote from: bhb192 on April 04, 2012, 11:45:59 PM

You've probably figured it out by now, but yes SC 125 is open to the public. The only thing is that you must keep moving, you cannot pull over except for emergencies. Also, do not take any pictures or record videos of the highway through the Savannah River Site.

bleccch.  who invited the TSA to the SC DOT party?
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

NE2

Google's got photos, so fuck 'em.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

bugo

Quote from: wriddle082 on July 20, 2011, 11:26:28 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on July 18, 2011, 05:08:37 PM

I drove through there two weeks ago (heading north) and the blue-and-white signs are gone, probably because (from what I've read in the news) the speed cameras are gone. The Ridgeland speedtrap was in full force, though; one cop up on an overpass shooting radar and using a handheld radio to communicate to four cop cars located further down the road. I knew of Ridgeland's reputation and had my cruise control set to 70, but plenty of other people didn't and were all dancing on their brakes and going 55 mph (in a 70-mph zone) when they saw all the cops. I kind of wish the cops would ticket those people for obstructing traffic!

I noticed that too, they are gone.  I had been meaning to look back at news reports to confirm that Ridgeland had the cameras done away with (before they did away with Ridgeland), but haven't had a chance to do that.

I will still never stop at any Ridgeland exit for motorist services, on principal.  Whenever I go through that area (these days it's at least two round trips per month), I make sure to get my gas in Hardeeville, or closer to my home along I-26 where it's a lot cheaper.

I refuse to shop at Panama or Shady Point, OK, for the same reason.  The US 59 expressway goes right through these speed traps instead of bypassing them.  ODOT cheaped out and the local pigs get to harass motorists from out of town.  Shady Point is barely a town, so why does it even have a police department?  It's a mile from Panama and about 3 miles from Poteau.

bugo

Quote from: 1995hoo on July 25, 2011, 05:19:22 PM
Quote from: wriddle082 on July 20, 2011, 11:26:28 PMI noticed that too, they are gone.  I had been meaning to look back at news reports to confirm that Ridgeland had the cameras done away with (before they did away with Ridgeland), but haven't had a chance to do that.

I will still never stop at any Ridgeland exit for motorist services, on principal.  Whenever I go through that area (these days it's at least two round trips per month), I make sure to get my gas in Hardeeville, or closer to my home along I-26 where it's a lot cheaper.

I hadn't seen the news reports about them being gone before I drove through there, so I just slowed down to the speed limit in order to play it safe, and then after we got home I did a search and found that they were gone. But in a town that pulls a stunt like that I figure that they're still going to be out of control in trying to write tickets, and I guessed right!

I agree with you regarding not stopping there. Our trip earlier this month was the first time I had driven through there since 1991, and my gas gauge was starting to get low and my wife was getting hungry, but I said I would not stop in a chickenshit town like that and she understood my point.

I think it should be illegal for local pigs to patrol major highways.  If it's a surface street that goes through town that's one thing, but if it's a freeway or an expressway that doesn't even go through the town itself then the local cops shouldn't be allowed to patrol it or even to drive on it.

agentsteel53

Quote from: bugo on April 05, 2012, 12:37:48 AM
I think it should be illegal for local pigs to patrol major highways.  If it's a surface street that goes through town that's one thing, but if it's a freeway or an expressway that doesn't even go through the town itself then the local cops shouldn't be allowed to patrol it or even to drive on it.

I tentatively agree with you on this on grounds of jurisdiction (outside town boundaries, town police should not have authority), but the problem is that there is a criminal activity called "speeding", which is kept on the books for revenue purposes, while "reckless driving" - encompassing all manners of idiotic behavior, fast or slow - is tolerated because, hey, enforcing it requires effort.

jake@aaroads.com

Takumi

Quote from: agentsteel53 on April 05, 2012, 12:48:22 AM
while "reckless driving" - encompassing all manners of idiotic behavior, fast or slow - is tolerated because, hey, enforcing it requires effort.

Except in Virginia, where 81 MPH is automatically reckless driving no matter what the speed limit.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Alex

Is South Carolina 2 through central Cayce still state maintained, or is just a case of poor signage? It was not signed from US 21-176-321, and only one shield was posted on the L shaped route (State and Frink Streets) until Frink Street west at SC-35.

