News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Nevada

Started by gonealookin, November 27, 2018, 11:43:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheStranger

On a Tahoe vacation this weekend and...oof.  Night driving on US 50 between Stateline and NV 28, and on NV 28 all the way to the California border...

Poor lighting, faded lane lines, and lack of reflectors or anything on most of those stretches.   That was a challenge!
Chris Sampang

Occidental Tourist

Does NDOT put recessed reflectors on highways that get plowed?

gonealookin

No.  NDOT does striping only, plus the rumble strips on the center line and the fog line.

A striping job never survives even a mild Tahoe winter.  Our roads have to be restriped every spring.  Caltrans seems to be more diligent in getting that done than NDOT.

Most of the meteor crater potholes on the main roads have received at least a band-aid patch.  Watch out for those on side roads though.

roadfro

I don't think any agencies in Nevada regularly use recessed reflectors.

NDOT uses raised pavement markers in several areas of District 1, but that's primarily within Clark County. You go much north of urban limits of Las Vegas, and it's all paint.

LG-H871

Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

cl94

Lines...yeah, tell me about it. I work up there and some parts of both US 50 and SR 207 have been effectively unmarked for months. Spray paint markings for future painting went down within the past 2 weeks, so that will hopefully be addressed soon. US 50 has been repainted east of Spooner Summit within the past 2 weeks. With the resurfacing project on 50 being pushed back a couple of years, don't hold your breath for improved/recessed markings like have been used elsewhere. And potholes, there are some massive ones that have been around for several months. Again, good luck getting Douglas County or whoever to fix those with their limited budgets and staffing.

NDOT has trialed recessed/snowplowable reflectors in the past, but does not currently use them. Old ones exist along I-80 east of Sparks and along US 95 in Winnemucca. It should be noted that Caltrans doesn't use them in most of the Sierra, despite recessed reflectors being used in other mountainous parts of the state. Just too much snow for them to survive. Nor do most other states/regions with extreme snowfall have them.

For surface markers, NDOT and local agencies will throw them on raised medians and curbs in Northern Nevada, but never on the driving surface. Only Clark County gets the "traditional" surface markers.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

cl94

Speak of the devil- NDOT finally started line painting in the basin. US 50 north/east of Zephyr Cove has been repainted within the last week. West of there has not been done yet.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Plutonic Panda

Various road projects approved to soon start if they haven't already:

https://www.dot.nv.gov/Home/Components/News/News/7789/395

roadfro

Mod Note: Moved messages related to I-15/Tropicana (and the adjacent In-N-Out) to the existing "I-15/Tropicana Interchange Rebuild" thread, starting here. –Roadfro
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

TJS23

Searched this up but didn't see it mentioned, if you are going east on NV 375 from US 6, the first reassurance sign down the way is a US Shield!

roadfro

Quote from: TJS23 on June 19, 2023, 01:27:31 AM
Searched this up but didn't see it mentioned, if you are going east on NV 375 from US 6, the first reassurance sign down the way is a US Shield!

Intriguing. And it wasn't like that the last time the Google Street View car went through just last year.

US/State shield mix-ups are rare in Nevada. I've only ever seen two instances–and one was on a pair of street name signs, on which use of shields are also incredibly rare (this instance was the only time I've ever seen shields on street name signs in Nevada).

roadfro

Mod Note: Split question about lack of cancelled freeways in Vegas and ensuing discussion out to its own thread. –Roadfro
Cancelled freeways

The Ghostbuster

I know the southern terminus of Interstate 580 at the US 50/US 395 southern junction will eventually be converted to a single-point-urban-interchange. Does anyone think that intersection will be converted into an interchange anytime soon?

cl94

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on June 22, 2023, 01:23:30 PM
I know the southern terminus of Interstate 580 at the US 50/US 395 southern junction will eventually be converted to a single-point-urban-interchange. Does anyone think that intersection will be converted into an interchange anytime soon?

