News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Remove part of I-10 in LA?

Started by Revive 755, April 25, 2011, 10:12:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Revive 755

Bottom of article:
http://urbanland.uli.org/Articles/2011/Apr/SkelleyFreeway

So far I can't find any other mention of this via Google.

SimMoonXP

Maybe could change the roadway structure to Rosa Mays Parkway. Could eliminate some interchanges and make some traffic signal in moderate size road, but major road could have smaller size interchange as diamond ramp, as get rid cloverleaf ramps. Could have reconstruction at I-405 at I-10 freeway as major interchange as freeway - parkway type...as no more freeway - freeway.

Go west to Santa Monica, California. Interstate 10 (Rosa Mays Parkway) should end at 20th Street as joins with Olympic Blvd. Major intersection as Parkway-Freeway at I-10 and I-405. Then end Rosa Mays Parkway at Overland Avenue. Rosa Mays Parkway should eliminate, as new alignment should be on National Blvd/Exposition Blvd then Turn Left on Venice Blvd. Then just west of Interstate 110 intersection, the Viaduct bridge freeway begin as Venice Freeway (to be name). But further project should get rid of bridge as becoming Venice Parkway as surface roadway for I-10. Keep bridge at south of downtown Los Angeles is bad idea cuz will collaspe during major earthquake. End of Subject at Interstate 5 and California 60 freeway interchange.

Quillz

I can't see that happening at all.

Henry

Quote from: Quillz on April 26, 2011, 01:05:08 PM
I can't see that happening at all.
And besides, everyone says California invented the freeway, so it would make no sense to take one away now.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

agentsteel53

if we're talking about boulevards, I'd rather have Fair Oaks Blvd in Arden and Carmichael (just east of Sacramento), which is lined with trees, has a speed limit of 40 and the occasional traffic light ... and I've never considered that a slow route at all...

as opposed to your typical suburban arterial, say Mira Mesa Blvd here in San Diego, where the speed limit is 50, but the lights are always out of sync, the scenery is nothing but suburban blight (malls, office buildings, high-fenced closed-off residential neighborhoods), and I find myself needing 30 minutes to travel 4 miles. 
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Truvelo

The best example is Aurora Ave in Seattle where the first 3 miles or so out of the city has no traffic lights because all turns are to the right. There are bridges every now and then for cross traffic and left turns. Surely this is the best compromise between the aesthetics of a boulevard and the traffic capacity of a freeway.
Speed limits limit life

Anthony_JK

More New Urbanist/Smart Growth MADNESS, I see.

Where they get this nonsense that 6-lane boulevards would carry more traffic than freeways is beyond me.

The only excuse they have for this whack proposal is to make traffic so horrific that people will run over to their beloved trains and light rail..which just isn't going to happen.

Anthony

Interstate Trav

I can't see removing the Santa Monica Freeway, one of the busiest freeways in Los Angeles as a good iea.  The streets in that area are already a mess.  Santa Monica Blvd, Wilshire Blvd, Venice Blvd, Washington Blvd.  If the 10 was gone and just a Parkway then those Streets would be even worse.   

Quillz

Also people forget that S.F. is not L.A. The charm of S.F. is the idea that you have unobstructed views of the Bay. L.A. was designed for the automobile, the freeway system is as much a part of the city's heart and soul as the cable cars are to S.F. or the subway is to NYC. It may sound stupid, but living in L.A. means having a love-hate relationship with the freeways.

Hence why this will never happen.

english si

I-10 is below street level in Santa Monica. Perhaps put a lid on it there?

hm insulators

Quote from: english si on April 27, 2011, 08:05:45 AM
I-10 is below street level in Santa Monica. Perhaps put a lid on it there?

They should put a lid on the whole proposal to remove the I-10! :pan: :pan: :pan:

As Frank Zappa once put it, "There's more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe and it has a longer shelf life." :spin:

Seriously, I agree with Quillz: It'll never happen.
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

rschen7754

Seems like a solution looking for a problem.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.