FYI, Taking SC-35 south to I-77, noticed that the road continues south of the interchange now. Google Maps shows it as the 12th Street Extension through to Old Wire Road.

roadman65

Does anyone know if Camden, SC still has that long 40 mph zone along US 1?  The last time I was there in 03, it seemed like it took forever to get through there as the city limits continue pretty far from its central business district.  Even after SC 34 departs from US 1 you still have a long stretch of 40 mph, which I thought was odd.  You think that they would raise it to at least 45 from SC 34 to the end of the city.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

jcarte29

So, I am pretty stoked, because today I had my first chance to drive to Charleston SC (I had been there a few times with my family in the late 80s). Specifically I was excited about driving I-526 over to North Charleston where I had business for work (so rock on for a work-paid trip!).

I do have one question, is US 17 being widened in/near Mt Pleasant? It surely looks like it could support/need it...
Interstates I've driven on (Complete and/or partial, no particular order)
------------------
40, 85, 95, 77, 277(NC), 485(NC), 440(NC), 540(NC), 795(NC), 140(NC), 73, 74, 840(NC), 26, 20, 75, 285(GA), 81, 64, 71, 275(OH), 465(IN), 65, 264(VA), 240(NC), 295(VA), 526(SC), 985(GA), 395(FL), 195(FL)

Alex

I downloaded some files from SCDOT and SC-2 is still shown through central Cayce. SC-555 is vastly unsigned south of SC-277, so it appears that it is just a case of poor signage between both routes.

Was researching some history on I-77 and such, and stumbled across the Airport Connector history. I drove right past it the other day and had no idea of its history or significance. It was originally touted as a road linking the airport with I-20 to the north and I-26 to the east. 2001 articles touted a completion of the connector to I-26 by 2011, but only the portion between S.C. 302 and S.C. 602 was ever built (July 2004). Officials tried to get stimulus money for the project in 2009, and through til now, its funding is still uncertain. You can view some of the right of way for it on the Lexington County GIS "Maptopia".

Also learned specific dates and segments for the completion of the Southeastern Beltway portion of I-77 for a future AARoads update and found one article that mentions the sign changes on I-26 eastbound for I-126 that read "ROUTE I-126".

wriddle082

Quote from: Alex on April 17, 2012, 11:29:32 PM
I downloaded some files from SCDOT and SC-2 is still shown through central Cayce. SC-555 is vastly unsigned south of SC-277, so it appears that it is just a case of poor signage between both routes.

Was researching some history on I-77 and such, and stumbled across the Airport Connector history. I drove right past it the other day and had no idea of its history or significance. It was originally touted as a road linking the airport with I-20 to the north and I-26 to the east. 2001 articles touted a completion of the connector to I-26 by 2011, but only the portion between S.C. 302 and S.C. 602 was ever built (July 2004). Officials tried to get stimulus money for the project in 2009, and through til now, its funding is still uncertain. You can view some of the right of way for it on the Lexington County GIS "Maptopia".

Also learned specific dates and segments for the completion of the Southeastern Beltway portion of I-77 for a future AARoads update and found one article that mentions the sign changes on I-26 eastbound for I-126 that read "ROUTE I-126".

There really aren't very many major streets in SC cities that aren't maintained by the state, and SC 2 is certainly one of them.  Pretty much just poor signage, which I've found isn't nearly the problem in SC as it is in TN.

Not as familiar with SC 555 since I don't venture to that side of Columbia very often.

Now the Airport Connector, I really didn't know about that!  I've driven on the John Hardee Expressway (the section between SC 302 and SC 602) many times since I don't live too far from SC 302.  It does make more sense to me now that you mention it, and I know I'd use it quite frequently if it were ever built.  The stretch to I-26 is probably mostly a clear path, but a lot of work will have to be done to tie it in with the US 21/176/321/I-77 interchange complex.  Especially if you're merging in from the connector to I-26 east, and you intend on going to I-77 north, you'd have to weave two lanes to the left!  But I know the area leading to I-20 is dense residential, so I'd be curious to see what their ROW plans really are.

Quote from: Alex on April 15, 2012, 09:34:19 PM
FYI, Taking SC-35 south to I-77, noticed that the road continues south of the interchange now. Google Maps shows it as the 12th Street Extension through to Old Wire Road.

