News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

patched California guide signs

Started by agentsteel53, June 30, 2010, 10:33:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheStranger

Took a slightly longer route home from work...and the old "99 Fresno" patch sign where 99 south transfers from the WX to the South Sacramento Freeway is now gone, replaced with a retroreflective one. :(

However, at least one of the Los Angeles glue-stain signs remains near a ramp!

---

Here's another clearly modified 1970s-era sign, on the Route 99 ramp that bridges I-5 south and US 50/Business 80 east:

https://www.aaroads.com/california/images005/i-005_sb_exit_518_02.jpg

The US 50 shield on the left doesn't appear to be original at all, I suspect that once was an Interstate 80 sign.  Not sure if Fresno was always the control on that one, I think it was though.

The right sign clearly didn't always have a TO and the I-80 shield on there (not Business 80 mind you!) is too new to be original.
Chris Sampang

agentsteel53

Quote from: TheStranger on June 30, 2010, 09:26:05 PM
Here's another clearly modified 1970s-era sign, on the Route 99 ramp that bridges I-5 south and US 50/Business 80 east:

The US 50 shield on the left doesn't appear to be original at all, I suspect that once was an Interstate 80 sign.  Not sure if Fresno was always the control on that one, I think it was though.

The right sign clearly didn't always have a TO and the I-80 shield on there (not Business 80 mind you!) is too new to be original.

that looks to be a porcelain sign, so maybe even 1960s.  That's one of those hideous new shields that CA has used since 1999, so I wonder if the original 80 shield fell down - either the original red, white, and blue, or the business shield - or if it was a 50 shield that fell down.  In any case, something must've fallen down, to need a replacement so recently.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

TheStranger

Quote from: agentsteel53 on June 30, 2010, 10:05:58 PM

that looks to be a porcelain sign, so maybe even 1960s.  That's one of those hideous new shields that CA has used since 1999, so I wonder if the original 80 shield fell down - either the original red, white, and blue, or the business shield - or if it was a 50 shield that fell down.  In any case, something must've fallen down, to need a replacement so recently.

It seems like 99 was only acknowledged as a through route in signage installations from about 1972 to the mid-1990s, so this probably dates back to when the interchange was first constructed.

I would bet 99% that it is not a 50 shield that fell down - CalTrans has never signed 50 west along the freeway from about Stockton Boulevard to West Sacramento, even though the road post-1982 has been called that by locals for both directions (which is correct).  That newer 80 shield has been up for about 4-5 years as far as I know, I've been seeing it for a while.

Yeah, the brand new as of 2009 "Interstate 80 West" sign at the split between 50/80B west and 99 north bugs me, even though it would have been accurate 28 years ago. :p
Chris Sampang

Interstate Trav

I was wondering does anybody have a photo of the 10 west Los Angeles at Verbenia Ave, just west of Palm Springs California.  the sign had a patch over what I always thought was a US 60 shield.  the sign has been removed, but just wondering if anyone had a photo by any chance

jrouse

Quote from: TheStranger on June 30, 2010, 12:55:00 PM
Quote from: agentsteel53 on June 30, 2010, 12:40:40 PM
Quote from: TheStranger on June 30, 2010, 12:32:35 PM
Where was that located?!
somewhere in west Sacramento.  It was a bear 16 with no logo, dating it to April or May 1957.

Interestingly, if 1982 was the year that example was removed...Route 16 was still on the River Road/Sunset Avenue/Reed Avenue/Sacramento Avenue/C Street alignment through the then unincorporated locale, so it probably was replaced with the modern green sign - as opposed to being removed.

I don't think the Reed Avenue exit off of I-80 (then I-880) ever acknowledged Route 16, since the signage there appears to be original.

The Reed Avenue exit actually sported Route 84 shields at one time, as Reed Avenue was part of that route. The shields were greened-out, though.  The entire panels were eventually replaced sometime in the mid- to late-80s.

jrouse

Quote from: TheStranger on June 30, 2010, 09:26:05 PM
Took a slightly longer route home from work...and the old "99 Fresno" patch sign where 99 south transfers from the WX to the South Sacramento Freeway is now gone, replaced with a retroreflective one. :(

However, at least one of the Los Angeles glue-stain signs remains near a ramp!

---

The US 50 shield on the left doesn't appear to be original at all, I suspect that once was an Interstate 80 sign.  Not sure if Fresno was always the control on that one, I think it was though.

According to the as-built plans from the 1983 re-signing as part of the rerouting of I-80, the left panel had, from left to right, an I-80 shield, a US-50 shield, and a CA-99 shield, with a control city of Reno.  In the re-signing, the US-50 shield was moved in place of the I-80 shield, and a Business 80 shield was put in its place.  The control city was changed to Fresno.   

On the left panel, prior to 1983, there was an Interstate 80 shield.  It was replaced by a Business 80 shield, which subsequently fell off and was replaced with the TO panel and the I-80 shield.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.