Define "soon". Next 30 years? Probably. Next 5-10? It's not currently funded and there are higher priorities.

gonealookin

Construction of the SPUI is Phase 2B-4 of the Carson City Freeway project.  When Phase 2B-3 (extension from Fairview Ave. to South Carson Street) was completed, the projected schedule for Phase 2B-4 was the late 2020s, pending funding.

The major backup that occurs there is in the left turn from the end of the freeway, coming southbound, onto southbound US 395.

Even as a local who passes through that intersection pretty frequently, I don't see construction of the SPUI being very high on anybody's priority list.  My own guess is that intersection remains unchanged until such time as traffic on US 395 from Carson City down to Minden creates a push to upgrade those 10 miles or so of US 395 to full freeway.

gonealookin

NDOT is proposing an experimental "temporary road diet" later this summer for a short portion of US 50 along the east shore of Lake Tahoe.  Link to story.

QuoteThe Nevada Department of Transportation (NDOT) is proposing to temporarily restripe a one-mile section of US50 on Tahoe's East Shore to reconfigure the highway from two lanes to one lane in each direction, with a middle turn lane. Highway officials say this is a limited test project aimed at enhancing transportation safety and access on the corridor.
NDOT is planning to start the project in August and have it in place through September. The section of US50 proposed to be restriped is from south of Zephyr Cove Resort to Round Hill Pines Beach Resort. The test reconfiguration will restripe the highway from two lanes to one lane in each direction, allowing room for a two-way middle turn lane for designated turns to and from numerous driveways and side streets. Peak summer season traffic provides an opportunity to test roadway concepts which NDOT has received public feedback on.
The striping will be required to be removed after the trial period.

There is an ongoing proposal to apply the road diet to about a 7-mile stretch of the highway, from a mile or so north of the SR 207 junction up to Glenbrook.  As the highway is currently striped there is no center turn lane, just a double-striped yellow line, no dedicated left turn lanes to the side streets so people making left turns have to stop in the through travel lane, and very little shoulder room for bicyclists.  The tradeoff is obviously losing the second through travel lane in each direction, and not too surprisingly there is a fair amount of community opposition to the road diet, to the point that bumper stickers have been printed:  "US 50:  KEEP FOUR LANES".

The portion which will be temporarily restriped is shown, approximately, here:  https://goo.gl/maps/udpj5HXDRymiixWT9

roadfro

Quote from: gonealookin on June 27, 2023, 12:58:01 PM
NDOT is proposing an experimental "temporary road diet" later this summer for a short portion of US 50 along the east shore of Lake Tahoe.  Link to story.

QuoteThe Nevada Department of Transportation (NDOT) is proposing to temporarily restripe a one-mile section of US50 on Tahoe's East Shore to reconfigure the highway from two lanes to one lane in each direction, with a middle turn lane. Highway officials say this is a limited test project aimed at enhancing transportation safety and access on the corridor.
NDOT is planning to start the project in August and have it in place through September. The section of US50 proposed to be restriped is from south of Zephyr Cove Resort to Round Hill Pines Beach Resort. The test reconfiguration will restripe the highway from two lanes to one lane in each direction, allowing room for a two-way middle turn lane for designated turns to and from numerous driveways and side streets. Peak summer season traffic provides an opportunity to test roadway concepts which NDOT has received public feedback on.

There is an ongoing proposal to apply the road diet to about a 7-mile stretch of the highway, from a mile or so north of the SR 207 junction up to Glenbrook.  As the highway is currently striped there is no center turn lane, just a double-striped yellow line, no dedicated left turn lanes to the side streets so people making left turns have to stop in the through travel lane, and very little shoulder room for bicyclists.  The tradeoff is obviously losing the second through travel lane in each direction, and not too surprisingly there is a fair amount of community opposition to the road diet, to the point that bumper stickers have been printed:  "US 50:  KEEP FOUR LANES".

