Changing attitudes towards expelled students

Started by bandit957, January 30, 2019, 11:04:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bugo

Quote from: formulanone on January 30, 2019, 06:39:47 PM
Piecing together your posts, I feel as if there's a whole series of dangerous incidents that which happened decades ago which weren't explained to the right people at the right time. And that must suck, to be honest.

But...Nobody cares what you (or anyone else) did in high school. Why should anyone care about your situation over 25 years ago? Everyone else has moved on as an adult, and nobody cares much about how exciting your specific situations were because it's impossible to relate. The echoes of the past are silent and the individual actions of history are all but forgotten.

I care. No matter what you think of Bandit, his posts generate a lot of conversation, much of which is hilarious. I've been a fan of his for years now.

bandit957

Quote from: bugo on February 03, 2019, 11:08:09 PM
I graduated high school in 1992 and I never saw a cop in school except at an anti-drug brainwashing event in middle school. When I first learned that there were cops in schools that stayed there all day, it blew my mind. I can't imagine what it must be like having a cop patrolling your school hallway. When I was in high school, kids openly traded pocketknives in the classroom and the rednecks would come to school with a hunting rifle in the rack in the back window of their pickup trucks. Now they would be arrested and charged with a crime.

I also graduated in 1992, and I never saw cops regularly patrolling schools. But the alternative class regularly called the cops when kids acted up. There was a class for younger kids there (maybe 10 or 11), and I remember seeing the cops stomp in and arrest kids.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

bugo

Quote from: Scott5114 on February 03, 2019, 03:18:42 AM
24. Bartholomew purchased one kilogram of marijuana for $25.
a) If Bartholomew divides the weed into 10-gram bags, how many bags will he have?
b) If Bartholomew sells each bag for $1, what will his profit margin be on each bag?
c) If Bartholomew sells all of the bags, how much profit will he make altogether?
Be sure to show your work on a separate piece of paper.

10 grams for $1? Where is Bartholomew's dispensary located? That's damn cheap. 10 grams would cost you anywhere between $50 and $200 in Oklahoma dispensaries right now. Prices are high because there isn't a lot of product out there yet and growers are asking astronomical prices for flower and concentrates but it will soon be harvest time and there will be a glut of product on the market. There are dozens of dispensaries about to be open. Tulsa alone dispensaries that are licensed by the OMMA. Some of these dispensaries will never open and quite a few still haven't opened yet. New stores are opening all the time but there are still a lot of dispensaries that are marked "Coming soon!" on Weedmaps. The glut of product combined with intense competition should drive prices down. There are only about 40,000 registered patients in the state which makes a small number of potential customers. It's going to be interesting to see from such a close vantage point.

Scott5114

Quote from: 1 on February 03, 2019, 09:18:53 AM
The math problem isn't that difficult. I didn't think marijuana was that cheap, though. At that price, a container of dimes and quarters would be worth more than the same weight of marijuana.

Quote from: bugo on February 04, 2019, 03:37:48 AM
10 grams for $1? Where is Bartholomew's dispensary located? That's damn cheap. 10 grams would cost you anywhere between $50 and $200 in Oklahoma dispensaries right now. Prices are high because there isn't a lot of product out there yet and growers are asking astronomical prices for flower and concentrates but it will soon be harvest time and there will be a glut of product on the market. There are dozens of dispensaries about to be open. Tulsa alone dispensaries that are licensed by the OMMA. Some of these dispensaries will never open and quite a few still haven't opened yet. New stores are opening all the time but there are still a lot of dispensaries that are marked "Coming soon!" on Weedmaps. The glut of product combined with intense competition should drive prices down. There are only about 40,000 registered patients in the state which makes a small number of potential customers. It's going to be interesting to see from such a close vantage point.

I dunno about your school, but in mine, everything in word problems involving money was priced absurdly high or low, probably out of a desire to not want to revise the problems between textbook editions to track inflation. I considered making the prices more realistic, but I figured a thorough survey of weed prices probably isn't something someone with no OMMA card should have in their search history.

Quote from: abefroman329 on February 03, 2019, 08:16:24 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on February 03, 2019, 08:09:04 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on February 03, 2019, 03:18:42 AM
24. Bartholomew purchased one kilogram of marijuana for $25.
a) If Bartholomew divides the weed into 10-gram bags, how many bags will he have?
b) If Bartholomew sells each bag for $1, what will his profit margin be on each bag?
c) If Bartholomew sells all of the bags, how much profit will he make altogether?
Be sure to show your work on a separate piece of paper.

