News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

US highway you miss the most in California

Started by Interstate Trav, July 24, 2011, 03:45:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Interstate Trav

Title pretty much says it all, what US highway that was decommsioned or turned into a state route, do you miss the most, and/or would like to see brought back?

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Stephane Dumas

The usual suspects US-40, US-66, US-91, US-99. ;)

Bickendan

nexus73

99, 60, 6 from LA to 395 and thence to Bishop.  PCH as ALT US 101 would be pretty cool but unless we extend the main US 101 along it's former route, it makes no sense to redo 1.  Maybe a "Historic" sign treatment?  Lord knows California is loaded with historic routes!

Getting more El Camino Real signs/bells along with Redwood Highway signs along the length of 101 would help emphasize the tourism side of that route more. 

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

xonhulu

kurumi

My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

Riverside Frwy

Quote from: Stephane Dumas on July 24, 2011, 04:17:27 PM

Definitely, same here. I imagine my beloved CA-91 as a US shield...

Ditto on US 6. The current US 6 in CA is lame.

TheStranger

Quote from: Riverside Frwy on July 24, 2011, 11:01:34 PM
Quote from: Stephane Dumas on July 24, 2011, 04:17:27 PM

Definitely, same here. I imagine my beloved CA-91 as a US shield...

It's amazing though that only half of today's Route 91 was ever part of US 91!  (The segment west of I-5 is former pre-1964 Route 14)
Chris Sampang

agentsteel53

live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

NE2

That too. And US 101E. But not US 101W.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

agentsteel53

Quote from: NE2 on July 25, 2011, 02:40:47 PM
That too. And US 101E. But not US 101W.

yeah, I lived off of US-101W in San Diego not too long ago, so I will take up the task of properly missing it.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Alps

Quillz

Alex

U.S. 80, especially if it could go back to Point Loma.

huskeroadgeek

US 99. I know this is often not the case, but I always think of a US route as a "higher classification" than a state route. A state that is as long N-S as California is should have another US route besides US 101 and US 395. US 101 is the coast route, US 395 is the mountain route, and US 99 was the valley route-and thus the main N-S route. Of course I-5 took over most of that, but it is different enough from it through much of the state that I think it should still have its own existence. A city as big as Fresno should not only be served by state routes.

Interstate Trav

I say US 66 for the historical value, but also US 99 would be another contender.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.