The portion which will be temporarily restriped is shown, approximately, here:  https://goo.gl/maps/udpj5HXDRymiixWT9

Very interesting.

I'm not up at the lake enough to have insight into all the traffic woes. But I feel like along this part of US 50, a road diet could potentially work... I was similarly opposed to Washoe RTC's reduction to Virginia Street near UNR, turning a travel lane into a bus/bike lane–a couple years in now, and it's not as horrible as I thought it'd be (although it's not pleasant during football/basketball and other major events on campus).

Regardless of the outcome of this experiment, I think the one thing NDOT really needs to do along US 50 in Tahoe is have better accommodation for bikes and peds. The trail they built along SR 28 from Incline down to Sand Harbor seems like a very nice addition, and extending that further south down 28 & 50 could provide a great recreational connection and potentially increase safety in the highway corridor by moving bikes out of conflict with traffic and parked cars along both highways.

gonealookin

Quote from: roadfro on June 28, 2023, 12:21:27 PM

Very interesting.

I'm not up at the lake enough to have insight into all the traffic woes. But I feel like along this part of US 50, a road diet could potentially work... I was similarly opposed to Washoe RTC's reduction to Virginia Street near UNR, turning a travel lane into a bus/bike lane–a couple years in now, and it's not as horrible as I thought it'd be (although it's not pleasant during football/basketball and other major events on campus).

Regardless of the outcome of this experiment, I think the one thing NDOT really needs to do along US 50 in Tahoe is have better accommodation for bikes and peds. The trail they built along SR 28 from Incline down to Sand Harbor seems like a very nice addition, and extending that further south down 28 & 50 could provide a great recreational connection and potentially increase safety in the highway corridor by moving bikes out of conflict with traffic and parked cars along both highways.

It seems that there was so much opposition to the US 50 road diet from the community and Douglas County government that NDOT has thrown in the towel on even doing this as an experiment.

https://www.recordcourier.com/news/2023/jul/21/state-highway-50-restriping-postponed-indefinitely/

QuoteHighway 50 is expected to undergo repaving next year, Tedford said, with work going out to bid over the next two months with the state Transportation Board of Directors hearing the proposal in October or November.

He said at the end of that project the road will be striped similar to its current condition, without reduced sections.

heynow415

Quote from: gonealookin on July 24, 2023, 08:10:13 PM
Quote from: roadfro on June 28, 2023, 12:21:27 PM

QuoteThe Nevada Department of Transportation (NDOT) is proposing to temporarily restripe a one-mile section of US50 on Tahoe’s East Shore to reconfigure the highway from two lanes to one lane in each direction, with a middle turn lane. Highway officials say this is a limited test project aimed at enhancing transportation safety and access on the corridor.

Very interesting.

I'm not up at the lake enough to have insight into all the traffic woes. But I feel like along this part of US 50, a road diet could potentially work... I was similarly opposed to Washoe RTC's reduction to Virginia Street near UNR, turning a travel lane into a bus/bike lane—a couple years in now, and it's not as horrible as I thought it'd be (although it's not pleasant during football/basketball and other major events on campus).

It seems that there was so much opposition to the US 50 road diet from the community and Douglas County government that NDOT has thrown in the towel on even doing this as an experiment.

https://www.recordcourier.com/news/2023/jul/21/state-highway-50-restriping-postponed-indefinitely/

That's really unfortunate, but not uncommon.  We had a similar situation locally with a road diet being a likely solution to several problems on a roadway, including speeding, substandard lane widths, lots of bicyclists, visibility issues for drivers pulling out of side streets, etc.  The situation on the ground and the data (collision history, traffic volumes, roadway geometry, vehicle types, etc.) all pointed to the lane diet.  Given the considerable concern over doing a road diet, there was the opportunity to do it as an experiment since the road was scheduled for repaving a year later.  That the community wouldn't even entertain doing it as an experiment caused the whole thing to be dropped.  Now they still have all the issues that they've been complaining about for years and they got nothing resolved.  The fear of change, any change, even if to try something out, strikes again.