Are you trying to weed out the math experts here?  :-D :-D :-D

I'm sure the potheads here can figure this one out pretty quickly.
a) 100
b) 75 cents
c) $75

The answer to 24b is actually 75% (margin is expressed as a percentage). 75¢ is the markup. Half credit.

Quote from: bugo on February 03, 2019, 11:08:09 PM
When I first learned that there were cops in schools that stayed there all day, it blew my mind. I can't imagine what it must be like having a cop patrolling your school hallway.
In my experience, they didn't really do much other than occasionally interrupt classes to sit up at the front and BS with the teacher.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

abefroman329

I think the lesson we can all learn from this is "people who've never done drugs really shouldn't attempt drug humor."

bugo

I know. But the thought of 10 cent grams is hilarious so I had to run with it.

hbelkins

a) If H. Belkins pays $20 to enter an all-you-can-eat buffet, how much money will the owners lose?
b) How long will it take H. Belkins to start blubbering about the fact that I made this joke, in seconds?

I don't know who this H. Belkins character is, but I certainly can't eat as much as I used to. I don't frequently patronize buffets these days, because I certainly don't get my money's worth anymore.

And aren't you making unwarranted assumptions about this H. Belkins person, considering you've never met him before?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

abefroman329

Quote from: hbelkins on February 04, 2019, 12:06:30 PM
a) If H. Belkins pays $20 to enter an all-you-can-eat buffet, how much money will the owners lose?
b) How long will it take H. Belkins to start blubbering about the fact that I made this joke, in seconds?

I don't know who this H. Belkins character is, but I certainly can't eat as much as I used to. I don't frequently patronize buffets these days, because I certainly don't get my money's worth anymore.

And aren't you making unwarranted assumptions about this H. Belkins person, considering you've never met him before?
A sense of humor is a wonderful thing. Get one.

kevinb1994

Quote from: abefroman329 on February 04, 2019, 12:20:33 PM

That's what she said.  :bigass:

abefroman329

Quote from: kevinb1994 on February 04, 2019, 02:09:53 PM

In England they say "said the actress to the Bishop."

kevinb1994

Quote from: abefroman329 on February 04, 2019, 02:21:08 PM
Quote from: kevinb1994 on February 04, 2019, 02:09:53 PM

In England they say "said the actress to the Bishop."

And so the Bishop danced.

Takumi

It'd require the subject material to be funny though...
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

abefroman329

Quote from: Takumi on February 04, 2019, 04:35:59 PM

It's hilarious to me.  Whether it's funny to you, or any other boarder, is no concern of mine.

kphoger

Quote from: abefroman329 on February 04, 2019, 04:48:45 PM
It's hilarious to me.  Whether it's funny to you, or any other boarder, is no concern of mine.

It was a joke, dude.  Get a sense of humor.

- K. Phoger
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

abefroman329

Quote from: kphoger on February 04, 2019, 04:53:24 PM
Quote from: abefroman329 on February 04, 2019, 04:48:45 PM

It was a joke, dude.  Get a sense of humor.

- K. Phoger
Are you sure it's not K.P. Hoger?

Scott5114

Quote from: abefroman329 on February 04, 2019, 07:22:06 AM
I think the lesson we can all learn from this is "people who've never done drugs really shouldn't attempt drug humor."

It was more meant to be a "textbook math problems are silly and out of touch" joke (would anyone called Bartholomew on a daily basis smoke weed?), but eh, if it wasn't funny, it wasn't funny.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Takumi

Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

abefroman329

Quote from: Scott5114 on February 05, 2019, 04:19:05 AM

It was more meant to be a "textbook math problems are silly and out of touch" joke (would anyone called Bartholomew on a daily basis smoke weed?), but eh, if it wasn't funny, it wasn't funny.
In fairness, there are probably no more than 5 people in history who were ever able to do drug humor well.

hbelkins

Quote from: abefroman329 on February 05, 2019, 08:57:33 AM

In fairness, there are probably no more than 5 people in history who were ever able to do drug humor well.

Cheech & Chong were two of them. The other three?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

vdeane

I thought it was hilarious, but then, I don't know anything about drugs.  I just thought it was funny to see a stereotypical math word problem after someone asked "what sort of drug problem".
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: hbelkins on February 05, 2019, 10:34:11 AM

Josh Gordon?
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

abefroman329

Quote from: hbelkins on February 05, 2019, 10:34:11 AM

I don't really know, I didn't have anyone in mind when I threw out that hypothetical.  I would probably submit Robin Williams (before he went clean), Mitch Hedberg, and P.J. O'Rourke.

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

abefroman329

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.