Sometimes I'll take SC 2 to SC 35 to access I-77.  I believe the SC 35 12th St Extension was built around 10 years ago.  The S-curve bridge over the wetlands and railroad is pretty neat.  Near I-77 is the next new commercial/industrial boom area for the Columbia area.  The corporate HQ for SCANA energy is located near there, and south of I-77 they are building a new Amazon.com distribution facility.

mjb2002

Quote from: formulanone on August 08, 2011, 04:50:04 PM
Just came back from South Carolina, and yes, they have a "Move Over Law".

Actually, I like it, because you get some idea that there's a potential speed trap coming up. Only catch is that it should only include police and emergency vehicles, all others are optional (although I apply the rule of "don't be a dick" for stranded motorists or any people alongside the road, if possible).

I like the idea of the Move Over Law including transportation workers. Transportation workers have been killed on the job in SC in the past.

mjb2002

Quote from: wriddle082 on August 21, 2011, 08:16:08 PM

To answer your question about SC 125, it is closed now as Aiken's SCDOT is doing road work there. The People Sentinel reported on that last week.

agentsteel53

Quote from: mjb2002 on October 30, 2012, 05:00:02 AM

I like the idea of the Move Over Law including transportation workers. Transportation workers have been killed on the job in SC in the past.

I do not like the Move Over Law.  More than once I've been forced into the left median by an overzealous trucker; once coming within two or three feet of plowing a bridge abutment.

jake@aaroads.com

Alps

Quote from: agentsteel53 on October 30, 2012, 09:46:11 AM
Quote from: mjb2002 on October 30, 2012, 05:00:02 AM

I do not like the Move Over Law.  More than once I've been forced into the left median by an overzealous trucker; once coming within two or three feet of plowing a bridge abutment.
Problem is the law is properly stated, "Move Over IF SAFE," but people read that as, "It is safe to MOVE OVER." I have often inserted myself in the right lane intentionally, knowing I'll be stuck there, but even at 50 mph I can still get by the trucks going 40 in the left lane.

Alex

Carter informed me that this button copy sign was replaced this week with a new Clearview-based sign complete with the MUTCD-compliant "LEFT-EXIT" tab.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: agentsteel53 on April 05, 2012, 12:48:22 AM
Quote from: bugo on April 05, 2012, 12:37:48 AM

I tentatively agree with you on this on grounds of jurisdiction (outside town boundaries, town police should not have authority), but the problem is that there is a criminal activity called "speeding", which is kept on the books for revenue purposes, while "reckless driving" - encompassing all manners of idiotic behavior, fast or slow - is tolerated because, hey, enforcing it requires effort.

In Virginia, municipal cops have jurisdiction some distance outside of their corporate limits into nearby unincorporated counties.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Alex

301 Bypass completed

QuoteThe final leg of the US 301 Florence Bypass connecting 301 North with 301 South opened last week following a ribbon-cutting ceremony on Nov. 29.

The bypass is now complete with a three and a half mile extension from Freedom Boulevard at the Pamplico Highway to the intersection at National Cemetery Road. This new part of the bypass connects to the section at National Cemetery Road and proceeds on to East Palmetto St. at the Florence Flea Market. The cost of the two year project was $15.5 million.

Mayor Frank Willis said this new road should help reduce traffic downtown and spurn growth in the eastern and southern sides of town.

Did not even realize that U.S. 301 had been relocated away from Florence until looking at the latest S.C. Official Highway Map.

hbelkins

Quote from: cpzilliacus on December 20, 2012, 06:37:43 PM
In Virginia, municipal cops have jurisdiction some distance outside of their corporate limits into nearby unincorporated counties.

Same in Kentucky. In my little county, the police in the county-seat town have countywide jurisdiction.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Tom958

I've been driving from my home near Atlanta to Charleston to work every week since November. I've composed a textwall of a trip report about it in my head-- maybe I'll post it someday. I will say, though: My opinion of SC highways has improved as a result of my travels. :)

One comment: After trying a variety of routes, my compadres and I have concluded that the best route between teh ATL and Charleston is 20/26, but connecting between them via US 1 in Columbia. The shorter distance outweighs the slower speeds on US 1, the shortcut avoids surprisingly frequent congestion at Malfunction Junction, and there's good C store with cheap gas at US 11 and I-20.

And a question: I've yet to see a single Clearview sign anywhere I've been down here. Is SC's dalliance with Clearview over?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.