roadfro

Mod Note: Three posts in this thread from 8/30/2023 discussing the US 95 Downtown Access Project in Las Vegas were moved to the existing thread here at the link below. –Roadfro
US 95 Downtown Access Project, Las Vegas

roadman65

Was the part of Fremont Street in LV  that is now The Fremont Experience ever part of US 93/95/466? I can't find any old maps to show if it was Las Vegas Blvd or Main Street that was US 91 through Downtown Vegas. If it were the former it would be know as all three routes would have turned from Fremont to LV Blvd.  If it were the latter, than all three US routes would have remained to Main ( which would have used the pavement where the infamous pedestrian mall now is, and then turned onto Main in front of The Plaza Hotel.

Does anyone have info regarding the Downtown LV former and historic alignments of all four US routes that were the main arteries of the city?
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Occidental Tourist

From a 1968 map on historic aerials, Las Vegas Blvd was US 466 and US 91 immediately south of the Fremont/Las Vegas Blvd intersection. US 91, US 93, and US 95 ran north along Las Vegas Blvd from the Fremont intersection.

The only routing that appears to have used Main Street is Alt US 91.  The portion of Fremont that is currently the Fremont Street Experience did not have any routings along it.

ClassicHasClass

Pretty sure that the earliest routing of NV 5 went down Main St with US 91, and branched off on Fremont there. US 95 was designated over that alignment officially in 1940, so if that were the case, the modern Fremont St Experience would have been US 95 for at least a couple years until everything got shifted to LV Blvd.

US 395

Quote from: gonealookin on June 22, 2023, 01:48:18 PM
Construction of the SPUI is Phase 2B-4 of the Carson City Freeway project.  When Phase 2B-3 (extension from Fairview Ave. to South Carson Street) was completed, the projected schedule for Phase 2B-4 was the late 2020s, pending funding.

The major backup that occurs there is in the left turn from the end of the freeway, coming southbound, onto southbound US 395.

Even as a local who passes through that intersection pretty frequently, I don't see construction of the SPUI being very high on anybody's priority list.  My own guess is that intersection remains unchanged until such time as traffic on US 395 from Carson City down to Minden creates a push to upgrade those 10 miles or so of US 395 to full freeway.

In my opinion, NDOT should've just gotten it done and over with. That way it's already there for if and/or when traffic counts go up and Lake Tahoe-bound traffic can keep going without stopping.

gonealookin

Quote from: US 395 on December 03, 2023, 11:54:02 PM

In my opinion, NDOT should've just gotten it done and over with. That way it's already there for if and/or when traffic counts go up and Lake Tahoe-bound traffic can keep going without stopping.

NDOT probably would have liked to get it "done and over with" too.  There's that minor issue of funding the project.  There was enough of a stink from some Las Vegas legislators about that segment of I-580 from Mt. Rose Highway to the north end of Washoe Valley being an allegedly extravagant six lanes rather than four.  I'm sure there will be some sort of upgrading of that intersection eventually but I haven't heard much to suggest that "late 2020s" is a realistic timeline any more.

US 395

Quote from: gonealookin on December 04, 2023, 12:54:26 AM
Quote from: US 395 on December 03, 2023, 11:54:02 PM

NDOT probably would have liked to get it "done and over with" too.  There's that minor issue of funding the project.  There was enough of a stink from some Las Vegas legislators about that segment of I-580 from Mt. Rose Highway to the north end of Washoe Valley being an allegedly extravagant six lanes rather than four.  I'm sure there will be some sort of upgrading of that intersection eventually but I haven't heard much to suggest that "late 2020s" is a realistic timeline any more.

Let's be honest, Vegas legislators already have issue with anything being done or considered up here in the north.
But yeah, I don't see late 2020's being realistic either.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.